Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Coming of Age (Results), DtC - Ratings (Results), 1933 (May 12th), 1970s (May 29th)
Challenges: Japan, Mystery/Thriller, Western
Film of the Week: La donna del lago, June nominations (May 28th)

Forum Maintenance.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

Dark theme is back!
Also fixed the spoiler background and the announcement background.

What I still need to do:
Figure out what to do about the font discussion above
Active topics layout tweaks.
That huge blank space when you zoom under 90%
Figure out why the last page links are not working for some people.

Plus some other stuff that isn't related to the forum layout.

At this point other than the above I think all styles are restored and layout issues are resolved, so please let me know of any issues. Be sure to clear cache and force refresh the page as sometimes old stuff hangs around for a bit.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 30th, 2020, 6:33 am Dark theme is back!
Small problem still with the spacing of the topic icons (dl.row-item {background-position:5px 50%;} instead of 10px 50% looks a lot better). The icons themselves also clash a bit with the theme, but loving this theme. Never knew it existed :D
PeacefulAnarchy

Onderhond wrote: December 30th, 2020, 8:20 am
PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 30th, 2020, 6:33 am Dark theme is back!
Small problem still with the spacing of the topic icons (dl.row-item {background-position:5px 50%;} instead of 10px 50% looks a lot better).
I agree, I'll change this in a minute.

Dark theme was actually my main theme for a couple of years until I switched to prosilver or flat a few months ago for reasons I can't recall. I'm so used to the icons that I can't fairly judge them.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Well, the colors are very bright, which clashes a little with the muted/dark design, but it's nothing I won't get used to :)
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Oh, and maybe another minor fix for the dark theme: .text-strong {color:#fff;} maybe, so the bold pops a bit more? It's hardly visible in this theme (which makes the knock-out thread hard to follow).

Edit: also, the hover color of the signature links is super dark blue (i.e. pretty much unreadable).
PeacefulAnarchy

Should I go light for the hover colour of the links, or use the same change background format as the usual links? I don't recall why they're different than the inline links, may have been intentional for some reason I've forgotten or may have just been something I overlooked.

That pure white is a little too bright for me for the bold, but I agree something closer to that would be good. Maybe .text-strong {color:#e0e0e0;} it pops more than the current grey but still a bit muted. I'm going to bed now but I'll look at those things tomorrow.
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 30th, 2020, 6:33 am
At this point other than the above I think all styles are restored and layout issues are resolved, so please let me know of any issues. Be sure to clear cache and force refresh the page as sometimes old stuff hangs around for a bit.
We still have the small icon next to thread # and when clicking on a thread title it always bring you to first page not the page/post you last read like before.

#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 30th, 2020, 8:54 am Should I go light for the hover colour of the links, or use the same change background format as the usual links? I don't recall why they're different than the inline links, may have been intentional for some reason I've forgotten or may have just been something I overlooked.
I see the background-color change for hover is explicitly overridden for the signature links, not sure why. I'm also not the most design-y person, I'd be fine with a simple removal of the underline on hover to be honest, otherwise just remove

.signature a, .signature a:hover {background-color: transparent;}

for the black theme I guess :)
PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 30th, 2020, 8:54 am Maybe .text-strong {color:#e0e0e0;}
:cheers:
PeacefulAnarchy

hurluberlu wrote: December 30th, 2020, 9:19 am
We still have the small icon next to thread # and when clicking on a thread title it always bring you to first page not the page/post you last read like before.

The icon will always be there, it's an indicator that the thread has unread posts. But yeah, I have to figure out why the full title links aren't working for some people.
PeacefulAnarchy

Onderhond wrote: December 30th, 2020, 9:40 am
PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 30th, 2020, 8:54 am Should I go light for the hover colour of the links, or use the same change background format as the usual links? I don't recall why they're different than the inline links, may have been intentional for some reason I've forgotten or may have just been something I overlooked.
I see the background-color change for hover is explicitly overridden for the signature links, not sure why. I'm also not the most design-y person, I'd be fine with a simple removal of the underline on hover to be honest, otherwise just remove
Yeah the override was almost certainly there in the original for whatever design reason, all of these styles are my heavy edits of other styles. My edits are 90% colour switches plus a slight bit of rearranging of a few key elements. I didn't add any variables, just modified the existing ones. I just don't know if that's one I forgot to change at the time or if I changed it consciously to what it is now for some reason. There are other things where the original style used different colours where I made them the same.

I'll change it soon.
PeacefulAnarchy

Could you, or someone else having this issue, post a screenshot of the settings on this page: ucp.php?i=ucp_prefs&mode=view

I'm very stumped as to why this isn't working and the only reason I can think of is some setting you have in common.
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 30th, 2020, 7:58 pm

Could you, or someone else having this issue, post a screenshot of the settings on this page: ucp.php?i=ucp_prefs&mode=view

I'm very stumped as to why this isn't working and the only reason I can think of is some setting you have in common.
Here it is, never touched it.

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 30th, 2020, 7:47 pm The icon will always be there, it's an indicator that the thread has unread posts. But yeah, I have to figure out why the full title links aren't working for some people.
Did we have it before really ? I remember I used to refer to the larger icons to see if there was anything unread, but maybe I overlooked the smaller page icon or it had a different color.

ImageImageImageImage
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

The main link for me is: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4787
The indication to latest unread is: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4787&view=unread#unread
The link to last post (icon on the right, next to the username) is: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4787&p=681153#p681153

Not quite certain what the 'f' parameter (changing it doesn't do anything) is for, but 't' is for topic. Without anything else there, it's clearly not going to go to the right post.
PeacefulAnarchy

f is forum. t is topic p is post, The narrowest value always overrides the other ones, so if you link a post, topic and forum aren't necessary, but the links are generated by code I have never touched. All I did was replace the which version of the link is used by the topic as a whole.
hurluberlu wrote: December 30th, 2020, 9:36 pm
PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 30th, 2020, 7:47 pm The icon will always be there, it's an indicator that the thread has unread posts. But yeah, I have to figure out why the full title links aren't working for some people.
Did we have it before really ? I remember I used to refer to the larger icons to see if there was anything unread, but maybe I overlooked the smaller page icon or it had a different color.
Yes, it was always there, same colour and size.
hurluberlu wrote: December 30th, 2020, 9:36 pm Here it is, never touched it.
Thanks. Doesn't seem like that's the issue. :shrug: I'll figure it out.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

I have the exact same settings as hurluberlu btw, it isn't working for me either.
PeacefulAnarchy

As far as I can see there is only one singular place where that code is called, it's a real mystery to me. No settings anywhere should affect it, and if the little button link to the last post then it's not a parsing issue. They call the exact same function, so there no reason I can see why one would work but not the other.

I just changed it and changed it back, but I doubt that fixed anything.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Onderhond wrote: December 30th, 2020, 9:50 pm I have the exact same settings as hurluberlu btw, it isn't working for me either.
And I have the exact same settings, but it is working for me.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 30th, 2020, 10:09 pm I just changed it and changed it back, but I doubt that fixed anything.
Can I get 5 cent if my gamble is correct?

I'm guessing the ones where it isn't working are talking about the active topics page?
PeacefulAnarchy

Onderhond wrote: December 30th, 2020, 10:14 pm
PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 30th, 2020, 10:09 pm I just changed it and changed it back, but I doubt that fixed anything.
Can I get 5 cent if my gamble is correct?

I'm guessing the ones where it isn't working are talking about the active topics page?
Ohhhhhh. OK, yeah it's not there. That is something I can fix.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

:cowbow:
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 30th, 2020, 7:58 pm

Is this what you are looking for?
PeacefulAnarchy

Yeah, but I think I figured it out if it's about active topics. BTW both the word censoring and Flash animation options don't actually do anything since the board blanketwide disallows flash and we don't have and word filters.
PeacefulAnarchy

Is it fixed now?

Note: Flat style should be good but the other three have column display issues going on on the right side. I'm working on that.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 30th, 2020, 10:39 pm Is it fixed now?
Perfect! Thanks!
PeacefulAnarchy

I think I know how to fix the other display issue on the right, so it should be fixed in a minute.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Note: Flat style should be good but the other three have column display issues going on on the right side. I'm working on that.
Seems so .. :lol:
PeacefulAnarchy

Wonky display should be fixed on the two prosilver ones, Dark seems to have a slightly different issue, hopefully it's an easy fix, though.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

If you mean that clicking the topic title gets you to the first unread post, not so sure. One time it seemed to work, this last time it took me to the top of page 5 of this thread when I've obviously read further than that.

Also, here's what my Active Topics looks like on prosilverSE

Last edited by xianjiro on December 31st, 2020, 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 30th, 2020, 10:50 pm Wonky display should be fixed on the two prosilver ones, Dark seems to have a slightly different issue, hopefully it's an easy fix, though.
dd.forum {width: 125px;}

These lines seem to be missing from the dark theme.
PeacefulAnarchy

Yeah, that's the weirdness I just fixed. Might need to do ctrl F5 a couple times until it sticks.

I just fixed it on dark too.

Taking you to the last page but not the last post if there are no unread has always been the case. Fixing that would require more work on my part since I'd have to add a condition to the code. I might look into it later.
Onderhond wrote: December 30th, 2020, 10:56 pm
PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 30th, 2020, 10:50 pm Wonky display should be fixed on the two prosilver ones, Dark seems to have a slightly different issue, hopefully it's an easy fix, though.
dd.forum {width: 125px;}

These lines seem to be missing from the dark theme.
Yeah, I fixed it.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 30th, 2020, 10:58 pm
Taking you to the last page but not the last post if there are no unread has always been the case. Fixing that would require more work on my part since I'd have to add a condition to the code. I might look into it later.
sounds good then - not sure it needs to be 'fixed'

part of the difficulty is we took how the site worked for granted until things changed. It's not always easy to adequately remember what was this way or that, but we do have a sense things are different and don't feel quite right.
PeacefulAnarchy

xianjiro wrote: December 30th, 2020, 11:02 pm
PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 30th, 2020, 10:58 pm
sounds good then - not sure it needs to be 'fixed'

part of the difficulty is we took how the site worked for granted until things changed. It's not always easy to adequately remember what was this way or that, but we do have a sense things are different and don't feel quite right.
It's back to how it was before, so in that sense it doesn't need to be fixed. However it's not really natural behaviour and it would be better if it went to the last post. I'd like it to go to the last post, I just haven't wanted to spend the time to figure it out.
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

Thanks !
Onderhond wrote: December 30th, 2020, 10:14 pm Can I get 5 cent if my gamble is correct?

ImageImageImageImage
PeacefulAnarchy

Fixed the two issues with dark theme brought up earlier:
bold colour and signature link hover

I think we should be good except for those zoom issues.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

so this is how Active Topics will look going forward?

edit: this seems to be an issue related to how wide the browser is, but there's no way I'm going to keep my browser window set to maximum. It's too damn wide for reading text that is already less friendly on the eyes. I've also now noticed how changing the default font in the browser is screwing with other websites.
Last edited by xianjiro on December 31st, 2020, 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeacefulAnarchy

No, it should look like this:
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

I edited my last post, probably as you were posting your screenshot
PeacefulAnarchy

Yeah, I'm seeing that, I'll fix it. It collapsed fine in another style sheet so I assumed it would collapse fine in that one too.

And yes, changing the default font, just like changing the zoom, messes with a lot of websites in weird ways. Unfortunately, as websites get more and more complex, even simple looking ones have all sorts of interrelated settings.
PeacefulAnarchy

xianjiro wrote: December 31st, 2020, 1:06 am I edited my last post, probably as you were posting your screenshot
OK, how is it now. Also I changed the post font back since it wasn't solving joachim's issue anyway.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

btw, the collapse of the dark style yields even more bizarre results