Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Coming of Age (Results), DtC - Ratings (Results), 1933 (May 12th), 1970s (May 29th)
Challenges: Japan, Mystery/Thriller, Western
Film of the Week: La donna del lago, June nominations (May 28th)

Forum Maintenance.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

OK, I'll make a note. I'm not sure where I could change that so no promises.
PeacefulAnarchy

Major changes to the default template complete. Still have a few things to fix and I must have missed the topics links thing because it doesn't seem to be working but I'll fix that.

If It's not showing force a refresh a few times to get the style sheet to reload. ctrl F5

If you're one of the couple dozen people on dark or Prosilver SE I should get to those tonight.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

I use flatstyle plz don't forget meeeee
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

For me at least, the icons (pencil, x, ! etc) are overlapping with the writing in your last post in this thread and I also saw it in another thread.

My font is also showing to me as blue?
PeacefulAnarchy

AdamH wrote: December 28th, 2020, 1:41 am For me at least, the icons (pencil, x, ! etc) are overlapping with the writing in your last post in this thread and I also saw it in another thread.

Yeah the pencil overlapping thing I won't get to tonight, but I'll try to sort it. It doesn't happen with quotes, so it should be fixable.

The blue font is for new posts. Pretty sure it was like that before.
mightysparks wrote: December 28th, 2020, 1:40 am I use flatstyle plz don't forget meeeee
I won't pretty sure the rest shouldn't take too long now.
PeacefulAnarchy

Links now go to unread. Got a few other things to do on the main template, then I'll do the others.
PeacefulAnarchy

xianjiro wrote: December 12th, 2020, 10:12 am okay, something that's kind of annoying: previously I had a column (second) display which sub-forum the thread is in. While I see this information under the thread title, it's a bit harder to find. I'd generally look at the second column, if it says "challenges" I just scan down until it doesn't. Then I'd look to the left to see if it's a topic I follow.
I tried to fix this but it messed up the display. I've put it on hold while I do the other stuff but I'll come back to it and try again later.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

I'm seeing the old version of the forum again. I think. I don't quite remember what it looked like, but I think it was exactly this. Either way, it looks better.
🏳️‍⚧️
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
PeacefulAnarchy

There are still a few changes to be made. Also, if you used the flat style that might be it too, as the flat style is very similar but slightly different. The rounded corners are the biggest tell, but there are a few other tiny things.

Also the announcement background colour needs to be changed, that was a big noticeable thing. The major changes are done though so it should look pretty similar.
PeacefulAnarchy

xianjiro wrote: December 12th, 2020, 10:40 am One other issue (maybe you're aware) but having the emojis on the right actually means more scrolling - most of the (data entry) field scroll up before I see the three action buttons at the bottom (preview and submit)
This is fixed now.
PeacefulAnarchy

AdamH wrote: December 28th, 2020, 1:41 am For me at least, the icons (pencil, x, ! etc) are overlapping with the writing in your last post in this thread and I also saw it in another thread.

I removed the blue font for new posts. Also the icons should no longer be overlapping text.

Also Favicon is back.

I think on the main style the only things left are the announcement background and the active replies displaying views instead of subforum.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Everything looks a lot better.

Don't forget the thing which allows youtube or twitter links to integrate directly with the forum page.
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome »

blocho wrote: December 28th, 2020, 3:52 am Don't forget the thing which allows youtube or twitter links to integrate directly with the forum page.
Yeah, that’s the only remaining feature I’d like to get back soon.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
PeacefulAnarchy

Oh Yeah, I did forget. I made a new list and it's on it. I'll try to get to it tomorrow, I want to do the other styles first.
PeacefulAnarchy

sol wrote: December 27th, 2020, 10:55 am Oh, and if we could get rid of the "open in new window" symbols next to every link. It's annoying. :ermm:
That Symbol should be gone.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 28th, 2020, 1:33 am If you're one of the couple dozen people on dark or Prosilver SE I should get to those tonight.
I'm one of those, I think. This is what the forum header looks like to me at the moment:

Great to have Active Topics back. :banana:
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 28th, 2020, 3:58 am
sol wrote: December 27th, 2020, 10:55 am Oh, and if we could get rid of the "open in new window" symbols next to every link. It's annoying. :ermm:
It's not gone yet. Or, do you mean that it will be gone when you finish updating? :unsure:
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
PeacefulAnarchy

sol wrote: December 28th, 2020, 4:00 am
PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 28th, 2020, 3:58 am
It's not gone yet. Or, do you mean that it will be gone when you finish updating? :unsure:
Press ctrl F5 it should be gone. It's gone for me.

And yes prosilver SE is next, it has some issues as you showed.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 28th, 2020, 4:02 am Press ctrl F5 it should be gone. It's gone for me.
WTF. That actually worked. :satstunned:
Image Image Image
PeacefulAnarchy

sol wrote: December 28th, 2020, 4:03 am
PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 28th, 2020, 4:02 am Press ctrl F5 it should be gone. It's gone for me.
WTF. That actually worked. :satstunned:
When you browse a website and revisit it doesn't download everything again, only what it believes has changed, so layout changes like that stay with the old version unless you force it to do a full update. It does fix itself eventually, after some time it decides the page may have changed on its own and downloads everything again.

If any page seems to be displaying weird press Ctrl F5 first, to double check.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Amazing tip. Thanks, PA! :thumbsup:
Image Image Image
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Thanks for all the work PA and providing us with updates.

One thing I want to check is this:

I thought that the massive space above the text, equal to the height of profile info at the left, was related to the updates, but it doesn't seem like others are having the same issue based on max's screenshot in my screenshot, even though we appear to be using the same theme. Is there some setting I need to reenable to get rid of that empty space?
PeacefulAnarchy

After trying various things, it appears that happens if you zoom your browser under 100%. I'm not sure why that's happening, but that's the cause. I've put it on my list to look into later, but I have no idea if that's something I can fix.
PeacefulAnarchy

sol wrote: December 28th, 2020, 3:58 am
PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 28th, 2020, 1:33 am If you're one of the couple dozen people on dark or Prosilver SE I should get to those tonight.
I'm one of those, I think. This is what the forum header looks like to me at the moment:

Great to have Active Topics back. :banana:
Prosilver-SE should be good to go but I don't really like the way the logo looks on Prosilver SE, did it always look like that?

If anything isn't working or looks weird on it let me know.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Amazing work, PA!
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Thanks PA.

Yes, I have my default zoom set to 90% in my browser, so that makes sense. Putting it back to 100% fixes it, but everything is so big now, lol.

I don't see anything wrong with the logo at top... what looks different to you?

Also, a few things still seem to be different in the Prosilver theme:

My username is hard to read in white, and there is no discernible colour difference between read and unread messages - it used to be grey or light blue or something (I forget what exactly).
PeacefulAnarchy

I remember that, I must have fixed it live on the server last time, I'll find it and fix it.

It's not that the logo looks different, it's that it feels very pasted in, there's also a red tinge on the left and blue tinge on the right. I never used prosilver SE so I don't remember what it looked like, last time I looked at it was 2 years ago.

Edit: The blue reply colour is back, I don't know why I didn't change anything since then.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Also, just noticed the way the forum pages display read/unread forums/posts has changed, and I find it confusing (and ugly).

It's hard to tell the different between the two icons since they're the same dark blue colour, and the little extra page (if that's what it is) is not very distinctive (i.e. it's there for 3 of them, but not there for the List Discussion forum) - and it's not clear to me what they mean now.

IIRC the red and blue bubble indicate "hot" topics or not, but the bright red asterisk is new to me, and the pinned posts having a grey background is new and counterintuitive since it looks like those posts are now unread.

In hindsight, I should have taken screenshots of what it all looked like before you did the updates, to better explain the differences. I didn't realize all of this was going to change, though.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 28th, 2020, 7:40 am I remember that, I must have fixed it live on the server last time, I'll find it and fix it.

It's not that the logo looks different, it's that it feels very pasted in, there's also a red tinge on the left and blue tinge on the right. I never used prosilver SE so I don't remember what it looked like, last time I looked at it was 2 years ago.

Edit: The blue reply colour is back, I don't know why I didn't change anything since then.
Thanks.

Re: logo - the "pasted in" look doesn't bother me, and I didn't notice the tinges at the sides until you mentioned it and I took a closer look. Looks like they're 1-pixel in width. I rarely pay attention to the main logo at the top, though, so it's a non-issue for me. :lol:
PeacefulAnarchy

Fergenaprido wrote: December 28th, 2020, 7:41 am Also, just noticed the way the forum pages display read/unread forums/posts has changed, and I find it confusing (and ugly).

It's hard to tell the different between the two icons since they're the same dark blue colour, and the little extra page (if that's what it is) is not very distinctive (i.e. it's there for 3 of them, but not there for the List Discussion forum) - and it's not clear to me what they mean now.
The extra ones means the forum has subforums. It really doesn't matter for the forums.
Fergenaprido wrote: December 28th, 2020, 7:41 am IIRC the red and blue bubble indicate "hot" topics or not, but the bright red asterisk is new to me, and the pinned posts having a grey background is new and counterintuitive since it looks like those posts are now unread.
Asterisk means you posted in the thread. Greyed out means they're read, full colour means they have unread posts.

If those weren't the icons prosilver SE had then I can take a look and put the others back. I do have a backup of what it was before the update. Also while the icons are different, the star means posted and faded means fully read were always true whatever the prosilver icons were.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 28th, 2020, 7:45 am
Fergenaprido wrote: December 28th, 2020, 7:41 am Also, just noticed the way the forum pages display read/unread forums/posts has changed, and I find it confusing (and ugly).

The extra ones means the forum has subforums. It really doesn't matter for the forums.
Fergenaprido wrote: December 28th, 2020, 7:41 am IIRC the red and blue bubble indicate "hot" topics or not, but the bright red asterisk is new to me, and the pinned posts having a grey background is new and counterintuitive since it looks like those posts are now unread.
Asterisk means you posted in the thread. Greyed out means they're read, full colour means they have unread posts.

If those weren't the icons prosilver SE had then I can take a look and put the others back. I do have a backup of what it was before the update. Also while the icons are different, the star means posted and faded means fully read were always true whatever the prosilver icons were.
Ah, okay. Never notice the asterisks before, if they were there. Actually kind of handy.
Yeah, I remembered the faded icons meant the thread was read, but highlighting the pinned posts like that confuses me. Maybe I'm easily confused :D
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

:cheers:
PeacefulAnarchy

Fergenaprido wrote: December 28th, 2020, 7:54 am
PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 28th, 2020, 7:45 am

Ah, okay. Never notice the asterisks before, if they were there. Actually kind of handy.
Yeah, I remembered the faded icons meant the thread was read, but highlighting the pinned posts like that confuses me. Maybe I'm easily confused :D
These were the icons, right?:
ImageImage
ImageImage
There were others, of course, just confirming I'm looking at the right set.
PeacefulAnarchy

I think the rest of prosilver-SE and the flat and black styles will wait for tomorrow.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Yes, those were the icons. :thumbsup:
PeacefulAnarchy

OK, I can't sleep so Prosilver SE icons and username colour are fixed.

Flat and squareblack tomorrow.

Then I've got the following on my list:
Youtube/tweet/etc embeds Fixed this.
Active topics layout tweaks
change announcement background
the under 100% zoom thing

If anything other than the above is broken on Prosilver(default, not really prosilver anymore) or Prosilver-SE let me know and I'll look into it.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 28th, 2020, 6:09 am Prosilver-SE should be good to go but I don't really like the way the logo looks on Prosilver SE, did it always look like that?

If anything isn't working or looks weird on it let me know.
Yes, the logo always looked like that. A little weird because of the white (not transparent) background, but this is the header that I have grown so accustomed to over time. Amazing to have it back. :D
Image Image Image
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 28th, 2020, 2:01 am Links now go to unread. Got a few other things to do on the main template, then I'll do the others.
Doesn't work for me. Clicking the topictitle still brings me to first page. I still have to click the little symbol left of the title.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

joachimt wrote: December 28th, 2020, 1:01 pm
PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 28th, 2020, 2:01 am Links now go to unread. Got a few other things to do on the main template, then I'll do the others.
Doesn't work for me. Clicking the topictitle still brings me to first page. I still have to click the little symbol left of the title.
This was working (for me) a few hours ago. I don't know if PA did anything to change it...
Image Image Image
PeacefulAnarchy

joachimt wrote: December 28th, 2020, 1:01 pm
Haven't changed anything and it works for me. did you force refresh the page?