Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Coming of Age (Results), DtC - Ratings (Results), 1933 (May 12th), 1970s (May 29th)
Challenges: Japan, Mystery/Thriller, Western
Film of the Week: Akage, June nominations (May 28th)

Forum Maintenance.

yllow

Post by yllow »

This is looking really good thanks
RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 »

Cheers PA! I've switched back to the blue layout and it looks really good. Nice work!
That's all, folks!
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Thanks PA. Things look much more familiar to me now. And the linking to the most recent post works for me.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

sol wrote: December 28th, 2020, 4:04 pm
joachimt wrote: December 28th, 2020, 1:01 pm
PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 28th, 2020, 2:01 am Links now go to unread. Got a few other things to do on the main template, then I'll do the others.
Doesn't work for me. Clicking the topictitle still brings me to first page. I still have to click the little symbol left of the title.
This was working (for me) a few hours ago. I don't know if PA did anything to change it...
I've reloaded my active topics a couple of times using <ctrl>+F5 and the only way I don't end up at post #1 is by clicking on the little icon to the left of the topic. I just double checked that functionality to make sure it's not working. Also, I made sure to click on a topic I know I've read.

I don't expect it would matter which template we are using would it?
PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

xianjiro wrote: December 28th, 2020, 9:09 pm
sol wrote: December 28th, 2020, 4:04 pm
joachimt wrote: December 28th, 2020, 1:01 pm
Doesn't work for me. Clicking the topictitle still brings me to first page. I still have to click the little symbol left of the title.
This was working (for me) a few hours ago. I don't know if PA did anything to change it...
I've reloaded my active topics a couple of times using <ctrl>+F5 and the only way I don't end up at post #1 is by clicking on the little icon to the left of the topic. I just double checked that functionality to make sure it's not working. Also, I made sure to click on a topic I know I've read.

It doesn't work on flat, but it should work on the others. I'll be fixing up flat later today.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 28th, 2020, 9:14 pm
xianjiro wrote: December 28th, 2020, 9:09 pm
sol wrote: December 28th, 2020, 4:04 pm This was working (for me) a few hours ago. I don't know if PA did anything to change it...

It doesn't work on flat, but it should work on the others. I'll be fixing up flat later today.
just checked, I'm using prosilver SE
PeacefulAnarchy

Do you have another browser that you don't usually use for the forum that you can login to and use to check? It works for me an others so it could be a cache thing or a browser thing or maybe some account setting, I don't really now what it could be.
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 28th, 2020, 9:37 pm Do you have another browser that you don't usually use for the forum that you can login to and use to check? It works for me an others so it could be a cache thing or a browser thing or maybe some account setting, I don't really now what it could be.
Same here - going directly to Unread Posts is not working in either Firefox or Edge. FF is my main browser, I've cleared the cache and forced a reload, but same thing. I logged into the forum here on Edge (never logged into the forum on Edge before), and same.

When I hover over the link text, it says "Unread Posts", but the link itself seems to be missing the "&view=unread#unread" part of the URL that's on the icon to the left, which does go to Unread posts.
PeacefulAnarchy

Hmm, ok I'll look into it further.
PeacefulAnarchy

xianjiro wrote: December 28th, 2020, 9:24 pm just checked, I'm using prosilver SE
maxwelldeux wrote: December 28th, 2020, 10:12 pm Same here - going directly to Unread Posts is not working in either Firefox or Edge. FF is my main browser, I've cleared the cache and forced a reload, but same thing. I logged into the forum here on Edge (never logged into the forum on Edge before), and same.

When I hover over the link text, it says "Unread Posts", but the link itself seems to be missing the "&view=unread#unread" part of the URL that's on the icon to the left, which does go to Unread posts.
Could one of you switch to the normal prosilver and see if it works there?
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 29th, 2020, 1:32 am
xianjiro wrote: December 28th, 2020, 9:24 pm just checked, I'm using prosilver SE
maxwelldeux wrote: December 28th, 2020, 10:12 pm Same here - going directly to Unread Posts is not working in either Firefox or Edge. FF is my main browser, I've cleared the cache and forced a reload, but same thing. I logged into the forum here on Edge (never logged into the forum on Edge before), and same.

Could one of you switch to the normal prosilver and see if it works there?
Nope. Same behavior, even after a forced refresh. Using normal ProSilver
PeacefulAnarchy

So it doesn't work on that either? Hmm. That's stumping me. It indicates that it's somehow either account or browser based, but I can't think of what it could be. If the little button does work then it's not the browser just consistently stripping that part of the link which would have been my first guess.

If anyone else has this issue let me know. I'll keep thinking about it.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

I usually use Chrome to access the forum. Tried Firefox (which I may have used at one time, but not for many, many months or even years) and had the same issue. Changing to to prosilver in Firefox and reloading the page didn't change a thing.

Will say I'm not too worried since I'm already retrained to click on the little boxes (before thread title) so as long as they're there, I'm fine. It just seems odd that it's working normally for some but not for others.
PeacefulAnarchy

I'll put it on my list and get back to it. All I can think of is some forum setting interfering with it for some reason, but I can't think of any any.
PeacefulAnarchy

Flat style isn't quite right :( I'll try to fix it quick, if not I'll revert and try again.

Edit: I've narrowed down the problem to one file, but it's a big one, so it'll take a bit.

Edit2: OK, I think it's good, one tiny { was all it was.
Last edited by PeacefulAnarchy on December 29th, 2020, 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Update
PeacefulAnarchy

mightysparks wrote: December 28th, 2020, 1:40 am I use flatstyle plz don't forget meeeee
Should be done, let me know if there are issues.

Only the dark style to go, and then the couple of lingering issues.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Still doesn't work for me. Even after Ctrl+F5. I'm on Prosilver in Chrome.

Btw, I don't like the current font at all. Everything looks bold to me, except it's not, because I can see the difference if anything is actually bold. Maybe I should switch to another board preference?
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
PeacefulAnarchy

Fergenaprido wrote: December 28th, 2020, 12:38 am Here's an example: https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/?ta ... %2Bnanovic

On my screen, the section "gs=director%3Avojislav" is replaced by an "...".
After some tests and searches I'm pretty sure this is a parser thing, not a display thing. I may be able to change this behaviour, but I can't promise so. I'll look into it, though.
PeacefulAnarchy

joachimt wrote: December 29th, 2020, 6:57 am Still doesn't work for me. Even after Ctrl+F5. I'm on Prosilver in Chrome.

Btw, I don't like the current font at all. Everything looks bold to me, except it's not, because I can see the difference if anything is actually bold. Maybe I should switch to another board preference?
What doesn't work. Can you take a screenshot for the bold font thing? It most definitely doesn't look bold to me and I don't think the font was even something I changed.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 29th, 2020, 6:51 am
mightysparks wrote: December 28th, 2020, 1:40 am I use flatstyle plz don't forget meeeee

Don't notice any changes :/
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

PeacefulAnarchy

mightysparks wrote: December 29th, 2020, 7:05 am

Clear cache, Ctrl F5, it most definitely changed in noticeable ways.
PeacefulAnarchy

Here's what the three fixed styles should look like:
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 29th, 2020, 7:07 am
mightysparks wrote: December 29th, 2020, 7:05 am

Clear cache, Ctrl F5, it most definitely changed in noticeable ways.
Yea clearing cache did it, I did the hard refresh but always forget about the cache. It still looks unchanged on my phone though, so idk what to do there.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

I still have to click the little icon to get to the last unread post, but idk if that was something you still had to fiddle with.

PeacefulAnarchy

mightysparks wrote: December 29th, 2020, 7:19 am I still have to click the little icon to get to the last unread post, but idk if that was something you still had to fiddle with.
No, that should be fixed too. I wonder why that's working for some but not others. I don't know if it's a cache issue or some forum setting you all have in common. Hopefully I'll figure it out tomorrow.
PeacefulAnarchy

mightysparks wrote: December 29th, 2020, 7:18 am Yea clearing cache did it, I did the hard refresh but always forget about the cache. It still looks unchanged on my phone though, so idk what to do there.
I think you can clear a specific site's data on chrome on the phone, but it's a maze of menus. Might just have to wait. It works for me without having done anything, so maybe it won't take too long.

Maybe being connected on WiFi helps, phones have all sorts of settings of when they refresh what.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 29th, 2020, 7:00 am
joachimt wrote: December 29th, 2020, 6:57 am Still doesn't work for me. Even after Ctrl+F5. I'm on Prosilver in Chrome.

What doesn't work. Can you take a screenshot for the bold font thing? It most definitely doesn't look bold to me and I don't think the font was even something I changed.
Sorry. Thought you were still talking about the "topic title doesn't go to unread" problem. Was referring to that.
I just cleared cache only for icmforum.com in this way. Didn't help.

About the font. Looks like this to me:

I know it's not bold, but the letters look thicker to me than what I'm used to, I think. Or smaller. Not sure, but it doesn't read very pleasantly. My browser is at 100%.
ICM-profile
PeacefulAnarchy

joachimt wrote: December 29th, 2020, 8:18 am My browser is at 100%.
Interesting, because I only get that if I go 130% or above. It doesn't look like that at 100% for me. Let me check something

Edit: Nope, that's not it

Can you PM me a screenshot of this settings page: ucp.php?i=179

The size of my avatar in that screenshot makes me think you're at 150%. Maybe it's in a browser or OS setting instead of the normal webpage zoom setting.

Edit: Bold Test below
Maybe it's in a browser or OS setting instead of the normal webpage zoom setting.
PeacefulAnarchy

I changed it, I'm not 100% sure about it, my initial attempt ended up changing other unexpected things for reasons I don't understand. This second attempt seems ok, but I may still change it back. I'll leave it for now and come back to it tomorrow.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

I can't the display settings of Windows 10 to 125% (from 150%) and now it doesn't look bold to me, but just too small to pleasantly read it.
ICM-profile
PeacefulAnarchy

With the change you should be fine at 150%. This font doesn't do that bolding thing.

As an aside,
I don't know how people can deal with windows being perma 150, though. The whole point of a high res monitor to me is being able to fit more on the screen and 150 ruins that. I do occasionally zoom in sites but having everything big would bother me.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 29th, 2020, 10:33 am As an aside,
I don't know how people can deal with windows being perma 150, though. The whole point of a high res monitor to me is being able to fit more on the screen and 150 ruins that. I do occasionally zoom in sites but having everything big would bother me.
Doesn't that depend on the size of your monitor as well? I switched to 125% now to see if I would prefer it, but things look annoyingly small on my laptop. I don't mind button being a little smaller, but letters are so small it's almost hard to read. And I don't have an eyesight problem at all.
ICM-profile
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

This new font is going to take a lot of getting used to. :(
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
PeacefulAnarchy

joachimt wrote: December 29th, 2020, 2:32 pm
Doesn't that depend on the size of your monitor as well? I switched to 125% now to see if I would prefer it, but things look annoyingly small on my laptop. I don't mind button being a little smaller, but letters are so small it's almost hard to read. And I don't have an eyesight problem at all.
Yeah, it also depends on what you're used to, as well as what you're using the computer for. Personally I prefer to have everything small and zoom in if needed than have everything big and zoom out, even on a laptop. Windows does, as you say, encourages people into those settings, so to some degree I'm the strange one for not using it. Do note that windows has a separate font size setting, so you can set the screen to 100% but the font to something bigger. I don't use it on desktop monitors but I do use it on laptops because the pixel density is such that yeah, reading at 100% is too small. For me that's a good compromise.
sol wrote: December 29th, 2020, 3:43 pm This new font is going to take a lot of getting used to. :(
I might change it back or find a different solution, give it a day.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 29th, 2020, 6:22 pm
Yeah, it also depends on what you're used to, as well as what you're using the computer for. Personally I prefer to have everything small and zoom in if needed than have everything big and zoom out, even on a laptop. Windows does, as you say, encourages people into those settings, so to some degree I'm the strange one for not using it. Do note that windows has a separate font size setting, so you can set the screen to 100% but the font to something bigger. I don't use it on desktop monitors but I do use it on laptops because the pixel density is such that yeah, reading at 100% is too small. For me that's a good compromise.
I just tried increasing the text size, but then the text on this forum looks bold again.
ICM-profile
PeacefulAnarchy

joachimt wrote: December 29th, 2020, 6:29 pm
PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 29th, 2020, 6:22 pm
I just tried increasing the text size, but then the text on this forum looks bold again.
Weird, it does it for me too, but I could have sworn it didn't last night. I'll keep tinkering, but that bolding is tied to the zooming so I don't know if it's really something I can solve.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

sol wrote: December 29th, 2020, 3:43 pm This new font is going to take a lot of getting used to. :(
agreed - for me, it's a bit on the thin side and I'm finding it more difficult to read (than I remember it being yesterday). Unfortunately, font isn't something I can change in the forum settings.
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

xianjiro wrote: December 29th, 2020, 9:17 pm
agreed - for me, it's a bit on the thin side and I'm finding it more difficult to read (than I remember it being yesterday). Unfortunately, font isn't something I can change in the forum settings.
But you can change it in your browser settings. I don't know if it's possible to make it site-specific, but it might be worth your time to look into..?
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Knaldskalle wrote: December 29th, 2020, 9:24 pm
xianjiro wrote: December 29th, 2020, 9:17 pm
But you can change it in your browser settings. I don't know if it's possible to make it site-specific, but it might be worth your time to look into..?
I only see basic settings for preferred font for standard, serif, sans-serif, fixed width. I'm trying a different sans font which is a bit easier for me to see.
PeacefulAnarchy

Browser override is always a possibility, but it risks messing other things up (as does changing the zoom value, obviously). The forum uses at least 4 different fonts for various elements and some changes will break things.

I'll play around with things later so we'll see. It's theoretically possible for me to make it a site option, but that's probably more than I'm capable of doing.
Test
Have to fix spoiler colours