Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th), Favourite Movies (Mar 28th)
Challenges: UK/Ireland, Directed by Women, Waves from around the World
Film of the Week: Der Wald vor lauter Bäumen, April nominations (Apr 1st)

The Holidays and a Pandemic

This Holiday Season I plan to:

Poll ended at January 9th, 2021, 8:54 pm

Dial it way up this year: I/we really need joy right now.
5%
Do nothing different - damn the virus, it's time to celebrate making it this far!
5%
Avoid parties, but will still celebrate with family and close friends like always.
14%
Keep it low-key this year: just the household.
23%
I can't bare to think about it! OR I never observe winter holidays. OR Don't know.
7%
PLEASE SELECT ONE CHOICE ABOVE THIS LINE AND ONE BELOW
No votes
Shop a lot more in stores this year: they need the money.
7%
Shop a lot more online than ever before.
2%
Spend about the same as I usually do.
34%
Spend less since my income has decreased.
5%

Total votes: 44

xianjiro
Donator

The Holidays and a Pandemic

Post by xianjiro »

So, with the various year-end holiday celebrations looming, how are you planning to keep your preferred holiday traditions in the wake of Covid?
Last edited by xianjiro on November 25th, 2020, 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Except for one year, Thanksgiving is always just Mom and I. We're just going to eat turkey and dressing tomorrow. Wouldn't be seeing anybody else anyway.

For Christmas, we can't go to a movie, but Soul and Wonder Woman 1984 premiere on streaming, so we'll watch those and eat something good.
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

I've added the requisite poll - two choices, revotes allowed.

I've tried to do have two concepts in this one: one about celebrating, the other about shopping. Since two choices are allowed, the hope is users will select one for each. Note: "PLEASE SELECT ONE CHOICE ABOVE THIS LINE AND ONE BELOW" is my trial of this idea.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

The poll is missing the option that best describes me: I don't celebrate any of these holidays.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

blocho wrote: November 25th, 2020, 9:11 pm The poll is missing the option that best describes me: I don't celebrate any of these holidays.
Try "I can't bare to think about it! OR I never observe winter holidays. OR Don't know." right above the break.

Or do you think it still doesn't fit somehow? :)
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

BTW, regarding spending (second half) I thought "Spend about the same as I usually do." would fit for those who don't do any special shopping for the winter holiday season. (Which normally includes me, but I went all out and bought a wreath from a school fundraiser this year)
tazz_85

Post by tazz_85 »

Thanksgiving in Europe, it's just another day like any other day. We don't celebrate that.
The holidays is just gonna be me and my mom. Basically like any other year.
I still live at home, with my mom. But it's still so weird to say, i still say i live with my parents. but my dad died this summer from cancer.
So the first Christmas without my dad, and not allowed to celebrate with family :(
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

tazz_85 wrote: November 25th, 2020, 9:31 pm Thanksgiving in Europe, it's just another day like any other day. We don't celebrate that.
We get all the Black Fridays and Cyber Mondays though. I hope they start banning these excessive sales/periods because it's starting to drive me mad.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

tazz_85 wrote: November 25th, 2020, 9:31 pm Thanksgiving in Europe, it's just another day like any other day. We don't celebrate that.
The holidays is just gonna be me and my mom. Basically like any other year.
I still live at home, with my mom. But it's still so weird to say, i still say i live with my parents. but my dad died this summer from cancer.
So the first Christmas without my dad, and not allowed to celebrate with family :(
So sorry for your loss! I can't imagine how tough that must be for you and your mom. Best wishes to the both of you. My dad is alive, but I have nothing to do with him because he's terrible and lives quite far away anyway.
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

I'm "Dial it way up this year: I/we really need joy right now." - I've made nearly this exact statement to my wife. But our version of dialing it way up is low-key to most folks I talk to. I mean, we didn't even decorate last year. This year, we'll decorate and maybe even watch a couple Christmas movies. So cranking it from a 1 to a 3 when it goes up to 11 is... not that impressive.

Spending about the same is also just because I don't buy people shit and don't plan to start. A couple small things for parents and some stuff for Wife. That's it.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Yeah, for me, buying the wreath is "a lot more" than my usual years which means I don't buy gifts. Occasionally I've made presents, but that's rather hit or miss and mostly miss this past decade.

I also detest all the Black Friday/Cyber Monday BS too! I avoid both like, well, a plague! But it does rather suggest that global nature of life in the early 21st Century if people around the planet are getting sucked into the madness.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

xianjiro wrote: November 25th, 2020, 9:19 pm
blocho wrote: November 25th, 2020, 9:11 pm The poll is missing the option that best describes me: I don't celebrate any of these holidays.
Try "I can't bare to think about it! OR I never observe winter holidays. OR Don't know." right above the break.

Well, it's not the first time I've been proved a fool for not completely/carefully reading something.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Does anyone celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving? How is it different? Is it superficially the same but different in some ineffable and disquieting way, like Seth Brundle after he goes through the telepod in The Fly? :lol:
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

blocho wrote: November 25th, 2020, 10:23 pm

Well, it's not the first time I've been proved a fool for not completely/carefully reading something.
It wasn't my goal to make you feel at all foolish: I can see how that got lost as this poll had lots of reading. :(
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

xianjiro wrote: November 25th, 2020, 10:38 pm

It wasn't my goal to make you feel at all foolish: I can see how that got lost as this poll had lots of reading. :(
Nah, don't take me seriously. I'm just making fun of myself.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

blocho wrote: November 25th, 2020, 10:39 pm
xianjiro wrote: November 25th, 2020, 10:38 pm

Nah, don't take me seriously. I'm just making fun of myself.
:thumbsup:
3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes »

Friday is International Buy Norhing Day. I got my grandkids' Zmas presents sent last week.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

No pandemic here, so business as usual most probably visiting my grandparents. There's a chance I'll be going on holiday with my boyfriend but not if that's happening yet. I don't buy presents so spending as usual lol
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

kongs_speech wrote: November 25th, 2020, 8:47 pm For Christmas, we can't go to a movie, but Soul and Wonder Woman 1984 premiere on streaming, so we'll watch those and eat something good.
Thanks for the heads up on Wonder Woman 1984... been waiting for that ever since I saw the first film in March, right before the lockdown started.

I'm at my parent's for Thanksgiving, even though it's not my household. My latest swab was negative so my mom let me in the door. My relatives from Canada usually visit, but not this year.
Christmas will probably be similar. We usually have people in, but will instead deliver food to them and do a Zoom meeting. Thankfully I only buy gifts for a few people and I'm pretty much done with that, save a few comestibles from the local Italian market.
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

blocho wrote: November 25th, 2020, 10:26 pm Does anyone celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving? How is it different? Is it superficially the same but different in some ineffable and disquieting way, like Seth Brundle after he goes through the telepod in The Fly? :lol:
My relatives celebrate it about the same as American Thanksgiving. One year about a decade ago my uncle smoked the turkey outside while he was practicing for an axe throwing contest south of the border. Good times.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

I have a few people to buy gifts for:

mom
my best friend + her husband (already got his gift) + their 3 daughters
other friend + his wife + their son

It sounds like a lot, but they're all people I care about enough to make the effort. No idea what the hell I'm getting Mom this year. It needs to be something really nice, with everything she has had to deal with this year and taking care of my medical needs every day. It's absolutely useless to ask her what she wants. She's one of those "oh, you don't have to get me anything" people. I'm like "DAMMIT WOMAN, YOU DESERVE CHRISTMAS."
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

I will celebrate the holidays (Christmas) low-key with just family, like I do every year. So not much else than any other year.

I will spent the same amount of money on gifts. Biggest difference is that I will do all online and none in shops.
metaller
Donator

Post by metaller »

I think Christmas will be more low key. What I'll likely miss most here in Germany are the Christmas markets. Most years I go to Christmas markets to meet with friends or family at least once a week during december. Nothing like Glühwein and something hot to eat from the grill to warm you up in the cold weather.

Christmas eve will likely be my girlfriend and my parents. On Christmas day I usually go to a christmas dinner with the whole extended family from my moms side and in the evenings we gather at friends to relax, give our firends gifts and chillax (and drink a lot). The whole Christmas day events will likely be cancelled this year.

For gifts: about the same as always.
albajos

Post by albajos »

Thankfully we don't have Thanksgiving

For Yuletide I'm self-quarentining for 10 days first before going to my mum. Thankfully my stepbrother also lives here so we drive together and I don't need to sit several hours obn a train and ruin the quarentine
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

metaller wrote: November 26th, 2020, 11:04 am What I'll likely miss most here in Germany are the Christmas markets. Most years I go to Christmas markets to meet with friends or family at least once a week during december. Nothing like Glühwein and something hot to eat from the grill to warm you up in the cold weather.
I've been curious what Christmas markets are like in Germany since first hearing about them.

We do have two types of things in the my part of the US that might be similar: many churches and some other organizations have Christmas Bazaars where people sell things they make (usually as a hobby). These are often fundraisers. Also, every year but this year, after Farmers Markets close down (usually around Halloween) for the colder, wetter winter months, some will have a one off holiday themed market about this time. There might or might not be the same merchants from the regular season, but they definitely have a holiday theme and often coincide with the lighting of the city's Christmas tree.

I generally don't go to many of these, but used to make a point of going to the Christmas Bazaar that was hosted by the community hospital since it usually was the same day I went to the library (but that library was closed down as was the bazaar and who knows what else now they've been taken over).
metaller
Donator

Post by metaller »

Most of the markets are commercial in nature. In my city we have actually more like 4 or 5 different markets.

A regular market has most of those booths (often multiple of each):
Food and drinks: There is typical food and drinks that is heavily associated with the markets. Often there are even regional specialities. Like where I live there are two different kinds of sausage roll that are only sold in this variety here.

You have booths with grills for sausages and meat, booths for crepes, for langos, Baumstriezel and lots of other stuff. For drinks it is usually Glühwein (mulled wine), punch, or just a lot of other (mostly alcoholic) beverages that you usually drink warm to hot.
Gifts: Mostly artisinal (small) gifts that are sold at hefty prices. Leatherwares, jewellery that kind of stuff.
Sweets: If you didn't eat enough sausage, you can take a lot of different sweets back home or eat them as desert.
Decoration: Lots and lots of different artisinal christmas decoration.
And most of the markets have some booths for social stuff. Often you find the red cross or similar organizations running a tombola (raffle?) to get some donations.

That's the usual. Often there is music, bigger markets tend to have a small, whimsical carousel for little children.

Then there are alternative markets, where everyone is only selling organic stuff (and often more intersting music). Then we have a market that is organized from and for social initiatives where refugees or homeless people run the booths and sell more unusual stuff, selling self baked pies and the like.
And we have a big even more commercial market run by the remnants of the local aristocracy at the palace. Contrary to the other markets you have to pay an entrance fee and everything is even more expensive.

A smaller market:

The standard market:

At the palace:
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

One of the perks of COVID, no Christmas (or Winter - inclusivity you know) Markets this year!
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

One user's pleasure is another's pain - or so it seems.

Thanks for the info, @metaller! I think there is a similarity between our local version, though believe it or not, can't say there is much in the way of regional specialties to try. More like a few food carts, so unless the taco truck run by the family across the street counts - and last I checked, this isn't the home of any kind of Mexican food - it's just whatever people buy.

I'm always a bit reluctant to assume that what happens here is what happens elsewhere, but this does rather make me think of the Christmas festival in Steel Magnolias - the 1989 version. In a normal year, there's some sort of festival almost every weekend in downtown Portland - from the appropriative Cinco de Mayo "observation" to, forget what the big food fest (I think that's what it is) over Labor Day weekend is called. Some years they would have a Winter Brew Fest where you pay a hefty price to stand in line to 'sample' beer. There's always something going on: lots of money to be made.

But hey, gotta admit these festivals are pretty popular and since we don't have a local public market of any real size, they do fill that gap. Portland's been trying to build something that would replicate Pike Place Market in Seattle or Faneuil Hall in Boston, but I don't think the economics really allow for it in the modern era without sizable government investment.
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

xianjiro wrote: November 27th, 2020, 3:22 am
metaller wrote: November 26th, 2020, 11:04 am What I'll likely miss most here in Germany are the Christmas markets. Most years I go to Christmas markets to meet with friends or family at least once a week during december. Nothing like Glühwein and something hot to eat from the grill to warm you up in the cold weather.
I've been curious what Christmas markets are like in Germany since first hearing about them.

We do have two types of things in the my part of the US that might be similar: many churches and some other organizations have Christmas Bazaars where people sell things they make (usually as a hobby). These are often fundraisers. Also, every year but this year, after Farmers Markets close down (usually around Halloween) for the colder, wetter winter months, some will have a one off holiday themed market about this time. There might or might not be the same merchants from the regular season, but they definitely have a holiday theme and often coincide with the lighting of the city's Christmas tree.

I generally don't go to many of these, but used to make a point of going to the Christmas Bazaar that was hosted by the community hospital since it usually was the same day I went to the library (but that library was closed down as was the bazaar and who knows what else now they've been taken over).
As a kid I was dragged to the Christmas market in Lübeck in Northern Germany. It's basically like what you describe, only on a big scale (think hundreds of stalls, thousands of people) and then lots of what comes with large scale events: food stalls and so on. It's an opportunity to buy Christmas decorations of various kinds, possibly some Christmas presents for those who like "artsy-crafty" stuff and then an opportunity to walk around and look at stuff you'd never want in your home and buy some overpriced junk food that just hits the spot because it's cold and you're hungry. At least that's my recollection of it. Though I have to day I did learn to love "curry wurst" on that trip.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.