Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Coming of Age (Results), DtC - Ratings (Results), 1933 (May 12th), 1970s (May 29th)
Challenges: Japan, Mystery/Thriller, Western
Film of the Week: Akage, June nominations (May 28th)

In Memoriam: Mathias Aeschlimann

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

In Memoriam: Mathias Aeschlimann

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

I'm friends with mathiasa on facebook. There was a photo last month of him and his health condition clearly deteriorated. Today he has died.
jeroeno

Post by jeroeno »

Holy shit :rip:
72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm »

Oh no. I knew it was just a matter of time but that really sucks. He will be missed. :rip: (l)

Fuck cancer.
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

Damn, he was active on icm.com and checking movies two days ago. RIP mathias :rip:
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Pretentious Hipster wrote: November 9th, 2020, 6:54 pm I'm friends with mathiasa on facebook. There was a photo last month of him and his health condition clearly deteriorated. Today he has died.
Oh FUCK! :'(

I talked to him last week with a few PMs. I knew he was doing worse, he was hospitalized not too long ago and it seemed to me he wasn't going to go up again, but this is even quicker than I expected. Just a few days ago he was still talking about watching movies and KG ratio.

Here's a part of his PM from Nov 1st:
I'm surrounded by 360* by love and care, this is so much more important than I'd expected.

I still hope to view a lot of movies, share my thoughts with my friends, but the rate of deterioration has been great in the the last weeks, I hope it slows down again. I'm sometimes afraid of not being able to express myself coherently in the future. But this doesn't help so I'm focussing on the positive sides of my lives. And I'm so happy that my friends help me here, one just gave me 100GB Bonus on KG, now the ratio is positive again and I don't need no be afraid of any punishment. And I can finally work on the 500<400 and dtc lists. Another friend is coming tomorrow to install VPN so that I get easy access to his plex media server.

Love
Mathias
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
clemmetarey
Donator

Post by clemmetarey »

It's a really sad news, at least it was surrounded by his loved ones and that's the most important thing. I hope we were able to make him feel he was a member we cared about.
max-scl

Post by max-scl »

:( :rip:
RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 »

May he rest in peace.

I didn't know him all that well on here but I thought he expressed himself with a thoughtfulness and an intelligence that tended to be interesting. I was saddened to read of his deterioration over the last while. I hope that he didn't suffer too much.

I know from seeing an uncle and a school friend die over the last two years just what a terrible, ravaging thing cancer can be. I hope he went with the minimum of pain.
That's all, folks!
Leopardi
Donator

Post by Leopardi »

Oh god, I'm so sorry to hear this, terrible news indeed. You will be sorely missed, Mathias, and by many.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

He had such an incredible attitude all the way to the end. He will be sorely missed. :(
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

I was dreading this day but had a feeling it would come soon based on recent messages from Mathias. I feel terrible for not having sent him another PM in the past week or so because I had a bad feeling he wouldn't be able to fight much longer.

His positivity throughout the messages was incredible. No matter what was happening, he was able to be positive.

Very sorry that he has passed away. We actually met in London a few years ago (there were 10 or 11 of us there) for Napoleon. He wasn't very old at all. :(
tirefeet

Post by tirefeet »

Rest in peace Mathias.
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

Very sad.

I looked up some old posts...so he was only about 39, and had been fighting cancer for about 3.5 years. :(

He signed off with Fritz Lang's two-part Die Nibelungen epic. I can imagine that being a bucket-list film.
Last edited by Ebbywebby on November 9th, 2020, 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jvv
Donator

Post by jvv »

So sorry to hear this. Rest in peace Mathias.
burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan »

Very sad news. I hope he is at peace and his family and friends are taking time for themselves to heal. Rest in peace, Mathias.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

What horrible news
:rip: :rip: :rip:
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

RIP Mathias :rip:
"Art is like a fire, it is born from the very thing it burns" - Jean-Luc Godard
brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface »

Ah man, I did not want to see this thread, such horrible news. RIP Mathias. He was a really great contributor on here and genuine film enthusiast.
Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor »

Rest in peace. :(
Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović »

:rip:
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Very sad news. He was a great poster and I remember him being a very nice guy at the Napoleon meet-up. RIP
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

insomnius

Post by insomnius »

Sad to hear. :rip:
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Sorry to hear of his passing. My condolences to his family and friends.
Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin »

Sad to see this happen again. :rip:
Top 100 | Top 250

Member of the Experimental Mafia | What's My Line? #1 Fan

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Pretentious Hipster wrote: November 9th, 2020, 6:54 pm I'm friends with mathiasa on facebook. There was a photo last month of him and his health condition clearly deteriorated. Today he has died.
yes, very sad news indeed, but thank you for letting the rest of us know.

If, by any chance, the family posts any wishes, say a donation to a cancer fund or the like, would you let us know? An en memorium would be appropriate. If nothing else, please post that we remember Mathias fondly and the family is in our thoughts and prayers.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Terribly sad news. :(
Rest in Peace, Mathias.
funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness »

Rest in peace, Mathias. He always seemed like a very kind and generous person. He will be missed.

Thanks Art for letting us know.
tommy_leazaq
Donator

Post by tommy_leazaq »

Terribly sad to hear the news. :rip:
beavis

Post by beavis »

horrible news indeed
and i also salute his positive attitude, and love for movies till the end
we will remember him
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

xianjiro wrote: November 10th, 2020, 2:58 am
yes, very sad news indeed, but thank you for letting the rest of us know.

If, by any chance, the family posts any wishes, say a donation to a cancer fund or the like, would you let us know? An en memorium would be appropriate. If nothing else, please post that we remember Mathias fondly and the family is in our thoughts and prayers.
I was thinking something similar last night. Would be happy to donate to an appropriate cause if the family indicate a charity they'd like to donations to be made to.
shugs
Donator

Post by shugs »

Shit, man, he was so young. :( Always liked how enthusiastic he was about films. :rip:
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Sad news alright. I don't think we talked a lot directly, but he sure was a fun contestant in the rankdown games.

:rip:
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

He was watching movies and looking forward to more until the very end... (u) :rip:
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

I guess expected, but still sad. :( RIP.

I will always remember him for the couple of brief arguments I got into with him over libertarianism/Ayn Rand. In retrospect, I should have realized that he was actually really thinking about and reading up on these issues; not many people bother to do that. I think he put more mental effort into some of his opinions than a lot of us do and that's impressive, most of us are terribly lazy, let's face it. And I wish I'd discussed science fiction a bit more with him, he was knowledgeable and a fan in that area, and I think he's the person who was working on a TSZ-style massive list? I'll look for it now. Anyway, I've lost a bunch of people over the last year-and-a-half including I think at least one other internet friend from another site (don't know for sure), but all of them were over 70. 39 is tragic.
Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway »

OldAle1 wrote: November 10th, 2020, 4:59 pm And I wish I'd discussed science fiction a bit more with him, he was knowledgeable and a fan in that area, and I think he's the person who was working on a TSZ-style massive list?
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/they ... /mathiasa/
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Nathan Treadway wrote: November 10th, 2020, 5:04 pm
OldAle1 wrote: November 10th, 2020, 4:59 pm And I wish I'd discussed science fiction a bit more with him, he was knowledgeable and a fan in that area, and I think he's the person who was working on a TSZ-style massive list?
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/they ... /mathiasa/
Thanks. Too bad he wasn't able to work on it more.
jdidaco

Post by jdidaco »

We only interacted once really, but it was lovely: he nominated Christoph Schlingensief's 'Freakstars 3000' for DtC, I watched it, he saw my high rating for it, we shared our wicked love for that most mischievously playful of films, and we ended our brief interaction in the happiest of moods. In an ocean of "mehs" and lukewarm, almost bureaucratic, responses to film viewings, his enthusiasm and passion was a blessing. I'll make sure to find room this month to finally watch 'Cool as Ice' in his memory; to you mathiasa, :cheers:
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

Oh no... I knew he wasn't doing well, but I'd hoped he'd be able to hang in there for a while longer.

Rest in Peace, Mathias.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Some weird coincidence: Rok died on 9/11. Mathias died on 11/9. :(
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

Mathias was a participant in the first rankdown game I ran a few months back. He was a great participant who kept it fun along the way, and he always shared interesting perspectives on the films in the list. Even though he was in and out of the hospital he still made time to check the thread and make his cuts every round. I also remember that he saved Sullivan's Travels from elimination very early on and it wound up in our Top 10. Just a very positive person who knew how to make a silly forum game feel fun and meaningful for all involved.