Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Waiting for results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th), Favourite Movies (Mar 28th)
Challenges: UK/Ireland, Directed by Women, Waves from around the World
Film of the Week: Lean on Pete, April nominations (Apr 1st)

Trump v. Biden: A Septagenarian Scoundrel Skirmish for the Ages

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Onderhond wrote: November 10th, 2020, 6:03 am
PeacefulAnarchy wrote: November 9th, 2020, 11:34 pm Yeah I understand why, I don't understand how. It's probably a "me" problem that I can't "be in the moment" in that way. It's a sentiment that's not limited to elections, I see the same kind of thing in all sorts of areas of life. It's not that I don't understand or feel similar emotions, I'm just not inclined to express them that way, I guess.
I think for most it's not much different from rooting for a sports team/athlete. You pick a side, root for that side, you cheer them on and you're elated when they win. Even though you did absolutely nothing.
xianjiro wrote: November 10th, 2020, 2:25 am Repeatedly, party mailers (for both I'm told, though I only saw blue ones) promised things like "respond by DATE and your contribution will be tripled/quadrupled".
That's a very specific point though. Let's just start with the broad promises they make during campaigning and find a way to hold them accountable when they can't meet them.
Uhmmmm.... that's what the voting is for.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: November 10th, 2020, 10:23 am Uhmmmm.... that's what the voting is for.
"Public court" has proven itself wildly inefficient for that. I get the theory, but in reality it just doesn't work.
It would be nice to have more formal constructions in place that deal with politicians not delivering what they have promised.
weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy »

For every promise not kept, they have to cut off one of their fingers like it's a 60's yakuza film.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

Simple solution for Trump

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

https://speld.nl/2020/11/10/palestijnse ... emocraten/

Translates to: Palestinian prime minister Abbas on his way to America to lead peace negotiations between Republicans and Democrats.

~ Dutch version of The Onion
Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin »

Top 100 | Top 250

Member of the Experimental Mafia | What's My Line? #1 Fan

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Onderhond wrote: November 10th, 2020, 2:30 pm https://speld.nl/2020/11/10/palestijnse ... emocraten/

Translates to: Palestinian prime minister Abbas on his way to America to lead peace negotiations between Republicans and Democrats.

~ Dutch version of The Onion
That reminds me of this one, from 20 years ago... still have a copy of the physical issue (yes, it was a physical "news"paper, for those too young to remember and/or non-Americans who know it purely as a website):

https://www.theonion.com/serbia-deploys ... 1819565829

I would have hoped that the same joke - or variations on it - wouldn't be needed a second time in my lifetime...
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Onderhond wrote: November 10th, 2020, 10:49 am
Lonewolf2003 wrote: November 10th, 2020, 10:23 am Uhmmmm.... that's what the voting is for.
"Public court" has proven itself wildly inefficient for that. I get the theory, but in reality it just doesn't work.
It would be nice to have more formal constructions in place that deal with politicians not delivering what they have promised.
Well, another theory is it's the job of the Fourth Estate to monitor and keep score to enable the voters to render the appropriate verdict.

BTW, sounds like you're reading about Peruvian Presidential politics which have followed the Bolivian (and attempted Venezuelan) route. Once upon a time, Latin American governments were changed by military coup, now it takes place in the legislature.
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

Dolwphin wrote: November 10th, 2020, 4:04 pm
2024?
he or A. or Armo or any

currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD,
Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

North Carolina made an update. +1.3 now but still over +70K vote diff
Dolwphin wrote: November 11th, 2020, 5:19 pm Donald J Trump wins Alaska!
haha shock
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

I actually am surprised because Gravel won there before. But then again a lot can change in over 50 years
PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

Pretentious Hipster wrote: November 11th, 2020, 6:02 pm I actually am surprised because Gravel won there before. But then again a lot can change in over 50 years
Alaska can elect dem senators if they're local and hit the right buttons, but a national dem presidential candidate is something else entirely. It's plausible, but it has to be certain kind of candidate and neither Biden nor Harris are anything close to it.
Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin »

Democrats retain control of the House. They currently have exactly the required 218 seats. Republicans have flipped at least 9 seats. 15 seats left.

Republicans lead 49-48 in the Senate Elections.
Top 100 | Top 250

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin »

Republicans wins NC Senate Seat. They now lead 50-48. The two Georgia run-offs will decide which party control the Senate.
Top 100 | Top 250

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

I heard dems have a latent rep in their midst anyway.
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin »

Trump received 47 % of the vote in Starr County, TX (+55 % shift from 2016) and is currently winning Zapata County, TX. Donald Trump received 46 % of the vote in Miami-Dade County, FL (+22 % shift from 2016).
Top 100 | Top 250

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin »

Meet the type of voter who decided the Election for Biden:
Spoiler
Top 100 | Top 250

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

my new favorite quote

Speaking about various administration staffers, party functionaries, and election officials and their "going along" with the election fraud narrative, "said Loyola Law School professor Justin Levitt, a former Justice Department elections official. 'The attempt to soothe the president’s ego is not a victimless crime.' "

- source
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome »

Election Was Most Secure in American History, U.S. Officials Say
State and federal election officials, along with experts in the private sector, said they had “utmost confidence in the security and integrity” of the Nov. 3 vote, as President Donald Trump continues to make unfounded claims of fraud and key security officials involved in protecting elections leave the administration or expect to be fired.

“The Nov. 3rd election was the most secure in American history,” the officials said in a statement Thursday. “There is no evidence that any voting system deleted or lost votes, changed votes, or was in any way compromised.”
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

What about the report that some votes were allocated the wrong way?
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin »

Joe Biden wins Arizona (again) !
Top 100 | Top 250

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

At this point it's a race between Georgia and Arizona for the closest call.
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin »

Joe Biden wins Georgia! Donald Trump wins North Carolina!

Final Unofficial Electoral College Vote: Biden (306) - Trump (232)
Top 100 | Top 250

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin »

Annoying that Biden won Arizona & Georgia and destroyed my beautiful prediction. I'm particularly surprised that Biden won Georgia. I suppose the increased vote-by-mail due to Covid-19 overshadowed the legendary systemic voter suppression efforts. Same story obviously applies nationwide.

How close Trump came to win 270 ECV:

1. Arizona: 0.32 %
2. Georgia: 0.29 %
3. Pennsylvania: 0.87 %
Top 100 | Top 250

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin »

Dominion and Shadow is our trustworthy friends. The President is staging a fascist coup!

Top 100 | Top 250

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

It's a little sad, it's a little funny, but it's mostly worrisome that so few people from his own party dare to question Trump (let alone just throw him out).
Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin »

The election system infrastructure in US is actually highly vulnerable. Trump campaign have not presented any evidence of systemic election fraud tough. The judicial lawsuits they have filled don't amount to much of an allegation either.

Fox News and several Republicans have started to walk away from Trump. It would be electoral suicide to do it for most elected Republicans tough.
Top 100 | Top 250

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Dolwphin wrote: November 13th, 2020, 10:30 pm It would be electoral suicide to do it for most elected Republicans tough.
Oh noes.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

now ickle dondon knows exactly who Hillary felt four years ago.

the drama continues - wonder if anyone is still watching
weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy »

The claims of fraud and attacks on the election system are just laying the groundwork for more ridiculous claims and actions later.
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

Dolwphin wrote: November 13th, 2020, 8:33 pm Annoying that Biden won Arizona & Georgia and destroyed my beautiful prediction. I'm particularly surprised that Biden won Georgia. I suppose the increased vote-by-mail due to Covid-19 overshadowed the legendary systemic voter suppression efforts. Same story obviously applies nationwide.

more like 5K+7K+10K switching sides, from a tie
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

Armoreska wrote: November 14th, 2020, 12:53 am
Dolwphin wrote: November 13th, 2020, 8:33 pm Annoying that Biden won Arizona & Georgia and destroyed my beautiful prediction. I'm particularly surprised that Biden won Georgia. I suppose the increased vote-by-mail due to Covid-19 overshadowed the legendary systemic voter suppression efforts. Same story obviously applies nationwide.

I used to think this way too, but increasingly I'm of the opinion that people switching sides in the short term is incredibly rare. You're much more likely to convince two people who support you but don't feel like voting to vote than to convince one person who is willing to vote for the opposition to convert their vote to one for you. Especially in this election where everyone knows where they stand on Trump.
3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes »

:run: STILL the Gaffer!
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

hot off the rumor mill: certain Republicans are pressuring legislatures in certain battleground states to: 1) change the way they select Electors, namely void the selection process that is currently in place and 2) substitute Electors named by the legislature in question to, you feared it, vote Trump against the will of the voters of the state. Ignore the fact that federal statute requires that Electors be chosen before Election Day and that if a state wants to change the method by which Electors are selected, that also has to be done before the election is held. Of course all of this should be moot, but given certain members of SCOTUS are wed to the original intent of the writers of the Constitution, who expressly intended that legislatures select Electors NOT voters ...

Let's hope it just some wild thought that instead of being smacked down in private has drifted into public space. But given the insanity of the last four years, would anything - I mean, literally anything - come as a surprise?

Maybe the President of Mexico knows something we don't: the opera isn't over until the fat man leaves!

And given a certain person's friendship with the McMahon clan, Biden's people should be checking for extra folding chairs, two-by-fours with embedded nails, poorly written scripts that were passed over by soap opera writers, etc
Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin »

Reminds me of a certain other pathetic candidate in defeat and the futile hype around Hamilton Electors which followed. It should be noted that such efforts are perfectly constitutional and that the US irregardless of that fact still insists to moralize over *other* countries lack of democracy.
Top 100 | Top 250

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: November 14th, 2020, 2:31 am
Armoreska wrote: November 14th, 2020, 12:53 am

I used to think this way too, but increasingly I'm of the opinion that people switching sides in the short term is incredibly rare. You're much more likely to convince two people who support you but don't feel like voting to vote than to convince one person who is willing to vote for the opposition to convert their vote to one for you. Especially in this election where everyone knows where they stand on Trump.
Im sure Trump would have won in covirus free timeline.
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler