Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 16 released September 13th)
Polls: Romance (Results), 1951 (Results), 500<400 (Sep 23rd), 2008 (Oct 4th)
Challenges: Animation, Silent Era, Russia/USSR
Film of the Week: L'inhumaine, October nominations (Sep 25th)
World Cup S4: QF Schedule, Match QFB: India vs Greece (Sep 20th), Match QFC: Germany vs Italy (Oct 1st)

icmforum Twitter account

AdamH
Site Admin

icmforum Twitter account

Post by AdamH » August 3rd, 2020, 8:11 pm

After six years of zero tweets and a blank page, I think it's time to finally use the icmforum Twitter account: https://twitter.com/theicmforum

Only issue is I've almost never used Twitter before. I'd like to see us branch out a bit now. We have a forum podcast, we have 500<400 (and 1001 best movies). I'd like to try to promote the forum in some way and, especially, 500<400. Any tips on how we should use the Twitter account to generate some interest?

I'd also love the next step to be some kind of icmforum blog site with reviews (St. Gloede possibly came up with this idea originally). I think we need a better place for 500<400 than just icm.com and we could have a featured review from users for each film on the list (there is plenty of material on here without even needing too many new reviews).

Please follow the Twitter account if you don't already do so! We somehow have amassed 12 followers without ever using the account. Any tips then let me know...

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » August 4th, 2020, 5:59 am

fill them up with hashtags for start maybe to gain some attraction (or does that work better on instagram)

jal90

Post by jal90 » August 4th, 2020, 9:19 am

Hashtags don't work that well on Twitter. I think as a forum-themed account it should highlight the upcoming lists, challenges and tournaments, encourage people to participate, and post threads whenever a list is finished.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » August 4th, 2020, 9:43 am

jal90 wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 9:19 am
Hashtags don't work that well on Twitter. I think as a forum-themed account it should highlight the upcoming lists, challenges and tournaments, encourage people to participate, and post threads whenever a list is finished.
Sounds like a good idea, thanks. Never tweeted anything before so I suppose I better get used to it (or get someone else to do the tweets...).

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » August 4th, 2020, 9:38 pm

Id tweet screenshots of good posts. Like some of Flavo's write ups for the challenge. Or some of the leaderboards at the end of challenges. "Wait did someone really watch 200+ movies in a month?"

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » August 5th, 2020, 12:52 am

jal90 wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 9:19 am
:thumbsup:

It's worth giving it a try and jal90's suggestion makes sense - but I'd suggest committing to do it as a 6 or 12 month trial since Twitter is very busy and people who actively use it will be following hundreds of feeds so it doesn't necessarily get someone's attention the same way an email, text, or phone call would.

I liked Twitter more than FB, but that's not really saying much. The problem is, either you have to stare at your feed constantly (or you miss stuff) or you have to remember to go to this or that feed periodically and read through the tweets. However, the one thought sticking in the back of my mind is why would someone be more likely to go to an ICM Forum Twitter feed than just log on here - answer that and you have half of what you should tweet about. I think the other half is for the unwashed masses who don't visit the forum and have never heard of iCM - there you're trying to illicit interest in checking out the forum, joining, and adding to the conversation. However, I'm not sure how active a Twitter fan would be on this 'old tech' solution.

The other thing, Twitter is something of a community and following, retweeting, and liking matters, so I'd suggest finding others to follow - in other words, track down people with similar interests in cinema - and engage with them.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here