Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Aug 9th), Romance (Aug 28th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Sibiriada, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2G: Russia vs Portugal (Aug 6th), Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

Costa Rica

peeptoad

Costa Rica

Post by peeptoad » July 16th, 2020, 1:42 pm

Are there any forum members from (or currently residing in) Costa Rica?

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 23rd, 2020, 5:47 pm

You movin? I've never heard anyone mention they were from Rica.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » July 24th, 2020, 9:34 am

I might be moving... CR is under consideration though I won't be in the position to do anything for the next several years at least ($).

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » July 24th, 2020, 1:07 pm

peeptoad wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 9:34 am
I might be moving... CR is under consideration though I won't be in the position to do anything for the next several years at least ($).
I was supposed to spend 3 weeks in Costa Rica this summer... Now I'm struggling to get my plane tickets reimbursed... :(
Everything I looked into from that place seemed extremely appealing.

cinewest

Post by cinewest » July 24th, 2020, 1:35 pm

peeptoad wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 1:42 pm
I lived in Costa Rica from '1992-1995, and then had a girlfriend there from 2001-2003, but I haven't been back since 2009, when I took my nephew there for a few weeks. It changed a lot during that time, and since I haven't really lived there for awhile, I'm not sure how much help I can be. I would recommend you spend a few months down there before deciding to move, and would need to know more about you and what you are looking for before making further suggestions.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » July 24th, 2020, 2:03 pm

cinephage wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 1:07 pm
peeptoad wrote:
I was supposed to spend 3 weeks in Costa Rica this summer... Now I'm struggling to get my plane tickets reimbursed... :(
Yes, it is appealing. "Pura Vida" for sure!
I had a trip booked to see family on PEI this summer and that got kiboshed too. Thankfully I hadn't purchased the ticket yet; I delayed for another reason: 2 years ago I had a trip booked to LA to visit a close friend, who subsequently passed away before my trip. I learned the hard way that buying airline insurance is worthless since it only applies to an immediate family member passing away and then only if I had a death certificate to show them. Never again will I buy a plane ticket that far in advance..took me for $700.
cinewest wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 1:35 pm
peeptoad wrote:
I lived in Costa Rica from '1992-1995, and then had a girlfriend there from 2001-2003, but I haven't been back since 2009, when I took my nephew there for a few weeks. It changed a lot during that time, and since I haven't really lived there for awhile, I'm not sure how much help I can be. I would recommend you spend a few months down there before deciding to move, and would need to know more about you and what you are looking for before making further suggestions.
Thanks cinewest. I absolutely agree with you on spending ample time there first, which I plan on doing if this pans out at all. I've moved cross country in the US 5 times over the years so I am pretty good about planning, scheming and preparing myself.

FWIW Canada (since I have dual citizenship), Portugal and Italy are others that I am considering. If I stay in the US I am ultimately moving somewhere progressive that is outside of a major city or otherwise heavily populated area. That's for sure (northern NE most likely).

cinewest

Post by cinewest » July 24th, 2020, 2:31 pm

peeptoad wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 2:03 pm
cinephage wrote:
peeptoad wrote:
I had a trip booked to see family on PEI this summer and that got kiboshed too. Thankfully I hadn't purchased the ticket yet; I delayed for another reason: 2 years ago I had a trip booked to LA to visit a close friend, who subsequently passed away before my trip. I learned the hard way that buying airline insurance is worthless since it only applies to an immediate family member passing away and then only if I had a death certificate to show them. Never again will I buy a plane ticket that far in advance..took me for $700.
cinewest wrote:
peeptoad wrote:
Thanks cinewest. I absolutely agree with you on spending ample time there first, which I plan on doing if this pans out at all. I've moved cross country in the US 5 times over the years so I am pretty good about planning, scheming and preparing myself.

FWIW Canada (since I have dual citizenship), Portugal and Italy are others that I am considering. If I stay in the US I am ultimately moving somewhere progressive that is outside of a major city or otherwise heavily populated area. That's for sure (northern NE most likely).
I think your best bet might be Canada if you can stand the cold weather. I thought about Vancouver before I went to Costa Rica in '92, even looked into a film school there, but it's crazy expensive there, now, same as where I'm from (the San Francisco Bay Area). That said, the North Bay is as beautiful and progressive a place as there is, and made up of small towns and countryside. Have heard some good things about certain parts of Oregon and Washington State, and Colorado, as well, and I liked New England when I did a road trip there back around 2005.

If I were free and easy (and young) again, I would probably consider New Zealand, which is more progressive than Australia, though I met a guy recently from Tasmania who loves it there.

I don't want to dissuade you from Costa Rica or other spots in Latin America, but there are definitely security and legal right's issues, as well as cultural differences to contend with. That's why I say spend some time down there doing some research, asking around, feeling things out first.

As for Europe, I have heard about Portugal for awhile, and Italy more recently with these $1 properties for sale in the South, but I don't know anyone who has moved there.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » July 24th, 2020, 2:46 pm

cinewest wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 2:31 pm
peeptoad wrote:
cinephage wrote:

cinewest wrote:

I think your best bet might be Canada if you can stand the cold weather. I thought about Vancouver before I went to Costa Rica in '92, even looked into a film school there, but it's crazy expensive there, now, same as where I'm from (the San Francisco Bay Area). That said, the North Bay is as beautiful and progressive a place as there is, and made up of small towns and countryside. Have heard some good things about certain parts of Oregon and Washington State, and Colorado, as well, and I liked New England when I did a road trip there back around 2005.

If I were free and easy (and young) again, I would probably consider New Zealand, which is more progressive than Australia, though I met a guy recently from Tasmania who loves it there.

I don't want to dissuade you from Costa Rica or other spots in Latin America, but there are definitely security and legal right's issues, as well as cultural differences to contend with. That's why I say spend some time down there doing some research, asking around, feeling things out first.

As for Europe, I have heard about Portugal for awhile, and Italy more recently with these $1 properties for sale in the South, but I don't know anyone who has moved there.
New Zealand is on my bucket list, along with Iceland. It's one of the places I haven't been yet that I'd love to see. I'd love to sit in the Icelandic hot springs and gaze at the aurora borealis....before I kick the bucket.

I don't really have a problem with the cold but I'd prefer easier winters since I grew up in New England have had to deal with them most of my life. I did live in Los Angeles for almost 15 years and also Oregon for a year. I like the Pac Northwest; spent an excellent week camping in Eugene, OR in the mid-90s with a bunch of hippies. That was around the same time I was living in a Chevy van for the better part of the year. If I stay in the US I'm mostly likely staying in New England though.I love it, but southern NE is just too hectic and chaotic for me now, but this entire region is beautiful, moderately to extremely progressive and I love hiking (among other outdoor activities). Vermont or Maine might be in my future (not as crazy about NH). Removing myself from the work force will also help alleviate that feeling though I think, regardless of geographic location.

For now I'm just dreaming... but also doing some legit planning and research on the side. B)

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » July 24th, 2020, 3:01 pm

I spent 13 years in N. Vermont and my brother's been there for almost 30, so I know it pretty well. Burlington area is CRAZY expensive for a small metro area - it has to be one of the most expensive for it's size in the whole country. And I have to say that despite VT's reputation for being so liberal, it's really not outside of (what passes for) the urban centers - specifically the Burlington, Montpelier and Brattleboro areas. Just like every American state (maybe excepting Hawaii) the rural area is full of racist, misogynistic, homophobic rednecks as I found out quickly when I moved there in 2000 in the midst of the "Take Back Vermont" i.e. "Fuck the Queers" movement, after Civil Unions had started. So if you live in a more rural area you're going to deal with the same assholes that infest every corner of Trumperica - and you're going to be far from everything, especially in the winter.

That said I really miss it now, but that's for a variety of reasons that have more to do with me than with Vermont.

cinewest

Post by cinewest » July 24th, 2020, 3:33 pm

peeptoad wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 2:46 pm
cinewest wrote:
peeptoad wrote:

New Zealand is on my bucket list, along with Iceland. It's one of the places I haven't been yet that I'd love to see. I'd love to sit in the Icelandic hot springs and gaze at the aurora borealis....before I kick the bucket.

I don't really have a problem with the cold but I'd prefer easier winters since I grew up in New England have had to deal with them most of my life. I did live in Los Angeles for almost 15 years and also Oregon for a year. I like the Pac Northwest; spent an excellent week camping in Eugene, OR in the mid-90s with a bunch of hippies. That was around the same time I was living in a Chevy van for the better part of the year. If I stay in the US I'm mostly likely staying in New England though.I love it, but southern NE is just too hectic and chaotic for me now, but this entire region is beautiful, moderately to extremely progressive and I love hiking (among other outdoor activities). Vermont or Maine might be in my future (not as crazy about NH). Removing myself from the work force will also help alleviate that feeling though I think, regardless of geographic location.

For now I'm just dreaming... but also doing some legit planning and research on the side. B)
I'd love to make it to Iceland for a visit, as well, but it's much too cold to appear as a place to live. I've been living in China the past 5 years, and had plans to return to the U.S. this year with my wife and baby daughters, but COVID 19 (and politics) is holding me back at the moment. Our plan is to move to Maui (at least for a few years) where my mother retired, though I would also go back to the North Bay in a heartbeat (if you don't already know it, Nor. Cal. is very different than So. Cal). Marin, Sonoma, and Mendocino counties are incredibly beautiful and full of hiking / biking trails along the coastal mountains, as well as waterways for kayaks. They are also very progressive, politically. On the down side, they very expensive places to live.
Last edited by cinewest on July 24th, 2020, 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » July 24th, 2020, 3:34 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 3:01 pm
I spent 13 years in N. Vermont and my brother's been there for almost 30, so I know it pretty well. Burlington area is CRAZY expensive for a small metro area - it has to be one of the most expensive for it's size in the whole country. And I have to say that despite VT's reputation for being so liberal, it's really not outside of (what passes for) the urban centers - specifically the Burlington, Montpelier and Brattleboro areas. Just like every American state (maybe excepting Hawaii) the rural area is full of racist, misogynistic, homophobic rednecks as I found out quickly when I moved there in 2000 in the midst of the "Take Back Vermont" i.e. "Fuck the Queers" movement, after Civil Unions had started. So if you live in a more rural area you're going to deal with the same assholes that infest every corner of Trumperica - and you're going to be far from everything, especially in the winter.

That said I really miss it now, but that's for a variety of reasons that have more to do with me than with Vermont.
Yeah, I am prepared to take on a level "redneckness" if moving to a rural area. I've got family in and around Burlington too, so I've been there repeatedly over the years. I have no designs on going that far north unless it's on a coast (Bar Harbor ME appeals to me for that reason and several others). If I wind up in VT it's most likely to be that southern swath containing Brattleboro and Bennington. I've driven route 9 many times going to Saratoga for the races and I do like that part of VT. Western MA isn't bad either, but I want to stay closer to the ocean I think. Never really lived anywhere that's been farther than an hour inland by car and I think would miss it.

FWIW my best friend is a staunch Trump supporter and generally has nothing nice to say about anything related to LGBTQ. We've argued about politics for the last 4 years or so... gee, wonder why? uncomfortable it is. It's definitely gotten worse with orange guy in office. On both sides of the fence everyone's tolerance level seems to be at an all time low right now, so hopefully that reverts slightly over the next 10 years. At least some of ti might if there is not a person in office basically giving others the go ahead to do and say racist, sexist things.
I don't want this thread to devolve into politics, but it is something that's been unfortunately moving more to the forefront of my brain when thinking about the future.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » July 24th, 2020, 3:47 pm

cinewest wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 3:33 pm
peeptoad wrote:
cinewest wrote:

I'd love to make it to Iceland for a visit, as well, but it's much too cold to appear as a place to live. I've been living in China the past 5 years, and had plans to return to the U.S. this year with my wife and baby daughters, but COVID 19 (and politics) is holding me back at the moment. Our plan is to move to Maui (at least for a few years) where my mother retired, though I would also go back to the North Bay in a heartbeat (if you don't already know it, Nor. Cal. is very different than So. Cal). Marin, Sonoma, and Mendocino counties are incredibly beautiful and full of hiking / biking trails along the coastal mountains, as well as waterways for kayaks. They are also very progressive, politically. They are also very expensive places to live.
Oh, that's funny. My roommate from college has been living in Beijing since ~2005. He opened an animation school there and was previously doing CGI for films in Los Angeles. I'd say "small world", but that's a given now in this day and age.

I like NoCal as well. I'd actually rather live there than SoCal at this point if I had to choose between the two. I have an aunt an uncle in northern CA. My uncle used to live in Pt. Reyes and I stayed with him for two months in 1994 after a 2 month jaunt in Thailand. It's definitely a good area. Not sure I want to go back to CA though; it seems harder hit (vs east coast) for climate changes, etc. I really can't see myself living anywhere in the US aside from NE or the west coast though. After driving cross country 5 times between 1993 and 2003 I knew I'd never live anywhere we drove (smaller roads going through the south and plains areas), and with the changes in the country since then I am even less interested in anything away from either coast (and a good portion of the eastern seaboard I have no interest in either, sigh).

Lucky you going to Maui! I've never been to Hawaii, but I have couple of friends there. Once lives on the Big Island and the other on Kauai.

cinewest

Post by cinewest » July 25th, 2020, 3:26 am

peeptoad wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 3:47 pm
cinewest wrote:
peeptoad wrote:

I'd love to make it to Iceland for a visit, as well, but it's much too cold to appear as a place to live. I've been living in China the past 5 years, and had plans to return to the U.S. this year with my wife and baby daughters, but COVID 19 (and politics) is holding me back at the moment. Our plan is to move to Maui (at least for a few years) where my mother retired, though I would also go back to the North Bay in a heartbeat (if you don't already know it, Nor. Cal. is very different than So. Cal). Marin, Sonoma, and Mendocino counties are incredibly beautiful and full of hiking / biking trails along the coastal mountains, as well as waterways for kayaks. They are also very progressive, politically. They are also very expensive places to live.
Oh, that's funny. My roommate from college has been living in Beijing since ~2005. He opened an animation school there and was previously doing CGI for films in Los Angeles. I'd say "small world", but that's a given now in this day and age.

I like NoCal as well. I'd actually rather live there than SoCal at this point if I had to choose between the two. I have an aunt an uncle in northern CA. My uncle used to live in Pt. Reyes and I stayed with him for two months in 1994 after a 2 month jaunt in Thailand. It's definitely a good area. Not sure I want to go back to CA though; it seems harder hit (vs east coast) for climate changes, etc. I really can't see myself living anywhere in the US aside from NE or the west coast though. After driving cross country 5 times between 1993 and 2003 I knew I'd never live anywhere we drove (smaller roads going through the south and plains areas), and with the changes in the country since then I am even less interested in anything away from either coast (and a good portion of the eastern seaboard I have no interest in either, sigh).

Lucky you going to Maui! I've never been to Hawaii, but I have couple of friends there. Once lives on the Big Island and the other on Kauai.
I've travelled extensively in the world, but haven't seen nearly as much of my own country as I would have liked to. Once I got into my 20's, whenever I travelled, I always seemed to want to go further (and for longer) than I had before, thinking that I could always see closer places later on. That culminated in my move to Costa Rica in my early 30's. I came back to SF in '95, but then moved to the north bay (Marin) where I lived for the next 15 years (I absolutely love Point Reyes). Got a little lonely living in paradise by myself, though, and that prompted a move to Brazil in 2010 for 2 years prior to winding up in China.

Now, if I am you, I plan an investigatory trip to New Zealand with a stop off to see my friends in Hawaii coming and going :banana:

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » July 26th, 2020, 12:32 pm

cinewest wrote:
July 25th, 2020, 3:26 am
peeptoad wrote:
cinewest wrote:

I've travelled extensively in the world, but haven't seen nearly as much of my own country as I would have liked to. Once I got into my 20's, whenever I travelled, I always seemed to want to go further (and for longer) than I had before, thinking that I could always see closer places later on. That culminated in my move to Costa Rica in my early 30's. I came back to SF in '95, but then moved to the north bay (Marin) where I lived for the next 15 years (I absolutely love Point Reyes). Got a little lonely living in paradise by myself, though, and that prompted a move to Brazil in 2010 for 2 years prior to winding up in China.

Now, if I am you, I plan an investigatory trip to New Zealand with a stop off to see my friends in Hawaii coming and going :banana:
That's sounds a little like me in my 20s... that's when I set off for Europe, Thailand, and I probably would have spent longer in Japan than I did if I had had more money. The round trip bus ride alone from Narita airport into Tokyo cost US$200. And that was in 1994. I have still never been anywhere in S America though I have friends who are Peruvian and have close family in Iquitos, so who knows.
I like your plan regarding NZ and Hawaii... that's pure logic right there. ;) someday, someday.

cinewest

Post by cinewest » July 26th, 2020, 3:30 pm

peeptoad wrote:
July 26th, 2020, 12:32 pm
cinewest wrote:
July 25th, 2020, 3:26 am
peeptoad wrote:

That's sounds a little like me in my 20s... that's when I set off for Europe, Thailand, and I probably would have spent longer in Japan than I did if I had had more money. The round trip bus ride alone from Narita airport into Tokyo cost US$200. And that was in 1994. I have still never been anywhere in S America though I have friends who are Peruvian and have close family in Iquitos, so who knows.
I like your plan regarding NZ and Hawaii... that's pure logic right there. ;) someday, someday.
I went to Europe and Japan when I was right out of high school, after saving up for the trip for a year or two, and graduating a year early. My parents bought me an "Around the world ticket" with Pan Am for$1000 (the only catch was that I had to go standby on every flight, and I had to keep traveling in the same direction), so after stopping off to visit some relatives in Honolulu for a week, I flew to Japan where my Uncle was living at the time (in Kyushu). Stayed for 3 weeks with he and my Japanese Aunt, as well as my Japanese cousins in a small fishing village not far from Miyazaki, and then got the royal treatment from my Aunt, who took me to her home town (Hamamatsu), Kyoto, and Tokyo, where she also had friends we could stay with.

I travelled for 5 months on that ticket, partially with my grandfather, and later united with my family in San Remo, Italy, and finally Paris (where we they had made a house exchange for a month with a French family). That was the longest trip of my life up until then, but I made a similar 6 month trip through Southeast Asia (mostly Thailand) in 1989).

I suppose I acquired the travel bug as a child, making road trips during Summer vacations with my grandfather, and I probably spent most of my extra money on travel (if not books) until I hit my early 30's, and decided that the next time I left the U.S., I would try living abroad, which also led me to my current profession as an ESL teacher (something I returned to after many years when I moved to Brazil in 2010). Always wanted to return to Europe (finally did a few years ago in a 10 day trip to Catalonia), but as a young lad, one of my goals was to spend as much time abroad on as little money as I could, and that meant places that were not only more exotic, but less expensive.

Now that I have one year old twin girls, I think most of my traveling will be showing them around when I can, and hopefully I'll be able to see parts of the U.S. I've always wanted to making road trips with them.
Last edited by cinewest on July 26th, 2020, 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cinewest

Post by cinewest » July 26th, 2020, 3:31 pm

stupid double post
Last edited by cinewest on July 26th, 2020, 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cinewest

Post by cinewest » July 26th, 2020, 3:31 pm

Wow, a triple post, even

prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson » July 26th, 2020, 7:11 pm

cinewest wrote:
July 26th, 2020, 3:30 pm
I suppose I acquired the travel bug as a child, making road trips during Summer vacations with my grandfather
That's awesome, same thing for me! Mostly traveled in-country, but in addition to almost all 50 states I'd been to Mexico, Canada, and Spain with my gramps by the time I graduated high school.

cinewest

Post by cinewest » July 27th, 2020, 1:36 am

prodigalgodson wrote:
July 26th, 2020, 7:11 pm
cinewest wrote:
I suppose I acquired the travel bug as a child, making road trips during Summer vacations with my grandfather
That's awesome, same thing for me! Mostly traveled in-country, but in addition to almost all 50 states I'd been to Mexico, Canada, and Spain with my gramps by the time I graduated high school.
Those trips are definitely some of the highlights of my childhood. Northern California was our “go to” road trip, and we often travelled the local roads to make it more of an adventure. We mostly camped out, as well, and fished where we could. Took a few longer trips, as well- to the Grand Canyon, Utah, Victoria Canada, and we also went to Spain one summer (bought a car that we picked up in Holland, and drove down, spending the whole Summer there) Then shipped the car back to the U.S.

Great times. Sounds like you had something simolar

prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson » July 27th, 2020, 3:20 am

cinewest wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 1:36 am
prodigalgodson wrote:
cinewest wrote:
Those trips are definitely some of the highlights of my childhood. Northern California was our “go to” road trip, and we often travelled the local roads to make it more of an adventure. We mostly camped out, as well, and fished where we could. Took a few longer trips, as well- to the Grand Canyon, Utah, Victoria Canada, and we also went to Spain one summer (bought a car that we picked up in Holland, and drove down, spending the whole Summer there) Then shipped the car back to the U.S.

Yeah, local day trips when I was out of diapers and then longer treks around California were where it started, and have comprised the bulk of our more recent adventures between my work/living elsewhere and his health issues. I don't think I've known anyone else who's had that kind of relationship with their grandfather! :cheers:

cinewest

Post by cinewest » July 27th, 2020, 3:37 am

prodigalgodson wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 3:20 am
cinewest wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 1:36 am
prodigalgodson wrote:

Yeah, local day trips when I was out of diapers and then longer treks around California were where it started, and have comprised the bulk of our more recent adventures between my work/living elsewhere and his health issues. I don't think I've known anyone else who's had that kind of relationship with their grandfather! :cheers:
He was my first “foreign film” buddy, too, as when I turned onto them in high school none of my friends were interested, but my grandfather already new about Fellini and Bergman, et. All. I used to invite him to some of my college lectures later on, as well, and was actually much closer to him than I was to my father.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » July 27th, 2020, 12:07 pm

Nice! You guys are very well-traveled... I went to France and England in high school, Canada countless times (family) and then Belize. After college is when most other travel started for me (when I headed to the rest of EU, Mexico and a few spots in Asia).
If what happened to me when I left Tokyo happened today I would probably still be there too. My boarding pass got blacklisted because I left it in my uncle's bag (and he was still in the middle of the city somewhere). That's the only time I can recall being let on an airplane with no ticket or boarding document.

cinewest

Post by cinewest » July 27th, 2020, 1:38 pm

peeptoad wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 12:07 pm
Nice! You guys are very well-traveled... I went to France and England in high school, Canada countless times (family) and then Belize. After college is when most other travel started for me (when I headed to the rest of EU, Mexico and a few spots in Asia).
If what happened to me when I left Tokyo happened today I would probably still be there too. My boarding pass got blacklisted because I left it in my uncle's bag (and he was still in the middle of the city somewhere). That's the only time I can recall being let on an airplane with no ticket or boarding document.
How much would you say your experiences on the road and abroad have contributed to who you are?

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » July 27th, 2020, 2:18 pm

cinewest wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 1:38 pm
peeptoad wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 12:07 pm
How much would you say your experiences on the road and abroad have contributed to who you are?
Good question.
How much quantitatively I am not sure, but it has had an effect, especially when I look at some of my closest friends who are not travelers and who haven't really traveled anywhere internationally, for comparison points. I'd say traveling at an earlier age (and especially the process of divesting myself of all my possessions and living in a van for a year) has exposed me to many things that most of my friends have not had exposure to, and also forced me to adapt to stress and changing environments in different ways. By contrast the best friend I alluded to earlier has lived in the same state her entire life and only gone on a few cruise trips for travel. She's pretty much played it safe her entire life and maybe that's why she has developed strongly conservative and more often than not pessimistic views of the world around her.
By contrast I'd say I am more amenable to change and I have a less reactive response to stress and negative events. I also do not own 10-20 handguns and rifles as some of my friends do. I once asked them why they felt the need for so many firearms and the answer "for protection". I then asked what they were afraid of they said "nothing"... :shrug:

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » July 27th, 2020, 4:29 pm

iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » July 27th, 2020, 5:50 pm

Touche, Lammetje.