Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Aug 9th), Romance (Aug 28th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Sibiriada, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2G: Russia vs Portugal (Aug 6th), Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

The Used Car Lounge

Lammetje
Donator

The Used Car Lounge

Post by Lammetje » July 12th, 2020, 1:00 pm

I want to buy a used car. There is one in particular that I like, but it has one downside: the service booklet is missing. However, I've read somewhere that the older the car, the less important its service history. This one is just over ten years old and has about 125,000 km on the odometer. Also, with some brands there's a possibility to take the keys to a dealer and let them perform a check to see if the mileage is legit, but this is a Ford and they don't offer such service.

Me and an acquaintance of mine (who knows a lot more about automobiles than me) already took the car for a test drive to a garage, which went well. At the garage it was checked (like an MOT test) and they didn't find anything wrong with it. The seller seems like an ok guy, it didn't seem like he tried to hide anything, nor was he reluctant to answer questions or have the car checked.

What are your thoughts about the importance of the missing service history in this case?
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » July 12th, 2020, 1:25 pm

Tricky one, but I think you have done everything you should do. That it passed the MOT is a good sign. Does it have a timing belt or chain? If belt, has it been changed? Usually a costly fix to be done around that mileage (not sure about Fords though).

Since it does not have a service booklet you should be able to push down the price quite a bit.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » July 13th, 2020, 11:45 am

Lilarcor wrote:
July 12th, 2020, 1:25 pm
Tricky one, but I think you have done everything you should do. That it passed the MOT is a good sign. Does it have a timing belt or chain? If belt, has it been changed? Usually a costly fix to be done around that mileage (not sure about Fords though).

Since it does not have a service booklet you should be able to push down the price quite a bit.
It looks like it has a timing belt. So I suppose I need to find out if it needs replacement soon. Do you know what other things to look out for when trying to find out if the mileage is really 125k and not like 200k?

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » July 13th, 2020, 1:35 pm

Unfortunately no, and I guess you really need to know Fords well to be able to tell. I have had one Toyota, a VW and an Audi and the costly thing to keep in mind has been the timing belt for those three. But these things vary, for some cars changing it is easy and cheap. Some, like the Audi I have now does not need to change the belt before 220k km. Without a service booklet it is hard to tell how well the car has been maintained over the years and if the mileage is correct, but that doesn't necessarily mean that there's anything dodgy here, especially since it seems fine on the MOT.

Is it possible to check the number plate in the registry in your country? Might give some clues.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » July 13th, 2020, 2:25 pm

Lilarcor wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 1:35 pm
Unfortunately no, and I guess you really need to know Fords well to be able to tell. I have had one Toyota, a VW and an Audi and the costly thing to keep in mind has been the timing belt for those three. But these things vary, for some cars changing it is easy and cheap. Some, like the Audi I have now does not need to change the belt before 220k km. Without a service booklet it is hard to tell how well the car has been maintained over the years and if the mileage is correct, but that doesn't necessarily mean that there's anything dodgy here, especially since it seems fine on the MOT.

Is it possible to check the number plate in the registry in your country? Might give some clues.
Actually, I hadn't tried that yet - until now I was focused on the country the car was imported from (Italy). I just found a Polish website, entered the number plate plus a few other data and it turns out the engine power is different from what's advertised. :o

I'll discuss it with my acquaintance. Many thanks for your input so far, Lily! :thumbsup:

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » July 13th, 2020, 6:51 pm

Agree with timing belt. That and a few other items are usually recommended for replacement around 100k miles. If you brought it to a garage, would they be able to tell if those parts were original or had been replaced? I'm not sure.