Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Aug 9th), Romance (Aug 28th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Sibiriada, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2G: Russia vs Portugal (Aug 6th), Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

Mask

Do you wear a mask in public?

Poll runs till October 9th, 2020, 8:14 am

Yes, because the government makes me but I hate it.
6%
Yes, it's required or recommended where I live or work.
52%
Yes, but it's not required or recommended where I live or work.
6%
Yes, but only because it's easier than being out in public without a mask.
No votes
Yes, but only when outside, you know, when I'm protesting.
3%
Yes, but only because I look so damn sexy in a mask!
3%
No, I don't have to because of another medical condition or I'm too young.
No votes
No, it's not a requirement or recommendation where I live so why would I?
13%
No, and I think requirements and recommendations to do so are not scientific.
No votes
No, because it's just another communist plot to steal my freedom (and take my guns).
No votes
No, but I will the day they tell us to stop wearing masks.
6%
Are we talking about the movie with Cher or Jim Carrey?
10%

Total votes: 31

xianjiro
Donator

Mask

Post by xianjiro » July 11th, 2020, 8:14 am

:ph43r: So, how do you feel about wearing a mask in public? 😷

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » July 11th, 2020, 9:04 am

In Poland it's obligatory to wear one on the bus, in stores, in cinemas etc., but not on the street. So in that case I pick the second option, right? I'm so used to it by now that I don't hate it.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 11th, 2020, 9:17 am

Lammetje wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 9:04 am
In Poland it's obligatory to wear one on the bus, in stores, in cinemas etc., but not on the street. So in that case I pick the second option, right? I'm so used to it by now that I don't hate it.
sounds good to me!

And while I've been following this out of curiosity and it's totally non-scientific, it doesn't seem many locales are requiring masks EVERYWHERE - mostly I'm seeing it required in public buildings and outside if social distancing can't be maintained (like a crowded beach or BlackLivesMatter rally).

My main thing is I have to remember to take things a bit slower and easier. Especially at first, I found it hard to not feel winded while wearing it, but I'm also thinking that might have more to do with not being able to get the soap out when I wash it by hand - I'm thinking of just rinsing in plain water and leaving it in the sun for as much daylight as possible (or even using a hot iron should take care of any freeloaders). And yes, I'm wearing (homemade) cloth masks. I'm not even sure how important washing (sanitizing) really is at this point now that we've a better sense for how long the virus persists outside a host.

But there is one thing that I find particularly troubling with two of the masks I have - they don't play nice with glasses!

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » July 11th, 2020, 11:42 am

Yes, because I care for other people's lives as well as my own

Where is that option?

Yes, because I am a considerate human being.

Yes, because I am not heartless

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » July 11th, 2020, 12:39 pm

UK is way behind most of the world on this. Johnson yesterday did some photos in a mask which I think was the first time that's happened (and I guess probably came about because there was some minister on R4 in the morning who'd flailed horribly when asked why none of them were leading by example on wearing masks in public appearances).

Personally I was not wearing one until last month. Now I'm back at work a couple of days a week, I wear one there (it's a hospital, it's mandatory when walking around, you can take off when sat at desk if you're distanced enough) and I am now wearing one if i go in shops etc. My justification is prior to that I was working from home, only going supermarket once or twice a week and there was well observed distancing there so there wasn't really anywhere where I was getting close to people. I live in fairly rural place. And also it was me just taking social cue, nobody was wearing masks, like <10%. I think there's slightly more of a push since it's become mandatory on public transport last month, but really still not common and if government had sense they would've pushed to make this normalised before re-opening pubs, restaurants, etc.

It's not something that feels natural to people, it only becomes normalised if governments & institutions push it. There maybe was a justification that they did not push it in March/Apr when the pandemic was peaking and supplies were simply not there & you could genuinely endanger frontline workers by encouraging people to hoard limited supplies. But once the numbers were levelling and the supplies were more available, that should've changed. Like with most of our response, just too damn slow.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » July 11th, 2020, 12:46 pm

Yes, because I believe in science and am not a sociopathic narcissist (I hope).

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » July 11th, 2020, 1:04 pm

Yes, it's required or recommended where I live or work.
It's common sense. Politics be damned; I don't want to get other people sick and it's proven to be effective in slowing the spread.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 11th, 2020, 2:26 pm

Yes, it's required or recommended, and I wear it when I think it's safer to do it than not. And when protesting.
Also to make other people comfortable, so they're maybe going to be more likely to make me comfortable (what Blocho said).
I don't think I'm personally going to spread the virus, as it's likely to make me too sick not to notice.
And as much as I'd love to spread the virus, I don't think it's going to work out if I don't wear a mask.
Last edited by Armoreska on July 11th, 2020, 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » July 11th, 2020, 2:27 pm

I find wearing a mask deeply annoying. It's uncomfortable, especially in summer. It fogs up my glasses. And I've already been sick, which probably makes me immune (though I don't know for how long).

I wear a mask anyway. It's really the least I can do. It's not even about my own safety. It's about protecting others if my immunity wears off. Also, the more people who wear masks, the more that other people feel a social pressure to do the same. Why wouldn't I do this small thing for my suffering community?

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 11th, 2020, 2:35 pm

blueboybob wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 11:42 am
Yes, because I care for other people's lives as well as my own

Where is that option?
It's implied, don't worry. Option 3 or 2 for you.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » July 11th, 2020, 2:40 pm

As brokenface mentioned, the UK is miles behind on this. The message hasn't not been strong enough at all.

Very disturbing to read about the bus driver dying in France: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53367432

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 11th, 2020, 3:21 pm

No because it’s not recommended or required where I live. As mentioned in the COVID thread, so little happens in Perth not even corona bothered to show up and it’s pretty much all over now (think WA had 600 cases total). Wearing a mask was never really pushed on us and I only saw a handful of people ever wearing them.

If it had gotten bad or it was a requirement then I would’ve worn one no problem.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan » July 11th, 2020, 4:56 pm

No problem at all wearing one. It's required or recommended here. It's not always the most comfortable, but that's a tiny price to pay for protecting others. I am lucky enough to live in a state where challenges to mask-wearing are comparatively very uncommon, maybe because a huge number of people in the state (including most of my neighbors, my husband, and me) are employed in science- or healthcare-related fields. I haven't run into a single situation here where people around me weren't complying, while friends and relatives in many other states routinely encounter anti-maskers who consider themselves "freedom fighters." :blink: :yucky:

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 11th, 2020, 6:39 pm

mightysparks wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 3:21 pm
No because it’s not recommended or required where I live. As mentioned in the COVID thread, so little happens in Perth not even corona bothered to show up and it’s pretty much all over now (think WA had 600 cases total). Wearing a mask was never really pushed on us and I only saw a handful of people ever wearing them.

If it had gotten bad or it was a requirement then I would’ve worn one no problem.
Have you heard if it's required in Victoria? All I've been reading is about the lockdown and closed state border.

sol can find me here

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » July 11th, 2020, 7:27 pm

Yes, I wear a mask (option 2 applied to me). And of course I wear one for the reason OldAle1 stated. And like blocho, my personal annoyance at times with wearing a mask (I’m also a glasses wearer, so I’ve been finding some fixes for preventing my glasses from fogging up from the mask) is pretty small potatoes in the end. It’s very small windows of time that I ever need to wear one anyway, as I’ve been working from home for 3.5 months and I’ve kept my grocery shopping to once every other weekend, and I’ve barely been out to any other public places during the pandemic.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » July 11th, 2020, 8:22 pm

Yes, because it's required by both the state and the city I live in. I don't much like masks, but they're totally worth it if it helps even a little bit. Starting Monday, though, it'll also be required to wear a mask during exercise, which I can't really wrap my head around. I can't picture myself biking with a mask on, at least not the thick multi-layered mask I currently wear.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » July 11th, 2020, 9:06 pm

I have mostly been going out only for walks in big open spaces. Now that things in UK are gradually opening up I have ordered some masks so I can do normal activities without feeling like a danger to the community.

Initially in the UK we were specifically told not to wear masks so it is a bit of a u turn.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » July 11th, 2020, 9:14 pm

It's required in places where lots of people gather, and indoors. Not on the street. I really don't see the problem with following the rules, it's not like it's a terrible hassle.

TraverseTown

Post by TraverseTown » July 11th, 2020, 10:01 pm

It doesn't bother me whatsoever and I'm baffled that anyone has a problem with it. Unless you have breathing difficulties, asthma, emphysema, and COPD, I can't for the life of me why people are morally opposed to it or even find it uncomfortable.

That said, I bought some stylish and goofy masks online. I like to wear two masks: A plain tight black one underneath and something more stylish, loose, and colorful on-top.
SpoilerShow

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 11th, 2020, 10:58 pm

It's really heartening reading responses. I think we know most people understand and comply willingly. Some even joyfully. It's just that the acrimony from those opposed - I don't know - creates cognitive dissonance or something.

TBH, I'm not even that worked up about adults choosing not to wear a mask (provided their motivation is other than spreading germs). It's sort of like people choosing to drive double the speed limit. Yes, it puts oneself and others at risk. How much? That's hard to say. So I really try not to judge those outliers making choices for their own lives.

In some ways this makes me think of school dress codes: while many readers might live in places were school uniforms are the norm, outside of private schools, they are unusual in the US. But what is common are rules prohibiting dress that "disrupts the learning environment". Think of a girl in very, very short shorts/skirt/etc or a guy in a shirt with an obscenity. While not the only things these codes target, they were usually the things first targeted. And what do the kids say? "You're killing my freedom of speech/expression/etc, dude!" Sound familiar?

sol can find me here

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 12th, 2020, 1:02 am

xianjiro wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 6:39 pm
mightysparks wrote:

Have you heard if it's required in Victoria? All I've been reading is about the lockdown and closed state border.
Haven’t heard anything, they’re probably just social distancing/lockdown again.

Found this news article: https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.abc ... e/12441828

Looks like they’re strongly recommending it.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » July 12th, 2020, 1:21 am

TraverseTown wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 10:01 pm
That said, I bought some stylish and goofy masks online.
Oh hell yes! I've been thinking of getting this mask for months. The only thing stopping me is knowing that it would be horrifically uncomfortable in the summer. But come cooler times, maybe I'll get it.

It occurred to me that there are probably a small number of obsessive mask collectors out there in the world -- the sort of people who watch Eyes Wide Shut just for ideas about mask purchases. Those people must be living their best lives right now.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 12th, 2020, 2:55 am

mightysparks wrote:
July 12th, 2020, 1:02 am
xianjiro wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 6:39 pm
mightysparks wrote:

Haven’t heard anything, they’re probably just social distancing/lockdown again.

Found this news article: https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.abc ... e/12441828

Looks like they’re strongly recommending it.
thanks! :cheers: let's just hope they can keep it from spreading.

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 12th, 2020, 3:04 am

blocho wrote:
July 12th, 2020, 1:21 am
TraverseTown wrote:
That said, I bought some stylish and goofy masks online.
Oh hell yes! I've been thinking of getting this mask for months. The only thing stopping me is knowing that it would be horrifically uncomfortable in the summer. But come cooler times, maybe I'll get it.

It occurred to me that there are probably a small number of obsessive mask collectors out there in the world -- the sort of people who watch Eyes Wide Shut just for ideas about mask purchases. Those people must be living their best lives right now.
have you been reading news reports from N China or something? Looks like you're styling for the next round of plague :lol:

Seems I'm not the first to look for a Bane mask, or Hannibal Lecter, or ... "Luke, I am your ...."

OMG the movie-themed mask ideas are all off the hook! Wow, this could actually end up being fun. We need to put together some sort of mask contest. :ph43r:

sol can find me here

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 13th, 2020, 7:54 am

TraverseTown wrote:
It doesn't bother me whatsoever and I'm baffled that anyone has a problem with it. Unless you have breathing difficulties, asthma, emphysema, and COPD, I can't for the life of me why people are morally opposed to it or even find it uncomfortable.
Extreme individualism - opposition to authoritarian collectivism.
You can't order people, only recommend.
Only natural consequences for actions should exist. (but of course most of these people are not against prisons)
Ends don't justify the means.

I wonder if they'd be OK with giving everyone a nuke though if we could produce them en masse.

Sometimes I think these people are just pro-extinction. :shrug:
Last edited by Armoreska on July 13th, 2020, 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 13th, 2020, 9:08 am

Armoreska wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 7:54 am

I wonder if they'd be OK with giving everyone a nuke though if we could produce them en masse.
Ask the Grand Ayatollah and you'll have your answer.

sol can find me here

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » July 14th, 2020, 11:29 pm

Armoreska wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 7:54 am
TraverseTown wrote:
Extreme individualism - opposition to authoritarian collectivism.
You can't order people, only recommend.
Only natural consequences for actions should exist. (but of course most of these people are not against prisons)
Ends don't justify the means.

Sometimes I think these people are just pro-extinction. :shrug:
I think the biggest problem humanity has is people who don't really understand the moral traditions they choose to follow. Like a libertarian shouldn't really be saying no to facemasks, only a libertarian who doesn't get it. It's actually been my experience that most people fail to understand their moral tradition of choice. That's why for example, feminism can easily become misandry in the hands of the fool, or liberals can end up justifying mediaeval practices on the basis of moral relativism, or you get the Westboro Baptist Church. Basically most people don't have the first idea what they're talking about. Which is why trends in morality are so fluid, it doesn't take much to flip people with no profundity or empathy.