Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 9 released July 7th)
Polls: 2010s (Results), 1974 (Results), 2019 awards (Jul 11th), 0 Official Lists (Jul 31st)
Challenges: Canada, Low Rated, Director
Film of the Week: Picture of Light, August nominations (Jul 31st)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2E: Georgia vs Ukraine (Jul 16th), Match 2F: Germany vs Iran (Jul 26th)

running riot 4 race

xianjiro
Donator

Re: running riot 4 race

Post by xianjiro » June 15th, 2020, 8:54 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 12:34 pm
Yep, drinking myself to death still seems like a better option than most others out there.
Not sure if Elizabeth Shue is available :o ;) :P :( It's much less fun without a sexy enabler

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » June 15th, 2020, 9:05 pm

blocho wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 5:52 pm
I'm going to stop going to protests, and I'm going to try to limit my news consumption for a bit (though the second part will be difficult). There's just so much ugliness, and I'm not able to handle it emotionally. Choosing to withdraw like that, of course, is a retreat. Every movement for social change would fail if people went away when things got ugly. But it's what I need right now.
This is a fairly worthwhile survival strategy. I've mentioned elsewhere that there was a period in 00s where I didn't look at any news for a couple years. In some ways, life was better though I was surprised later to find some big things I didn't even know happened.

But nowadays, I limit myself to headlines and reading text: after seeing the WTC collapse umpteen hundred times, I decided video wasn't a good thing. Okay, watch this or that video one time if one needs to see whatever happened or if one is in doubt and wants more of a first-hand experience, but if one is watching broadcast news, one must have seen the Floyd video way more times than anyone should by now. (I've also disabled autoplay and immediately close videos that spawn on news sites.) Broadcast news, especially when they are chasing "breaking news", is just so repetitive. I remember after the Great Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami, they played the same video of industrial plant fires (very close to where I lived in Japan) and of course those horrible videos of waves coming in and destroying entire communities. It was rather numbing. So I stay away from video pretty religiously now. Text is best.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » June 18th, 2020, 3:50 pm

I haven't succeeded at all in avoiding the news.

Here's an update on New York: https://gothamist.com/news/where-are-go ... ls-hearing

Testimony on NYPD brutality is ongoing for a few more hours: https://ag.ny.gov/livestream

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » June 19th, 2020, 11:25 pm

OK, I've utterly failed at my resolution to stop going to protests and not follow the news.

But I just had to go to a protest today. It's Juneteenth, and New York was absolutely hopping. There must have been about 50 or 60 different events planned, so many that some protests ran into other protests and created serendipitous mergers. And I've learned that having a drum line makes any protest a thousand times better. I was also a little less vituperative toward the cops, though I still carried my "NYPD = Terrorists" sign.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » Yesterday, 2:02 am

The recent data has led epidemiologists to question whether large outdoor gatherings have served as the “superspreader” events they initially feared — and is providing them with further evidence that major coronavirus spreading events are occurring primarily at indoor facilities.
- source (link crossposted on Covid thread as well)

sol can find me here