Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Coming of Age (Results), DtC - Ratings (Results), 1933 (May 12th), 1970s (May 29th)
Challenges: Japan, Mystery/Thriller, Western
Film of the Week: Akage, June nominations (May 28th)

What's the meaning behind your username?

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

I don't really care who knows who I am, no-one online knows enough about me to do any damage to me anyway :P having said that I won't go set myself up for trouble on 4chan or anything, but I'm selective about who I spend time with online and about what I say online.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

themagician on Dec 1 2012, 09:24:46 AM wrote:
joachimt on Dec 1 2012, 07:48:10 AM wrote:I always thought nicknames were annoying, so I always use my real name. My first name is Joachim and my last name starts with T, so therefor joachimt.
I refuse to share any of my personal information (including my picture) online in case something I happen to say in an argument, in a random comment somewhere, or even just having an opinion or position on whatever issue that's different from someone else's, rubs some crazy person the wrong way. They can ruin your life, including costing you your job.

If you want to see these witchhunts happening in real time, I will simply direct you here: http://www.reddit.com/r/shitredditsays

That is a group of nearly 30,000 Reddit users just looking for reasons to get up in arms about and getting ready to make your life hell. If you sort by Top you can find targeted operations to find out who certain users are and subsequently taking on a mission to inform every major news organization, including major online blogs, to write about you, including harassing your family and friends and getting you fired. And they have succeeded. In fact, they just recently succeeded in outing a user who as a result found himself being interviewed on CNN and without a job. If you do a Google search on "violentacrez" you will find that every major news organization has written a story about him. While I don't approve of what he did, I think what SRS did was wrong. And it's frightening to think what they can do. And what's even more so is the fact that many of the comments that get people in trouble are completely harmless or meant as a joke.
You don't have to inform me about online harassing. I work with teenagers...
As long as I...
- ... don't use my last name on sites like this...
- ... be careful what I say online...
- ... don't post crazy pictures of myself...
... I'm not scared something might happen.

My students often google my name, off course. Teenagers do that to find crazy stuff about their teachers. I didn't misbehave so far, so I don't have problems using my own name.

Am I naive?
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

kingink on Dec 1 2012, 09:03:05 AM wrote:
Nick Cave... my favorite obsession, along with David Bowie, Tindersticks and cinema of course
I need to buy this!!
One of my favorite singers.
I've got every album by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, but nothing by The Birthday Party.
ICM-profile
kingink

Post by kingink »

joachimt on Dec 1 2012, 11:38:25 AM wrote:
kingink on Dec 1 2012, 09:03:05 AM wrote:
Nick Cave... my favorite obsession, along with David Bowie, Tindersticks and cinema of course
I need to buy this!!
One of my favorite singers.
I've got every album by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, but nothing by The Birthday Party.
Nice! :thumbsup:
I don't listen to Birthday Party so much nowadays but I'll never change my internet username
insomnia

Post by insomnia »

What themagician said is one of the many reasons for why I don't have a facebook.

As for my nickname. I have a history of sleeping problems.
Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi »

joachimt on Dec 1 2012, 11:36:44 AM wrote:
themagician on Dec 1 2012, 09:24:46 AM wrote:
joachimt on Dec 1 2012, 07:48:10 AM wrote:I always thought nicknames were annoying, so I always use my real name. My first name is Joachim and my last name starts with T, so therefor joachimt.
I refuse to share any of my personal information (including my picture) online in case something I happen to say in an argument, in a random comment somewhere, or even just having an opinion or position on whatever issue that's different from someone else's, rubs some crazy person the wrong way. They can ruin your life, including costing you your job.

If you want to see these witchhunts happening in real time, I will simply direct you here: http://www.reddit.com/r/shitredditsays

That is a group of nearly 30,000 Reddit users just looking for reasons to get up in arms about and getting ready to make your life hell. If you sort by Top you can find targeted operations to find out who certain users are and subsequently taking on a mission to inform every major news organization, including major online blogs, to write about you, including harassing your family and friends and getting you fired. And they have succeeded. In fact, they just recently succeeded in outing a user who as a result found himself being interviewed on CNN and without a job. If you do a Google search on "violentacrez" you will find that every major news organization has written a story about him. While I don't approve of what he did, I think what SRS did was wrong. And it's frightening to think what they can do. And what's even more so is the fact that many of the comments that get people in trouble are completely harmless or meant as a joke.
As long as I...

My students often google my name, off course. Teenagers do that to find crazy stuff about their teachers. I didn't misbehave so far, so I don't have problems using my own name.

Am I naive?
If you make the slightest hint on a forum as to where you work, though, even just the city and the sort of institution, it's really easy for the folks on that forum to search and figure out exactly which Joachim T. you are.

I teach, so I never use my name on online forums. I also don't touch Facebook, other than a very minimal, pictureless presence I established many years ago. Even then, I regularly get emailed friend requests from students and ex-students.

rokp on Dec 1 2012, 08:47:41 AM wrote:Slovenia ;)
Does your name mean "fate" in Slovenian??

Is Rok a common name?
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Dec 1 2012, 05:22:50 PM wrote:
joachimt on Dec 1 2012, 11:36:44 AM wrote:
themagician on Dec 1 2012, 09:24:46 AM wrote:I refuse to share any of my personal information (including my picture) online in case something I happen to say in an argument, in a random comment somewhere, or even just having an opinion or position on whatever issue that's different from someone else's, rubs some crazy person the wrong way. They can ruin your life, including costing you your job.

As long as I...

Am I naive?
If you make the slightest hint on a forum as to where you work, though, even just the city and the sort of institution, it's really easy for the folks on that forum to search and figure out exactly which Joachim T. you are.

I teach, so I never use my name on online forums. I also don't touch Facebook, other than a very minimal, pictureless presence I established many years ago. Even then, I regularly get emailed friend requests from students and ex-students.
Well, I don't use Facebook, Twitter, ... all that crap. If someone is trying to find me, he'll probably end up at the website of my sports club, from where you can send me an email. I've got no problem with that. Searching for my name won't get you on ICM, but if by some chance someone who knows me, stumbles upon ICM and sees my username, he'd probably guess immediately it's me.

When I just started teaching MSN was just a hot thing. That time I was naive in my contacts with students. I saw no harm in using MSN with students. But I've learned... Now students often try to find me on Facebook and sites like that, but without result.

I think the chance of internet-harressment is bigger for me, if I happen to run into problems in real life. If I would get problems with a student, he/she might start an harressment by putting negative stuff about me on the internet. The chance of someone starting to harress me for something I've done online is much smaller, I guess.
ICM-profile
rokp

Post by rokp »

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Dec 1 2012, 05:33:06 PM wrote:

Is Rok a common name?
It doesn't mean anything specifically, but as far as I know it comes from some foreign word meaning "to roar" or "to rule". It is very common though, looking at stats, it's 21st most common, but I think it is at least top3 for people born from 80s to mid 90s.
themagician

Post by themagician »

joachimt on Dec 1 2012, 05:42:47 PM wrote:
Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Dec 1 2012, 05:22:50 PM wrote:
joachimt on Dec 1 2012, 11:36:44 AM wrote:You don't have to inform me about online harassing. I work with teenagers...
As long as I...

Am I naive?

Well, I don't use Facebook, Twitter, ... all that crap. If someone is trying to find me, he'll probably end up at the website of my sports club, from where you can send me an email. I've got no problem with that. Searching for my name won't get you on ICM, but if by some chance someone who knows me, stumbles upon ICM and sees my username, he'd probably guess immediately it's me.

When I just started teaching MSN was just a hot thing. That time I was naive in my contacts with students. I saw no harm in using MSN with students. But I've learned... Now students often try to find me on Facebook and sites like that, but without result.

I think the chance of internet-harressment is bigger for me, if I happen to run into problems in real life. If I would get problems with a student, he/she might start an harressment by putting negative stuff about me on the internet. The chance of someone starting to harress me for something I've done online is much smaller, I guess.
You seriously underestimate what The Internet is capable of. A user who was recently doxed on Reddit by this SRS group claims he got beat up in real life just because The Internet didn't like him. If you've never visited a site like 4chan (the /b/ section in particular), you're ignorant of what horrible things The Internet is capable of if they choose to not like you. A site like Reddit with 30 million unique monthly visitors, sensitive and easily manipulated into these witchhunts, probably every week someone is falsely accused of something they never did, now having hundreds of blogs writing about them and having thousands of people after them, and when the truth comes out the damage is already done. By putting your personal information online you make it too easy for people to do horrendous things. And do not underestimate The Internet's detective skills. There is no anonymity. If they want to find out who you are, they will. It's just a matter of how difficult you can make it.

rokp on Dec 1 2012, 05:53:38 PM wrote:
Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Dec 1 2012, 05:33:06 PM wrote:

Is Rok a common name?
It doesn't mean anything specifically, but as far as I know it comes from some foreign word meaning "to roar" or "to rule". It is very common though, looking at stats, it's 21st most common, but I think it is at least top3 for people born from 80s to mid 90s.
Ah. Rok means fate in Russian, so I thought it might be the same in Slovenian.

I haven't known anyone named Rok. Except Rok Hudson, of course.
tommy_leazaq
Donator

Post by tommy_leazaq »

Just Married (2003) is the first ever movie I've watched with subtitles (this happened in 2005). Prior to that I have watched English movies only in theaters and local cable channels and more than 60% of the dialogues were incomprehensible to me because of my lack of understanding of the language and its accents. But with subtitles, I seem to understand more than 90% of the dialogues :D . So as a tribute I made slight modification to Ashton Kutcher's character name "Tom Leazak" and made it as my user name in all film-related sites (ICM, Critiker, IMDb)..
Sir Plebeian

Post by Sir Plebeian »

I made this name because if someone where to email me about what I like on iCM that they might not like, I can refer them to my name and end the conversation.
Limedebois

Post by Limedebois »

That's simple. The Web 2.0 brings the "social network". The web 3.0 has to be splitted into two or even more different web platforms. A web to interact with official, administration matters (everything is private and secure between us and the administration, our work, etc. ), a web to interact with communities matters (using a nickname, speaking as a nobody citizen, and all personal matters and details should be delete, even IP adresses), a web to interact with communities matters and medias but with our true name (meaning that when I speak it is "officially" me and everybody knows that's it's me!), a game-web, and a web to interact only with family and friends. No possibility to interaction between different platform. No possibility to go to the web with my child's profile (yeah high security level^^).

If only the third one can use videos, adios to piracy on the web ("oh oh! what you think!"). Can't put a video on youtube without my name (and traceable informations by a dictocracy government), and can't download films illegally! Every body's happy.
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

It's my full name sans vowels. On IMDb I go by the handle "CasseroleWorshipper", because that was the first thing that popped in my head. I don't even like casserole.
Last edited by Ralf on March 28th, 2013, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobbybrown

Post by bobbybrown »

Choosing a username was serious business for me in teenage years, so as a kind of protest against that I started to pick as a username random lines from songs I couldn't get out of my head at the time. That's how I ended with the title of this Frank Zappa song about a guy to whom I have absolutely no resemblance - which makes it funny to me in an absurd way each time I'm referred to as "bobby". :D By the way, the song has some of FZ's most offensive, misanthropic, both anti- and pro-homophobic and plain immature lyrics which paradoxically he can get away with because of how catchy and well-composed the song is.
Oh God I am the American dream
With a spindle up my butt till it makes me scream
An' I'll do anything to get ahead
I lay awake nights sayin', "Thank you, Fred!"
Oh God, Oh God, I'm so fantastic!
Thanks to Freddie, I'm a sexual spastic
And my name is Bobby Brown
Watch me now; I'm goin' down
Was a huge hit in Scandinavia, by the way. :)
jeroeno

Post by jeroeno »

I've been wondering about that for quite some time. Every time I see your username I immediately think of that song:

Hey there, people, Im bobby brown
They say Im the cutest boy in town
My car is fast, my teeth is shiney
I tell all the girls they can kiss my heinie

or

She had my balls in a vice, but she left the dick
I guess it's still hooked on, but now it shoots too quick

:banana:
Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin »

Once, long ago, there was a time I only listened to classical and jazz music, and Gershwin is the perfect cross-over.

Besides, my first and middle name combine great into "Gershwin".
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM
metaller
Donator

Post by metaller »

bobbybrown on Sep 8 2013, 03:43:01 AM wrote:Choosing a username was serious business for me in teenage years, so as a kind of protest against that I started to pick as a username random lines from songs I couldn't get out of my head at the time. That's how I ended with the title of this Frank Zappa song about a guy to whom I have absolutely no resemblance - which makes it funny to me in an absurd way each time I'm referred to as "bobby". :D By the way, the song has some of FZ's most offensive, misanthropic, both anti- and pro-homophobic and plain immature lyrics which paradoxically he can get away with because of how catchy and well-composed the song is.
Oh God I am the American dream
With a spindle up my butt till it makes me scream
An' I'll do anything to get ahead
I lay awake nights sayin', "Thank you, Fred!"
Oh God, Oh God, I'm so fantastic!
Thanks to Freddie, I'm a sexual spastic
And my name is Bobby Brown
Watch me now; I'm goin' down
Was a huge hit in Scandinavia, by the way. :)
I love that song. Actually, this is quite regularly played on the big commercial radio stations here, so I didn't think too much about it all my life and sometimes in my teens (after better knowledge of the english language and more obscure sexual practices) I actively listened to the lyrics and was all WTF. :lol:

My name is quite easily explained: I'm a metalhead, metaller is a usual word for people who like that kind of music here. I think I first used it when I registered on IMDB 2005-ish (then still as metaller83, with my birth year) and it is now the nickname I use on most film related sites I frequent.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
bobbybrown

Post by bobbybrown »

Jerome St-Jacques on wrote:I've been wondering about that for quite some time. Every time I see your username I immediately think of that song:
metaller on wrote:I love that song. Actually, this is quite regularly played on the big commercial radio stations here, so I didn't think too much about it all my life and sometimes in my teens (after better knowledge of the english language and more obscure sexual practices) I actively listened to the lyrics and was all WTF. :lol:
:cheers: Zappa had a way with words, especially obscene and immature words that made them more memorable and funnier than one could find in whole discographies of more traditional rock bands. And he considered his lyrics from that type of songs to be just a quick way to make a buck. Mind-boggling how easily he was coming up with vocal hooks and unexpected but catchy as hell rhymes - and all that with sophistication of a 14-year-old. Like these:
Spoiler: click to toggle
Dinae-Moe Humm on wrote:Dinah-Moe watched from the edge of the bed
With her lips just a-twitchin' an' her face gone red
Some drool rollin' down
From the edge of her chin
While she spied the condition
Her sister was in
She quivered 'n quaked
An' clutched at herself
While her sister made a joke
About her mental health
Till Dinah-Moe finally
Did give in
But I told her
All she really needed
Was some discipline . . .
Jewish Princess on wrote:I need a hairy little Jewish Princess
(La-la-la)
With a brand new nose
(Oo-ee-oo)
Who knows where it goes
I want a steamy little Jewish Princess
(KSSS!)
With over-worked gums, who squeaks when she cums
I don't want no troll
I just want a Yemenite hole
Magdalena (a song about a pedophile who confesses to his daughter) on wrote:My daughter dear, do not be concerned
When your Canadian daddy comes near.
I work so hard, don't you understand
Making maple syrup for the pancakes of our land.
Do you have any idea?
What that can do to a man?
What that can do to a man?
Sometimes it makes me sad to think what heights he could've reached musically and lyrically if he wasn't so obsessed with proving that 99,9% of human population are idiots and that pop/rock music is dumb. Don't get me wrong, I love me some "We want a guy from a group who's got a thing in the charts / And if his dick is a monster we will give him our hearts", but his views on how the world works often make me feel embarrassed for him.
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

I like sheep. My nickname means 'little lamb' in Dutch.

I also like bumping old threads. :P
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
RBG

Post by RBG »

Last edited by RBG on August 28th, 2016, 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

RBG on Aug 28 2016, 03:54:07 PM wrote:Image

I love Ruthie, but that tshirt happens to contain a little pet peeve of mine ... granted, a very pedantic pet peeve, but one that is triggered all the time these days ...
RBG

Post by RBG »

the missing period?? random gangsta rap references????? tshirts with pictures of lawyers on them????????????

i know --- hitchcock titles that aren't about hitchcock :D or maybe you just wish she'd straighten that crown :unsure:
Last edited by RBG on August 28th, 2016, 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

RBG on Aug 28 2016, 04:20:54 PM wrote:the missing period?? random gangsta rap references????? tshirts with pictures of lawyers on them????????????

i know --- hitchcock titles that aren't about hitchcock :D or maybe you just wish she'd straighten that crown :unsure:
The most picayune of your guesses: the missing period. Drives me crazy because it's what I see about 80% of the time now.
RBG

Post by RBG »

yeah that kinda bothers me too...so i fixed it :D

icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

Very easy one. My first name and first letter of surname. I was inspired years ago but others on here. Joachimt, SanderO, Jeroeno (although he had a different username at first), Eva_L etc.
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

I liked Intothewild
he or A. or Armo or any

currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD, r/antinatalism recommends,..
the rest
ANARCHISTS, ANIMAL RIGHTS, Assisted suicide, Existential films, SOCIALIST CINEMA (an amalgamation of lists), Feminist lists, various GSSRM lists (aka LGBTQ+), 2010s bests, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, mah huge sci-fi list, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
WalterNeff
Donator

Post by WalterNeff »

My name comes from that Godard classic, Double indemnité
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

Tim was my English class surname back in the days.
Now for the 2460...that was the door code at my first job. Was trying years ago to create an avatar for an online video game. Diablo 2 maybe and all the first Tim were already occupied.. Try Al least the first 20...then ask myself if this will about to take the day trying all the timxxxx... So choose 2460..it worked first time ;)
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

what's an "English class surname"?
he or A. or Armo or any

currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD, r/antinatalism recommends,..
the rest
ANARCHISTS, ANIMAL RIGHTS, Assisted suicide, Existential films, SOCIALIST CINEMA (an amalgamation of lists), Feminist lists, various GSSRM lists (aka LGBTQ+), 2010s bests, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, mah huge sci-fi list, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Some 20 years ago I was just Underdog (a nickname I chose for obvious reasons), until my nephew did a silly transliteration one day and called me Onderhond (Onder = Under, Hond = Dog). It stuck, not in the least because it's a username that looks pretty "normal" and is usually still available when trying to make an account online.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Mine is my IMDb username, so it goes back to when I joined that site in 2005 (actually I had had an account there since the 90s but had never used it and couldn't remember it when I decided to join the forums and start logging ratings). "Old ale" is a type of ale originating in the UK made from blending fresher and aged ales; in 2005 it was still a rather rare style to be found in the USA and, being someone who had outré tastes by the general standards, it fit; also I was almost 40 when I joined those forums and I knew even then that everything internet was for the kids and for whatever is new - certainly that site always was, and is. The 1 at the end is because there was already an "OldAle" registered.

There was one troll who always used to refer to me as "Dale"; while he eventually became more humorous than evil, he definitely enjoyed fucking me over, as did several others who followed in his wake, so if you ever call me Dale even by mistake, I'll have to kill you and burn your town down.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Mine I made in, you can guess... 2003. When joining the Fok forum I had to come up with an username, so I looked around my room.... at my desk was a Lone Wolf & Cub manga, which I was reading and loving at the time, so I just went with that. Cause there already was a Lonewolf, and also a Lonewolf82, since 1982 is my birth year, I went with 2003 cause that was the year.
Just to not have to remember all kind of different usernames for different sites, I used it for most other sites too.
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

Armoreska wrote: October 29th, 2020, 11:39 am what's an "English class surname"?
In English class we all had English names... Mine was Tim.
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

It's a funny sounding word I've been using since Counter-Strike LAN days, many years before Internet profiles. It has topped many a local leaderboard.
My initials are RAM/ARM so this evolved from there thru Armor. Thankfully nobody has taken it online before me.
-eska is a somewhat common word ending in Russian.

see also
https://www.etymonline.com/word/arabesque
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/humoresque
armoresque has 400 google matches

I use (title) Armorus as well, but Armorus alone has of course been taken by others.

For some reason, some people have trouble spelling the first R. Maybe rm looks unclear when vision is low.
he or A. or Armo or any

the rest
Harco
Donator

Post by Harco »

Just my first name. :turned:
:ICM: | :letbxd:
Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway »

Mine was conceived in what I thought was a clever moment. Apparently, it's not too clever, nor is it it all that rare to use one's actual name. It has served me well throughout the years, so, I guess I'll just stick with it for the foreseeable future.