Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 16 released September 13th)
Polls: Romance (Results), 1951 (Results), 500<400 (Sep 23rd), 2008 (Oct 4th)
Challenges: Animation, Silent Era, Russia/USSR
Film of the Week: Durak, October nominations (Sep 25th)
World Cup S4: QF Schedule, Match QFC: Germany vs Italy (Oct 1st)

How long dythink you can live unemployed?

How long do you think you can live without having a job as a source of income?

A few days
3%
A week
No votes
Might last a month
6%
A couple months
6%
Half a year
9%
A year
6%
~2 years
16%
~5 years
16%
A lot more or set for life
38%

Total votes: 32

Armoreska

How long dythink you can live unemployed?

Post by Armoreska » April 2nd, 2020, 10:53 pm

Quarantine poll

*This means without selling car/house/body :D
But burning through all your savings
Last edited by Armoreska on April 2nd, 2020, 11:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 2nd, 2020, 11:12 pm

Probably between 2-5 years in my current situation. I work a casual job usually, but can't work more than 10 hours a week or so without it causing my RSI to flare up, and in slow periods I only do one 3 hour shift a week. I haven't had any work in about a month and my hands are doing great. My dole payments cover all the important stuff, and money I make from work is generally my luxury money that I put in savings or spend on clothes and fun things. Since I'm studying for the next 2 years, I can easily live off the study payments (the jobseeker one cuts you off after a certain amount of time of not getting a job, but I'm safe for a while because of Covid) and I have a bit in savings. I'm also very lucky that my dad doesn't charge us rent, so we only pay bills and he was planning to sell the place at the end of the year but I guess he's probably going to hold onto it for a bit longer now..
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » April 2nd, 2020, 11:52 pm

I just got out of debt from my last layoff, so with severance and a severe reduction in spending plus government benefits, 6-12 months.

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » April 3rd, 2020, 3:19 am

depends on the support system of our country but as it is now i could live indefinitely

sol
Donator

Post by sol » April 3rd, 2020, 10:35 am

I'm surprised by how many folks have ticked "set for life", but I'm almost tempted to tick that myself - not because I have massive amounts saved up but because there is very high demand for casual, short term work in my field. Everything is one year contracts in my profession, and I've never had a year without work despite having to change organisations a few times, but if I didn't have a contract, there would probably always be enough work to get by. Unless, of course, this Covid-19 stuff goes on for longer than expected since this might cause the government to review how many persons in my field really need to be employed to keep it going. Eh. Long answer to a brief question, sorry.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

albajos

Post by albajos » April 3rd, 2020, 10:43 am

I'm always set up for life as the government provides for us. The only ones that falls out are the ones that use this money to buy drugs rather than food. Otherwise everyone in Norway should never go hungry regardless of income.

But yes, there are not all countries that are so lucky as us.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » April 3rd, 2020, 10:57 am

sol wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 10:35 am
I'm surprised by how many folks have ticked "set for life", but I'm almost tempted to tick that myself - not because I have massive amounts saved up but because there is very high demand for casual, short term work in my field. Everything is one year contracts in my profession, and I've never had a year without work despite having to change organisations a few times, but if I didn't have a contract, there would probably always be enough work to get by. Unless, of course, this Covid-19 stuff goes on for longer than expected since this might cause the government to review how many persons in my field really need to be employed to keep it going. Eh. Long answer to a brief question, sorry.
That's because a lot of us live in countries with a good social welfare system. Just like albajos above, I in the Netherlands could even the most basic lowest social benefit live indefinitely. I would have to scale down massively in my expense and move to a cheaper place, but it's do-able.

I'm sorry for those wo don't.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 3rd, 2020, 11:04 am

Yea, I could technically live off the government and my parents for life but I don’t really want to and I couldn’t ‘live my best life’ like that. I’ll be on disability pension at an early age so I would like to do something employment-wise before it gets to that..
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » April 3rd, 2020, 12:07 pm

between 3-4 months (6 tops) without dipping into my retirement savings or filing for unemployment*.
*Or looking for another job

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » April 3rd, 2020, 12:38 pm

I selected ~2 years in the poll, sounds about right for my situation. But thankfully I'm in a job and with an employer (state government) where losing this job seems very, very highly unlikely.

The current poll results and the posts so far in this thread definitely seem to reflect "The rest of the world (sets you up nicely) versus America (you could get by for a while but ultimately you're fucked)." Especially if you're still quite young in the US and haven't yet built up a ton of savings.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » April 5th, 2020, 4:33 pm

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 10:57 am
sol wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 10:35 am
That's because a lot of us live in countries with a good social welfare system. Just like albajos above, I in the Netherlands could even the most basic lowest social benefit live indefinitely. I would have to scale down massively in my expense and move to a cheaper place, but it's do-able.

I'm sorry for those wo don't.
If the quarantine or similar were to last a while, those benefits would surely get shrunk. :think:
currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » April 5th, 2020, 5:32 pm

Under a different set of circumstance we might make it longer, but we bought a house less than a year ago so our savings are pretty much nonexistent. If my wife loses her job we'll have to put the house up for sale and move elsewhere (which is expensive, no matter how you slice it).
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » April 5th, 2020, 5:53 pm

As long as they don't take away my disability benefits, I'll be okay, but it thoroughly sucks for people who aren't so fortunate.