Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 3 released May 19th)
Polls: 1950s (Results), 1966 awards (May 28th), 1935 (May 29th)
Challenges: Comedy, Western, Iberian Peninsula
Film of the Week: Unter den Brücken, June nominations (May 29th)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2A (Jun 4th)

The Toilet Paper Lounge

What kind of toilet paper do you generally buy?

Single ply
9%
2 ply
45%
3 ply
27%
4+ ply
No votes
I don't use toilet paper
18%

Total votes: 22

Lammetje
Donator

The Toilet Paper Lounge

Post by Lammetje » March 29th, 2020, 2:43 pm

Discuss everything TP here: types, brands, availability in supermarkets, or whatever else is on your mind.

Last edited by Lammetje on March 29th, 2020, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » March 29th, 2020, 2:46 pm

mightysparks wrote:
March 29th, 2020, 4:06 am
My dad brought some extra toilet paper to his work for me to get (he lives far, works close), but I stopped in at the supermarket as it was opening and I saw stacks upon stacks of 20 pack rolls of toilet paper. It was like seeing the holy grail. I've never been so excited to see toilet paper, this is the first time I've seen any in nearly a month. My dad's work was plastered with signs like 'only 12 people allowed in store at once' and 'if you have cold and flu symptoms do not enter', plus hand sanitiser at the front telling you to wash before coming in. Tape on the ground around the counter to show where you need to stand. A bakery had the same thing and with X's closer to the counter for you to collect your stuff. I had to queue up to get in the store and there was a guy supervising the queue reminding everyone to leave 1m between the person in front of us. It's pretty weird.

I don't need to worry about toilet paper for a while either:

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
March 29th, 2020, 4:15 am
3ply. Someone's feeling fancy.
mightysparks wrote:
March 29th, 2020, 4:26 am
idk what the ply's mean, but 1) this is the only one available and 2) this is the same one I get normally.
Kublai Khan wrote:
March 29th, 2020, 4:33 am
Ply is the number of layers. Usually the more plys, the softer the TP.
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
March 29th, 2020, 4:35 am
single ply is the cheap super thin garbage you see on airplanes or other super cheap public places.

2ply is normal, it means there's two sheets stuck together. It can come in a lot of varieties from really soft to two crappy single ply sheets stuck together.

3ply is three sheets stuck together, so it is generally softer and fancypants toilet paper. Of course some 3ply is just for marketing and kinda basic and not as nice as the best 2 ply, but that's still the idea it's selling.
mightysparks wrote:
March 29th, 2020, 4:39 am
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
March 29th, 2020, 4:35 am
single ply is the cheap super thin garbage you see on airplanes or other super cheap public places.

2ply is normal, it means there's two sheets stuck together. It can come in a lot of varieties from really soft to two crappy single ply sheets stuck together.

3ply is three sheets stuck together, so it is generally softer and fancypants toilet paper. Of course some 3ply is just for marketing and kinda basic and not as nice as the best 2 ply, but that's still the idea it's selling.
I experimented with a few brands when I first moved out but I liked this one the best so always get it. Didn't know it was fancypants toilet paper lol. I hate cheap nasty toilet paper tho. Looks like 3 ply is the majority here, 2 ply is the cheap homebrand stuff, and 4 ply is the fancypants stuff: https://shop.coles.com.au/a/alexander-h ... geNumber=1
xianjiro wrote:
March 29th, 2020, 6:38 am
I have never in my life heard of, seen, let alone used 3 ply. Talk about une raison d'être.

SARS-CoV-2 v 3-ply TP
that's a smackdown
matthewscott8 wrote:
March 29th, 2020, 7:12 am
I don't understand what's going on any more. Why are people buying toilet paper like this? I thought we debunked hoarding it a while back. Why are people queueing to get in a store. 1m apart doesn't help anyone it's not enough room. Getting ill to get toilet paper. Not trying to judge just don't understand.
mightysparks wrote:
March 29th, 2020, 7:20 am
They only had 20 packs in the store I went to. I was just going to get toilet paper off my dad since I was running low and hadn't found any in the store for a long time, but he told me to keep the ones he gave me even after I bought my own pack. The toilet paper generally runs out 15-30 mins after the store opens, along with other rare stock, so there are always queues in the morning and no toilet paper for the rest of the day it seems. I wasn't trying to hoard on purpose, but at least I got extra now in case my grandparents need it.
These quotes are from the coronavirus thread.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » March 29th, 2020, 2:53 pm

I haven't used TP in 10 days. So I'm in a wrong lounge.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

sol
Donator

Post by sol » March 29th, 2020, 2:55 pm

Give it a few months and we will all be voting for "I don't use toilet paper" option. :ermm:
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » March 29th, 2020, 3:28 pm

Are there any torrent sites for TP, or is that a taboo discussion topic here?

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 29th, 2020, 7:06 pm

I've wondered about the Great TP Run of 2020. One of my neighbors, whenever we chat (either text or with plenty of distance outside) always asks if I have enough TP. I've wondered too why; although she always asks, "So, can you eat ... ?" Even though I think it's pretty clear when I say no wheat, no dairy, no peanuts, no mammal, and no onions. I try to change the conversation.

But anyway, it's clear people are fixated on TP and I've not been able to figure out why, especially given, much like Australia, it's sold in everything from single rolls to something like 60 roll bundles at the warehouse places! I'd say the majority of the supermarkets devote the most space to at least 12 packs, but with a family of four ...

Clearly, in societies that are based on consumerism and consumption, then any scarcity, no matter if real or perceived, gets media attention and one thing I'm pretty convinced of is this response: people are talking about Y, how much Y do I have? I better get some Y just in case. (Note: I started out using the letter X but thought some might get confused and think there was a shortage on the club drug :P )

Surely some people go to their cabinet(s) and conduct an extensive inventory, and
do the algebra:Show
"You have five residents in your household and assuming each uses 8.34627 sheets of toilet paper per wipe. Dad uses the toilet three times a day. Mom uses it six times per day. The twins each use it eight times per day but the baby still wears diapers. If a roll has 963 sheets of paper and Dad only shops for TP every fourth day unless its Sunday and you know the store will be out for the next month and today is Wednesday, how many rolls should Dad buy tomorrow to last the entire family for three and a half months?"
AnswerShow

It is impossible to dismiss that consumers have been conditioned to respond to commercial stimuli. The whole idea is to get us to watch, read, or look at the advert and then go out and buy. We hear a certain jingle and that gets us thinking about how great a ________ would taste ... It's really just a form of operant conditioning but instead of a bell ... and guess who is the dog.

So, when people hear, "There's a run on toilet paper," the conditioned response seems to be, "I better get some!"
Or maybe it''s because Maggie's self-isolatingShow
Last edited by xianjiro on March 30th, 2020, 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 29th, 2020, 7:17 pm

and just in case anyone thinks this has to be one of the strangest threads on the forum, let me remind you of this one.

:facepalm:

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 29th, 2020, 10:55 pm

Yea, I agree about the initial hoarding but then for those of us who don’t care, we start to see our toilet paper supply dwindle and never see it in stores. So when it finally appears we get what we can. I guess that’s why they’re only selling the 20 packs at Coles so people feel at ease with how much they’ve got. I’d planned to start using the shower as a bidet if we weren’t able to find any soon, but that’s not so helpful for when I go number 1..

The other thing is is that with food, even if you can’t find the thing you want there’s usually an alternative. It’s not like there is no food at all. But toilet paper, tissues and wipes are in short supply and there is no alternative solution.

And yea all my family are always checking up asking if I got enough food and toilet paper, and whenever someone hasn’t been able to find something, another will grab it when they see it.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » March 30th, 2020, 1:25 am

Armoreska wrote:
March 29th, 2020, 2:53 pm
I haven't used TP in 10 days. So I'm in a wrong lounge.
I don't think we have a constipation lounge yet...
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

albajos

Post by albajos » March 30th, 2020, 6:37 am

I just buy the one that is cheapest by the meter.

Don't think they sell 1 ply at all, if you really want that then you need to buy those big rolls for businesses.

albajos

Post by albajos » March 30th, 2020, 8:56 am

My current one is 3 ply anyway, but as I said, I never check that. It was still the cheapest

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 30th, 2020, 4:06 pm

mightysparks wrote:
March 29th, 2020, 10:55 pm
I’d planned to start using the shower as a bidet if we weren’t able to find any soon, but that’s not so helpful for when I go number 1..
??? Using the shower to wash pee seems much easier and more hygienic than using it for poo.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 30th, 2020, 4:10 pm

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
March 30th, 2020, 4:06 pm
mightysparks wrote:
I’d planned to start using the shower as a bidet if we weren’t able to find any soon, but that’s not so helpful for when I go number 1..
??? Using the shower to wash pee seems much easier and more hygienic than using it for poo.
Yea and I gotta run to the shower with it dripping down my legs... no thanks
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 30th, 2020, 4:14 pm

Where's your shower in relation to your toilet? In every bathroom I've been that isn't some weird hotel bathroom the toilet is no more than two steps, usually one, away from the shower. You could also just pee in the shower.

Example

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 30th, 2020, 4:57 pm

well, most of my toilets have been in separate rooms (bathrooms with toilets aren’t that common in Aus), but it’s on the opposite side of the bathroom. In that pic, toilet is on other side of the basin.

Still, peeing in the shower means I have to take all my clothes off and have pee run down my leg. I don’t want to be going through that 10+ times a day. And if it’s that time of the month then definitely not..

albajos

Post by albajos » March 30th, 2020, 6:14 pm

bidet

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » March 30th, 2020, 6:22 pm

Or just a squeeze bottle if you don't have a bidet and run out of TP. It's not that hard people, we've been making do without toilet paper for millennia.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 30th, 2020, 8:12 pm

Hey guys, just discovered this DIY tip - if you're only able to find single ply TP, you can make your own by layering sheets! Knock yourself out - 10 ply's the thing! :P (sorry, couldn't resist)

sol can find me here

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » March 31st, 2020, 3:59 pm

mightysparks wrote:
March 30th, 2020, 4:10 pm
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
mightysparks wrote:
Use A Towel
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 31st, 2020, 4:08 pm

Armoreska wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 3:59 pm
mightysparks wrote:
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:

Use A Towel
I go to the toilet at least 10 times a day.. I don’t even have that many towels. Anyway, it doesn’t matter as I have plenty of toilet paper and if I am forced into primitive times I’ll deal with it, and be sad about it, then.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » March 31st, 2020, 4:14 pm

mightysparks wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 4:08 pm
Armoreska wrote:
mightysparks wrote:
Use A Towel
I go to the toilet at least 10 times a day.. I don’t even have that many towels. Anyway, it doesn’t matter as I have plenty of toilet paper and if I am forced into primitive times I’ll deal with it, and be sad about it, then.
OK but what's wrong with using the same one?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 31st, 2020, 4:18 pm

Armoreska wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 4:14 pm
mightysparks wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 4:08 pm
Armoreska wrote:

Use A Towel
OK but what's wrong with using the same one?
It would be covered in my pee? I don’t mind reusing a towel, just not when it’s covered with strange bodily fluids. And i think pee smells so if I just had some smelly pee towel in the bathroom I don’t think bf would be impressed lol

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 31st, 2020, 7:54 pm

Can this conversation get any stranger?

And no, I don't really mean that as a challenge since I know the answer.

sol can find me here

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » April 1st, 2020, 10:09 am

My local store is now fully stocked with loo roll. A sign that hysteria has died down where I am. This was at 7pm at night.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » April 1st, 2020, 10:15 am

matthewscott8 wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 10:09 am
My local store is now fully stocked with loo roll. A sign that hysteria has died down where I am. This was at 7pm at night.
no, I think what you encountered was what Kolchak was investigating back in the '70s:
SpoilerShow
The Night Stocker.

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » April 1st, 2020, 10:23 am

funkybusiness wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 10:15 am
matthewscott8 wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 10:09 am
no, I think what you encountered was what Kolchak was investigating back in the '70s:
SpoilerShow
The Night Stocker.
:lol:

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 10th, 2020, 12:35 am

Why is there a toilet paper shortage?
Can’t companies just make more? Your questions, answered
- the local rag tackles our most important, pressing issue "Why can't I buy a roll of TP?!?" Thought others might be interested in this discussion of how the supply chain actually functions.

Or not.

sol can find me here

sebby

Post by sebby » April 10th, 2020, 6:05 am

I'd really rather get back to talk of urine running down people's legs.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » April 10th, 2020, 6:11 am

FWIW I have been seeing TP on shelves again in Japan recently. Prices on amazon are still a bit higher than normal, but not egregious.

albajos

Post by albajos » April 10th, 2020, 7:27 am

well, the shortage is because of businesses always going by bottom line. Not making an ounce more than they sold last year.

There has not been any shortage here, the engros market is very small, as many businesses just use regular paper in the restrooms. It's basically only public toilets that use the big industrial ones.

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » April 10th, 2020, 8:36 am

Shortages are just logisitical, they have tp it's just that it takes up a lot of space in lorries and people descend on it like locusts when it arrives. There is plenty of it at the suppliers.

Luckily people have stopped going crazy where I live and it can be purchased quite easily at the store.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 10th, 2020, 6:11 pm

Did you read the article I posted, matthewscott? I don't think they draw the same conclusion you have.

sol can find me here

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » April 11th, 2020, 1:10 pm

xianjiro wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 6:11 pm
Did you read the article I posted, matthewscott? I don't think they draw the same conclusion you have.
It seems it differs by country, in the UK we were fine https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... -supplies/. The news here said the same thing.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 11th, 2020, 6:30 pm

Yes, I love it. "Don't worry, we'll make more." But the Telegraph article is pretty clear in saying that they have the raw materials to make plenty but I'm guessing all western industrial countries rely on just-in-time. I wonder where you guys get your paper pulp from.

sol can find me here