Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Favorite Movies (Results), 1945 (Results), 1929 awards (Apr 4th), South Asia (Apr 25th), Doubling the Canon (Ratings Apr 30th)
Challenges: Crime, Directed by Women, Indian Subcontinent
Film of the Week: The Music of Chance, May nominations (May 1st)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1F: Brazil vs Greece vs Japan vs Poland (Apr 5th), 1G: Germany vs Pakistan vs Ukraine vs USA (Apr 22nd)

Covid-19 or Worldwide Flu

sol
Donator

Re: Covid-19 or Worldwide Flu

Post by sol » March 24th, 2020, 10:18 am

mightysparks wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 11:18 pm
My dad works in a liquor store and is pissed that it's considered essential. Especially when they're telling everyone not to drink or smoke..
The feeling is the same in the school staff room. It's really depressing to have to turn up for work day after day during this, especially given all of the shortages. We ran out of soap today.

Are there are any other forum members who are still driving into work every day? Most people here seem to either be working remotely - or not at all.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 600 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » March 24th, 2020, 10:21 am

counsumption of Corona beer has more than doubled here in Finland

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » March 24th, 2020, 11:15 am

sol wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 10:18 am
Are there are any other forum members who are still driving into work every day? Most people here seem to either be working remotely - or not at all.
Only 1 out of 5 days for me. My girlfriend has Fridays off, she takes care of two elderly MS patients, so she can really use a day for herself. Also nobody else is at our office, and I use the walk to/from work for some shopping + exercise.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » March 24th, 2020, 12:12 pm

Stuck in the studio flat in London now for the foreseeable future. The weekend was the last chance to leave but I wasn't feeling well so didn't want to risk it. Feeling quite down just now at the prospect of months inside here. Went to the shops earlier and it was nice to get outside again even if it wasn't for very long. A little concerned about how I'll be feeling over this period. I'd have been far happier in Edinburgh for certain but always the risk that I get the virus and pass it on to my mum so it was probably the safest decision.

Swept the corridor outside my flat earlier just for something to do and was washing the windows yesterday too. Taken down the blinds so there's as much light as possible (flat looks out to a courtyard, not the street). Also want to buy plants and stuff if I get the chance but not so easy as I'm trying to go as few times as possible to the shop and buy essentials only.

I actually have a decent amount of work to do from home which is helping so when I say "for something to do", I just mean something different that makes me feel useful outside of doing work.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » March 24th, 2020, 12:14 pm

They interrupted regular programming here in Japan for Abe to come on TV and announce the 2020 Olympics are going to be postponed until 2021. Since we are still in the middle of a pandemic they have no idea when they will actually take place at this point in time.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » March 24th, 2020, 12:23 pm

sol wrote:
Yes, I'm still driving into work every day. I work for state government, and my department is considered "essential" so I still have to come in. If my department had the proper resources, I would be able to work from home but they have a very limited number of computers to give workers to use at home, and I think managers/supervisors are given priority for working remotely (not allowed to use home PC, due to sensitive data we work with I guess. And personally, I don't even have a laptop at home anymore since mine died a couple years back). At least my office is really sparse, and we're very spaced out so social distancing is practiced. But it feels weird driving in each morning with the roads so clear. Schools have been closed for about 2 weeks now and "non-essential" businesses are closed effective today through May 15.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » March 24th, 2020, 12:26 pm

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 12:23 pm
sol wrote:
Yes, I'm still driving into work every day. I work for state government, and my department is considered "essential" so I still have to come in. If my department had the proper resources, I would be able to work from home but they have a very limited number of computers to give workers to use at home, and I think managers/supervisors are given priority for working remotely (not allowed to use home PC, due to sensitive data we work with I guess. And personally, I don't even have a laptop at home anymore since mine died a couple years back). At least my office is really sparse, we're very spaced out so social distancing is practiced. But it feels weird driving in each morning with the roads so clear. Schools have been closed for about 2 weeks now and "non-essential" businesses are closed effective today through May 15.
My aunt is still driving to work. Apparently what used to sometimes take over an hour to drive is now only taking 15 minutes. This was last week before the lockdown announcement in the UK so she's probably working from home now (I haven't spoken to her since then)

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » March 24th, 2020, 12:42 pm

sol wrote:
mightysparks wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 11:18 pm
My dad works in a liquor store and is pissed that it's considered essential. Especially when they're telling everyone not to drink or smoke..
The feeling is the same in the school staff room. It's really depressing to have to turn up for work day after day during this, especially given all of the shortages. We ran out of soap today.

I work part time but in a retirement home. The worst part is that I don't drive but take public transportation. I wear gloves and a mask and disinfect my phone as soon as the trip ends. I notice people look at me weird when I have the mask, but as a result they will do some social distancing with me.

Straka

Post by Straka » March 24th, 2020, 12:50 pm

I am actually at the office right now. Driving here is actually a bike ride and I am happy to have that. In no way is my work essential, but I cannot do it from home as I actually need equipment. Distancing discipline among colleagues is clearly poor, I try to do my best (and some others also). Well, that is the situation in the Netherlands...

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » March 24th, 2020, 12:55 pm

After seeing the email that just came from the top level at my job...not sure I could go back to work now even if I wanted to. There's some new mandate about further restricting access until at least April 6 now...

sol
Donator

Post by sol » March 24th, 2020, 1:04 pm

AdamH wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 12:26 pm
GruesomeTwosome wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 12:23 pm
sol wrote:
Yes, I'm still driving into work every day. I work for state government, and my department is considered "essential" so I still have to come in. If my department had the proper resources, I would be able to work from home but they have a very limited number of computers to give workers to use at home, and I think managers/supervisors are given priority for working remotely (not allowed to use home PC, due to sensitive data we work with I guess. And personally, I don't even have a laptop at home anymore since mine died a couple years back). At least my office is really sparse, we're very spaced out so social distancing is practiced. But it feels weird driving in each morning with the roads so clear. Schools have been closed for about 2 weeks now and "non-essential" businesses are closed effective today through May 15.
My aunt is still driving to work. Apparently what used to sometimes take over an hour to drive is now only taking 15 minutes. This was last week before the lockdown announcement in the UK so she's probably working from home now (I haven't spoken to her since then)
My drive to work was only 29 minutes this morning. That's down from 45 minutes in pre-Covid-19 times. Best though is the drive back home. That would sometimes take over an hour pre-Covid-19; now it's about 40 minutes. I guess it's nice not being stuck in traffic and all, but hearing from everyone on here how long their schools have been closed for makes me wonder what on earth the government is thinking here by telling us to keep going on, business as usual for the foreseeable future.

Anyway, interesting to read from others here that I'm not the only person still going into work. Definitely seems to be a rarity these days though.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 600 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

albajos

Post by albajos » March 24th, 2020, 1:12 pm

We have 2700 tested positive cases, but our general praticioners have a code they use on their computer when talking to their patients, and they have used the code 20200 times. These have not been tested, but their doctor think that are the best guess based on the symptomes. And they have to be very certain, or else they will just use a regular flue code.

But basically our numbers are possibly 8x higher than tested positive. And plus those that haven't contacted their doctor.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » March 24th, 2020, 2:15 pm

Finally, the inevitable postponement of the Tokyo Olympics is official. Pushed back to 2021. Only the fourth postponement of the Games in history, the other three times due to World War I and II.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » March 24th, 2020, 2:23 pm

albajos wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 1:12 pm
We have 2700 tested positive cases, but our general praticioners have a code they use on their computer when talking to their patients, and they have used the code 20200 times. These have not been tested, but their doctor think that are the best guess based on the symptomes. And they have to be very certain, or else they will just use a regular flue code.

But basically our numbers are possibly 8x higher than tested positive. And plus those that haven't contacted their doctor.
Case numbers everywhere are undoubtedly 10-100x higher than reported, depending on testing policy and depending what % of people who get it showing minimal/no symptoms.

In UK, last I knew, you're only getting tested when admitted to hospital. There's undoubtedly tens of thousands of people who are self-isolating with suspect symptoms. Just out of my house, 2 out of 3 of us have close family members doing that. Hopefully all minor cases if they are Covid, but none of these are being tested currently and clearly quite a lot of them would be positive.

albajos

Post by albajos » March 24th, 2020, 2:30 pm

Olympics:

They weren't psotponed, but cancelled.

Of course, you got a few that were boycotted as well.
At least 62 countries stayed away from Moscow in 1980
15 communist countris boycotted Los Angeles in 1984
but almost every other year there have been countries either boycotting or being banned because of war an ongoing war between participants

But at least IOC are getting better. They didn't even stop the 1972 Munich Olympics with the hostage situation. The games were suspended for 34 hours, but went back to normal afterwards.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » March 24th, 2020, 3:37 pm

Placido Domingo has CV, and he's 79.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » March 24th, 2020, 5:12 pm

Now, if only we could cancel all the Olympics ...

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 24th, 2020, 5:59 pm

Since I work for an individual and traveled to his home, we're having to rethink things. We're working on a new plan (that will last well into the future if we like it) where I will actually work from my home, so I already see a possible upside that wouldn't have happened but for the stay-at-home order.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » March 24th, 2020, 6:38 pm

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/03/ ... 22752.html

Oof.. Iran's leadership might be worse than Trump.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 24th, 2020, 6:42 pm

Kublai Khan wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 6:38 pm
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/03/ ... 22752.html

Oof.. Iran's leadership might be worse than Trump.
as hard at that is to imagine

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » March 24th, 2020, 8:10 pm

Well, if this is going to end in memes anyways, this was fairly accurate:

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » March 24th, 2020, 9:37 pm

St. Gloede wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 8:10 pm
"Lib and Auth left are fucking inverted"
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » March 24th, 2020, 11:18 pm

Hey gang -- I'm writing this to solicit some thoughts and advice from the teachers among us.

As a former teacher, I was asked by my boss to put together an info session for all the parents at my company who are currently trying to organize/supervise their kids' education at home. I already have a lot of thoughts on this topic (#1: Do what your kids' teachers tell you to do), but I thought I might be able to pick up some useful ideas here. So two questions for any teachers out there:

- What advice would you give to parents who are trying to supervise their kids' education?
- If your current school is closed, what are you and other teachers doing to administer remote learning (in terms of applications, assignments, schedule, etc.)?

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » March 24th, 2020, 11:45 pm

AdamH wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 12:12 pm
Stuck in the studio flat in London now for the foreseeable future. The weekend was the last chance to leave but I wasn't feeling well so didn't want to risk it. Feeling quite down just now at the prospect of months inside here. Went to the shops earlier and it was nice to get outside again even if it wasn't for very long. A little concerned about how I'll be feeling over this period. I'd have been far happier in Edinburgh for certain but always the risk that I get the virus and pass it on to my mum so it was probably the safest decision.

Swept the corridor outside my flat earlier just for something to do and was washing the windows yesterday too. Taken down the blinds so there's as much light as possible (flat looks out to a courtyard, not the street). Also want to buy plants and stuff if I get the chance but not so easy as I'm trying to go as few times as possible to the shop and buy essentials only.

I actually have a decent amount of work to do from home which is helping so when I say "for something to do", I just mean something different that makes me feel useful outside of doing work.
So how's your virus doing?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » March 25th, 2020, 12:09 am

Keep the memes coming, Ettie. I think this is my favorite so far:
Pretentious Hipster wrote:
March 22nd, 2020, 6:24 pm
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
More memorable quotesShow
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » March 25th, 2020, 12:12 am

Armoreska wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 9:37 pm
St. Gloede wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 8:10 pm
"Lib and Auth left are fucking inverted"
:lol:

(Disagree, but can see where you're coming from)

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 25th, 2020, 1:39 am

blocho wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 11:18 pm

- What advice would you give to parents who are trying to supervise their kids' education?
- If your current school is closed, what are you and other teachers doing to administer remote learning (in terms of applications, assignments, schedule, etc.)?
Two things:

- when do you expect to present? (what's the timeline) Also, what states do your coworkers live in?

- Not sure how many parents are on here, but this sounds like a great idea for a new thread. I'm guessing anyone with kids at home fulltime now will have lots of ideas, needs, etc.

Good luck!

sol can find me here

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » March 25th, 2020, 1:50 am

blocho wrote:
Hey gang -- I'm writing this to solicit some thoughts and advice from the teachers among us.

As a former teacher, I was asked by my boss to put together an info session for all the parents at my company who are currently trying to organize/supervise their kids' education at home. I already have a lot of thoughts on this topic (#1: Do what your kids' teachers tell you to do), but I thought I might be able to pick up some useful ideas here. So two questions for any teachers out there:

I teach middle school science and it's my first foray into long-distance teaching, so i'm not sure how it's totally going to go.

I think the most practical advice is to try to get the kids to explain things. Read over the instructions (or the text) yourself first if you want, but don't explain it to them. Have them read and re-read it and let them work it out themselves. Ask questions about it and patiently wait for the answer. Give them to the count of 20 to work it out for themselves. Too often kids learn that if they play dumb for long enough, someone else will take over and do it for them.

Second, teach the kid how to ask for help and that it's okay to ask for help. If my instructions are unclear in a way that I don't expect, show and explain to them that they need to advocate for themselves. They are entitled to education and knowledge which is a valuable thing. If they are frustrated it's their duty to themselves to speak up and ask for it to be re-explained in a different way. Too often kids just accept the falsehood that they can't learn stuff.

Third, stress how important education is. Ask to see what they did and express pride. It seems obvious, but too many parents just assume that their child knows they are proud of them. If they get 80% of the questions wrong, tell them they did a great job on the two they got right.

Fourth, keep an eye out on cheating. Absolutely nothing is stopping kids from copy/pasting a question into a google search bar and pulling up an answer and copying that back. I wouldn't totally mind except that it's often obvious when they do it because their answers make no sense in the context of the question. And going back to the first thing, they can't really explain their answer in a way that makes sense.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » March 25th, 2020, 1:59 am

xianjiro wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 1:39 am
blocho wrote:

Two things:

- when do you expect to present? (what's the timeline) Also, what states do your coworkers live in?

- Not sure how many parents are on here, but this sounds like a great idea for a new thread. I'm guessing anyone with kids at home fulltime now will have lots of ideas, needs, etc.
I'm hoping to present early next week. And everyone lives in either New York or New Jersey.

Kublai, thanks for your thoughts. Very helpful.

Just as an FYI, here are some of the points I plan to hit:
- Trust your kids' teachers. Whatever info/assignments they have are probably a good idea.
- Have a schedule and follow it. Don't just allow for an aimless stretch of work time, or (even worse) kinda-working-kinda-messing-around time.
- Set up a "learning area" that is not just the kid's bedroom. Put them at a desk in the living room or dining room or something. And try to maintain a school-like atmosphere when they are working - no running about or off-task behavior when they should be doing school assignments.
- Try to get a couple of independent projects or activities going, and let the kids decide what it is (unstructured reading time, or art, or exercise).
- Don't feel like you have to be the teacher or explain everything. Give the kids a chance to figure things out for themselves.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 25th, 2020, 2:12 am

Some places to start - maybe you've seen this already:

https://www.schools.nyc.gov/alerts/nyc- ... ch-16-2020

http://www.nyc.gov/html/acs/education/h ... oling.html

I'll continue to search for reliable sources of information online. An interesting aside, my local district has an online academy which uses the same calendar as the regular district schools - so it's something of a hybrid between homeschooling and public schooling. I thought they were a natural source of information but there website basically says: since the public schools are treating this as an extended break and we follow their schedule, we can't ask our students to do differently.

Unfortunately, there's lots of stuff to sift through online to find people who aren't trying to make a buck - that's what I was hoping to cut through. Will see what I can locate over the next couple days.

sol can find me here

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » March 25th, 2020, 2:18 am

Forcing the poor to work will be the next fascist genocide.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 25th, 2020, 3:39 am

@blocho - https://grow.google/remotework/ (scroll down a bit for "Teach from Anywhere"

sol can find me here

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » March 25th, 2020, 4:03 am

Jackson Browne has also reported having the virus

Trump is either an apatheist or an atheist. No way he would actually believe there's some authority over him.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » March 25th, 2020, 8:10 am

Armoreska wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 11:45 pm
AdamH wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 12:12 pm

So how's your virus doing?
I felt fine yesterday to be honest. I don't think it was anything. Maybe it was psychological because I spent days agonising about if I should go to Edinburgh or not and wanted to feel 100%. I mean I did have a sore throat etc. but maybe stress caused it all. Who knows but yesterday was the best I felt for days so it was obviously not the virus.