Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Favorite Movies (Results), 1945 (Results), 1929 awards (Apr 4th), South Asia (Apr 25th), Doubling the Canon (Ratings Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Nordic, 1950s
Film of the Week: The Music of Chance, May nominations (May 1st)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1F: Brazil vs Greece vs Japan vs Poland (Apr 5th), 1G: Germany vs Pakistan vs Ukraine vs USA (Apr 22nd)

Covid-19 or Worldwide Flu

Got it?

Yeah, I got it and feel HORRIBLE.
No votes
Yes, I got it, but am doing okay.
No votes
Yes, I had it but have recovered.
7%
I think I had it, but not sure.
No votes
No, still waiting.
64%
No, I know I won't get it. Ever.
21%
What are we talking about? I live under a rock.
7%

Total votes: 14

jeroeno

Re: Covid-19 or Worldwide Flu

Post by jeroeno » March 21st, 2020, 5:29 pm

So another 800 deaths in Italy today. Weren't we supposed to see some sort of decline over there because of the whole lockdown thing? Or is this just about too many patients and having to making horrible choices? It scares the hell out of me, especially since my beloved Spain looks to be going the same way.

albajos

Post by albajos » March 21st, 2020, 5:52 pm

Yes, too many patients, so they have to pick who get treatment

Lockdowns don't help for those that already got it, which can be as much as a month ago (but symptoms appear usually in 1-2 weeks, but we're all different)

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » March 21st, 2020, 7:56 pm

Went to the shops earlier today just to pick up a small number of things. Bought a couple of fish (leaving just 2 or 3 in the entire shop). Still lots of empty shelves.

I start working from home on Monday. Glad that this week was my final week on the tube. It was still pretty full every day I got it apart from Friday afternoon. They've closed 40 tube stations and the line I got to work had reduced to being every 15 minutes (normally I'd be waiting 5 minutes at most for the tube). Personally, I think that they should have closed school last week (attendances plummeted this week). Pubs, restaurants etc. closed now too. Previously people had been "advised" not to go but it wasn't working judging by the pubs I walked by on the way home from work. When I went out to the shops today it still seemed pretty busy out although the buses were noticeably empty.

I've been planning to go back to Edinburgh although I'd be staying with my mum who is 64 (never had any health problems touch wood). Original plan was to go on day schools closed (yesterday) but I've postponed it because I've had a sore throat. I feel alright though so I'll be surprised if it's anything but I'll see how I feel.

The school I work in is carrying on with classes as normal with students at home. Registers taken, classes on Zoom etc. All students have laptops from the school (they've had them for years, it wasn't done because of Coronavirus). I've taken home the landline phone from my office too. Working in a studio flat when my girlfriend works at home too isn't a particularly great prospect (hence I was planning to go to Edinburgh to a bigger house...don't fancy working from my bed but there's not a lot of space...) but I'm not complaining, just happy to not be using the tube every day. The advice was "don't travel by tube" but it wasn't exactly easy when I live 5 miles from the school and don't drive.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 21st, 2020, 10:04 pm

I'm still amazed by the amount of daytime traffic - doesn't seem any different (other than some people are even more clueless) - in my neighborhood

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » March 21st, 2020, 11:06 pm

My company is officially in "everybody works from home" mode with no travel allowed and all in-person meetings canceled.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » March 22nd, 2020, 12:36 am

jeroeno wrote:
March 21st, 2020, 5:29 pm
So another 800 deaths in Italy today. Weren't we supposed to see some sort of decline over there because of the whole lockdown thing? Or is this just about too many patients and having to making horrible choices? It scares the hell out of me, especially since my beloved Spain looks to be going the same way.
It is scary but there was always going to be a lag before you see any effect in the numbers. China locked down Jan 23, figures peaked around mid Feb.

I've heard different figures, but apparently for people who die it's something like 18-23 days average from infection to death. Seems lifetime ago in news time but Italy only did full lockdown 12 days ago, 9 March. Deaths now are result of infections 2-3+ weeks ago and the cumulative effect of several weeks' infections overwhelming hospital resources.

sebby

Post by sebby » March 22nd, 2020, 2:19 am

brokenface wrote:
March 22nd, 2020, 12:36 am
jeroeno wrote:
March 21st, 2020, 5:29 pm
It is scary but there was always going to be a lag before you see any effect in the numbers. China locked down Jan 23, figures peaked around mid Feb.

I've heard different figures, but apparently for people who die it's something like 18-23 days average from infection to death. Seems lifetime ago in news time but Italy only did full lockdown 12 days ago, 9 March. Deaths now are result of infections 2-3+ weeks ago and the cumulative effect of several weeks' infections overwhelming hospital resources.
This jibes with what I read recently about looking at Italy's first week April number to get a good handle on if they're getting things a little under control. Time to play the waiting game I guess.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » March 22nd, 2020, 3:18 am

sebby wrote:
March 22nd, 2020, 2:19 am
Time to play the waiting game I guess.

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » March 22nd, 2020, 8:40 am

I went for a 20k walk yesterday. Streets were a lot more empty than usual. I got to the Downs, which is a very big park, and there were more people than usual. I wasn't too concerned, it was a massive open space and everyone kept their distance. If you stay 100% locked up you will have problems with anxiety and immune system not getting it's vitamin D.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 22nd, 2020, 12:09 pm

I just went for a walk with my wife and kids. At the place we wanted to go the street to the parking place was completely full with cars. There were probably five times as many cars as on a normal Sunday morning. I turned the car around and went to a different part of the area. Luckily I know the neighborhood well enough, so I can find a spot where it's more quiet. There are lots of calls in (social) media now that you shouldn't go out into nature. Personally I see no problem in going out if you can keep distance. The problem is that most people go to the most well-known spots to park the car, which results in situations like this:

This is an entrance to the Amsterdam forest yesterday. The sign next to the group of people says to keep distance. Apparently people don't know how or don't care.

Where I was walking there were a few families walking around, but there was lots of space. We could easily avoid everyone. Most of the groups were two parents with their kids, but still you see people as well meeting up with others to go for a walk together.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » March 22nd, 2020, 12:14 pm

Maybe they're just anti-old people. :ermm:
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » March 22nd, 2020, 1:04 pm

matthewscott8 wrote:
March 22nd, 2020, 8:40 am
I went for a 20k walk yesterday. Streets were a lot more empty than usual. I got to the Downs, which is a very big park, and there were more people than usual. I wasn't too concerned, it was a massive open space and everyone kept their distance. If you stay 100% locked up you will have problems with anxiety and immune system not getting it's vitamin D.
Unless you have Vitamin D supplement and there's actually no sun outside.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 22nd, 2020, 1:16 pm

Some good news. For the first time in weeks I was able to buy a pack of toilet paper today. :banana:
ICM-profile

sol
Donator

Post by sol » March 22nd, 2020, 1:23 pm

joachimt wrote:
March 22nd, 2020, 1:16 pm
Some good news. For the first time in weeks I was able to buy a pack of toilet paper today. :banana:
Congrats, I guess. As mentioned to mighty above, toilet paper is back on the shelves here, though only at independent supermarkets (not the larger chains). It is all single rolls though (400 sheets 2 ply), there is currently a limit of 2 per customer and it is $2.29 a pop (that's expensive) - but some toilet paper is better than none.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 600 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 22nd, 2020, 4:04 pm

State borders are getting closed now. A couple of states are closing all non-essential services. They’re also doubling job seeker allowance, which is what I get from the government. The extra cash will be nice. It also means I can probably take time off work and just stay home completely and focus on my studies.

30 cases in WA last time I checked. Now it’s 120.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » March 22nd, 2020, 5:47 pm

Harmony Korine was right

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » March 22nd, 2020, 6:04 pm

This morning I met the fam at a park about 20 minutes away and we had a nice, long walk together. No one got within 6 ft of each other and the park was only thinly occupied. Those that were there were respectful of the distance. Had the same experience at a nearby grocery store right afterward too (except they were completely out of toilet paper).

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » March 22nd, 2020, 6:16 pm

Went for a bike ride myself, absolutely beautiful day, mostly empty roads, all felt very incongruous. All the empty pub beer gardens in the sunshine were sad to go past.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » March 22nd, 2020, 8:44 pm

After this ridiculous weekend of people in Japan walking and sitting around in huge crowds to see the flowers blooming, I have to imagine there's going to be a big spike in infections coming up.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » March 22nd, 2020, 8:51 pm

Judging from the way things are progressing, I'd say the USA will pass both Italy and China in total infections by Wednesday or Thursday. We're probably looking at a quarter-million by the end of next weekend if not before. Finally something the Trumpies can claim with justification that America is definitely the best at, right alongside our gun violence. Well, those who believe in facts that is.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » March 22nd, 2020, 9:22 pm

I can only draw one conclusion from Adam's observations of pubs in the UK, the picture J-Dog posted, the tweet about spring breakers Ettie shared and the crowds in Tokyo mentioned by Weirdboy: most people are hedonistic, braindead scum.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
More memorable quotesShow
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » March 22nd, 2020, 9:41 pm

Snowdonia National Park said the area "experienced its busiest ever visitor day in living memory" on Saturday, with other beaches and mountain summits busy.

:vrface:

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 22nd, 2020, 9:42 pm

Lammetje wrote:
March 22nd, 2020, 9:22 pm
most people are hedonistic, braindead scum.
A select number of people, not most.
If it's only 5% of people that would still be a lot of people in medium and large cities.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » March 22nd, 2020, 11:07 pm

Looks like Harvey Weinstein could possibly die in prison even sooner than expected, since he has reportedly tested positive for COVID-19 while in jail.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 22nd, 2020, 11:17 pm

That's pretty frustrating. It also annoys me that the whole trial could've helped make some progress in the way sexual violence is handled in courts and stuff and then corona comes in to make any conversation about it seem pointless and irrelevant. One battle at a time, I guess.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 22nd, 2020, 11:31 pm

Remember when I said that people started going stir-crazy after three days during a big snowstorm? Turns out we have to close all parks now - only way to manage the crowds. We are supposed to get some rain the next few days though. Plenty of local news reports about traffic jams from people trying to go to the beach or hike in scenic spots.

Things will probably be very different tomorrow.

Not sure it's just hedonism though. I don't think most people are good at "staying home". Plus we've had warm, dry weather and so everyone just does what comes naturally - they get out to enjoy it - it's just most people only know the popular places ... If 80% of people only know 1 or 2 hiking places, guess what happens?

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 22nd, 2020, 11:35 pm

The prime minister dude got annoyed at people going to Bondi Beach so closed off a bunch of beaches in the eastern states. I live at the beach and have noticed it has been quieter, but we're still getting a lot of people coming here. We're having warm weather (30+ next few days) so I guess people still want to flock to the ocean. It's going to be strange once they close all the restaurants downstairs, it's probably going to be like a ghost town here.

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » March 23rd, 2020, 9:02 am

Armoreska wrote:
March 22nd, 2020, 1:04 pm
matthewscott8 wrote:
Well it was a very sunny day, and I'll let the immunocomrpomised folk have the vitamin D supplements. Would feel pretty damned guilty buying them.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » March 23rd, 2020, 11:21 am

matthewscott8 wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 9:02 am
Armoreska wrote:
matthewscott8 wrote:
Well it was a very sunny day, and I'll let the immunocomrpomised folk have the vitamin D supplements. Would feel pretty damned guilty buying them.
Hm why? You think they would run out like TP? There's vegan D3 and D2 is always vegan. Walking in the sun is probably better altho not sure which is safer. Sun may cause cancer and walking around is always risky too.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » March 23rd, 2020, 12:22 pm

Armoreska wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 11:21 am
matthewscott8 wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 9:02 am
Armoreska wrote:

Hm why? You think they would run out like TP? There's vegan D3 and D2 is always vegan. Walking in the sun is probably better altho not sure which is safer. Sun may cause cancer and walking around is always risky too.
I don't think, I know, all the vitamin D in my town is gone, I know people who were stocking it up in January. Going for an occasional secluded walk is actually less dangerous than staying inside. The thing with COVID 19 has always been to steer a path between complacency and hysteria. I feel I'm doing pretty well at that.

albajos

Post by albajos » March 23rd, 2020, 12:29 pm

All? Every fish?

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » March 23rd, 2020, 12:33 pm

My brother was working out in his garage yesterday and an 85 year old man popped his head around the corner to tell him that coronavirus was a hoax. Said that he had been strafed at by the luftwaffe when he was a child, and that was a real problem.

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » March 23rd, 2020, 12:37 pm

Fed has just gone beserk, announced unlimited QE and buying up all sorts of random stuff, anything and everything. Hold onto your potatoes!

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » March 23rd, 2020, 12:42 pm

There is some serious crazy dark capitalism going on at the moment. Easyjet are going ahead with a £174 million dividend payment. £60 million to founder Stelios. They will soon be asking for government funding to stay afloat. This is evil and wicked, there is no way a company should be doing it, it is a crime plain and simple. Except it's probably legal. The dude will be looking for the best bodyguards in the business I imagine.

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » March 23rd, 2020, 12:53 pm

My brother's best friend threw a party Saturday before last, i.e. last socialisation before lockdown. He had a fever for an hour the day before but thought nothing of it. He had the party and then they all went out clubbing. Literally everyone at the party now has COVID-19. He knows 10 people he is certain he gave SARS-2 to. He reports back that the current phase is like having a Shetland Pony stood on your chest. He's late 20s.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 23rd, 2020, 1:01 pm

matthewscott8 wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 12:53 pm
My brother's best friend threw a party Saturday before last, i.e. last socialisation before lockdown. He had a fever for an hour the day before but thought nothing of it. He had the party and then they all went out clubbing. Literally everyone at the party now has COVID-19. He knows 10 people he is certain he gave SARS-2 to. He reports back that the current phase is like having a Shetland Pony stood on your chest. He's late 20s.
What an asshole!
Was your brother at the party? Did you see your brother recently?
ICM-profile

sol
Donator

Post by sol » March 23rd, 2020, 1:20 pm

matthewscott8 wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 12:53 pm
He's late 20s.
They have had to shut all cinemas, gyms, restaurants and nightclubs here due to just that sort of attitude that you describe. Young people (well, younger than myself) assuming that they are immune from the virus and carrying on with their regular routine like there is nothing to worry about.

Latest update: Anglican schools over here have decided to close (against government advice and they have been condemned for this) from tomorrow onward. Government schools will continue operating "business as usual" for the foreseeable future. I guess it's good being in an "essential services" field given that QANTAS - our biggest national airline - recently had to axe 20 000 jobs due to business turn-down, but it is weird going to work in such times.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 600 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » March 23rd, 2020, 1:46 pm

I guess one positive is that I with more free time I had a chance to work on my favorites list for like 4 hours straight yesterday...