Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Waiting for results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th)
Challenges: Experimental/Avant Garde, Benelux, Run the Director
Film of the Week: Daisan no kagemusha, March nominations (Feb 26th)

Covid-19 Quarantine

Got it?

Yeah, I got it and feel HORRIBLE.
No votes
Yes, I got it, but am doing okay.
5%
Yes, I had it but have recovered.
9%
I think I had it, but not sure.
5%
No, still waiting.
50%
No, I know I won't get it. Ever.
14%
I got vaccinated!
9%
What are we talking about? I live under a rock.
9%

Total votes: 22

Good_Will_Harding

Post by Good_Will_Harding »

Our work is offering the COVID vaccine for free sometime near the end of January, and at this rate I'll do anything to stop the parade of getting tested on a weekly basis. :ermm:
Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan »

Governor Ron DeSantis signed Executive Order 20-315 who states that health care personnel and people over 65 get priority for vaccinations. (And apparently Florida didn't really order enough.)

I guess I'll just keep teaching and hoping for the best until....sometime?

There's going to be a lot of right-wing news watching seniors who refuse to get vaccinated. So it'd be nice to know when the "first phase" is over.
Owner of two platinums:
  • FilmTotaal Top 100
  • IMDb's Sci-Fi Top 50
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Kublai Khan wrote: December 30th, 2020, 6:08 am Governor Ron DeSantis signed Executive Order 20-315 who states that health care personnel and people over 65 get priority for vaccinations. (And apparently Florida didn't really order enough.)

I guess I'll just keep teaching and hoping for the best until....sometime?

There's going to be a lot of right-wing news watching seniors who refuse to get vaccinated. So it'd be nice to know when the "first phase" is over.
The one person I hate more than Ronny DeathSantis is McConnell. Absolute scum of the fucking Earth, those two.
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

I don't see the problem with those groups getting it first? One group is most vulnerable and one group is almost constantly exposed to it. This is pretty much what every country is doing as well.

I'm sure teachers are gonna be refuse it too... I mean my place of work are full of them.
Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan »

I don't disagree with the logic, I'm more worried about the logistics.
Owner of two platinums:
  • FilmTotaal Top 100
  • IMDb's Sci-Fi Top 50
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

The retirement homes? Yea I get that. I'd still give it to ones that are mobile, but moving a bunch of immobile ones and ones with cognitive issues will be too difficult.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Pretentious Hipster wrote: December 30th, 2020, 9:24 am I don't see the problem with those groups getting it first? One group is most vulnerable and one group is almost constantly exposed to it. This is pretty much what every country is doing as well.

I'm sure teachers are gonna be refuse it too... I mean my place of work are full of them.
Technically, the most vulnerable people are those with autoimmune disorders like my best friend, who has no choice but to work around many people ever day. Why shouldn't she be one of the first to get it just because she's not old or a nurse?
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

kongs_speech wrote: December 30th, 2020, 2:03 pm
Pretentious Hipster wrote: December 30th, 2020, 9:24 am I don't see the problem with those groups getting it first? One group is most vulnerable and one group is almost constantly exposed to it. This is pretty much what every country is doing as well.

Technically, the most vulnerable people are those with autoimmune disorders like my best friend, who has no choice but to work around many people ever day. Why shouldn't she be one of the first to get it just because she's not old or a nurse?
I'd say it depends whether or not they work the frontline. If one is working at home and gets everything delivered then they are not really at risk.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Pretentious Hipster wrote: December 30th, 2020, 2:11 pm

I'd say it depends whether or not they work the frontline. If one is working at home and gets everything delivered then they are not really at risk.
She does not work at home.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

kongs_speech wrote: December 30th, 2020, 2:11 pm
Pretentious Hipster wrote: December 30th, 2020, 2:11 pm

She does not work at home.
Then the first sentence applies.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

A Louisiana Congressman-Elect, Luke Letow (R), 41, has died of COVID. While lots of high profile people in the US government have contracted the disease, this is the first time someone's died. He was supposedly healthy and had no co-morbidities. If this country were even borderline sane, this would have an affect on some of the people who still pretend that it's all fake news, but I suspect...not.

https://www.thenewsstar.com/story/news/ ... 082977001/
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

OldAle1 wrote: December 30th, 2020, 3:23 pm A Louisiana Congressman-Elect, Luke Letow (R), 41, has died of COVID. While lots of high profile people in the US government have contracted the disease, this is the first time someone's died. He was supposedly healthy and had no co-morbidities. If this country were even borderline sane, this would have an affect on some of the people who still pretend that it's all fake news, but I suspect...not.

He did say the economy was more important than lives.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

It is what it is.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/29/us/p ... cines.html

Just the latest sign of a country experiencing immense decline. The goal of federal officials at the beginning of December was to do 20 million first dose vaccinations by the end of the month. We're currently at 2.1 million. 11.4 million doses have been distributed by the pharma companies, so I guess that means more than nine million doses are just sitting in a hospital or warehouse somewhere.
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

OldAle1 wrote: December 30th, 2020, 3:23 pm A Louisiana Congressman-Elect, Luke Letow (R), 41, has died of COVID. While lots of high profile people in the US government have contracted the disease, this is the first time someone's died. He was supposedly healthy and had no co-morbidities. If this country were even borderline sane, this would have an affect on some of the people who still pretend that it's all fake news, but I suspect...not.

Thoughts and prayers, thoughts and prayers....
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

blocho wrote: December 30th, 2020, 8:58 pm https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/29/us/p ... cines.html

Just the latest sign of a country experiencing immense decline. The goal of federal officials at the beginning of December was to do 20 million first dose vaccinations by the end of the month. We're currently at 2.1 million. 11.4 million doses have been distributed by the pharma companies, so I guess that means more than nine million doses are just sitting in a hospital or warehouse somewhere.
Kushner isn't answering his phone, so everything's ground to a halt. :rolleyes:
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

blocho wrote: December 30th, 2020, 8:58 pm https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/29/us/p ... cines.html

funny thing about planning logistics - "we'll leave it up to the states" isn't much of a plan

Given the general ineptitude of this kakistration, is it any wonder they are having trouble getting vaccines into arms?

Also, since the actual choices of who gets stuck first is left up to the states, it's not surprising that we are starting to see chaos. I'm just wondering which state has prioritized the rich and well-healed. :think: While we might not agree with some of the decisions - for example, Texas put teachers right behind medical workers and I believe care homes (but I've no idea where police/firefighters fall). Clearly that's the right choice if schools are open, but it would make no sense in a state where they are still closed. However, getting school employees with public contact inoculated sooner makes perfect sense to me. (As with any "front-line worker" if that means people who have contact with the public.)

But how the hell can you have a reasoned distribution plan in place when you've spent the last eight months denying there is a problem that needs to be fixed? And this issue goes beyond the national and I suspect infects many state governments as well. I'm also suspicious that states that aren't in denial are suffering from "budgetary constraints" and "staffing issues" that have led to most being behind the curve. It won't be a surprise to read, "we really expected more guidance from the Feds" in days to come.

And we've still got to deal with issues like: "can government force people to get the vaccine?" and "can employers require employees to have been vaccinated?" and "will we need vaxx-certification to fly, shop, etc?" My bet is, like everything in the US, it will be all over the place.
Last edited by xianjiro on December 31st, 2020, 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

Louis Gurvich, the Republican party chair, told NOLA.com, "We're all in disbelief. The world was his oyster."

It'll be interesting to compare the two nearby elections for the same post.
he or A. or Armo or any

currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD,
Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

If I understand correctly, my state has received about 50,000 doses of vaccine and given shots to just over 38,000 healthcare workers and people working or living in care facilities. That's a bit better than I'd expected, but with over 4.2 million residents ...

Also, for some unstated reason, the state's given up trying to control school reopenings. One county is going so far as all students back full-time ("like it was pre-pandemic" plus masks) on January 11th. They chose that date because it's 10 days after the holidays. Again, an interesting experiment although I'm assuming it's been playing out elsewhere for some time.

I guess what shocks me most is this will happen before employees - let alone families and children - will be inoculated, but the upside is parents will be able to opt out and continue with distance learning for some while yet. No word on if employees get a choice though generally teachers' unions have been working hard to protect workers.

For all those expecting 2021 to somehow be "better", I fear there is a long road of disappointment ahead.

One other thing, though quite unsubstantiated and I admit that I might have misunderstood, Texas might be allowing the vaccine to go to the general public, if not already, then quite soon. While I guess in some redder locales it might be hard to give it away even with a $2,000 check, I just can't imagine that every healthcare or education worker who is willing to get the vaccine has yet had an opportunity. If I understood Oregon's numbers correctly, there are about 300,000 healthcare workers in our tiny state - so we're not even at 20% of that crowd let alone care facility residents (not sure if the 300,000 includes their employees or not - one would expect, but who knows the actual methodology behind the numbers bandied about in the press, let alone on anti-societal media).

I still don't get why restriction-heavy California is doing so poorly while Texas seems to have played a more relaxed game (and Florida almost no game at all) and yet both seem much better off. Seems to me someone's missing something. Will make some interesting public health case studies when the dust starts to settle.

Also read an AP article about how the search for the origin of the virus is now being treated as a state secret in China. While I won's say it would have been different, one does wonder if a less belligerent squatter in the White House might have changed the outcome somewhat. While I'm not sure what difference knowing will make going forward, it sure seems cooperation would be better - but it's only 1.8 million dead and counting. Those are just numbers on some website.

:facepalm:
sebby

Post by sebby »

COVID in 2021 will likely not create the same emotional and economical havoc, or have the staying power it did in 2020, but by the time it's generally considered "under control" I think it's a distinct possibility the number dead in the new year will roughly equal the number in 2020. It's going to likely be an unbelievably awful winter, with the virus raging again and, ridiculously, the turn of the calendar being used as a reason to relax restrictions in many areas around the globe.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Considering how many won't get the vaccine it'll be.months before the first world gets back to "normal". There's also the fact that apparently america bought 1.5 billion doses and the European Union bought 2 million so it'll take even longer for the more impoverished countries. I did see that China is going to vaccinate African next though.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

Anyone made thru 2020 without getting sick with any infections?
(I got my dose of suffering in January)
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Armoreska wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 10:57 am Anyone made thru 2020 without getting sick with any infections?
Still healthy. Nobody near me got sick. Only some colleagues and students, but no near family or friends.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

Armoreska wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 10:57 am Anyone made thru 2020 without getting sick with any infections?
I didn't get sick but I was unemployed from March to September then from November to now because of Covid-19, so that limits interactions.
My concubine got sore throat sooner this week but it wasn't Covid. We have no kids.
"Art is like a fire, it is born from the very thing it burns" - Jean-Luc Godard
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

"The WHO said that the newly authorized vaccines, such as Pfizer and Moderna, should still work against the new coronavirus variant."

"He added that the threats will continue, and because our planet is so fragile, we must learn from the coronavirus pandemic and get our act together."
from
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/medica ... r-BB1ckkzy

Are you guys getting your act together yet?
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

I work in a school in London. Schools were closed March-July and then open September-December again. New announcement that they are closed this term (4th January-19th February) with rumours they might not re-open until after Easter. Have to say, in terms of mental health, the schools being open in late 2020 and being able to go into work properly was massive. Schools still continue online but obviously it's very different.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

First year in my life that I never got a flu or cold or anything.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

mightysparks wrote: January 5th, 2021, 10:34 pm
Awesome. I've had those before.
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Armoreska wrote: January 5th, 2021, 11:32 pm
Awesome. I've had those before.
I didn’t even do anything different so i assume it was just other people staying in more. Hope that continues to be the case lol
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

yeah, same here, though the season's only a little before halfway through, but I don't really expect to get sick between so little contact with other people, masks and hand cleaning

it's interesting because I thought in past years I got sick a lot, just not real sick. But it seems pretty clearly connected to food allergies.

there's always some silver lining?
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

I lost another co-worker the other day. I was much closer to this one; worked closely with him and saw him every day. Damn.
Can't wait until this $%#@! pandemic ENDS.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

peeptoad wrote: January 6th, 2021, 1:25 pm I lost another co-worker the other day. I was much closer to this one; worked closely with him and saw him every day. Damn.
Can't wait until this $%#@! pandemic ENDS.
So sorry for your loss. :( I haven't known anyone personally who died of COVID, thankfully, but I can't say the same for my friends. Just a couple days ago, my stage actor friend who's very active in his local LGBTQ+ community lost a drag queen friend he had known for years. This pandemic is the worst event I've witnessed in nearly three decades on this planet, and I just feel so blessed that my mom and I were able to pull through, especially considering how sick she became.
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

Thanks, kong. Sorry about your friend's friend; even a lost acquaintance is no good. It's tough times for most or all right now...
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

after someone mentioned Charlie Brooker I noticed he had a new Screenwipe
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/cha ... iral+wipe/

btw this old link needs to be merged
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/cha ... iral+wipe/
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Second dose on Tuesday. I've been told that this one is where the side effects are gonna be shitty. Will update as it happens.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Good luck! My understanding is not everyone has issues, but if they do, it's with the second. So hopefully you won't! (fingers crossed)
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

xianjiro wrote: January 8th, 2021, 9:11 pm Good luck! My understanding is not everyone has issues, but if they do, it's with the second. So hopefully you won't! (fingers crossed)
Most provinces actually ran out of vaccines lol. Fortunately they cancelled 2 days worth of appointments and are giving us first dibs on Friday and Saturday. I did have to reschedule my work schedule a bit though because apparently fevers are common at the second one so they won't let me work anyways.