Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Waiting for results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th)
Challenges: Experimental/Avant Garde, Benelux, Run the Director
Film of the Week: Daisan no kagemusha, March nominations (Feb 26th)

Covid-19 Quarantine

Got it?

Yeah, I got it and feel HORRIBLE.
No votes
Yes, I got it, but am doing okay.
5%
Yes, I had it but have recovered.
9%
I think I had it, but not sure.
5%
No, still waiting.
50%
No, I know I won't get it. Ever.
14%
I got vaccinated!
9%
What are we talking about? I live under a rock.
9%

Total votes: 22

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

And of course there are now long lines at shop of people who quickly want to buy essential things like.....eh.......like........
People are crazy......
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

What flavor of lockdown? I didn't see anything on the Netherlands, but did read about Germany. Is it full, or just non-essentials? I see you mentioned schools are shifting to remote work.

One of the things that seems a bit confusing to me is how one country starts opening and another closes down. While that's most likely a function of political vagaries, I still find myself asking why? What's going on?

I just hope that people get the message that now isn't the time to give up on physical distancing, hand washing, and mask wearing. I've no concept of what will trigger that advice being changed, but I'm fully prepared to keep up the current routine throughout the spring of 2021 - so much will just depend on the vaccine roll-out.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

xianjiro wrote: December 14th, 2020, 5:34 pm What flavor of lockdown? I didn't see anything on the Netherlands, but did read about Germany. Is it full, or just non-essentials? I see you mentioned schools are shifting to remote work.
Official news is out now.
- Schools are closing for all ages.
- Shops are closing, except essentials (supermarkets, ......).
- Sportclubs and other clubs are closing.
- Theaters, museums, amusement parks, zoo's, etc.... are closing.
- No more than two visitors on a single day at home.
- No groups of more than two people outdoors (except households). This also includes outdoor sports.
- Hairdressers, beautyshops, prostitutes (somehow these are always specifically mentioned in the news here) and such are closing.

And a strong urge to keep travelling to only what's necessary and work from home as much as possible.
ICM-profile
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

That's a pretty big deal! Did you have any plans to travel for the holidays? (I know, it sounds stupid to ask, but ...)
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

No, no plans. We planned to visit my in-laws, but only my wife and kids, nobody else. I did plan to do a view fun things with my kids during Christmas break, like going to the swimming pool, to the cinema, etc... Those were still open lately but with a maximum amount of people, so for a swimming pool you had to reserve a timeslot. But now pools are closing as well. This will last at least till January 19th.

And I forgot to add......
........ churches, synagogues, mosques, etc... will remain open, as long as visitors will keep 1.5 m distance. I get so angry hearing this. Sports is a lot more healthier than religion, but I can't have an outside match, but in a church they are allowed to be together inside with dozens of people or more. All based on "freedom of religion", which is a constitutional right.
ICM-profile
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Well we have the same issue here. Saw somewhere something to the effect that a state wasn't going to restrict worship or protest because those were both constitutionally protected rights. But it does seem like being inside a building is the higher risk. I also know that making these decisions isn't easy. I'm trying not to second guess and be supportive. I'm thankful I'm not the one having to decide what people can and can't do.

Sorry it's going to affect your plans, but you guys can make it through!

Just got off the phone with my primary care doc and have been told which tier I'm in for the vaccine. He shared two pieces of advice specific to me: 1) When offered the vaccine, take it. Doesn't matter which. He was responsible for reviewing the data and recently presented the information to clinic staff. They don't yet know how this is going to get from trucks to arms. Best I can tell from today's press, we got fewer than 4000 doses for the entire Metro area of about 2 million! I know, it's just a start.

2) Be prepared to continue with hand washing, mask wearing, and physical distancing for months to come because they really aren't clear how/when vaccines will be distributed yet. It sounds like all that's been done is to assign population groups to tiers.

Will be interesting to hear how this goes elsewhere. I know it's going to be a lot of "hurry up and wait" type rhetoric in social media.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

xianjiro wrote: December 14th, 2020, 9:36 pm Sorry it's going to affect your plans, but you guys can make it through!
I don't worry much about my own life. We've got a fine place here for me and my family. My oldest daughter cried a lot when she heard the news though. She was so sad she can't go to school for a while. She's not an average student.......

I'm more worried about some of my students at the school I work. My daughter is very motivated by herself for her schoolwork, but not everyone is like that of course. Some of my students don't do anything at home already, they often only work when they are at school under supervision of a teacher. Now they have to do everything without supervision.
ICM-profile
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

We're starting to see stats about how distance learning is having an impact: one district is reporting 20% of high schoolers are failing at least one class while another is closer to 40%.
Spoiler
While many school districts across the state and country have seen a surge in failing grades, Portland Public Schools hasn’t, according to figures district officials provided to The Oregonian/OregonLive.

That appears to be primarily because Oregon’s largest district doesn’t give a failing grade to students who complete too little work to judge their performance in a course. It issues those students a grade of incomplete or, more typically, no grade at all.

Nearly 4% of the district’s approximately 12,700 high schoolers received an incomplete in the first quarter of the 2020-21 school year, Chief of Schools Shawn Bird said. Another 18% received at least one “no grade” for the term.

In terms of effect, earning no grade is largely akin to earning an F: If the course is required for graduation, the student must retake it or make up all essential missed work and earn a passing grade.

Nearly 3% of Portland Public Schools’ high schoolers earned an F in one or more classes in the first quarter of the 2020-21 academic year. All told, 1 in 4 high schoolers either failed a course or received a mark of incomplete or no grade in the first quarter of the year, which ended Nov. 5.

That’s a jump of about 5 percentage points over last year’s proportion of students in the same boat by the end of the first semester. Portland Public Schools spokesperson Karen Werstein said the district’s adjusted high school schedule for fall means students this year took a full semester’s worth of a class in one quarter, known as a four-by-four schedule.

Among students from historically underserved populations, which include Black, Indigenous and other students of color in addition to those who qualify for free and reduced lunch, the proportion of students who either failed or received no grade was higher: nearly 1 in 3.

Without face-to-face contact, Oregon schools struggle to keep disengaged students on track

Nearly 40% of Black high schoolers received an F or an incomplete in the first quarter of this year compared to 36% by the end of the first semester last year.

Among Latino students, the percentage rose to 41% from 36%.

By contrast, 15% of the district’s white high schoolers received an F or incomplete in the first quarter of this year compared to 12% by the end of the first semester last year.

Among Asian students, the percentage rose to 15% from 13%.

But a much smaller share of Portland Public Schools’ high schoolers failed than in other districts in the state and across the country. In early November, the Salem-Keizer district reported more than half of its high schoolers were on track to fail at least one class.

At McNary High School alone, about 38% of students were failing in late October compared to the 8% typically on that trajectory, Principal Erik Jespersen told The Washington Post.

Bird said this year’s share of Portland students failing at least one class is about what officials expect in a typical year and that both an incomplete and “no grade” are functionally the same in terms of “what happens next for students.”

“What this means is that our teachers overwhelmingly chose to give students who have not completed all of the required work chose to assign a NG mark instead of failing students in order to give them more time to complete their assignments,” he told The Oregonian/OregonLive.

District policy for incompletes is that students have until the end of the next academic year to make up the coursework. That means students who earned an incomplete or no grade this fall have until August 2022 to earn a letter grade.

As of Dec. 11, about 1,400 students had incompletes in one or more classes, 3,500 in all.

With some courses, such as English, a student can receive an incomplete or even a failing grade in the first part of the sequence and, if they pass the second class, make it up.

“If you’re in English 1 the first semester and you get a failing grade but then pass the second semester, that validates it,” Bird said.

The original non-passing or incomplete grade from the first class in the sequence becomes a passing grade that doesn’t affect the student’s grade point average.

Portland Public Schools ended the 2019-20 school year with about 4,000 incompletes. Students have until August 2021 to turn in outstanding work and receive a letter grade for those courses.

Since June, district officials have mounted efforts to help students with incompletes get back on track.

Portland Public Schools hired substitute teachers this fall to lead credit recovery classes that students can take on top of their normal class load.

Counselors and social workers have conducted socially distanced home visits to check on students who don’t engage in distance learning. Sometimes they might also tag along with a bus driver during meal drops to check in on families.

“There are triggers in the system,” Bird said. “If a student doesn’t log in for two or three days, we go looking for them.”

In October, Roosevelt High Principal KD Parman suggested offering on-site tech help for families who were having trouble with their district-issued Chromebooks or needed someone to walk them through the login process for Canvas or Google Classroom.

District officials greenlit Parman’s proposal. And when families visited the North Portland high school for technology troubleshooting, educators asked whether students engaged with their coursework and if they needed help in a given class.

“It started as a sort of tech help thing but evolved over time to meet other student needs,” Bird said.

He also said the district is fielding proposals from other principals, which may lead to similar services rolling out elsewhere in the district.

Portland Public Schools has also been offering in-person special education and kindergarten literacy assessments at Martin Luther King Jr. and Pioneer schools.

https://www.oregonlive.com/education/20 ... arter.html
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

They brought in an app so people have to check-in when they visit places now (or paper sign-in). Not sure why we really need it now when we haven't had a community transmission here since... July? idk but the virus has been over forever. seems too little, too late.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

mightysparks wrote: December 15th, 2020, 3:16 am They brought in an app so people have to check-in when they visit places now (or paper sign-in). Not sure why we really need it now when we haven't had a community transmission here since... July? idk but the virus has been over forever. seems too little, too late.
On behalf of all reasonable Americans, I just have to say... fuck you. :lol:
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

maxwelldeux wrote: December 15th, 2020, 4:22 am
mightysparks wrote: December 15th, 2020, 3:16 am They brought in an app so people have to check-in when they visit places now (or paper sign-in). Not sure why we really need it now when we haven't had a community transmission here since... July? idk but the virus has been over forever. seems too little, too late.
:hug: We didn’t even get 1000 cases in WA, it was over before it began lol. Can’t even imagine what it’s like in the rest of the world...
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

mightysparks wrote: December 15th, 2020, 5:48 am
:hug: We didn’t even get 1000 cases in WA, it was over before it began lol. Can’t even imagine what it’s like in the rest of the world...
Whaddya think? Maybe we should send half the Trump administration on an immediate fact finding mission to Western Australia. Wonder if they could make it past Immigration :think:
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

xianjiro wrote: December 14th, 2020, 5:34 pm One of the things that seems a bit confusing to me is how one country starts opening and another closes down. While that's most likely a function of political vagaries, I still find myself asking why? What's going on?
In some countries numbers are rising like crazy, in others they're dropping. Each country reacts to its own numbers.
Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan »

As someone who works in education as a teacher, I firmly believe that sports stars will receive a vaccine before I do.
Owner of two platinums:
  • FilmTotaal Top 100
  • IMDb's Sci-Fi Top 50
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Onderhond wrote: December 15th, 2020, 9:09 am
xianjiro wrote: December 14th, 2020, 5:34 pm One of the things that seems a bit confusing to me is how one country starts opening and another closes down. While that's most likely a function of political vagaries, I still find myself asking why? What's going on?
In some countries numbers are rising like crazy, in others they're dropping. Each country reacts to its own numbers.
yeah, but when they are right next to each other or nearby, borders aren't strict enough for the most part in this day and age to stop the spread. Massachusetts was easing while Boston is heading to lockdown.
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

joachimt wrote: December 14th, 2020, 9:43 pm Some of my students don't do anything at home already, they often only work when they are at school under supervision of a teacher. Now they have to do everything without supervision.
Just to put things in perspective: Here in New Mexico the Public Education Department is looking for 12,000 children who have vanished since the lockdown began in March. They have no contact with them whatsoever and they are not enrolled in any school and there are no records of their whereabouts. That's in a state with 2 million people, so it would roughly be equivalent to the Netherlands losing contact with 60,000 children. Did the Dutch authorities lose all contact with 60,000 children?
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Knaldskalle wrote: December 15th, 2020, 5:55 pm
joachimt wrote: December 14th, 2020, 9:43 pm Some of my students don't do anything at home already, they often only work when they are at school under supervision of a teacher. Now they have to do everything without supervision.
Just to put things in perspective: Here in New Mexico the Public Education Department is looking for 12,000 children who have vanished since the lockdown began in March. They have no contact with them whatsoever and they are not enrolled in any school and there are no records of their whereabouts. That's in a state with 2 million people, so it would roughly be equivalent to the Netherlands losing contact with 60,000 children. Did the Dutch authorities lose all contact with 60,000 children?
That's a huge number.
We might have lost a few dozens or so in the Netherlands. Mostly kids from immigrants.
ICM-profile
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

maxwelldeux wrote: December 14th, 2020, 6:21 am Not gonna lie - I cried today at the news.

I didn't realize just how much stress I've been under recently until recent news. But seeing the news that the vaccine is actually shipping finally hit me today. There was a stress cry - like "oh my god, there might actually be an exit to this living hell". Just having hope again makes a huge difference.
:hug:
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

mightysparks wrote: December 15th, 2020, 5:48 am
Even worse for me, you abbreviate it "WA" and I get excited for good news. Whereas in my "WA", we had 2957 cases... yesterday. :circle: :circle: :circle:
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

Healthcare workers of 10 retirement homes in this city were vaccinated. So, maybe end of January for me?
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

The area hospitals near where I work have received theirs, but no timeline for giving it yet.
Since I'm not a front line worker I expect we'll probably get ours around March-June if we are lucky and there are no complications.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Tom Cruise yelled at some people breaking protocol. He did the very rare good thing?
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

New strain of Covid-19, says Boris J.
It appears to spread more easily and may be up to 70% more transmissable than the earlier strain.

Is the vaccine ineffective against this one? Is this COVID 20?
he or A. or Armo or any

currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD,
Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Armoreska wrote: December 20th, 2020, 1:12 pm
Is the vaccine ineffective against this one? Is this COVID 20?
So far I've seen no comment one way or the other on this - and which vaccine, there are at least six I know of released or in final stages. But, if I understand correctly, the western vaccines work in a way that doesn't limit their usefulness to a given strain, however, I admit to being woefully underinformed (by design) on the vaccine's and the disease's mechanics.

However, while more transmittable, this new variant doesn't appear more deadly. (Or less deadly from the one article I've read.)

Still, as best I can tell, this is a very recent development and I'm a little less willing to believe what I read. Not enough is known yet.
weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy »

"Tokyo's health system is on the brink of collapse" according to tweet from Tokyo Metropolitan Hospital Association.

https://tmha.net/important/20201218_message.html

"Tokyo's health system is on the brink of collapse" according to tweet from Tokyo Metropolitan Hospital Association.

https://tmha.net/important/20201218_message.html

Here is my crappy translation:
① 現状のまま感染者が増え続け、東京都で1日1,000人を超えるような事態になれば、
適切な医療を受けられず死亡する人が出てくることが高い確率で予想されます。

② 医療従事者、特に看護師が疲弊しきってきています。
診療の現場での疲労に加え、感染を外部から持ち込むことによる病院内での集団感染を予防するため、10ヶ月以上の長期にわたり私生活を強く規制されています。
私権の制限に相当する状況です。もちろんほとんどの看護師はGO TO キャンペーンは利用できる立場ではありません。

①,②を回避するためには感染者数を短期間で激減させるしか方法はありません。
それには、緊急事態宣言やロックダウンに匹敵する極めて強力な対応を行うことが不可欠です。
1. As the number of infections continues to increase, if the number of infections were to increase to more than 1000 people per day in Tokyo, there is a high probability of that we will be unable to accept patients for suitable treatment, and people will die.

2. Health practitioners, particularly nurses, are reaching a point of exhaustion. In addition to fatigue from medical care, private lives have been strictly regimented for over 10 long months in order to prevent outbreaks due to outside infection. In this situation private rights have been curtailed. Of course, most nurses are not in a position to use the GO TO campaign.

To avoid 1 & 2, there is no other method than to sharply decrease the number of infected persons in a short time. It is essential to respond powerfully with a declaration of state of emergency and lockdown.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Red-county America today:

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

On hold to book my vaccine now

EDIT: Getting it tomorrow
prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

Yeeah boy
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

OldAle1 wrote: December 21st, 2020, 6:35 pm Red-county America today:

That could quite easily be a scene from the Florida panhandle.
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

It's not that bad here - except in certain kinds of stores frequently almost entirely by white Republican types, which are happily a minority (though a large one). There are a couple of antique malls I go to occasionally, located on either side of the street that is the WI-IL border; the one in IL (which is by far the better one anyway) has a big "masks required" sign and I've hardly seen anybody break the rule, and certainly every employee has been totally masked for months. The one across the street in WI on the other hand... no sign, no masks on the employees or probably half the customers. I probably won't go there again. I suppose I could complain but at this point it's not worth the effort and the possibility of getting shot or beaten up or something.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Just got it. I noticed some numbers forming on my skin but it was only for like 15 seconds
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

as long as you don't feel an uncontrollable urge to vote conservative
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

xianjiro wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 8:04 pm as long as you don't feel an uncontrollable urge to vote conservative
I do feel like Bill Gates is watching me though :o
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Pretentious Hipster wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 8:08 pm
xianjiro wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 8:04 pm as long as you don't feel an uncontrollable urge to vote conservative
I do feel like Bill Gates is watching me though :o
well then, put down that WinPhone and get back to work! 👊🏼
funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness »

Pretentious Hipster wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 2:00 pm Just got it. I noticed some numbers forming on my skin but it was only for like 15 seconds
oh god, it's not Bill Gates; it's TikTok!
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Each employee is given a $75 gift certificate if they are vaccinated within the next 3 weeks lol
funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness »

Pretentious Hipster wrote: December 24th, 2020, 1:42 am Each employee is given a $75 gift certificate if they are vaccinated within the next 3 weeks lol
a gift certificate... for the retirement home?
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

UK government bans travel from South Africa over another Covid variant
he or A. or Armo or any

currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD,
Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

funkybusiness wrote: December 24th, 2020, 10:23 am
Pretentious Hipster wrote: December 24th, 2020, 1:42 am Each employee is given a $75 gift certificate if they are vaccinated within the next 3 weeks lol
a gift certificate... for the retirement home?
Looks like most employees are refusing to get it so they're trying to do some initiative as it's not required by law to get it.