Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 16 released September 13th)
Polls: Romance (Results), 1951 (Results), 500<400 (Sep 23rd), 2008 (Oct 4th)
Challenges: Animation, Silent Era, Russia/USSR
Film of the Week: L'inhumaine, October nominations (Sep 25th)
World Cup S4: QF Schedule, Match QFB: India vs Greece (Sep 20th), Match QFC: Germany vs Italy (Oct 1st)

Covid-19 quarantine zone (Not just a worldwide Flu!)

Got it?

Yeah, I got it and feel HORRIBLE.
No votes
Yes, I got it, but am doing okay.
2%
Yes, I had it but have recovered.
2%
I think I had it, but not sure.
8%
No, still waiting.
71%
No, I know I won't get it. Ever.
13%
What are we talking about? I live under a rock.
5%

Total votes: 62

Kublai Khan

Re: Covid-19 quarantine zone (Not just a worldwide Flu!)

Post by Kublai Khan » September 8th, 2020, 10:56 pm

The Sturgis motorcycle rally is being studied as a super spreader event. http://ftp.iza.org/dp13670.pdf
Owner of three platinums:
  • FilmTotaal top 100
  • IMDb's 1980s Top 50
  • IMDb's Animation Top 50

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » September 9th, 2020, 7:01 am

Who could possibly have thought bringing 500k people from all round the country to one small place could be a bad idea in a pandemic?

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » September 9th, 2020, 6:19 pm

So, has anyone heard of a successful reopening?

While NZ isn't doing bad by international standards, it does make one wonder how societies can cope (well, until we have vaccines and a population willing to take them).

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » September 11th, 2020, 4:07 pm

Well, we finally have COVID vaccine studies starting up at my job. The prelim work for this was done back in April but they are now ready to pilot the vaccine... I'm very excited and I hope something useful comes out of this!

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » September 11th, 2020, 4:42 pm

RIP, mice
currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » September 11th, 2020, 5:42 pm

Necermind. Ill just say RIP humans and be done with it

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » September 11th, 2020, 6:05 pm

peeptoad wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 5:42 pm
Necermind. Ill just say RIP humans and be done with it
(l) tehe
We all will anyway. Sad.
currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » September 11th, 2020, 6:15 pm

Yeah, well it'll make me feel better to say that I enjoy the company of nonhuman animals far more than that of other people about 90% of the time. I don't enjoy aspects of my job, but it is necessary for advancement. And someone has got to do it.
I plan making amends when I retire by starting or funding a nature preserve 8n Costa Rica.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » September 11th, 2020, 7:08 pm

peeptoad wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 6:15 pm
Yeah, well it'll make me feel better to say that I enjoy the company of nonhuman animals far more than that of other people about 90% of the time. I don't enjoy aspects of my job, but it is necessary for advancement. And someone has got to do it.
I plan making amends when I retire by starting or funding a nature preserve 8n Costa Rica.
Misanthropic philanthropy. ;)
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » September 12th, 2020, 1:05 pm

I can give you guys a little news scoop that the Oxford vaccine study has been given MHRA approval to resume in UK, which is good news. Got paused last week due to a safety concern with one participant. No confirmation on what it was but suggests they don't think it's related.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » September 12th, 2020, 1:15 pm

Knaldskalle wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 7:08 pm
peeptoad wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 6:15 pm
Misanthropic philanthropy. ;)
:P yes something like that, although I am mostly just picky about who I spend my time with rather than outright misanthropy.
brokenface wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 1:05 pm
I can give you guys a little news scoop that the Oxford vaccine study has been given MHRA approval to resume in UK, which is good news. Got paused last week due to a safety concern with one participant. No confirmation on what it was but suggests they don't think it's related.
:thumbsup:

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » September 14th, 2020, 5:45 pm

Got a message this afternoon about a student of mine. He stayed home a couple of days ago, because he had symptoms. The message said he tested negative so he'd be back in school tomorrow. An hour later I got another message. His mother tested positive, so now he has to stay at home anyway.

Makes me wonder how accurate those tests are. The boy has symptoms, his mother has Covid, but I'm supposed to believe he hasn't got it?
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » September 14th, 2020, 7:12 pm

Yeah, I haven't run across any info about test reliability, however this isn't a bit surprising. Don't know enough about the specifics (related to the test, not necessarily the situation you mention). We've had a couple high profile misleading results that made headlines. But I'm not a bit surprised that people report both false positive and negative results. I'm still inclined to believe this is a pretty 'new' test and as such, time and experience will help it be more robust.

The other thing, almost all tests aren't really yes/no. It's like all that blood work docs do: this is the acceptable range, outside that is a cause for concern. On top of that, different regulating bodies in different countries assign different ranges as acceptable, so it's entirely possible to administer one test but have it be positive in one country and negative in another. We're just not dealing with absolutes here.

Maybe some of our resident scientists can chime in?

But seems to me the better rule is: showing signs of illness? Stay in bed. Yes, it might be a cold, but this year we shouldn't be taking chances.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » September 14th, 2020, 11:03 pm

joachimt wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 5:45 pm
Got a message this afternoon about a student of mine. He stayed home a couple of days ago, because he had symptoms. The message said he tested negative so he'd be back in school tomorrow. An hour later I got another message. His mother tested positive, so now he has to stay at home anyway.

Makes me wonder how accurate those tests are. The boy has symptoms, his mother has Covid, but I'm supposed to believe he hasn't got it?
Oh they're not. But usually they're too sensitive to dead virus, not the other way round.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » September 14th, 2020, 11:21 pm

The problem is that there isn't "a" test - there are quite a few different types using different methodologies. At best, you're comparing apples and oranges between the tests, at worst you're comparing apples and diesel engines.

It all boils down to what's worse - false negatives or false positives. You can virtually eliminate one, but you'll make the other skyrocket.