Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Aug 9th), Romance (Aug 28th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Sibiriada, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2G: Russia vs Portugal (Aug 6th), Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

Covid-19 quarantine zone (Not just a worldwide Flu!)

Got it?

Yeah, I got it and feel HORRIBLE.
No votes
Yes, I got it, but am doing okay.
2%
Yes, I had it but have recovered.
2%
I think I had it, but not sure.
8%
No, still waiting.
72%
No, I know I won't get it. Ever.
11%
What are we talking about? I live under a rock.
5%

Total votes: 61

xianjiro
Donator

Re: Covid-19 or Worldwide Flu

Post by xianjiro » July 15th, 2020, 4:40 am

weirdboy wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 11:29 pm
xianjiro wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 2:07 am
but I'm really leaning towards inside bad, outdoors better - just reading too much about 'superspreading' happening indoors. Has anyone (who doesn't need a tin hat) read about suspected superspreading events happening outside (reported by a reputable newsource)?
Didn"t that happen with some giant beach/pool party somewhere in the US south? It has been just long enough that I cannot remember where it was.
you may be right - but I'm kinda feeling like my brain is pretty full of Covid data - new info in, old info falls out (and conspiracies nuke all storage)

I was trying to remember who was our user in Japan in another discussion (see this post) earlier today, and while I could visualize your avatar, for the life of me I couldn't dredge up your nick.

might also be age-related - I'm sure in someplace like CAR I'm considered a senior citizen by now - no idea when that happens in the US anymore though of course AARP started soliciting me about five years back

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 15th, 2020, 4:44 am

btw, have to get up earlier than usual to get me covid test tomorrow - am so excited I could just :sleeping: - not sure when/if I'll get the results or they'll just call me with cancellation of my 'procedure' on Friday if they don't like the result - not looking forward to having a swap shoved up my nose, but considering the other places medical practitioners have shoved them, it can't be that bad :think:

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 15th, 2020, 9:35 am

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 11:03 pm
It’s gotten to the point where the COVID deniers are actually offended by someone simply offering them a mask. Just another example of some moronic, American mask non-wearers here:

Love it, that's gold
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » July 15th, 2020, 2:05 pm

So here's how things are going around me at the southern border of Wisconsin. My state still has no mandatory mask requirement - and never will, because Republicans control the legislature and Supreme Court by large majorities, and have stripped the Democratic Governor of virtually all power. He puts out an order, they rescind it immediately and threaten to sue him - that's how it's "worked" for every important piece of legislation over the last two years. Counties and cities have some power - so far - and Dane County, the one just to the north of me, did put such a restriction in place last week. We'll see if it lasts. On Sunday I went to our farmer's market for the third time and was pleased to see that virtually everyone was wearing a mask, though one vendor mentioned "damn social distancing shit" to me - I'll have to not buy from him again - and I did see one loud and aggressive young woman who kept pushing ahead of people who wasn't wearing a mask and looked like she wanted to hit everybody who was. She was white of course - at this point, in this area at least, non-whites are all wearing masks; very few of them are getting their messaging from Agent Orange or Fucker Carlson.

But then I took a little drive yesterday - just had to get out - and drove by a bunch of restaurants and bars that I know don't have significant outdoor seating areas, and most of them had lots of cars in the parking lots. Lots of people are going out to eat and drink now, pretty much just as they did in February and before. There's a brewpub across the street from me that I have to admit I've been tempted to go back to - the beer is really good though the food, the one time I ate there, not so much - but it's pretty clear they're not doing things safely either. Wisconsin hasn't been one of the hardest-hit states but I see no reason to believe it won't get much, much worse here as the white Trumpublicans make up a really large chunk of the population everywhere outside of the two largest cities.

Meanwhile the "administration" is changing the rules so that COVID data goes to the WH first:

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/7 ... n=trending

and I think everybody except cipp knows what that means. "Wow, we reduced cases in Florida, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Nevada, Arizona in the 4 months before the election, deaths are way down, just look at the data, vote T****!"

And RBG is sick again.

Not a good day/week/year/century.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » July 15th, 2020, 7:00 pm

Good news in the uk, most shops will not call the police or enforce masks at all and we are not going to have to wear them if we go back to work in an office. In other news I am going to watch silent films on days off, I feel exhausted and not up to it on work days. Open for suggestions for those.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » July 15th, 2020, 7:04 pm

Cippenham wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 7:00 pm
Good news in the uk, most shops will not call the police or enforce masks at all and we are not going to have to wear them if we go back to work in an office.
I heard Hancock on the radio this morning about offices. I calculate by the general timeline for u-turns by this government, that will be reversed in 3-4 weeks.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 15th, 2020, 7:18 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 2:05 pm
On Sunday I went to our farmer's market for the third time and was pleased to see that virtually everyone was wearing a mask, though one vendor mentioned "damn social distancing shit" to me - I'll have to not buy from him again ...

And RBG is sick again.
Thanks for the update, was wondering (as I said) and sorry to hear that at some point WI is likely to become an epicenter. Although, if enough people ARE wearing masks ... Still, the denial is staggering, but as long as some are convinced only conspiracy theories can be true and everything else is a lie or hoax ... Love those headlines that read something like "He called coronavirus a hoax, went to CoV-19 party, and died yesterday."

As for the "damn social distancing shit", have to say it made me think of two contractors I heard chatting in the waiting area outside the various labs at our city hospital this morning. Both (well everyone) were wearing some sort of mask --though I have to admit being around so many possibly sick people made me uncomfortable, was thrilled to leave, and am dreading going back on Friday -- anyway, they said something similar, but it was much more along the lines of being annoyed by it all but willing to do what they needed to. I don't blame people for being annoyed as long as they believe it's real! :thumbsup:

And I'm assuming you're not referring to our RBG but the one who usually works in DC. Is it true someone is remaking that 80s 'masterpiece' and calling in Weekend at Ruthie's?

sol can find me here

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » July 15th, 2020, 7:42 pm

Well we will ignore the government’s rules as regards masks, I have every confidence many will and it will not be enforced except in Derbyshire perhaps or in bizarre circumstances. I am not telling anyone to break the laws, this is a prediction.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » July 15th, 2020, 11:10 pm

New daily record in COVID-19 cases here in New Mexico, 327. Ever since mid-June the numbers have been going up (state partially re-opened June 1, so it's all just like you'd predict) and today we hit a new high. On Monday new stricter measures went into effect, but they're only partial compared to earlier and it'll take 2 weeks for us to tell if they really make a difference. Schools are scheduled to reopen in 5 weeks.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » July 15th, 2020, 11:15 pm

Cippenham wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 7:51 am
The odds here are 1 in 31000 people you meet are likely to have the virus In a shop and if you are under 65 there is little risk anyway with no underlying conditions. That is a pretty small chance. But doing this now makes people think the risk is much higher than it is.
Good for you guys. Here the situation is a little different:

https://covid19risk.biosci.gatech.edu/

An interactive map that shows the odds of someone showing up with COVID-19 in your county, based on the size of the gathering. If you go to a gathering with 5000 you are statistically pretty much guaranteed to have at least one positive case of COVID-19 in the group, no matter which part of the country you're in.
ImageImageImageImage

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » July 15th, 2020, 11:26 pm

Cippenham wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 4:18 am
I work from home for now. I can order everything online to avoid wearing a mask in a shop except medical or hairdresser. But if they reopen my office and impose masks in office I may have to see if I can continue to work from home. If not that would be tough but I would probably have to wear one at that point, hope it doesn’t happen.
What exactly is the problem with wearing a mask? It's a piece of clothing.
Do you wear a shirt? How about underpants?

And please do not give me any of the BS medical arguments because we both know that does not apply to you even if it were factually true.
Last edited by weirdboy on July 15th, 2020, 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 15th, 2020, 11:27 pm

looks like I have a 10% chance that I was exposed in the waiting room today

If only He-That-Wants-All-Schools-Open and loves his large indoor rallies, he'd need to go to a place like Catron Co - even with 5000 people, the chance is less than 1%. Wait. Are the 5000 people in the county? And I can pretty much guarantee they don't have a venue that big. I know Grant Co OR would love him to come, but it's the same exact situation.

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 15th, 2020, 11:35 pm

weirdboy wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 11:26 pm
Cippenham wrote:
I work from home for now. I can order everything online to avoid wearing a mask in a shop except medical or hairdresser. But if they reopen my office and impose masks in office I may have to see if I can continue to work from home. If not that would be tough but I would probably have to wear one at that point, hope it doesn’t happen.

And please do not give me any of the BS medical arguments because we both know that does not apply to you even if it were factually true.
Most places don't fine you for going commando but believe it or not, the girls had a panty check at the high school I attended in South Africa. Talk about killing someone's freedom! :lol: And no, the female staff conducted it. Boggles my mind: did all those years ago (early 80s) as well and I had adults try to convince me that was 'necessary'. I call that invasive. And BTW, boys had to have their hair length checked while the girls suffered their indignity.

Maybe we should round up all the mask-a-phobes and send them to camps. :lol: :sarcasm:

sol can find me here

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » July 16th, 2020, 4:36 am

It’s ridiculous to compare a mask to other clothes. It’s an entirely artificial thing, it makes us like sheep and stops us being human, you cannot see the expression. It’s part of the control instead of allowing freedom. In any case it will not be enforced here on the whole so can be ignored. Of course I will wear on to the hairdressers, like today, that’s different. But many masks even say on the Instructions they are useless but that is perfectly ok to the government as it’s not about safety but control.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 16th, 2020, 5:05 am

wtf are you also offended by umbrellas and hats? Sunglasses? Bike helmets? Long fringes? Like, I get not wanting to wear a mask because they're uncomfortable but this is just crazy talk. Wearing medical equipment or PPE is not about freedom dude.

And how are clothes not an artificial thing? There are certain clothes that are appropriate to wear outside and others that aren't. Men aren't 'allowed' to wear dresses and skirts etc. We blindly follow these arbitrary rules all the time and don't scream about freedom. When I'm at home I don't wear a bra and I only wear pajamas. I hate having to put on a bra and jeans and shoes etc but going outside braless in my pjs wouldn't be an expression of individuality, I'd just look like an idiot and make everyone (including myself) uncomfortable.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » July 16th, 2020, 5:11 am

I hate myself for this, but I'm going to ask.

Why is wearing a mask to the hairdresser different? If wearing a mask makes you a sheep, if it prevents you from being human, if it's not allowing you freedom, if it's useless, then why are you wearing one to get your hair done? How is it different? What is it different from?

There. I do hate myself now.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 16th, 2020, 8:00 am

mightysparks wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 5:05 am
wtf are you also offended by umbrellas and hats? Sunglasses? Bike helmets? Long fringes? Like, I get not wanting to wear a mask because they're uncomfortable but this is just crazy talk. Wearing medical equipment or PPE is not about freedom dude.

And how are clothes not an artificial thing? There are certain clothes that are appropriate to wear outside and others that aren't. Men aren't 'allowed' to wear dresses and skirts etc. We blindly follow these arbitrary rules all the time and don't scream about freedom. When I'm at home I don't wear a bra and I only wear pajamas. I hate having to put on a bra and jeans and shoes etc but going outside braless in my pjs wouldn't be an expression of individuality, I'd just look like an idiot and make everyone (including myself) uncomfortable.
+1^∞ (and beyond) :whistling:

but maybe we just don't know that 'conservatives' are born fully-clothed :hmph: and if they get their way, eventually transvestism will be a felony (probably capital) offense.

sol can find me here

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » July 16th, 2020, 8:09 am

Cippenham wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 4:36 am
It’s ridiculous to compare a mask to other clothes. It’s an entirely artificial thing, it makes us like sheep and stops us being human, you cannot see the expression. It’s part of the control instead of allowing freedom.
They're certainly making sheep of some people, just not the ones wearing them.
But they are indeed artificial, masks don't grow on trees. Clothes on the other hand ...

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 16th, 2020, 11:42 am

weirdboy wrote:
Cippenham wrote:
Cippenham is a free the nipple and free the vag activist, didn't you know?

on a serious note
Discarded coronavirus face masks and gloves rising threat to ocean life, conservationists warn
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/coro ... 69471.html
altho it's just a drop in the ocean i guess and nobody will be left to care in 100 years anyway
Last edited by Armoreska on July 16th, 2020, 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » July 16th, 2020, 11:53 am

Onderhond wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 8:09 am
Cippenham wrote:
It’s ridiculous to compare a mask to other clothes. It’s an entirely artificial thing, it makes us like sheep and stops us being human, you cannot see the expression. It’s part of the control instead of allowing freedom.
They're certainly making sheep of some people, just not the ones wearing them.
But they are indeed artificial, masks don't grow on trees. Clothes on the other hand ...
There are tons of forests in Canada. I've found most of my clothes growing when I go off course in hiking trials. The ones on course are always already taken.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » July 16th, 2020, 12:13 pm

Ridiculous arguments really, but they have admitted this is just a way to encourage the scared to shop, not protection.

I am wearing a mask today as getting a haircut after 4 months.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » July 16th, 2020, 3:26 pm

xianjiro wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 7:18 pm

And I'm assuming you're not referring to our RBG but the one who usually works in DC. Is it true someone is remaking that 80s 'masterpiece' and calling in Weekend at Ruthie's?
Yeah the RBG who may be the difference between an America that can, just maybe can, recover and become something like it was economically, and maybe even better than it was culturally and socially and morally. Someday.

Because I've been saying since before this pandemic started - since the impeachment trial, and maybe before, that Dems don't just need to win the White House. They absolutely have to take back the Senate as well, and we have to not lose one of the four liberal members on SCOTUS before January 20th. We need to draw a straight flush, basically, to have any hope at all as a country and maybe as a planet. I'm a pessimist sure but even some of the more optimistic voices I know are sounding greater and greater alarms now. We have a Pres and a whole political party, and 30-40% of this country, who just don't give a flying fuck about anything except their own personal short-term well-being and cannot be bothered to think or reason about anything at all other than MY MONEY MY GUNS MY WOMAN MY RACE ME ME ME.

But even if that hand does get dealt, Agent Orange is going to pull out his Jack-high hand of garbage and say "You cheated!" So we have to win by as much as possible such that the other Reps in power just might not go along with his insanity anymore - might feel like he's no longer the hill they're going to die on. It's not happening so far though and I'm afraid they're already starting to ramp up the lying about COVID and the economy in particular so that the election will be much closer than it should be. Because we've raised a country full of morons. Idiocracy is now.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » July 16th, 2020, 3:49 pm

Cippenham wrote:
It’s ridiculous to compare a mask to other clothes. It’s an entirely artificial thing, it makes us like sheep and stops us being human, you cannot see the expression. It’s part of the control instead of allowing freedom. In any case it will not be enforced here on the whole so can be ignored. Of course I will wear on to the hairdressers, like today, that’s different. But many masks even say on the Instructions they are useless but that is perfectly ok to the government as it’s not about safety but control.
A mask is no worse than a scarf during winter with respect to stopping us from "being human" (of all the ridiculous arguments I've ever heard...!). On the bright side, it makes the Metropolitan Police's use of facial recognition extremely ineffective. You'd think "they" would want to be able to identify people with their shiny new equipment and technology, so masks would be banned, not required. But no, masks are "part of the control" while facial recognition technology is "allowing freedom". War is Peace, Slavery is Freedom, Ignorance is Strength.
ImageImageImageImage

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » July 16th, 2020, 3:55 pm

blocho wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 5:11 am
I hate myself for this, but I'm going to ask.

Why is wearing a mask to the hairdresser different? If wearing a mask makes you a sheep, if it prevents you from being human, if it's not allowing you freedom, if it's useless, then why are you wearing one to get your hair done? How is it different? What is it different from?

There. I do hate myself now.
He's not actually going to a hairdresser, but a sheep shearer, so he needs the disguise to blend in. Otherwise they might realize they have a human in their midst.

British sheep, early 20th Century:
SpoilerShow
ImageImageImageImage

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » July 16th, 2020, 4:05 pm

This kind of stupidity and sheer pigheadness has been going on my whole life but still, it's amazing what we've come to. Since we're talking sheep...

Liberal sheep: listen to epidemiologist like Dr. Fauci when it comes to medicine; listen to minorities like Rep. John Lewis with his decades of experience fighting discrimination when it comes to civil rights; listen to decorated veterans like Senator Tammy Duckworth when it comes to veterans' affairs, etc.

Conservative sheep: listen to rich, privileged, ignorant assholes like Trump, Bolsonaro or Johnson when it comes to absolutely everything. Because white privelege.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » July 16th, 2020, 6:05 pm

Will you guys please stop saying bad things about these cute, fluffy animals? :'(
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » July 16th, 2020, 6:05 pm

Lammetje wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 6:05 pm
Will you guys please stop saying bad things about these cute, fluffy animals? :'(
We could switch to "lemmings". Any problem with lemmings?

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » July 16th, 2020, 7:09 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
Lammetje wrote:
Well okay then.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 16th, 2020, 7:54 pm

Armoreska wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 11:42 am
weirdboy wrote:
Cippenham wrote:
Cippenham is a free the nipple and free the vag activist, didn't you know?

on a serious note
Discarded coronavirus face masks and gloves rising threat to ocean life, conservationists warn
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/coro ... 69471.html
altho it's just a drop in the ocean i guess and nobody will be left to care in 100 years anyway
well, not just the ocean - I live a couple blocks from a small, community hospital with other medical facilities in the surround blocks and people are dropping their disposable masks around the neighborhood. While I'm suspicious most are accidental - like when an extra doggy clean up bag sneaks out of my pocket - I'm not interested in picking up someone else's used face mask at this point. :pinch:

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 16th, 2020, 7:58 pm

Knaldskalle wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 3:49 pm
Cippenham wrote:
A mask is no worse than a scarf during winter with respect to stopping us from "being human" (of all the ridiculous arguments I've ever heard...!). On the bright side, it makes the Metropolitan Police's use of facial recognition extremely ineffective. You'd think "they" would want to be able to identify people with their shiny new equipment and technology, so masks would be banned, not required. But no, masks are "part of the control" while facial recognition technology is "allowing freedom". War is Peace, Slavery is Freedom, Ignorance is Strength.
thanks for explaining why the right is so anti-mask :thumbsup:

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 16th, 2020, 8:03 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
Lammetje wrote:
probably better since between sharing micro-organisms and toasting the planet we seem committed to self-annihilation as a species

thank the goddesses that it appears we might have controlled our urge to over-populate ourselves to death

yeah, lemmings (but how to work that so it sounds as cool as 'sheeple')

sol can find me here

sebby

Post by sebby » July 17th, 2020, 12:28 am

Cipp, next time you have an operation you better fucking request, nay, demand that your nurses and doctors exercise their freedom and not wear a mask. As you have already proven, they are not only ineffective but DANGEROUS. I ask this as I only care for your well being.

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » July 17th, 2020, 12:59 am

I visited my school today. In case you guys don't know, I'm a middle school science teacher. They are still busy deep cleaning on a level they haven't done before. They called in some science teachers to help de-clutter and clean out the storage rooms (something which rarely gets done because we like to keep a lot of odd-ball things for demonstrations/experiments, etc.).

The previous day a county decision was made to push back the starting day for students to 8/17 (a week later). The apparent plan right now is to give the students 3 options: They can opt for online education, they can opt for a hybrid schedule of 2 days school/3 online, or go to school fully 5 days a week. From what I understand, an earlier at-large survey (in June) showed that most parents wanted to re-open schools on time. Parents are to let the schools know by July 22. From what my assistant principal told me, most parents want to physically send their kids to school.

They are modifying the school as much as possible (not much is possible, really) and face masks & shields will be mandatory. If there are any positive cases, this is the official guideline:
Q. What happens if a case of COVID-19 is confirmed at a school?
A. If a school has a confirmed case of COVID-19, the Florida Department of Health in Manatee County will be contacted. Parents and employees of the school will also be informed, although specific information pertaining to the confirmed case cannot be released due to HIPPA, FERPA and ADA laws. Any students or staff members exposed to a confirmed case will be notified and will be subject to 14-day isolation from date of the last known exposure. Exposure occurs when a positive case was in direct contact with a staff member or student for at least 15 minutes (within teaching and learning environments). Once a case is confirmed, a portion or portions of the school, or the entire school will be closed for cleaning and disinfecting for 2-5 days depending on the exposure and the parts of the school affected. Actions will be taken on an individual basis based on the circumstances at each school. An outbreak of multiple positive cases in a school may close the entire school.
Teachers are still expected to to show up for pre-year prep on Aug 3rd. Apparently this will include a lot of prep for a more standardized online education. The ending of the previous year was a little chaotic as every teacher generated their own approach.

Right now I know of at least two of my co-workers who are older and near retirement who are strongly considering just retiring early. Also worth noting that the local hospitals are pretty much at peak capacity. Plus out of the 54,000 kids that have been tested across Florida, 31% have tested positive for Covid-19. Most are asymptomatic.

I'm waiting to hear back from my union, but right now out of all the federal, state, county, local leadership, it's up to us teacher to take a stand and say "fuck no". There's no reason for us to risk our lives when 1) we aren't mandating that citizens do anything to prevent the spread of the virus (there are no local mask ordinances) and 2) we could and should be doing on-line only because that would save lives.

I'm incensed that I'm thought of as expendable. Teachers (and custodians, aides, administration, coaches, food workers, etc.) are going to get sick and die. We are not acceptable losses.

Trump, Devos, and DeSantis can go fuck themselves. :angry:
Owner of three platinums:
  • FilmTotaal top 100
  • IMDb's 1980s Top 50
  • IMDb's Animation Top 50

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » July 17th, 2020, 1:01 am

I also ran across this. It's a read, but it really hits home as far as the truth of how terrible the US is.

• FilmTotaal top 100
  • IMDb's 1980s Top 50

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 17th, 2020, 1:38 am

@Kublai Khan: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Please let us know what happens - we'll be thinking about you. Wish I could say something like hopefully they will wake up but that seems doubtful.

It's all just too insane for words

Oh, and one thing I'd add on on that second (shared) post: they are only pro-life until the kid has been born - then it's survival of the fittest.

sol can find me here

burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan » July 17th, 2020, 2:06 am

School is a little different in my district (I'm in central Massachusetts). The district has been told to devise plans for three scenarios like Kublai Khan names (all in-person with masks and social distancing, all-remote, or hybrid), but only one of those plans will be chosen to go into effect, not all three. Among other types of planning, our school district superintendent is surveying parents to find out how they feel. Everyone I know with kids is voting a hard "no" on returning kids to school, principally because of the danger to teachers and staff (plus all the parents and relatives of the schoolchildren!).

Both of our kids do well academically when they work remotely (largely thanks to our school's organized approach to remote learning -- we are very lucky), but our six-year-old has challenges that really need social and behavioral interactions at school to help him succeed. (He can read and do math very well, but he needs more help and practice than "the average kid" with things like participating in group activities, sitting still at appropriate times, and some other social/behavioral tasks.) Unlike academic subjects, there's only so much that he can do to work on those particular skills at home, outside of a school or non-family group environment, but even with that situation, there is still no way we want our kids to go back to school if it puts teachers and staff at risk. I know there is strong financial pressure to have kids somewhere several days a week so parents can work, but it is beyond me why anyone would think an okay solution would be to push teachers and school staff into the crosshairs.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » July 17th, 2020, 2:46 am

It's gonna be a school year for the ages. I'm so glad I got out of teaching. Best of luck to all the teachers here.

The sad truth is that Florida or any other state could manage a relatively safe school year if everyone (EVERYONE) committed to a real monthlong shutdown right now. I'm talking about stocking up your freezer and committing to not being close to a human outside your own home unless it's an emergency. It'll be a difficult month, but not nearly as difficult as living in a society where hundreds die each day and nothing normal can happen for another year.

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » July 17th, 2020, 3:15 am

blocho wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 2:46 am
It's gonna be a school year for the ages. I'm so glad I got out of teaching. Best of luck to all the teachers here.

The sad truth is that Florida or any other state could manage a relatively safe school year if everyone (EVERYONE) committed to a real monthlong shutdown right now. I'm talking about stocking up your freezer and committing to not being close to a human outside your own home unless it's an emergency. It'll be a difficult month, but not nearly as difficult as living in a society where hundreds die each day and nothing normal can happen for another year.
Absolutely yes.

People who keep bringing up how ineffective the face masks are fail to realize that face masks are the compromise for not being completely locked down.
  • FilmTotaal top 100
  • IMDb's 1980s Top 50

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » July 17th, 2020, 4:52 am

I never had any operation yet but went to the barber and despite offering to wear a mask they preferred I didn’t and they wore visors much more pleasant than masks then I went to restaurant, not many there but they wore mix of masks and visors and had outside seating too. They were all Turkish but had excellent English menu. Nice.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » July 17th, 2020, 4:59 am

Kublai is right. But they are not going to enforce masks in the Uk in shops despite the government. The NHS is a disgrace, letting down many people with serious illness other than Covid whose conditions have been neglected. For now I have private medical care so don’t rely on the NHS fortunately.