Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Aug 9th), Romance (Aug 28th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Sibiriada, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2G: Russia vs Portugal (Aug 6th), Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

Covid-19 quarantine zone (Not just a worldwide Flu!)

Got it?

Yeah, I got it and feel HORRIBLE.
No votes
Yes, I got it, but am doing okay.
2%
Yes, I had it but have recovered.
2%
I think I had it, but not sure.
8%
No, still waiting.
72%
No, I know I won't get it. Ever.
11%
What are we talking about? I live under a rock.
5%

Total votes: 61

Cippenham
Donator

Re: Covid-19 or Worldwide Flu

Post by Cippenham » July 11th, 2020, 5:17 am

China went round the world buying up PPE and this rigged the market resulting in higher prices

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » July 11th, 2020, 5:47 am

Cippenham wrote:
July 10th, 2020, 5:07 pm
wear a muzzle
:pinch: :facepalm:

You're almost as bad as Americans.
Owner of three platinums:
  • FilmTotaal top 100
  • IMDb's 1980s Top 50
  • IMDb's Animation Top 50

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » July 11th, 2020, 8:21 am

Kublai Khan wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 5:47 am
Cippenham wrote:
July 10th, 2020, 5:07 pm
wear a muzzle
:pinch: :facepalm:

You're almost as bad as Americans.
does Cipp get to be an honorary "Florida man"

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » July 11th, 2020, 9:00 am

OldAle1 wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 2:02 am
I noticed you didn't reply to my latest posts in this thread. I want to make clear that I didn't mean any disrespect, and that I'm with you on every wonderfully cynical thing you said about Agent Orange and Murica so far. :cheers:
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 11th, 2020, 9:06 am

What's that I smell? Could it be the scent of bromance du jour?

:wub: :wub: :wub:

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » July 11th, 2020, 12:53 pm

Lammetje wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 9:00 am
OldAle1 wrote:
I noticed you didn't reply to my latest posts in this thread. I want to make clear that I didn't mean any disrespect, and that I'm with you on every wonderfully cynical thing you said about Agent Orange and Murica so far. :cheers:
No worries. I'm just so depressed over this that it's hard for me not to get into a full-blown rant about it, and does anybody want that? I already had my rant of the week about something far less significant here, perhaps I'm just too on edge in too many areas in life right now. I've also had too many flashbacks recently to dealing with trolls on previous forums (mostly IMDb and Amazon) and seeing the continued presence of even one virulent white supremacist/science denier/idiot here makes me more and more tempted to stop talking anything non-movie and arts related at all. I guess I should just try to stick to objectively reporting on what's going on in my area, if I post anymore in this thread at all.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » July 11th, 2020, 2:29 pm

xianjiro wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 9:06 am
What's that I smell? Could it be the scent of bromance du jour?

:wub: :wub: :wub:
tehe
OldAle1 wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 12:53 pm
Lammetje wrote:
OldAle1 wrote:
No worries. I'm just so depressed over this that it's hard for me not to get into a full-blown rant about it, and does anybody want that? I already had my rant of the week about something far less significant here, perhaps I'm just too on edge in too many areas in life right now. I've also had too many flashbacks recently to dealing with trolls on previous forums (mostly IMDb and Amazon) and seeing the continued presence of even one virulent white supremacist/science denier/idiot here makes me more and more tempted to stop talking anything non-movie and arts related at all. I guess I should just try to stick to objectively reporting on what's going on in my area, if I post anymore in this thread at all.
Personally I really enjoy the cynical gems you leave here and I don't think every post in this thread ought to be objective.

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 11th, 2020, 6:51 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 12:53 pm
Lammetje wrote:
OldAle1 wrote:
I for one also want to say "no worries" to you. Though I know it can be hard to control an impulse to slip into full rant mode, it's always been my hope that by sharing our insights, concerns, and delightful suggestions we might help each other get through this miss.

It's really sad - and you're not the first forumite to mention it to me - that people are now avoiding this thread because of one troll-y poster, but I'm with the crowd who starts avoiding threads now because of those posts. Wish there was something we could do to improve the situation, but like the proverbial basket of apples, it's seems it only takes one bad one ...

I do hope you join the discussion on the Mask thread as I'm curious what the situation is now there by you.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » July 11th, 2020, 6:55 pm

If one poster is triggering or even just annoying you, then the ignore button is the obvious solution. Of course you're going to be tempted to click 'view post' anyway sometimes (I know I am), but it really helps.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » July 11th, 2020, 7:08 pm

Cippenham wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 5:17 am
China went round the world buying up PPE and this rigged the market resulting in higher prices
1. Cornering the market is accepted practice (happened to the global cocoa market a few years ago). Sucks, but that's how markets with finite supply work. It's not a 'bug' in the system it is the system.

2. Have you considered that perhaps, just perhaps, China needed those things? I seem to remember the whole thing starting in that part of the world and them getting overwhelmed in late 2019, but that could just be my memory playing tricks on me.

3. You have yet to provide anything resembling an explanation, let alone evidence, for how buying up large parts of the world's supply of PPE somehow results in a "rigged" market rather than the entirely predictable price increase due to higher demand. Or are you only in favor of free markets when it results in lower prices?
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » July 11th, 2020, 7:35 pm

It's aestivation season here - 2d straight week of 90 F+ humuggity, my knees don't function when the dew point is much over 60. Getting very little exercise - pacing the house just doesn't cut it, and yeah I do have other exercises too but I'll be glad when our trainer returns from vac next week.
Covid wise we're doing OK. I'm cynical enough to take a fairly detached view of the whole sorry circus. Glad our governor has some sense, though.
What's most infuriating (and not at all surprising) is how all that money congress votes goes into the pockets of the Blob and his cronies.

On the sort of good (or at any rate interesting) news front: Turns out that a substance in horseshoe crab blood is essential to at least one of the vaccines being developed. My husband did quite a lot of work on horseshoe crab blood in the 70s (cue long and adventurous tale of flying with 6 live horseshoe crabs to Norway). Anyway, his back-then colleague is involved in working on this vaccine. Thing is, there are other medical uses for horseshoe crab blood (e.g. against septic shock) and for that and other reasons the crab population is rapidly diminishing.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » July 11th, 2020, 8:09 pm

3eyes wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 7:35 pm
On the sort of good (or at any rate interesting) news front: Turns out that a substance in horseshoe crab blood is essential to at least one of the vaccines being developed. My husband did quite a lot of work on horseshoe crab blood in the 70s (cue long and adventurous tale of flying with 6 live horseshoe crabs to Norway). Anyway, his back-then colleague is involved in working on this vaccine. Thing is, there are other medical uses for horseshoe crab blood (e.g. against septic shock) and for that and other reasons the crab population is rapidly diminishing.
Horseshoe crabs are cool. We visited a dinosaur museum in Wyoming and they had an excavated piece of waterbed that has a horseshoe crab track on it, about 12 feet or so. The horseshoe crab remains were found at the end of that track. The speculation is that it fell into a pool of toxic water. It looked, to my eyes, identical to what we find today, despite being many millions of years old.

My wife flew with live African clawed frogs to Denmark. That was pre-9/11, though, so probably not possible today.

Temps here in NM are currently 104F (40C), scheduled to hit 107F (41.7C) later and humidity is 9%. That's not a typo, nine percent.
ImageImageImageImage

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 11th, 2020, 11:03 pm

I can see the headline now: Living Fossil Cures Covid

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 13th, 2020, 2:07 am

About protests and spread of coronavirus, some surprising findings

decided to cross post since not sure if everyone is looking at the riot thread

anyway, as implied by the headline, the article discusses a recent study of Covid spread, especially at protests, but can't say there is a smoking gun or silver bullet or anything

but I'm really leaning towards inside bad, outdoors better - just reading too much about 'superspreading' happening indoors. Has anyone (who doesn't need a tin hat) read about suspected superspreading events happening outside (reported by a reputable newsource)?

I kind of wish someone had tracked the attendees of the Tulsa rally to see if anything happened there

sol can find me here

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » July 13th, 2020, 5:19 am

In Uk many went to beaches marches etc some time ago but no spike so its mainly caught indoors idea is based on that

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » July 14th, 2020, 6:42 am

Due to politics not scientific reasoning masks will be compulsory in shops in England from July 24. I absolutely will buy everything online from then as I hope will many others. I am ok to wear it for hairdressers or medical visits. It’s as if the government wants to destroy the high street. Buy shares in well known IT and internet delivery companies. About one person in 31000 going to shops could have the virus taking into account those with symptoms would usually stay home so this is for political reasons. It’s all about persuading those still afraid to go out to go to the shops. But surely it will only make them think the virus is still out there In a big way if we need to do this.
Last edited by Cippenham on July 14th, 2020, 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » July 14th, 2020, 7:20 am

Why is it so hard to just wear the damn mask? Even if you think it does nothing, how is it any meaningful imposition to wear one. I don't think the ones I got are particularly good, they have no seal, but it takes no effort to wear it so even if it only drops the chance of getting sick by a small percentage it's still worthwhile.

I wasn't one of the people who got particularly worried or emotionally affected in general in April/May because it seemed like at least we were taking it seriously as a society, but for this this past month and half where everyone(not actually everyone, not even a majority, but they're the only people who go out so they're the ones we see) seems to be acting as if it's over and somehow misinformation and idiotic dismissiveness have increased instead of decreased I've become increasingly frustrated and concerned. I feel less safe going out now than in April because back then people kept their distance and stores restricted how many people went in and had meaningful procedures. Now it's entirely up to me to keep myself safe because I can't trust that the other people walking around aren't careless idiots.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » July 14th, 2020, 7:32 am

I will say this about wearing masks in movie theaters though (which is required now in Belgium) ... when you breathe out, a bit or air escapes through the top. You're effectively soft-blowing your own eyes the entire time, which makes you fall asleep in no time :D

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » July 14th, 2020, 7:37 am

But now is not the time to impose this rule, surely they should have done it earlier if they believed it was useful but they didn’t.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » July 14th, 2020, 7:41 am

Cippenham wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 7:37 am
But now is not the time to impose this rule, surely they should have done it earlier if they believed it was useful but they didn’t.
Yes, they should have. I'll agree with that.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » July 14th, 2020, 7:51 am

The odds here are 1 in 31000 people you meet are likely to have the virus In a shop and if you are under 65 there is little risk anyway with no underlying conditions. That is a pretty small chance. But doing this now makes people think the risk is much higher than it is.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 14th, 2020, 7:52 am

woulda, coulda, shoulda - all hindsight, but what matters is what we do now and in the coming weeks

The Great Experiment only gets more interesting: Florida, Texas, California have similar issues but are taking different approaches. What the situation looks like in each state in a month's time will be quite instructive.

sol can find me here

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » July 14th, 2020, 8:10 am

Risk of death of death may be pretty small, but risk of hospitalization and lifelong issues is higher. Anyway I'm not personally worried about myself, I'm worried about my parents and about how this reflects just how fucked up our society is.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 14th, 2020, 8:39 am

This is interesting - Detroit opened voluntary summer school on Monday with SD, masks, health checks so we should have a sense of what might work by mid-August. Problem is, most districts will need to have their ducks in a row long before then. Glad to hear many districts are planning on giving families options ranging from full in-school to full distance learning. If granny lives with the kids and grandkids, it's probably better to keep kids at home a while longer, especially if granny is really aged and has co-morbidities.

The one thing that sticks in my mind is our first case (in Oregon) was an elementary school janitor. While no one imagines he got sick at the school and I don't believe he infected anyone else at work (that we know of), other members of his family got sick and he spent over two months in hospital. I believe his wife was also in hospital for weeks if my memory serves. Can't say why he was in that long: he's a member of an ethnic minority and around 60 as I remember so there's that and the fact that he was effectively the local guinea pig - maybe mistakes were made and medical providers know better now. No personal information about his health has been made public.

But if one even subscribes to the hypothesis that kids have a very low risk and millennials aren't in much worse shape than the little ones, anecdotal evidence is concerning - asymptomatic millennials with lung damage isn't a good thing, especially if this becomes a life-long co-morbidity for them. Think about if another virus or bacteria comes along that puts these folk at risk. There is still much we don't know.

Anyway, the problem with schools remains much as we've been saying for weeks: the inmates don't run orphanage. How are we going to keep schools open if all the ancillary staff and teachers are getting ill or dealing with sick family of their own? And one thing that hasn't been talked about that much is how poorly funded American schools are for the most part. Okay, that's debatable on different levels, but the issues are class sizes. How do you SD a school of 500 kids when average class size is 30 students? Only thing I can come up with are what is being suggested: optional distance learning for families that want to go that route and many parents/kids do okay with homeschooling so it's not like it has to be a stupidity sentence, we just need to help parents and kids be successful. And for those committed to having their kids in classrooms, if numbers are high, well, some sort of rationing plan will have to be implemented.

sol can find me here

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » July 14th, 2020, 9:27 am

Cippenham wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 7:51 am
The odds here are 1 in 31000 people you meet are likely to have the virus In a shop and if you are under 65 there is little risk anyway with no underlying conditions. That is a pretty small chance. But doing this now makes people think the risk is much higher than it is.
Those odds can vary wildly, day by day, place by place. Just look at Florida, happily reopening everywhere and doing victory laps in May, now with the worst infection rates in the world. And yes, death rates haven't gone up as much there, yet, but they are edging up, and likely will continue to do so in the next few weeks.

Wearing mask in shops & public transport is really not a big thing. It's not the answer, but it's a small step we can take to help reduce risk overall, same as physical distancing, handwashing, etc.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » July 14th, 2020, 9:47 am

If they were serious they would have done it and would specify what type of mask to use. As we know many are worse than useless so this is just to get the scared to go to shops. It will be a test if we are actually sheep, and do as we are told or will many ignore it.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » July 14th, 2020, 1:09 pm

Whenever I heard the right talk about liberty I didn't know it includes the freedom to harm and kill other people.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » July 14th, 2020, 1:26 pm

Pretentious Hipster wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 1:09 pm
Whenever I heard the right talk about liberty I didn't know it includes the freedom to harm and kill other people.
Of course it does. The right (in America) at this point is basically 50% Ayn Rand (minus the atheism) and 50% Old Testament. Not a lot of peace and love and caring about other people - unless those other people are exactly like you - there. "Liberty" and "rights" when mentioned by Repbublicans mean, almost exclusively:

property rights
religious "liberty" which really means the rights of Evangelicals to determine public morality
gun rights

The right to be ignorant about science, education, and really anything at all that you want to know nothing about is of course a given.

And I wish it was just on the right. As I've mentioned before, my brother - as left-wing as anybody I know in many respects - isn't much of a believer in science either. Our whole nation was founded on racism and deliberate ignorance and it's finally biting us back in a really big, big way. I have no doubt at all anymore that we have given up our status as the world's great power, in every significant meaning of that word.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 14th, 2020, 4:04 pm

lol
Coronavirus conspiracy theorist DIES of virus ‘after attending COVID party to catch it and prove it is a hoax’
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12096434/ ... rus-party/
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » July 14th, 2020, 4:17 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 1:26 pm
Of course it does. The right (in America) at this point is basically 50% Ayn Rand (minus the atheism) and 50% Old Testament.
Ayn Rand was also pro-choice, we don't talk about that either.
ImageImageImageImage

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » July 14th, 2020, 4:24 pm

Knaldskalle wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 4:17 pm
OldAle1 wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 1:26 pm
Of course it does. The right (in America) at this point is basically 50% Ayn Rand (minus the atheism) and 50% Old Testament.
Ayn Rand was also pro-choice, we don't talk about that either.
True. Maybe just calling them the Party of Cognitive Dissonance is the simplest thing.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 14th, 2020, 5:09 pm

Why not? Getting killed is a natural right!
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 14th, 2020, 7:22 pm

yeah, gawd-damm whoever took away my right to spit on others and take whatever sexual favors I believe I'm entitled to (incel much?) - and of course, they might realize that I did them a favor (antibodies sooner) or they enjoyed it

Surely I will be thankful when some mask-free asshole coughs on me at the grocery store and I end up in the ICU :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Last edited by xianjiro on July 14th, 2020, 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 14th, 2020, 7:40 pm

My Covid-19 symptoms have lasted more than 100 days, and I’m not alone. Will they ever end?
Yochai Re’em is a physician and third-year psychiatry resident at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, Weill Cornell Medicine.
so thankful covid isn't an issue for 'younger' people

sol can find me here

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » July 14th, 2020, 11:03 pm

It’s gotten to the point where the COVID deniers are actually offended by someone simply offering them a mask. Just another example of some moronic, American mask non-wearers here:

Last edited by GruesomeTwosome on July 15th, 2020, 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » July 14th, 2020, 11:23 pm

Cippenham wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 5:17 am
Prices are fine here in Japan and PPE are easily available in stores.

Maybe they decided to target the UK specifically. Yeah, that's the ticket.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » July 14th, 2020, 11:29 pm

xianjiro wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 2:07 am
but I'm really leaning towards inside bad, outdoors better - just reading too much about 'superspreading' happening indoors. Has anyone (who doesn't need a tin hat) read about suspected superspreading events happening outside (reported by a reputable newsource)?
Didn"t that happen with some giant beach/pool party somewhere in the US south? It has been just long enough that I cannot remember where it was.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » July 15th, 2020, 12:16 am

weirdboy wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 11:29 pm
xianjiro wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 2:07 am
Didn"t that happen with some giant beach/pool party somewhere in the US south? It has been just long enough that I cannot remember where it was.
Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri. Though I wouldn’t be surprised if there were other similar incidents elsewhere in the U.S. - a LOT of dumbasses here.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » July 15th, 2020, 4:18 am

I work from home for now. I can order everything online to avoid wearing a mask in a shop except medical or hairdresser. But if they reopen my office and impose masks in office I may have to see if I can continue to work from home. If not that would be tough but I would probably have to wear one at that point, hope it doesn’t happen.