Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 8 released June 27th)
Polls: 2010s (Results), 1974 (Results), 2019 awards (Jul 11th)
Challenges: Canada, Low Rated, Director
Film of the Week: Vinyan, August nominations (Jul 31st)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2E: Georgia vs Ukraine (Jul 16th)

Covid-19 or Worldwide Flu

Got it?

Yeah, I got it and feel HORRIBLE.
No votes
Yes, I got it, but am doing okay.
2%
Yes, I had it but have recovered.
2%
I think I had it, but not sure.
10%
No, still waiting.
68%
No, I know I won't get it. Ever.
14%
What are we talking about? I live under a rock.
5%

Total votes: 59

mightysparks
Site Admin

Re: Covid-19 or Worldwide Flu

Post by mightysparks » June 22nd, 2020, 8:07 am

And in other news, WA opened up stadiums to allow 30,000 people at once... Still keeping our borders shut though.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » June 22nd, 2020, 11:29 am

We booked a holiday at one of the Dutch islands in August. Unfortunately the boats are fully booked already, since there is a limited amount of places available. So we can't get onto the island at that day. So now we have to change our reservation to another week or another place. :(
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » June 22nd, 2020, 11:54 am

The Waddeneilanden, or one of the fancy ones (like Aruba)? I hope the first one, otherwise that's going to be a long boat ride :D

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » June 22nd, 2020, 2:35 pm

Onderhond wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 11:54 am
The Waddeneilanden, or one of the fancy ones (like Aruba)? I hope the first one, otherwise that's going to be a long boat ride :D
Haha, not Aruba. We specifically decided to stay in The Netherlands this summer because of everything. So one of the Waddeneilanden indeed: Terschelling. Well, change of plans, I guess.
ICM-profile

sebby

Post by sebby » June 23rd, 2020, 1:15 am

https://www.cleveland.com/coronavirus/2 ... -sick.html

Dangit those blasted scientists were right again! How can this be!! I've been reading all of Cipp's totally sensible arguments so this is just impossible. Fucking liberals are up to something. Time to get our guns and check the pizza parlors again, I guess.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » June 23rd, 2020, 8:13 pm

The only ones seriously at risk are the old and the vulnerable

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » June 24th, 2020, 1:06 am

They are reopening pubs but not swimming pools here. Why are pubs safer than virus killing chlorinated water?

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » June 24th, 2020, 1:09 am

I am not saying masks are useless, I was saying the lockdown was more harmful than useful. But masks have not really been promoted here much except recently on public transport. I am saying scientists were divided on the issue of masks. Also someone saw a lady on the bus who pulled down her mask to sneeze and then put it back on.

pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda » June 24th, 2020, 7:55 am

Cippenham wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 1:06 am
They are reopening pubs but not swimming pools here. Why are pubs safer than virus killing chlorinated water?
It's the changing rooms that are not safe

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » June 25th, 2020, 4:01 pm

I see pitch, I think they can and will fix that soon

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » June 25th, 2020, 4:02 pm

A new magazine called The Critic has an excellent summary of where we are so far

https://thecritic.co.uk/issues/july-aug ... -evidence/

Basically the government ignored science, made terrible errors with regards to the lockdown and with care homes

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » June 25th, 2020, 4:42 pm

Just got an email from my uncle who lives in N. Wisconsin, confirming that he's cancelling the end-of-July family reunion which he has held every year but one (I think) since 1979. I haven't always gone but I was hoping to make it this year, and hoping my brother would come home for it; obviously it's been a long shot since the pandemic started, and I didn't really expect it to happen, but it's still depressing. This uncle is 89 and while he and most of his brothers and sisters (83-91) are still in very good health, at lest relative to their demographic, who knows what will happen in the next year? Three of the spouses of his siblings died last fall including my mom, so I wouldn't place bets on all of us being around in a year.

He did mention the reason for the cancelling, spelling out in great detail why it would be stupid to do it, and how things seem to be actually getting worse in this country. He's always been seen as the smartest member of the family (though is older sister might be in the running) so I'd like to believe that some of the Trumpistas will pay attention to him but I have my doubts - none of them have followed him in outright rejecting the Republican Party after all. But then he lived in both Europe and Asia for over 25 years and actually knows that the US isn't the world, something I'm afraid a too-large percentage of American simply can't even begin to comprehend.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » June 25th, 2020, 10:24 pm

So my local beaches being packed is A major incident but thousands of protesters, that’s perfectly fine, neither of which led or will lead to any spike.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » June 25th, 2020, 10:34 pm

I have found several serious detailed studies proving beyond reasonable doubt the Uk lockdown was not necessary and ineffective. Is anyone interested?

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » June 25th, 2020, 10:41 pm

No. Stop spamming.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » June 25th, 2020, 10:51 pm

Trump administration sent over a billion dollar payments to dead people , I am afraid they are beyond stimulating, unless they were zombies

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ead-people

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » June 25th, 2020, 10:51 pm

It’s not spamming, these are serious detailed statistical analysis.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 25th, 2020, 11:51 pm

I don’t even know how someone can think lockdown hasn’t worked. In WA things are almost back to normal because we shut things down fast and are keeping our borders closed. No-one talks about it anymore, I don’t see anyone taking precautions anymore, there’s no one policing the few precautions left in stores and restaurants... it’s all but forgotten about. I am really surprised how serious things still are in some countries based on posts on this thread: presumably because they didn’t shut things down as fast or effectively. Just because they didn’t do it well doesn’t mean it hasn’t helped. I assume we lucked out here because WA cities are so spread out and only along the coast and places that are more cramped and populated will have a harder time keeping things contained.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » June 25th, 2020, 11:55 pm

mightysparks wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 11:51 pm
I don’t even know how someone can think lockdown hasn’t worked. In WA things are almost back to normal because we shut things down fast and are keeping our borders closed. No-one talks about it anymore, I don’t see anyone taking precautions anymore, there’s no one policing precautions in stores and restaurants... it’s all but forgotten about. I am really surprised how serious things still are in some countries based on posts on this thread: presumably because they didn’t shut things down as fast or effectively. Just because they didn’t do it well doesn’t mean it hasn’t helped. I assume we lucked out here because WA cities are so spread out and only along the coast and places that are more cramped and populated will have a harder time keeping things contained.
Well, the leader of our country doesn't take it seriously, and somewhere between 30-40% of our citizens believe he is the Second Coming, and that he knows more about science than the scientists, that he never lies, and that anybody saying otherwise is a liberal/ANTIFA/commie/feminazi/atheist/homo etc etc. If your whole identity as a person is invested in believing what you want to believe in rather than weighing the various competing "truths" out there in a rational and thoughtful manner, it's pretty easy to literally not believe your own eyes.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 26th, 2020, 12:27 am

Yeah I know my crazy conspiracy nan is like that and it’s tough to just be polite and not get dragged down her rabbit hole of craziness. She’s always like ‘I’m smart, I don’t believe things because I’m told to, I make my own decisions’ which would be fine if she wasn’t just believing things to be quirky. She told me she saw a ‘white lives matter. Repost if your brave’ post and so she just HAD to repost it.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » June 26th, 2020, 5:42 am

Well the peak was already reached before the lockdown, washing hands and other measures were working. This demonstrates below the uk lockdown to be ineffective and superfluous.

https://advance.sagepub.com/articles/Co ... 12479987/1

This shows what went wrong
https://www.academia.edu/42829792/What_ ... _Full_Stop

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » June 26th, 2020, 4:23 pm

mightysparks wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 12:27 am
Yeah I know my crazy conspiracy nan is like that and it’s tough to just be polite and not get dragged down her rabbit hole of craziness. She’s always like ‘I’m smart, I don’t believe things because I’m told to, I make my own decisions’ which would be fine if she wasn’t just believing things to be quirky. She told me she saw a ‘white lives matter. Repost if your brave’ post and so she just HAD to repost it.
Yeah, just imagine your nan as your country's leader, and that 1/3 at least of the people will automatically believe every single thing she says, even when she contradicts herself or their own lived experience, and you have America today. How do you recover from something like this? I don't think you do.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » June 27th, 2020, 10:58 am

USA#1! :party:
SpoilerShow
Seriously though, this is looking really bad. :(
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » June 27th, 2020, 1:19 pm

Just stop testing and the numbers will drop.
ICM-profile

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » June 27th, 2020, 1:26 pm

joachimt wrote:
June 27th, 2020, 1:19 pm
Just stop testing and the numbers will drop.
Obviously! I think that as a teacher you can use this brilliant method in your own work - if you stop testing your students, you won't know if any of them are failing or aren't learning the curriculum, and thus you can justifiably claim that you are a 100% successful teacher! And just imagine all the other areas in society we can adapt to this wonderful new way of thinking.

I think we should make "stop testing" the new mantra, at least until we can generate greater popularity to the even better new slogans for the TrumpWorld we live in: "stop learning" and "stop thinking".

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » June 27th, 2020, 2:32 pm

So it's official. Americans can't travel to the EU. Question is, can we travel to Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Andorra, or Britain?
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 27th, 2020, 2:40 pm

mightysparks wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 11:51 pm
I don’t even know how someone can think lockdown hasn’t worked. In WA things are almost back to normal because we shut things down fast and are keeping our borders closed. No-one talks about it anymore, I don’t see anyone taking precautions anymore, there’s no one policing the few precautions left in stores and restaurants... it’s all but forgotten about. I am really surprised how serious things still are in some countries based on posts on this thread: presumably because they didn’t shut things down as fast or effectively. Just because they didn’t do it well doesn’t mean it hasn’t helped. I assume we lucked out here because WA cities are so spread out and only along the coast and places that are more cramped and populated will have a harder time keeping things contained.
Agreed with this 100%. Covid-19 seems like a thing of the past. Life is back to normal. Or at least until we are forced to open our borders to Victoria where outbreaks are continuing to occur. :unsure:
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » June 27th, 2020, 2:55 pm

3eyes wrote:
June 27th, 2020, 2:32 pm
So it's official. Americans can't travel to the EU. Question is, can we travel to Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Andorra, or Britain?
I was actually just looking up the travel requirements for Iceland last night. I've taken almost zero vacation days so far this year, and I feel fine traveling with my current antibodies.

Iceland is taking Americans, but you either have to take a test upon arrival or quarantine for 14 days.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » June 27th, 2020, 3:58 pm

Half our cases from abroad came from Pakistan but we never stopped them or anyone else coming.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » June 27th, 2020, 4:44 pm

Cippenham wrote:
June 27th, 2020, 3:58 pm
Half our cases from abroad came from Pakistan but we never stopped them or anyone else coming.
I googled this one out of curiousity. You have to get beyond the right wing rags' scare headlines to see:
Half the incidents of imported infections are understood to have come from Pakistan since June 4 as data from Public Health England showed 30 cases.
It's pretty blatant what these newspapers, and you, are trying to do.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » June 27th, 2020, 4:45 pm

The right do this so often. Take out the context of something to make it look worse than it actually is.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » June 27th, 2020, 7:41 pm

brokenface wrote:
June 27th, 2020, 4:44 pm
Cippenham wrote:
I googled this one out of curiousity. You have to get beyond the right wing rags' scare headlines to see:
Half the incidents of imported infections are understood to have come from Pakistan since June 4 as data from Public Health England showed 30 cases.
No I was acting in good faith, happy or take this correction but what is true is we should have closed borders surely

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » June 27th, 2020, 7:42 pm

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... aker-says/

This is interesting, social distancing does not help your immune system.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » June 27th, 2020, 9:10 pm

Cippenham wrote:
June 27th, 2020, 7:41 pm
brokenface wrote:
Cippenham wrote:
No I was acting in good faith, happy or take this correction but what is true is we should have closed borders surely
So... Could you explain, preferably in excruciating detail, how locking down the entire country doesn't help against COVID-19, but closing the border somehow does...? You see, I don't get it. I don't get how closing the borders will stop the spread of the virus that's already in the UK, but closing down the entire country somehow doesn't.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » June 27th, 2020, 10:07 pm

Knaldskalle wrote:
June 27th, 2020, 9:10 pm
Cippenham wrote:
June 27th, 2020, 7:41 pm
brokenface wrote:

So... Could you explain, preferably in excruciating detail, how locking down the entire country doesn't help against COVID-19, but closing the border somehow does...? You see, I don't get it. I don't get how closing the borders will stop the spread of the virus that's already in the UK, but closing down the entire country somehow doesn't.
Do you want any answer - most likely a craaaaaaazzzy one - or an answer that makes at least a tiny bit of sense and is well-argued and thoughtful? If the latter, good luck!

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » June 27th, 2020, 10:34 pm

It's those dirty, stinking foreigners spreading the disease. We had to close the border with Canada because those nasty, evil Canadians were coming to the US, looking for someone with Covid and then they'd beg to be sneezed and coughed on and sing songs in small rooms. Then those vile Canadians would run off to the nearest senior care facility, pretend to be everyone's relative and one by one infect those unsuspecting seniors who were only desperate for a visit and can't remember all their relatives anyway.

See, we should have closed our borders much sooner. It's Canadians who snuck into Florida and Texas out spreading the disease. Americans can't spread the disease because it's a foreign disease: we need foreigners to do that. Dirty, stinking foreigners hurt more Americans than cops kill blacks. And it's all Canada's fault.

Blame Canada!

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » June 28th, 2020, 5:57 am

Why is it I feel with our pubs opening July 4 some people will cause trouble and behave badly. I also for some reason Think there will be trouble in the US when it is meant to be a holiday.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » June 28th, 2020, 6:03 am

According to Prof Gupta neither lockdown or border closing helps as per the previous post so perhaps she is right, see also her views as below.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... etra-gupta

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » June 28th, 2020, 6:37 am

Cippenham wrote:
June 28th, 2020, 5:57 am
Why is it I feel with our pubs opening July 4 some people will cause trouble and behave badly.
Pretty safe prediction!

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » June 28th, 2020, 11:12 pm

I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd