Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 8 released June 27th)
Polls: 2010s (Results), 1974 (Results), 2019 awards (Jul 11th)
Challenges: Canada, Low Rated, Director
Film of the Week: Vinyan, August nominations (Jul 31st)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2E: Georgia vs Ukraine (Jul 16th)

Covid-19 or Worldwide Flu

Got it?

Yeah, I got it and feel HORRIBLE.
No votes
Yes, I got it, but am doing okay.
2%
Yes, I had it but have recovered.
2%
I think I had it, but not sure.
10%
No, still waiting.
68%
No, I know I won't get it. Ever.
14%
What are we talking about? I live under a rock.
5%

Total votes: 59

brokenface
Donator

Re: Covid-19 or Worldwide Flu

Post by brokenface » June 10th, 2020, 8:26 am

Cippenham wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 7:29 am
https://thecritic.co.uk/issues/june-202 ... tastrophe/

I thought you might enjoy this attack on Boris and his cabinet in their response to the crisis
Simon Heffer :lol: I see no mention of Brexit in there. The moronic pursuit which got these clowns into power. Which he cheerleaded for.

I will admit I chuckled at "Raab is one of the brighter men in the cabinet"

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » June 10th, 2020, 10:44 am

Yes Boris should step down next year once the EU deal or no deal is done, not sure if he will though

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » June 10th, 2020, 10:45 am

The alternative was mad Marxism, so Hobsons Choice. Also we needed to get Brexit done whatever it takes.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » June 10th, 2020, 10:57 am

Cippenham wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 10:45 am
The alternative was mad Marxism, so Hobsons Choice. Also we needed to get Brexit done whatever it takes.
Just wondering, would you die for Brexit?

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » June 10th, 2020, 2:53 pm

blocho wrote:
June 9th, 2020, 10:56 pm
I went and got the antibody test, which came back positive unsurprisingly. And yes, I know those tests aren't very reliable.
The false positive rate is miniscule. When people say they're not reliable they mean there's lost of false negatives. It appears you almost certainly had COVID, or 99.63% likelihood I read on one site.

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » June 10th, 2020, 2:54 pm

Onderhond wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 10:57 am
Cippenham wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 10:45 am
Just wondering, would you die for Brexit?
Many would. It went from something noone cared about to an ultra polarised issue. Charlatans will be studying the campaign for tips for hundreds of years. Manufactured outrage.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » June 10th, 2020, 5:26 pm

matthewscott8 wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 2:53 pm
blocho wrote:
I went and got the antibody test, which came back positive unsurprisingly. And yes, I know those tests aren't very reliable.
The false positive rate is miniscule. When people say they're not reliable they mean there's lost of false negatives. It appears you almost certainly had COVID, or 99.63% likelihood I read on one site.
Yup! Not to mention I had the symptoms and I live in New York, so I'm as sure as I can be. Anyway, I feel like a superhuman. I'm gonna go out and lick everything I see. You know, because I have antibodies to covid ... and no other diseases exist.

^
^
^
No to be glib about it all. I've felt a bit of dark humor about this all since March, but that's only because the reality is just crushingly sad.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » June 11th, 2020, 5:38 am

blocho wrote:
sorry, must have missed this earlier what with all the ignored posts :yucky: now dominating the thread :sleeping:

Are you saying that covid anti-body test aren't reliable, or they don't tell us a whole lot other than one has been exposed, or that anti-body tests aren't reliable as a rule?

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » June 11th, 2020, 7:31 am

I don’t need to die for Brexit, we already left the EU. They only argue about a deal.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » June 11th, 2020, 11:57 am

Cippenham wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 7:31 am
I don’t need to die for Brexit
Mkay, that's not what I asked though.

Anyway, ran into this little article, which sums up the problem regarding science and politics rather well:
https://thecorrespondent.com/524/the-hy ... 2-c24ec8c5

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » June 11th, 2020, 2:47 pm

As coronavirus cases rise nationwide, public health experts urge caution
Texas, Arkansas, South Carolina, Nevada, Arizona, North Carolina, Oregon, Florida and Utah all set new highs in seven-day rolling case averages Wednesday, according to Post data.

Montana, Arkansas, Utah, Arizona and Texas have all seen coronavirus hospitalizations rise by at least 35 percent in the weeks since Memorial Day.
I guess the darn virus didn't get the memo.

(as always, disable javascript in your browser to read Washington Post for free.)
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » June 11th, 2020, 6:10 pm

Knaldskalle wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 2:47 pm
As coronavirus cases rise nationwide, public health experts urge caution
Texas, Arkansas, South Carolina, Nevada, Arizona, North Carolina, Oregon, Florida and Utah all set new highs in seven-day rolling case averages Wednesday, according to Post data.

Montana, Arkansas, Utah, Arizona and Texas have all seen coronavirus hospitalizations rise by at least 35 percent in the weeks since Memorial Day.
I guess the darn virus didn't get the memo.

(as always, disable javascript in your browser to read Washington Post for free.)
actually, there is no such thing as coronavirus (can you see it? of course you can't because it doesn't exist!) but if there were sick people, any illness would be caused by antifa and the oceans' temperature rising mysteriously on their own (probably from submarine volcanoes or all those scientific instruments - oh, and whale farts)

antifa is killing the economy! :circle:

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » June 11th, 2020, 6:38 pm

xianjiro wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 5:38 am
blocho wrote:
sorry, must have missed this earlier what with all the ignored posts :yucky: now dominating the thread :sleeping:

Are you saying that covid anti-body test aren't reliable, or they don't tell us a whole lot other than one has been exposed, or that anti-body tests aren't reliable as a rule?
My understanding is that covid antibody tests have reliability problems. Some apparently are terrible, but even the best deliver false positives at rates high enough that epidemiologists have expressed significant doubts about their utility.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » June 11th, 2020, 7:22 pm

blocho wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 6:38 pm
xianjiro wrote:
blocho wrote:

My understanding is that covid antibody tests have reliability problems. Some apparently are terrible, but even the best deliver false positives at rates high enough that epidemiologists have expressed significant doubts about their utility.
While a high accuracy of any test is of course desirable, in this case a false positive is less of a concern (broadly speaking) than a false negative. To tell you to go home and self-isolate for 2-3 weeks even if you don't have the virus is less dangerous than telling someone with the virus that they can just carry on as normal.

The goal is of course 100% accuracy, but false negatives need to be stamped out first.
ImageImageImageImage

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » June 11th, 2020, 7:25 pm

I thought I was returning to work in an office soon , but I have been confirmed as still working from home for a few more months. As a former film fanatic I am happy with my own company, but have mixed feelings about this.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » June 11th, 2020, 7:25 pm

At least I still have a job and not on furlough.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » June 11th, 2020, 9:13 pm

Knaldskalle wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 7:22 pm
blocho wrote:
xianjiro wrote:

While a high accuracy of any test is of course desirable, in this case a false positive is less of a concern (broadly speaking) than a false negative. To tell you to go home and self-isolate for 2-3 weeks even if you don't have the virus is less dangerous than telling someone with the virus that they can just carry on as normal.

The goal is of course 100% accuracy, but false negatives need to be stamped out first.
I think he's talking about the antibody tests which are testing whether you had it before, not whether you have it now. False positive there would falsely tell you you've had the virus in the past. Which is not great if it then makes people think they have immunity and they don't (not that we actually know how long or how much immunity you get with Covid).

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » June 12th, 2020, 12:33 am

brokenface wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 9:13 pm
Knaldskalle wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 7:22 pm
blocho wrote:

I think he's talking about the antibody tests which are testing whether you had it before, not whether you have it now. False positive there would falsely tell you you've had the virus in the past. Which is not great if it then makes people think they have immunity and they don't (not that we actually know how long or how much immunity you get with Covid).
Derp! Yes, of course, you are absolutely right! :facepalm: Just swap "false negative" and "false positive" in my previous post... :whistling:
ImageImageImageImage

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » June 17th, 2020, 11:23 pm

https://www.businessinsider.com/republi ... tol-2020-6

This is why we can't have good things in the US anymore.
Owner of three platinums:
  • FilmTotaal top 100
  • IMDb's 1980s Top 50
  • IMDb's Animation Top 50

sebby

Post by sebby » June 17th, 2020, 11:51 pm

The GOP is pure poison. As long as they have heavy influence in the US "good things" will be in short supply.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » June 18th, 2020, 3:27 am

Some light relief at this time, dark comedy. There is a cartoon, a woman in pouring rains a an umbrella says my husband has been inside shielding since the start of this virus. He went outside for the first time today and was struck by lightning ! 🤣
Last edited by Cippenham on June 18th, 2020, 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » June 18th, 2020, 3:28 am

I think our Uk cinemas will reopen in July but with new rules
Last edited by Cippenham on June 18th, 2020, 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » June 18th, 2020, 3:28 am

Ignore

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » June 18th, 2020, 3:30 am

At least we have football back behind closed doors .

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » June 19th, 2020, 7:36 pm

Shitfunnel..? That's a new one.
ImageImageImageImage

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » June 20th, 2020, 3:27 pm

So pubs and restaurants should open July 4 in England. And with a one metre rule instead of two. No ordering at the bar, just from a table or app.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » June 20th, 2020, 4:02 pm

We are still not allowed to travel to the USA but an exception has been made for Nigel Farage who will probably be attending a Trump rally. Meanwhile Piers Corbyn charged with breaking lockdown but thousands of other protesters supporting a woke cause and the woke police take no action and approve, so it depends what you are protesting about not the rules.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » June 20th, 2020, 8:45 pm

So I have a cousin - my oldest cousin, 71 - who used to be a pretty left-wing guy - protested against Vietnam, hippie, pothead, very laid-back (still is if you meet him and don't talk politics, if that's possible anymore) who got on the Trump train in 2016 and has gotten progressively crazier all the time; I've read some absolutely nutso letters to a local paper that he's written that show a full-on raging white supremacist MAGA-man in action. It cost him his marriage (35+ years with 4 kids) and at least a couple of his close family members don't want much to do with him anymore. Anyway he is apparently in Tulsa now for the big rally, gonna come right home afterwards to the very large senior housing complex he lives in, and he's posted this on Facebook and Twitter...

I presume he's probably against wearing gloves, washing, brushing his teeth, or doing anything else that any sane person who knows anything about medicine has promoted over the last, say, 200 years.

Fuck these people. If only the morons were not dead-set on taking the rest of us with them.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » June 20th, 2020, 9:24 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
June 20th, 2020, 8:45 pm
So I have a cousin - my oldest cousin, 71 - who used to be a pretty left-wing guy - protested against Vietnam, hippie, pothead, very laid-back (still is if you meet him and don't talk politics, if that's possible anymore) who got on the Trump train in 2016 and has gotten progressively crazier all the time; I've read some absolutely nutso letters to a local paper that he's written that show a full-on raging white supremacist MAGA-man in action. It cost him his marriage (35+ years with 4 kids) and at least a couple of his close family members don't want much to do with him anymore. Anyway he is apparently in Tulsa now for the big rally, gonna come right home afterwards to the very large senior housing complex he lives in, and he's posted this on Facebook and Twitter...

I presume he's probably against wearing gloves, washing, brushing his teeth, or doing anything else that any sane person who knows anything about medicine has promoted over the last, say, 200 years.

Fuck these people. If only the morons were not dead-set on taking the rest of us with them.
At least #5 on that one is seriously incorrect. The virus may be smaller than the weave of the mask, but the virus is contained in fluid (saliva in most cases) whose surface tension keeps the droplets big enough to be contained by the mask. The Catholic Church spread similar misinformation about HIV at one point, conveniently forgetting that condoms manage to contain the fluid inside even though the virus is smaller than the pores in the latex.

I doubt the other "issues" are any more correct than the one I can shoot down right away.
ImageImageImageImage

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » June 20th, 2020, 9:39 pm

Yeah #5 was the first one that jumped out at me. Much like a certain regular on this thread, I don't really trust anything at all from this cousin, so I assume this is pretty much all bullshit. And, you know, I've worn masks before and been around other people wearing masks for various reasons - hasn't everybody? When my mom was in the hospital with pneumonia 5 years ago or so I was asked to wear a mask around her, and I did for several days. Seemed pretty normal and sensible. And there wasn't any big outcry about mask-wearing during previous major flu epidemics; in 2008-9 I had two cousins - one of them a pretty conservative Evangelical at the time - get very, very seriously sick, both had to be on ventilators. Both pulled through and I know they, and their immediate families, have taken mask-wearing pretty seriously ever since - and several of these people are Trump voters. So it's only the same kind of fringe nut-jobs who are also anti-vaxxers and probably believe we didn't go to the moon and that Kennedy is still living somewhere with Elvis and Malcolm X plotting a takeover of the world masterminded by the Illuminati. Unfortunately that's not as tiny a number of crazies as it should be and it seems to have grown every generation in my lifetime.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » June 21st, 2020, 2:52 am

There is a genuine case that face masks are not that effective , I am not saying they are as bad as indicated above. In the uk they were officially considered not much use and have only been enforced on public transport recently. So not considered that important in the uk. For example scientists have been divided on the issue.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... n-covid-19

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » June 21st, 2020, 4:50 am

There is a genuine case you might have to wait A long time for an effective vaccine, instead take vitamins D , C, zinc and HDX or or if infected dexamethasone as the latter is going to improve chances of you get it. HDX is harmful if you overdose as they did in a recent study they used to say it is not effective when it is with zinc, this shows it is effective

http://www.francesoir.fr/oxford-recover ... ls-swallow

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » June 21st, 2020, 8:17 am

Cippenham wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 4:50 am
There is a genuine case you might have to wait A long time for an effective vaccine, instead take vitamins D , C, zinc and HDX or or if infected dexamethasone as the latter is going to improve chances of you get it. HDX is harmful if you overdose as they did in a recent study they used to say it is not effective when it is with zinc, this shows it is effective

http://www.francesoir.fr/oxford-recover ... ls-swallow
Not that anyone will be listening to cipp's unsolicited medical advice, but dexamethasone is only shown to be helpful in the very serious cases (i e. people on ventilators). It's not something to be taken just if you happen to get covid.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » June 21st, 2020, 5:17 pm

"I'm not a doctor. I just play one on the Internet."

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » June 21st, 2020, 6:14 pm

So, anyone want to pick which day and hour we hit 10,000,000 cases worldwide? No doubt this week, but I can't decide if it will Monday or Tuesday. Mondays have been big generally as weekend reporting isn't always done.

sol can find me here

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » June 21st, 2020, 8:10 pm

Sweden has a huge backlog from around Tuesday because of Midsommar, so...

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » June 22nd, 2020, 12:31 am

the hell with a second wave - I think the swell is still developing on the first wave
The World Health Organization has reported ... more than 183,000 new cases in the latest 24 hours.

The UN health agency says Brazil led the way with 54,771 cases tallied and the US next at 36,617. Over 15,400 came in in India.

“When you have 20,000-plus infections per day, how can you talk about a second wave?” said Dr. Anthony Fauci of the National Institutes of Health. “We’re in the first wave.”
:o source

just keep trying to remember it's hospital bed utilization that really matters at this point and the only state (so far) I've seen discussed that's closing in on maxing out is Arizona. It also seems there are now plenty of ventilators floating around, so, if nothing else, stay home orders helped shift a large chunk of infections to a time when they could be better accommodated by the health care industrial complex. But I know that doesn't stop some from feeling like the sacrifices of the prior months are going to be in vain.

Just hoping that the death rate doesn't rise as quickly as infections.

sol can find me here

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » June 22nd, 2020, 8:02 am

I went to a family yesterday for the birthday of my niece. Only close family in the garden, 11 people in total. It's allowed to visit one another here, as long as you keep distance. A little while ago my sister-in-law was extremely cautious about not infecting here parents (around 70 years old). So I fully expected everyone at the little party to follow the rules. When I got there I was completely surprised that everyone started hugging and shaking hands. I refused, but I was the only one. Especially my mother-in-law was like: don't be weird, it's just us. Felt really weird to be the only one sticking to the rules.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"