Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 3 released May 19th)
Polls: South Asia (Results), Doubling the Canon (Results), 1950s (May 24th), 1966 awards (May 28th), 1935 (May 29th)
Challenges: Comedy, Western, Iberian Peninsula
Film of the Week: Unter den Brücken, June nominations (May 29th)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2A (Jun 4th)

Covid-19 or Worldwide Flu

Got it?

Yeah, I got it and feel HORRIBLE.
No votes
Yes, I got it, but am doing okay.
2%
Yes, I had it but have recovered.
2%
I think I had it, but not sure.
9%
No, still waiting.
70%
No, I know I won't get it. Ever.
13%
What are we talking about? I live under a rock.
5%

Total votes: 56

We Are One

Re: Covid-19 or Worldwide Flu

Post by We Are One » May 7th, 2020, 7:27 am

I work for a community health centre and our organisation is providing testing. So I went in Tuesday morning and got a test. Before the test the doctor asked me if I'd experienced any symptoms. I told him that I had the odd sore throat and had 'some awareness' of my chest but I suspected that it was probably psychosomatic. The doctor told me that as precaution I should go home after the test and not return to work until I get the all clear. So I've had the last three days off and as tomorrow is Friday it doesn't look I'll be back at work until Monday at the earliest. I suspect I don't have it so I feel a bit weird about getting a paid week off.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » May 7th, 2020, 12:57 pm

weirdboy wrote:
May 7th, 2020, 1:30 am
smallpox blankets redux
Fortunately, it's not quite as bad as that, but yeah... not a good look.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » May 7th, 2020, 3:12 pm

Lifting the Covid-19 restrictions when there is no widespread testing available and no downward trend in cases is foolish.

It will take a while for that to happen because Republican media is telling their audience that they are being oppressed because they are being asked to wear masks and stay at home.
Owner of three platinums:
  • FilmTotaal top 100
  • IMDb's 1980s Top 50
  • IMDb's Animation Top 50

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » May 7th, 2020, 3:57 pm

COVID restrictions are treated in discourse as if they were binary on/off, but they aren't. I'm for some lifting, and adoption of measures similar to Sweden. Pubs, sport and music venues should remain closed, people who can work at home should continue to do so.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » May 7th, 2020, 4:01 pm

matthewscott8 wrote:
May 7th, 2020, 3:57 pm
COVID restrictions are treated in discourse as if they were binary on/off, but they aren't. I'm for some lifting, and adoption of measures similar to Sweden. Pubs, sport and music venues should remain closed, people who can work at home should continue to do so.
Non-binary thinking is pretty much an impossibility for a large percentage of Americans - and nearly 100% of Trump voters - so this is all just wishful thinking as regards the USA. And unfortunately, given our outsize impact on the whole world, we're pretty much going to keep fucking everybody over for the foreseeable future.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 7th, 2020, 4:05 pm

Kublai Khan wrote:
May 7th, 2020, 3:12 pm
It will take a while for that to happen because Republican media is telling their audience that they are being oppressed because they are being asked to wear masks and stay at home.
martial law :circle: martial law!

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » May 7th, 2020, 4:08 pm

matthewscott8 wrote:
I just think we need to be a bit further with infrastructure to test + trace before changing much, if anything. The countries that have got it down to near zero did it with tracing and we don't have that in place, the app sounds like a cock-up in the making. If you have ability to test regularly in highest-risk places (i.e. hospitals + care homes) and have good tracing infrastructure to get it under control quickly when there are cases outside of them, then you in a position to loosen restrictions more. Testing is getting there, tracing is not.

Real problem is the messages sent by all the tabloids today is basically back to normal on Monday, where it's much more likely to be baby steps of just allowing a bit more outdoor activity. Government consistently failing to get a consistent message out.

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » May 7th, 2020, 5:21 pm

One of Trump's valets tested positive for coronavirus.
Owner of three platinums:
  • FilmTotaal top 100
  • IMDb's 1980s Top 50
  • IMDb's Animation Top 50

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » May 7th, 2020, 6:56 pm

brokenface wrote:
May 7th, 2020, 4:08 pm
matthewscott8 wrote:
I just think we need to be a bit further with infrastructure to test + trace before changing much, if anything. The countries that have got it down to near zero did it with tracing and we don't have that in place, the app sounds like a cock-up in the making. If you have ability to test regularly in highest-risk places (i.e. hospitals + care homes) and have good tracing infrastructure to get it under control quickly when there are cases outside of them, then you in a position to loosen restrictions more. Testing is getting there, tracing is not.

Real problem is the messages sent by all the tabloids today is basically back to normal on Monday, where it's much more likely to be baby steps of just allowing a bit more outdoor activity. Government consistently failing to get a consistent message out.
The government know they need local contact tracing to go with the app. On its own it won't help much. In Bristol where I am it's at zero, 0 new cases or deaths in 24 hours. Just feels a bit silly to havehte south west, and other places where it's under control to have no relaxation of restrictions whatsoever. I think they worry it will set some sort of precedent for regionalism. South Korea, which sorted this very quickly, has special care zones. So should we. No point places grinding to a complete halt that don't have a problem.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » May 7th, 2020, 7:44 pm

matthewscott8 wrote:
May 7th, 2020, 6:56 pm
brokenface wrote:
May 7th, 2020, 4:08 pm
matthewscott8 wrote:

The government know they need local contact tracing to go with the app. On its own it won't help much. In Bristol where I am it's at zero, 0 new cases or deaths in 24 hours. Just feels a bit silly to havehte south west, and other places where it's under control to have no relaxation of restrictions whatsoever. I think they worry it will set some sort of precedent for regionalism. South Korea, which sorted this very quickly, has special care zones. So should we. No point places grinding to a complete halt that don't have a problem.
Yeah but what I mean is the app is shit and will not get wide uptake AND they have very little in place yet in terms of staffing for local contact tracing.

Where did you get the stat for 0 new cases/deaths in 24 hours in Bristol? I know it's lower in South West, where I am (Oxford) also has not been hit too bad, relative to some regions, but I didn't think anywhere populous was at zero levels yet.

sebby

Post by sebby » May 8th, 2020, 12:27 am

WE MUST PROTECT THE SECOND AMENDMENT AT ALL COSTS OR WE WILL LOSE OUR GREAT TRADITION OF UNNECESSARY MASS SHOOTINGS

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 8th, 2020, 4:06 am

And we're the Greatest when it comes to mass shootings!! Wonderful. Now if all we can do is shoot those little coronaviruses in their asses. Worse than Pearl Harbor!

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » May 8th, 2020, 9:55 am

sebby wrote:
May 8th, 2020, 12:27 am
WE MUST PROTECT THE SECOND AMENDMENT AT ALL COSTS OR WE WILL LOSE OUR GREAT TRADITION OF UNNECESSARY MASS SHOOTINGS
Well we must protect ourselves from the gov't and reckless police. We may just vote total nutjobs to the office, then it's basically civil war.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » May 9th, 2020, 7:27 am

Where I live some neighbours had a kind of mini street party for VeDay, not much social distancing. If this was repeated it is not good. As for government message apart from this the message stay at home has been very successful, as good as get Brexit done. The same Source I believe. Stay safe, save lives will be the new message.

I just noticed I have Been here 9 years today, I was really just looking to complete TSPDT which I did and started some time earlier. I got too much into politics but would like to get back to films but for me i have to follow a list obsession to do it .

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » May 9th, 2020, 8:05 am

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... ogle-model

Looks like we could be getting a much better app than the one tried in the Isle of Wight

I would not be using the existing app anyway

albajos

Post by albajos » May 9th, 2020, 10:00 am

44 of those 39 900 working with your daily groceries have had Corona in this country (missing numbers from one chain of stores)

That is a ridicolusly low number as these people have to meet new people every day.

But they have put up sneeze screens at the cashier, and wipe everything contnously. So it's the safest place right now

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 9th, 2020, 10:03 am

I went back to work recently and the only different thing we have to do is wear gloves, but there weren't enough for everyone so only half of us wore gloves lol.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » May 9th, 2020, 1:53 pm

Australia is so safe compared to the uk there is plan B for all the English premier league football to be moved to Perth, the players would be strictly tested and controlled, no fans of course could travel. Plan A is to play on neutral venues in the Uk. I think it’s unlikely this plan but you never know. Of course the players would be in quarantine for 14 days to start with as well.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » May 9th, 2020, 6:14 pm

Is a 4 legged robot coming your way soon to check you are following the rules?

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/8/21251 ... distancing

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » May 10th, 2020, 4:13 am

I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » May 10th, 2020, 12:22 pm

Uk new message is Stay Alert, but only minimal change to lockdown

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... own-advice

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » May 10th, 2020, 12:40 pm

Cippenham wrote:
May 10th, 2020, 12:22 pm
Uk new message is Stay Alert, but only minimal change to lockdown

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... own-advice
Changing it from "stay home" to "stay alert" is a stupid idea IMO. Very vague message and lots of people will be happy to ignore it and go outside again properly. We're at the highest number of cases in Europe. The government took too long to bring in lockdown in the first place and our lockdown has been far less strict than Spain, for example, and we're suffering because of it.

Important to note that only England are changing to "stay alert". Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have rejected it.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » May 10th, 2020, 5:06 pm

See what Boris says. People will respond to government propaganda however.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 10th, 2020, 6:57 pm

I spy with my little eye something beginning with ... is it C, S, or V? Thank goodness it as easy to spot a virus, say as a bag with explosives or some nut driving a van through a crowd!

sol can find me here

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » May 10th, 2020, 7:59 pm

Someone else voted having coronavirus.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » May 10th, 2020, 8:19 pm

That's me, I'm pretty sure I have it, though I'm not an essential worker so I'm not getting tested. Been completely isolated and haven't left my apartment for nearly two weeks now. It's a milder strain at least and the symptoms are dying down.

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

TraverseTown

Post by TraverseTown » May 10th, 2020, 8:35 pm

outdoorcats wrote:
May 10th, 2020, 8:19 pm
That's me, I'm pretty sure I have it, though I'm not an essential worker so I'm not getting tested. Been completely isolated and haven't left my apartment for nearly two weeks now. It's a milder strain at least and the symptoms are dying down.
How do you think you would have gotten it?

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » May 10th, 2020, 8:53 pm

I've only been to the grocery store and laundromat, so, one of those places. I always wore a mask and kept my distance from everyone, but, oh well. I live in a big city after all.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » May 10th, 2020, 8:57 pm

A mask isn't much of a protection and may actually increase the chance of catching it tho. Also the eyes are usually not covered.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 11th, 2020, 2:18 am

sorry to hear you're sick outdoorcats - but glad it's not too sick and hopefully you're on the road to recovery (and possibly immunity, fingers crossed). It is particularly concerning that you can't get a test and illustrates what's wrong with the present approach to the conundrum virus vs economy. I'm really sorry you got caught in that, but if, like you said, you got it at the grocery store or laundromat, only the strictest of lockdowns would have kept both off limits. Sure hope your feeling tip-top again very soon!

sol can find me here

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » May 11th, 2020, 6:42 pm

The uk government has issued a new 50 page document Our plan to rebuild the country after we completely messed it up. On section 7 annex B they say you are very unlikely to infected by another person if you walk past them in the street yet people behave as if you have the plague.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » May 11th, 2020, 6:53 pm

In the changing uk regulations from to tomorrow you can go on a tinder date For example but you must sit 2metres apart in the park or outside. So it would be a disappointment. 😁

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » May 11th, 2020, 9:36 pm

Armoreska wrote:
May 10th, 2020, 8:57 pm
A mask isn't much of a protection and may actually increase the chance of catching it tho. Also the eyes are usually not covered.
The masks are not to protect the wearer, but those around the wearer. It's intended to catch your "droplets" from speech, breathing, coughing and sneezing so other people won't get infected.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » May 11th, 2020, 9:54 pm

"If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with COVID-19."
WHO
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » May 11th, 2020, 10:35 pm

My understanding is that they only originally said that to stop people from buying up all the masks needed for hospitals. Since then, the new advice is that everyone should wear a mask in public (and it's required at most local grocery stores to shop).

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » May 11th, 2020, 10:38 pm

Cippenham wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 6:42 pm
On section 7 annex B they say you are very unlikely to infected by another person if you walk past them in the street yet people behave as if you have the plague.
If you passed someone in the street with plague you'd be even less likely to catch it...

Plus no-one ever said it was likely. We have been looking to reduce R nought from 3 to below 1, and avoiding unnecessary excursions did achieve that. If you go out to town you walk past a lot of people, whilst it's not likely to pass it on to any particular individual, you only have to pass it on once in 3 weeks to get an R nought of 1. You will do that if you're out and about all the time.

Would you have plumped for the 250,000 people dying option?

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » May 12th, 2020, 12:06 am

Armoreska wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 9:54 pm
"If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with COVID-19."
WHO
That's correct. Unfortunately lack of testing and a long incubation period means no one truly knows if they're healthy.

jal90

Post by jal90 » May 12th, 2020, 12:55 am

Masks are necessary when you can't keep a distance, like in supermarkets. In the street it's just an extra that may help but primarily it's a matter of respecting the distance, not interacting and keeping your hands and face clean.

The virus is easy to catch but is also easy to avoid, particularly if you can keep a minimum distance.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 12th, 2020, 2:49 am

outdoorcats wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 10:35 pm
My understanding is that they only originally said that to stop people from buying up all the masks needed for hospitals. Since then, the new advice is that everyone should wear a mask in public (and it's required at most local grocery stores to shop).
and most everywhere I've seen masks required or strongly suggested, the directive is pretty clear that they should NOT be surgical or similar - these need to be reserved for those providing medical services - thus the call for people to use homemade masks (and for the reasons already stated)

I believe one caveat to the "might increase chances" was stated basically as masks might give a false impression of security that would lead to more important lapses like less hand washing and more face touching. Thus the "anti-mask" messaging

sol can find me here