Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Coming of Age (Results), DtC - Ratings (Results), 1933 (May 12th), 1970s (May 29th)
Challenges: Japan, Mystery/Thriller, Western
Film of the Week: La donna del lago, June nominations (May 28th)

Covid-19 Quarantine

Got it?

Yeah, I got it and feel HORRIBLE.
No votes
Yes, I got it, but am doing okay.
8%
Yes, I had it but have recovered.
5%
I think I had it, but not sure.
3%
No, still waiting.
23%
No, I know I won't get it. Ever.
15%
I got vaccinated!
43%
What are we talking about? I live under a rock.
5%

Total votes: 40

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

I didn't even know it was a long weekend. I guess it's to stop all the long weekend/ANZAC activities and crowds. But yea it's strange that it's not 7, maybe they want to see if they get any more positive hits over the weekend before making it as long as last time (to stop people whinging as well?).
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

xianjiro wrote: April 23rd, 2021, 4:48 am
Are the cognitive problems Covid related? I've kind of lost track of some of the less frequent problems that seem to crop up with this disease.
I think they're not sure yet, but they either started or became noticeable after he first started getting sick, which was nearly a week ago now. I recall reading about a higher incidence of cognitive issues following recovery for some people who have recovered. I know one person, a coworker, who got sick last March and he still says he experiences brain fog that he didn't have prior to getting covid.
I do hope it changes my friend's mind about the vaccine, esp since her husband, among other things, is pretty irresponsible with CDC guidelines, mask wearing, and the like.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

mightysparks wrote: April 23rd, 2021, 8:45 am I didn't even know it was a long weekend. I guess it's to stop all the long weekend/ANZAC activities and crowds. But yea it's strange that it's not 7, maybe they want to see if they get any more positive hits over the weekend before making it as long as last time (to stop people whinging as well?).
Yeah, I don't know. The whole thing is weird and feels like it has been done to stop people getting upset rather than protect against a possible outbreak. I mean, you have until midnight to travel outside the metro area (before borders come in) just so that you can spread the virus there if you're infected?!
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

Slightly off-topic, yet still relevant: Early trial shows 77% efficacy in new Malaria vaccine.

The Oxford/AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine was developed on the back of this vaccine that was still in early trial. If it turns out to be this effective on a large scale, it's huge news. 400,000+ people die from malaria - every year.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

My friend's father is out of the hospital; apparently it was a "mild" case of covid, complicated by his diabetes and an electrolyte imbalance. My friend and the rest of her family still have no plans on getting the vaccine. When I asked my friend actually said: "well, I don't need it now because I was exposed"... and she's a public health official (though not for infectious diseases) by trade. :facepalm:
I'm glad her dad is okay anyway...
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Glad to hear he's okay. Meanwhile over here we enter first day of lockdown with no new cases of community transmission. Will have to see if this keeps up.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

I just read we did have one new case...
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

sol
Donator

Post by sol »

You're right. I spoke too soon...
Image Image Image
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

that's a given
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Can I speak too soon again? :think: News reports at the moment call this a second lockdown day with no new local transmission.
Image Image Image
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

peeptoad wrote: April 24th, 2021, 11:33 am My friend's father is out of the hospital; apparently it was a "mild" case of covid, complicated by his diabetes and an electrolyte imbalance. My friend and the rest of her family still have no plans on getting the vaccine. When I asked my friend actually said: "well, I don't need it now because I was exposed"... and she's a public health official (though not for infectious diseases) by trade. :facepalm:
I'm glad her dad is okay anyway...
Discharged and readmitted 48 hrs later with O2 sat at 69%. He's stable now, but in the hospital until at least the weekend. Suffice to say I won't be seeing my friend for awhile since she's been around him for the last 2 days...
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome »

Fucking Florida...take a look at this New York Times article: private school in Miami, citing false claims, bars vaccinated teachers from contact with students

An excerpt:
In an example of how misinformation threatens the nation’s effort to vaccinate enough Americans to get the coronavirus under control, Ms. Centner, who has frequently shared anti-vaccine posts on Facebook, claimed in the letter that “reports have surfaced recently of non-vaccinated people being negatively impacted by interacting with people who have been vaccinated.”

“Even among our own population, we have at least three women with menstrual cycles impacted after having spent time with a vaccinated person,” she wrote, repeating a false claim that vaccinated people can somehow pass the vaccine to others and thereby affect their reproductive systems. (They can do neither.)
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

GruesomeTwosome wrote: April 27th, 2021, 7:45 pm Fucking Florida...take a look at this New York Times article: private school in Miami, citing false claims, bars vaccinated teachers from contact with students

An excerpt:
In an example of how misinformation threatens the nation’s effort to vaccinate enough Americans to get the coronavirus under control, Ms. Centner, who has frequently shared anti-vaccine posts on Facebook, claimed in the letter that “reports have surfaced recently of non-vaccinated people being negatively impacted by interacting with people who have been vaccinated.”

“Even among our own population, we have at least three women with menstrual cycles impacted after having spent time with a vaccinated person,” she wrote, repeating a false claim that vaccinated people can somehow pass the vaccine to others and thereby affect their reproductive systems. (They can do neither.)
It looks like this is a school largely run by anti-vaxxers, at least according to the Washington Post.
ImageImageImageImage

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome »

Knaldskalle wrote: April 28th, 2021, 1:43 am
GruesomeTwosome wrote: April 27th, 2021, 7:45 pm Fucking Florida...take a look at this New York Times article: private school in Miami, citing false claims, bars vaccinated teachers from contact with students

An excerpt:

It looks like this is a school largely run by anti-vaxxers, at least according to the Washington Post.
Correct. Anti-vaxxers who apparently initiate school policies based on crazy shit they read on Facebook. Fuckin’ nuts.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan »

Yeah, that won't hold up in court. It would be a severe violence of HIPPA for them to find out if an employee has been vaccinated or not.
Owner of three platinums:
  • FilmTotaal Top 100
  • IMDb's Animation Top 50
  • IMDb's Fantasy Top 50
sebby

Post by sebby »

The combination of human stupidity and selfishness is rapidly destroying the world and there is no stopping it at this point. The point where it was possible to roll the snowball back up the hill has passed. Just pray you die before things get too bad, I guess.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Yuppers. I am Sisyphus.
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

When all is said and one (if it ever is) I'm doing a tally of the colleagues I've lost to this damn virus. Another one went down (or at least the announcement was made) yesterday... I wonderful woman who worked in one of the research labs for the last decade or so. And someone I've interfaced with via training sessions and other activities pretty frequently. This is getting pretty exhausting.
weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy »

I still am of the opinion that the anti-vaxxer movement will burn itself out in a couple of generations by virtue of natural selection.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

yeah. sure. but how many others will they take with them thanks to variants and potentially "virulents"?
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

I'm aware that it's misanthropic even from me, but I'm rooting for them to Darwin themselves sooner than later and not take any innocents with them. Fuck these people. They're a literal plague on society. Anything bad that happens to the science-deniers, they can't expect sympathy from me.
🏳️‍⚧️
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

kongs_speech wrote: April 29th, 2021, 1:19 am I'm aware that it's misanthropic even from me, but I'm rooting for them to Darwin themselves sooner than later and not take any innocents with them. Fuck these people. They're a literal plague on society. Anything bad that happens to the science-deniers, they can't expect sympathy from me.
The problem isn't them "Darwining" themselves out of existence. The problem is that these ass-clowns a) prevent herd immunity from happening, so people who can't get vaccinated (due to allergies, for instance) remain at risk and b) spread it to people who aren't yet vaccinated (though you did mention innocents).

I read a youtube comment (I know...) that said "My dad was an anti-masker who didn't believe in that 'crap'. Then he caught covid and passed it to his parents. We buried them both in January. Now he wears a mask."

^^That's the problem.
ImageImageImageImage

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Knaldskalle wrote: April 29th, 2021, 1:36 am
kongs_speech wrote: April 29th, 2021, 1:19 am I'm aware that it's misanthropic even from me, but I'm rooting for them to Darwin themselves sooner than later and not take any innocents with them. Fuck these people. They're a literal plague on society. Anything bad that happens to the science-deniers, they can't expect sympathy from me.
The problem isn't them "Darwining" themselves out of existence. The problem is that these ass-clowns a) prevent herd immunity from happening, so people who can't get vaccinated (due to allergies, for instance) remain at risk and b) spread it to people who aren't yet vaccinated (though you did mention innocents).

I read a youtube comment (I know...) that said "My dad was an anti-masker who didn't believe in that 'crap'. Then he caught covid and passed it to his parents. We buried them both in January. Now he wears a mask."

^^That's the problem.
My best friend and I are both in the pool of intelligent, science-respecting people who just can't get the vaccine for medical reasons. She can't because of allergies. I can't because I'm already barely able to get out of bed. If my fatigue ever improves, I'll get it, but right now, it seems like suicide. In the shithole area where we live, I'd guess that probably most people aren't getting it. Not only will there not be herd immunity, the cases won't even go down.
🏳️‍⚧️
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

^^That's the problem.
well, and lest we forget, each new infection is a risk of a new variant, and while completely random variations can run the gamut from completely benign to one with the potential to evade some or all of our current vaccines. In the past, non-cooperatives would have been removed from society or severely restricted in their movement, but we want to keep free movement around the planet while NOT getting anywhere near herd immunity humanity wide.

Covid will be with us for some time. We might quiet things down for a bit, but there are other Indias yet to come.
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

^^That's the problem.
Most certainly.
My best friend and her family are representative of this too... at least my friend's stance on the vaccine seems to be changing (slightly- she still hasn't firmly said she'll get it , but has finally consented to getting tested and she's getting a PCR test done today), but it took both of her parents getting sick one of them becoming seriously ill and admitted to the hospital and her brother and his entire family (wife, and 3 kids) all getting really sick for her to change her tune. Her bother is also a staunch anit-vaxer. He won't even get his kids vaccinated for the flu and his son (8 yrs at the time) nearly died from the flu a few years ago because he got so sick he spiked a 105 fever that wouldn't go down.
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

peeptoad wrote: April 30th, 2021, 10:58 am

^^That's the problem.
Most certainly.
My best friend and her family are representative of this too... at least my friend's stance on the vaccine seems to be changing (slightly- she still hasn't firmly said she'll get it , but has finally consented to getting tested and she's getting a PCR test done today), but it took both of her parents getting sick one of them becoming seriously ill and admitted to the hospital and her brother and his entire family (wife, and 3 kids) all getting really sick for her to change her tune. Her bother is also a staunch anit-vaxer. He won't even get his kids vaccinated for the flu and his son (8 yrs at the time) nearly died from the flu a few years ago because he got so sick he spiked a 105 fever that wouldn't go down.
:facepalm:

Do any of these people have any kind of self-preservation instinct that does not include using an AR-15?
ImageImageImageImage

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

Misleading title and barely a silver lining but it's still quite interesting to see. Flu deaths went WAYYY down

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... KQR5eiNzVE
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Knaldskalle wrote: April 30th, 2021, 2:12 pm

^^That's the problem.
Most certainly.

Do any of these people have any kind of self-preservation instinct that does not include using an AR-15?
Sure. Jesus Saves.
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

Pretentious Hipster wrote: April 30th, 2021, 2:15 pm Misleading title and barely a silver lining but it's still quite interesting to see. Flu deaths went WAYYY down

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... KQR5eiNzVE
Yeah, I remember reading back in... December? how the CDC had analyzed 28,000 submitted samples for the flu. 6 came back positive.
ImageImageImageImage

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

Knaldskalle wrote: April 30th, 2021, 2:12 pm

^^That's the problem.
Most certainly.

What OldAle said and/or "no". It's mind boggling...
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

More riots in belgium
Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham »

Many years ago I used to get fatigued and found out about Iyengar yoga and breathing techniques. Some of you should try it as it could change your life, for example this shows some of the techniques

https://featheredpipe.com/feathered-pip ... marla-apt/

We have done well in the Uk with vaccine rollouts and I had both jabs, no side effects on 2nd.
yllow

Post by yllow »

Anywhere near you?
Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham »

No .
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

From midnight Saturday we were allowed to not wear masks outside again but by 6pm that day they put masks outside back on the menu after another hotel dude and his housemates tested positive. This is in place until 8th May for now. Whenever they've posted the lists of exposure sites it’s always been places nowhere near me, but this time they're actually in my area and the area that I grew up/where my mum still lives which is weird. Even my favourite restaurant (which is just downstairs from me) was on the list of 'low exposure sites' but I last visited it the day before the infected person did. For some reason all the people that test positive are Uber/Uber eats drivers.

I also went out to take out the recycling and check the mail earlier and I was surprised to pass a few people not wearing masks. I live at a resort so I'd expect people to take it a bit more seriously since we get travelers and stuff :shrug:

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

at least you have a functioning contact tracing system! (or your system isn't overloaded with thousands of cases is more like it)

I have to assume everywhere I go - besides the great outdoors - is risky for contamination. But probably the worst was waiting in the relatively tiny pharmacy space for my shot a couple weeks ago. Everyone had a mask on - some more or less - but the social distancing spacing wasn't happening and everyone was talking. It's hard to be pleasant and friendly when you also know that's a risk factor. Even when reduced by masks. I was happy to be released back into the store - picked up a few things then waited outside for my ride.

While I've done nothing involving a crowd outdoors since this started, I only have a mask on outside when I'm entering or leaving a building. I guess the one benefit to everyone being so addicted to their cars is empty sidewalks. Rarely do I have to share a sidewalk and it's usually kids. Almost everyone else is pretty respectful of space.

Did have a guy last week want to say hi during our walk. He was very friendly and pleasant, but wanted to shake my hand and stand at the old distance. Can't tell you how uncomfortable that made me. At least it was brief. Even outside, and especially since we're unmasked, I still prefer a much larger "personal space".
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Cuba is starting to do vaccine rollouts https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/5/3 ... d-vaccines

Iran and Venezuela is doing trials of them now
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

5% of the Alberta population has or had covid and that's just the people who got tested holy shit
monk-time

Post by monk-time »

Knaldskalle wrote: April 11th, 2021, 6:44 am BYOB? As in Bring Your Own Bodybag... Snip a couple of holes in it (one to breathe, another for genitals) and - Presto! - Covid-safe sex. :lol:

Just realized that some of those fetish people probably were way ahead of the rest of us.
prodigalgodson wrote: April 11th, 2021, 7:51 am
Knaldskalle wrote: April 11th, 2021, 6:44 am Just realized that some of those fetish people probably were way ahead of the rest of us.
Not to mention the Hasidim...
I don't know if you meant it seriously but the thing about Jews having sex through a hole in a sheet is a total myth, one of the rare less-malicious-than-usual myths about us that are floating around. I like the theory about dumb neighbors of Jewish communities inventing this myth after seeing a poncho-like tallit katan drying on a clothes line.

And the fact that it's totally opposite from the truth (good sex is suppossed to be a big deal in Judaism afaik, not a religious person myself) just adds more to the irony. :lol:
monk-time

Post by monk-time »

Feels so weird reading about all the lockdowns happening around the world lately. Here (Saint Petersburg, Russia) it's pretty much a post-covid world, at least in terms of city life and general mood. Vaccines are generally available since the start of the year, no shortages since February. Almost everyone who wanted to get vaccinated seems to have done so already, about 10% of the city, and the rate of vaccinations keeps slowing down. I got my first shot on February 1st, and by now I do struggle to remind myself that it's not over yet. I still put on a mask every time I leave my flat but now it feels more like a casual habit than a life-saving measure.

People still get sick but nobody seems to care at all, which is made easier by the fact that there's no reliable data on daily cases at all. Our official graph of daily cases in the 5 million city is just a month-long horizontal line of +695-720 cases per day, obviously not the raw data to say the least. Our peak in December was a month-long horizontal line too, at +3685-3780, never dipping even on weekends.

--

And since February all local covid news have been totally obscured by our current accelerating crackdown on political opposition. My news nowadays is pretty much pure "protesters beaten by police / hundreds detained / new arrests / new sentences / new repressive laws". The state jailed a lawyer of a jailed journalist the other day, I kid you not.