Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 8 released June 27th)
Polls: 2010s (Results), 1974 (Jun 28th), 2019 awards (Jul 11th)
Challenges: Canada, Low Rated, Director
Film of the Week: Il ferroviere, August nominations (Jul 31st)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2D: Estonia vs Spain (Jul 5th), Match 2E: Georgia vs Ukraine (Jul 16th)

Tinnitus

Post Reply
User avatar
nimimerkillinen
Posts: 2309
Joined: Dec 30, 2011
Location: Vantaa, Finland
Contact:

Tinnitus

#1

Post by nimimerkillinen » February 17th, 2020, 9:49 am

Have you got it?

Ive had it since 2003 but it took turn for much worse last october after two day music fest. Sub-normal voice sounds like im yelling. If i listen to music i cant hear anymore the best parts and some other instruments seem louder. Oh well

User avatar
peeptoad
Posts: 2042
Joined: Feb 04, 2017
Contact:

#2

Post by peeptoad » February 17th, 2020, 1:46 pm

Yes, though it's usually mild. It definitely gets worse when I drink alcohol. I have no idea when it started, but at least a decade ago, gradually. I used to listen to very loud music when I was younger, if that has any connection. I also have allergies that affect my sinuses. Maybe that too...

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 30560
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#3

Post by mightysparks » February 17th, 2020, 1:55 pm

I get the occasional ringing in my ears but I don't really suffer from it. One of my ex-friends had it (a constant light ringing) and he said he had to listen to music just to not go insane from it. For some reason I've been getting ringing in my ears more often lately, probably 3/4 times a week but it only lasts a minute or so.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 7605
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#4

Post by xianjiro » February 17th, 2020, 3:53 pm

Yeah it's a constant problem that tracks with nerve pain - so when my legs or arms hurt, the ringing generally is worse. Unfortunately my medical plan doesn't cover either diagnosis or treatment. I would say I've had some luck easing symptoms with mircro-dosed marijuana tincture I make at home (legally). I also use a prescription drug for nerve pain, but can't say what affect it has on the tinnitus. I've been taking it so long, it's impossible to remember the baseline, but we just upped the dosage 33% a couple months ago to help with overall pain.

Another thing I believe is related is a strange persistence of taste that can endure hours after whatever I ate or drank. It wouldn't be so terrible except it tends to fuel cravings for whatever I'm ghost-tasting. Strange stuff.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

User avatar
nimimerkillinen
Posts: 2309
Joined: Dec 30, 2011
Location: Vantaa, Finland
Contact:

#5

Post by nimimerkillinen » February 18th, 2020, 8:23 am

peeptoad wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 1:46 pm
Yes, though it's usually mild. It definitely gets worse when I drink alcohol. I have no idea when it started, but at least a decade ago, gradually. I used to listen to very loud music when I was younger, if that has any connection. I also have allergies that affect my sinuses. Maybe that too...
me too, especially concerts and headphones seem to be culprit. sometimes when i wake up it seems multiple times. weird that alcohol makes it worse, i read somewhere when your body is relaxed it is supposed to ease

User avatar
nimimerkillinen
Posts: 2309
Joined: Dec 30, 2011
Location: Vantaa, Finland
Contact:

#6

Post by nimimerkillinen » February 18th, 2020, 8:25 am

mightysparks wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 1:55 pm
I get the occasional ringing in my ears but I don't really suffer from it. One of my ex-friends had it (a constant light ringing) and he said he had to listen to music just to not go insane from it. For some reason I've been getting ringing in my ears more often lately, probably 3/4 times a week but it only lasts a minute or so.
weird that many seem to have those smaller ones these days, cant remember talk about it before as much. woo hippies on internet seem to think its doing with ascension symptoms from 3d to 5d

User avatar
nimimerkillinen
Posts: 2309
Joined: Dec 30, 2011
Location: Vantaa, Finland
Contact:

#7

Post by nimimerkillinen » February 18th, 2020, 8:28 am

xianjiro wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 3:53 pm
Yeah it's a constant problem that tracks with nerve pain - so when my legs or arms hurt, the ringing generally is worse. Unfortunately my medical plan doesn't cover either diagnosis or treatment. I would say I've had some luck easing symptoms with mircro-dosed marijuana tincture I make at home (legally). I also use a prescription drug for nerve pain, but can't say what affect it has on the tinnitus. I've been taking it so long, it's impossible to remember the baseline, but we just upped the dosage 33% a couple months ago to help with overall pain.

Another thing I believe is related is a strange persistence of taste that can endure hours after whatever I ate or drank. It wouldn't be so terrible except it tends to fuel cravings for whatever I'm ghost-tasting. Strange stuff.
sounds awful. i didnt know there is treatment yet besides some noise machine. i wonder might psilocybin or mdma help, for some it seems to help momentarily. ghost-taste sounds strange

User avatar
peeptoad
Posts: 2042
Joined: Feb 04, 2017
Contact:

#8

Post by peeptoad » February 18th, 2020, 1:18 pm

nimimerkillinen wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 8:23 am
weird that alcohol makes it worse, i read somewhere when your body is relaxed it is supposed to ease
It easing with relaxation makes sense; and thus it makes sense that alcohol would worsen it for me since it gives me insomnia and mild anxiety (unless I get drunk, which would mean no anxiety but I act like a fool).
I just looked this up out of curiosity and alcohol apparently increases blood flow to the inner ear which can worsen tinnitus. It also somehow shrinks the auditory cortex, further impacting hearing loss.

Post Reply