Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 5 released June 2nd)
Polls: 1950s (Results), 1935 (Results), 1966 awards (Jun 9th)
Challenges: TSPDT, 1960s, China/Hong Kong/Taiwan
Film of the Week: Údolí vcel, July nominations (Jun 26th)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2A: Poland vs Mexico (Jun 4th), Match 2B: Tajikistan vs Italy (Jun 14th)

How do you think?

How do you think?

In sentences
69%
Using word(s) but not complete sentences
13%
A way that does not involve using words
13%
No inner thought process
6%

Total votes: 16

Cocoa
Donator

How do you think?

Post by Cocoa » February 9th, 2020, 7:09 pm

Not everyone thinks the same way. Some people think in complete sentences, some people think in less words, and some people don't even think using words. How do you think? Assuming you have an inner thought process.

I mainly think in complete sentences. If I'm daydreaming, then I can imagine 3d and 2d objects and colors without my mind trying to form sentences, but that's not how I think when communicating with others or if I'm just thinking in general.

I think mostly in English because it's my first language and the language most commonly spoken in my country, although I do sometimes think in other languages spontaneously but it usually take a few seconds longer for my brain to finish the thought when it happens as there is usually a pause in the sentence once I start to realize I'm doing it.

If I'm speaking to someone in another language, then it depends on whether the other person is speaking words I know fluently or not. If the person is speaking words I'm not familiar with or I don't exactly know how to respond, then my thoughts are usually in that second language then English trying to translate what was said and how to answer, and then thinking back in the second language. If it's a conversation with language I'm fluent with, then I'm usually thinking in that same language while the conversation is taking place.

My inner thoughts are almost always in the first person narrative (I/my/me) from my perspective and sound like my own voice although it doesn't sound exactly like how I hear my voice if I have to listen to a recording of myself or if I hear myself talking in a long conversation. It's much more tolerable hearing my inner voice than a recording of my actual voice. Of course, if I'm thinking about what someone else might say/think/respond, then my thoughts sound like their voice instead of mine if it's supposed to be from their perspective.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » February 9th, 2020, 7:51 pm

I basically always have 2 different thoughts at once. One is my own thoughts, which are always in complete sentences. The other one is my crazy self. 5 second loops of songs, fast whispering or just fast words and noises coming up in the chaos, thoughts that danger is going to happen, thoughts that I have to torture and/or kill people, or them doing it to me, thoughts of having sex with pretty much everyone I crome across, no matter who they are, thoughts that actually make me wince out loud.

I pretty much became a master of multitasking since I had to do my usual thoughts on top of this chaos.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » February 9th, 2020, 9:17 pm

all of the above except the last

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » February 9th, 2020, 10:01 pm

usually sentences, Russian & English interchangeably
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Teproc

Post by Teproc » February 9th, 2020, 11:13 pm

Both sentences and non-verbal (ie the third option), which I would think is true of everyone really.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 10th, 2020, 1:26 am

I’ve never really given it much thought and don’t think it’s particularly unique. I generally think in sentences, almost like a conversation with myself. I get bursts of images and can conjure up quite vivid imagery that I have no physical way of getting out (can’t draw, can’t write descriptively enough). Only speak one language so always English and it’s always my voice, I suppose.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 10th, 2020, 1:29 am

thoughtlessly

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » February 10th, 2020, 4:45 am

I'm slowly started to discover I think weird.

Like if I'm talking or writing, I'll think in sentences. If I'm working on numbers, I think in numbers/math. When I let my thoughts wander, I get random weird flashes, usually thinking about work. So I have to constantly entertain myself, whether it be by movies/TV or singing. Like if I'm cooking/cleaning, I sing constantly just to keep my brain from exploding.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » February 10th, 2020, 4:32 pm

In words mostly - a fair amount of talking to myself and replaying things. Also writing/typing. Sometimes foreign words and quotations intrude (Latin, French, German, Russian, Norwegian).

Also sitting in silence and waiting on the Spirit.

Sometimes in music - a tune will come into my head and when I hook it up with the words they prove relevant. Example: My neighbor has done cleaning and much else for us for over 30 years. Early on, she decided to try another line of work. I felt bereft - then a tune appeared which proved to be a nunc dimittis -- "now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace." I calmed down and she soon decided she'd rather have private clients than work in a restaurant.

For the record, I also dream in words, not pictures. The nonsensical phrases I wake up with have provided fodder for a lot of poems.

Oh yes, and lots of singing. My grandfather tended to converse in song.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

fori

Post by fori » February 10th, 2020, 5:07 pm

I’ve thought about this topic many times. I remember as a kid I had a discussion with a pal at school where I was complaining about how language populated more and more of my thought processes. My feeling on this is that I think slightly less verbally than others, in part because I have internally fought against being overly verbal in my thinking, though I’m not sure why it bothers me so much. Within the language component, I think in at least 95% English, with words, phrases and sentences from Mandarin and Japanese floating around. I also wonder if complex thought is enabled by language, or if it might be possible outside that framework. Could an individual approach philosophy, mathematics etc without building a linguistic framework? What would that be like?

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » February 10th, 2020, 5:23 pm

fori wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 5:07 pm
I also wonder if complex thought is enabled by language, or if it might be possible outside that framework.
From my limited knowledge, this is one of the most important and difficult questions in linguistics and in the history of early humans. I think there have been many theories but no consensus among the experts.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » February 11th, 2020, 1:24 am

blocho wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 5:23 pm
fori wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 5:07 pm
I also wonder if complex thought is enabled by language, or if it might be possible outside that framework.
From my limited knowledge, this is one of the most important and difficult questions in linguistics and in the history of early humans. I think there have been many theories but no consensus among the experts.
Hmm. My autistic daughter finally talked at 4 1/2 after considerable therapy to get her to understand that things can stand for other things.
But she has a gift for spatial relations (98th percentile when tested at 12) and solved rather complex problems in that area before she was 2. She also invented the wedge at 18mo - used the back of her neck to break apart a string of interlocking plastic beads.

She is now an artist. To what extent do artists and musicians think verbally? Mathematicians? People who are good with their hands?
Of course there are alternate symbol systems that aren't verbal.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 11th, 2020, 2:07 am

I still don't know exactly if I'm on the spectrum (though every psych I see gives me that diagnoses within 2 meetings), but I started talking at 2 apparently, and was reading by 3. I suck balls at spatial stuff, though. Language and math was always my strong suit (very out of practice now, but I pick things up quickly when I try again).

I remember reading a bit about the complex thought/language thing when I was studying for my Westworld essay. Pretty interesting area, I've been recently getting interested in the origins of language and consciousness, but hard to find stuff that isn't super dry and beyond me.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » February 11th, 2020, 2:23 pm

mightysparks wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 2:07 am
I still don't know exactly if I'm on the spectrum (though every psych I see gives me that diagnoses within 2 meetings), but I started talking at 2 apparently, and was reading by 3. I suck balls at spatial stuff, though. Language and math was always my strong suit (very out of practice now, but I pick things up quickly when I try again).

I remember reading a bit about the complex thought/language thing when I was studying for my Westworld essay. Pretty interesting area, I've been recently getting interested in the origins of language and consciousness, but hard to find stuff that isn't super dry and beyond me.
When I was in my twenties nobody in the US had heard of autism, let alone Aspergers. Having an Aspie daughter clarified so much about my early struggles, especially in the social realm. If your therapists all think you're on the spectrum, have you tried viewing your experience through that lens?

As I remember about the origin of language, there was the Bow-Wow theory, the Ding-Dong theory, and the Pooh-Pooh theory. That simple enough for you? :D

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 11th, 2020, 3:12 pm

3eyes wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 2:23 pm
mightysparks wrote:

When I was in my twenties nobody in the US had heard of autism, let alone Aspergers. Having an Aspie daughter clarified so much about my early struggles, especially in the social realm. If your therapists all think you're on the spectrum, have you tried viewing your experience through that lens?

As I remember about the origin of language, there was the Bow-Wow theory, the Ding-Dong theory, and the Pooh-Pooh theory. That simple enough for you? :D
Not those kinds of origins :whistling: Although I guess they can be interesting, when I started to talk I called water 'quin'. Who knows what was happening in my brain lol.

And yea, I mean a lot of stuff makes sense if I was an aspie but so did thinking I had schizoid personality disorder. They overlap in a lot of ways, and Idk if I'm one or both, or neither. Almost everything here applies to me: https://www.medicinenet.com/asperger_sy ... rticle.htm. But then some stuff doesn't apply at all. And I don't know if it really matters, so idk.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » February 11th, 2020, 9:18 pm

mightysparks wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 3:12 pm
3eyes wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 2:23 pm
mightysparks wrote:

Not those kinds of origins :whistling: Although I guess they can be interesting, when I started to talk I called water 'quin'. Who knows what was happening in my brain lol.

And yea, I mean a lot of stuff makes sense if I was an aspie but so did thinking I had schizoid personality disorder. They overlap in a lot of ways, and Idk if I'm one or both, or neither. Almost everything here applies to me: https://www.medicinenet.com/asperger_sy ... rticle.htm. But then some stuff doesn't apply at all. And I don't know if it really matters, so idk.
Maybe it doesn't. It can be helpful to self-understanding and/or an excuse used to justify genuinely wrong behavior. That's the trouble with labels.