Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 9 released July 7th)
Polls: 2010s (Results), 1974 (Results), 2019 awards (Jul 11th)
Challenges: Canada, Low Rated, Director
Film of the Week: Vinyan, August nominations (Jul 31st)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2E: Georgia vs Ukraine (Jul 16th)

Poll time: Your job and movies

Can u listen to music and watch movies at work?

Yes, both movies and music =)
21%
Only music =|
42%
No =(
35%
Never had a job, Jah bless =D
2%

Total votes: 48

Armoreska

Poll time: Your job and movies

Post by Armoreska » February 7th, 2020, 2:33 pm

Does your current job allow to listen to music and watch movies (substantial amounts) during work hours? (past job if currently jobless)
*full question bc of char limits

What else to post here...
here's a couple of articles I just googled up
https://www.chieflearningofficer.com/20 ... x-at-work/
https://business.linkedin.com/en-uk/mar ... ood-or-bad
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 7th, 2020, 2:36 pm

I wish. We technically sometimes listen to music because some stores have music playing, but it’s forced upon me not chosen.

Edit: Should've mentioned it's impossible to watch films at my job because we're constantly on the move and working. There's no downtime or sitting around.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » February 7th, 2020, 2:47 pm

Always with a movie on the left.

Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 » February 7th, 2020, 3:11 pm

BBB : Great Keyboard !!

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » February 7th, 2020, 3:18 pm

No. Not necessarily because someone would bring the hammer down, but because ~70% of my job involves running around fixing broken anesthetic equipment, tending to animals, training, and teaching classes.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » February 7th, 2020, 3:28 pm

peeptoad wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 3:18 pm
No. Not necessarily because someone would bring the hammer down, but because ~70% of my job involves running around fixing broken anesthetic equipment, tending to animals, training, and teaching classes.
Sounds intense. What are the animals for?
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » February 7th, 2020, 3:30 pm

Armoreska wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 3:28 pm
peeptoad wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 3:18 pm
Sounds intense. What are the animals for?
You probably don't want to know... but it is regulated.

Coryn

Post by Coryn » February 7th, 2020, 3:37 pm

My bet is you ride ostriches because there's a lot of road to be covered between the anesthetic equipment you need to repair.
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » February 7th, 2020, 3:41 pm

I could theoretically put on a film during work without people complaining, but that'd be a disservice to the film as I wouldn't be able to give it my full attention. Music is no problem at all though.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » February 7th, 2020, 3:49 pm

Onderhond wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 3:41 pm
I could theoretically put on a film during work without people complaining, but that'd be a disservice to the film as I wouldn't be able to give it my full attention. Music is no problem at all though.
I mostly used to watch TV, usually something that's throwaway.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » February 7th, 2020, 4:03 pm

Yeah, I've done that before, but that's closer to listening to the radio and picking out some video fragments that sound interesting. Can't imagine "watching" films like that though (but I realize some people do it, I've once heard it as a pro-dub argument).

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » February 7th, 2020, 4:19 pm

Coryn wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 3:37 pm
My bet is you ride ostriches because there's a lot of road to be covered between the anesthetic equipment you need to repair.
:thumbsup:

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » February 7th, 2020, 7:41 pm

While teaching......... of course not.
In between I have "spare time", but that time that I need to finish everything that comes along with teaching (preparations, grading,......). So when I don't have a class I could just watch a movie and nobody would complain, but if that means my classes and tutoring will go down in quality, very soon people start complaining. I just need all the time at work to finish everything that has to be done and there no way I could watch a movie while doing stuff like that. Imagine grading a test while watching a movie. My work would be full of mistakes and students would start complaining about points they didn't get etc...

Listening to music on the other hand is something I always do when I'm working by myself. It actually helps to turn off the background of colleagues chatting around me, so I can concentrate better on my own work. I also work faster while listening to music.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

tazz_85

Post by tazz_85 » February 7th, 2020, 7:47 pm

I have a fulltime job, working monday->friday 8h a day, so i only have time in the evening to watch movies
during work hours, i'm basically all the time working on pc. I sometimes listen to music while working (like Joachim said in the post above me, it turns off the chatter of colleagues around me) but watching movies is not done in an open work environment.
And it would be difficult for me too, to focus on my work :)

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » February 7th, 2020, 7:54 pm

Music yes, and i do for part of the day but I'd feel too cut off from colleagues + what else is going on, if i kept headphones on all day. Movies, nah.

fori

Post by fori » February 8th, 2020, 1:13 am

When working I’m often on the go between places, so plenty of chances for music

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » February 8th, 2020, 5:44 pm

I'm full-time remote, and long as I get my work done, no one cares.

I'll listen to music occasionally, but I'm not really into music, so that's atypical. When I'm doing relatively mindless work, I'll throw on a movie, almost always a talking heads documentary where I can learn from it by listening and occasionally glancing over when the sound/peripheral vision tells me to.

shugs
Donator

Post by shugs » February 8th, 2020, 8:22 pm

Watching movies, no way. I'd get fired in an instant.
Thankfully I can throw some music on my headphones, though it's more background noise than an active listening experience.

burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan » February 9th, 2020, 2:14 am

I work from home nearly all the time, and as long as I get my work done, everyone's happy. I usually start my work 3-4 hours earlier than office hours routinely start (who needs sleep, anyway!?), so I often have plenty of afternoon/evening time to myself. I also have stretches where I'm just sitting waiting for data to process, so I can watch as I wait... I'll have a new boss in June, so things may change then, but right now, my set-up is pretty great.

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » February 10th, 2020, 1:05 pm

Sadly, I give my full attention to whatever I do, so I'm unable to watch a movie and do my work at the same time. Also, I have to meet all sorts of people during office hours, and my office is open to my crew, so I would never have the peace of mind to watch or listen to anything, with so many people interrupting me all the time...

However, I sometimes have to come back to work on week-ends or stay late in the evening, for tasks that require not being interrupted. Then I often get to listen to music, which helps me concentrate on my work. I don't really pay attention to it, though...

Mothravka

Post by Mothravka » March 14th, 2020, 2:26 pm

I mostly sit by a computer at work (and at times stand and operate a machine), so listening to music with headphones is no problem. We sometimes have a podcasts/radio on in the background when there's few of us there.

Watching movies would be a big no. There's work to be done and it would be hard doing both. There's not so much downtime when one doesn't do anything and I also doubt my bosses would deem it appropriate.

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » March 16th, 2020, 9:17 pm

joachimt wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 7:41 pm
While teaching......... of course not.
In between I have "spare time", but that time that I need to finish everything that comes along with teaching (preparations, grading,......). So when I don't have a class I could just watch a movie and nobody would complain, but if that means my classes and tutoring will go down in quality, very soon people start complaining. I just need all the time at work to finish everything that has to be done and there no way I could watch a movie while doing stuff like that. Imagine grading a test while watching a movie. My work would be full of mistakes and students would start complaining about points they didn't get etc...
Eh.. I'm found a few interesting shorts I can integrate in.

For instance:
A Boy and his Atom - The World's Smallest Movie:
Becoming -

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 17th, 2020, 6:41 am

I've shown A Boy and His Atom several times in class. Also shown Powers of Ten multiple times. I teach physics.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

tazz_85

Post by tazz_85 » May 31st, 2020, 10:11 pm

tazz_85 wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 7:47 pm
I have a fulltime job, working monday->friday 8h a day, so i only have time in the evening to watch movies
during work hours, i'm basically all the time working on pc. I sometimes listen to music while working (like Joachim said in the post above me, it turns off the chatter of colleagues around me) but watching movies is not done in an open work environment.
Since March 13th, i'm working from home. I'm an IT guy (software tester) so i can perfectly do everything from home.
But before, as a Belgian i had to go to the office every single day in horrible Belgian traffic, which to me is very stressful tbh.
And now, i haven't seen my colleagues IRL since nearly 3 months, and the same work still is done at the end of the week :huh:
I wonder what will happen to those expensive office spaces which are actually empty since 3 months :huh:

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » June 1st, 2020, 1:36 am

I'm unable to hold down a job due to health issues, but I can watch and listen to stuff while I write.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » June 1st, 2020, 4:10 pm

tazz_85 wrote:
May 31st, 2020, 10:11 pm
tazz_85 wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 7:47 pm
Since March 13th, i'm working from home. I'm an IT guy (software tester) so i can perfectly do everything from home.
But before, as a Belgian i had to go to the office every single day in horrible Belgian traffic, which to me is very stressful tbh.
And now, i haven't seen my colleagues IRL since nearly 3 months, and the same work still is done at the end of the week :huh:
I wonder what will happen to those expensive office spaces which are actually empty since 3 months :huh:
Hopefully a new normal will result from this, which will include more remote work on a global scale, since commuting can be stressful, expensive and time consuming... not to mention dirty.