Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Favorite Movies (Results), 1945 (Results), 1929 awards (Apr 4th), South Asia (Apr 25th), Doubling the Canon (Ratings Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Nordic, 1950s
Film of the Week: The Music of Chance, May nominations (May 1st)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1F: Brazil vs Greece vs Japan vs Poland (Apr 5th), 1G: Germany vs Pakistan vs Ukraine vs USA (Apr 22nd)

Vegan recipes thread

nimimerkillinen

Vegan recipes thread

Post by nimimerkillinen » December 28th, 2019, 10:01 pm

what are some of your favourite recipes?

i cook rarely and with not much variety. made some celery with five spice, olive oil, soy sauce and peanutbutter to side + nutritional yeast. was ok

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » December 28th, 2019, 10:20 pm

liked this one and was pretty easy. gotta work on even slicing tho

fori

Post by fori » December 29th, 2019, 1:41 am

My favourite dish that I have regularly is called “you po mian” (油泼面). It’s a handmade noodle dish popular in Northern China. The steps are as follows:

1. Make a large piece of dough around 1kg (or more) in size. Make sure to add a few teaspoons of salt before mixing the water into the flour. Don’t make it with too much water, the dough needs to be on the drier side. Knead it until smooth. After finishing, leave it for 30-40 mins in something airtight.
2. After the time is up, split the dough into 8 cylindrical pieces (can be more If you made a large one). Coat the pieces in oil and leave airtight for another half hour.
3. When you return, stretch the pieces into long wide noodles without breaking them. They should only be a couple of millimetres thick.
4. Boil the the noodles in some already boiling water. Put in some cut up wombok and other veggies of your choice (I usually use bok choy). Boil for 5 or so minutes.
Finely chop up half the cloves of a medium garlic in the meantime.
5. Drain the noodles. Start cooking about half a cup of oil in a pan at high temp. Put chopped garlic and dried chili flakes on top. When the oil is really hot, pour it onto the garlic and chili, thus cooking the whole dish. Add soy sauce and unsweetened black vinegar. Mix thoroughly.

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » December 29th, 2019, 10:23 pm

^cheers! seems like challenging but worth trying

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » December 30th, 2019, 2:11 pm

vegan blue cheese dressing: https://lovingitvegan.com/vegan-blue-cheese-dressing/

... it's very tasty on Quorn "chicken" nuggets, vegetables, and French fries.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 6th, 2020, 10:36 am

Posted these before, but: https://www.feastingonfruit.com/vegan-cosmic-brownies/

Best brownies I've ever had. Amazing.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » January 6th, 2020, 5:41 pm

I like those that take as little time/ingredients as possible but produce large amounts of the most palatable food :P
So putting pumpkin into everything and cooking for 10 minutes.

I'm currently testing ginger root with legumes (apparently that offsets raffinose gas).
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 7th, 2020, 7:42 am

Tonight's dinner, Sesame Ginger Tofu stirfry with soba noodles and veg (carrots, mushroom, broccoli and spring onion):

I love stirfry. For 4 servings, I used 300g firm tofu, 270g soba noodles, 2 carrots, half a broccoli, 100g of mushrooms, 1 spring onion. Boiled the broccoli coz I like it better that way, boiled the noodles in the same water after. I used this sauce and pretty much just followed these steps with the order I cooked everything else: https://www.thissavoryvegan.com/sesame- ... ispy-tofu/ though, as usual, the sauce was quite mild tasting in the final bowl and I added another 1/2 tablespoon of soy sauce to each bowl which helped bump up the taste a lot.

I decided to try making the tofu bigger to see how that affected texture and sauce absorption but it didn't seem to make much difference (though it was easier and nicer to cook). I forgot to coat it in cornstarch first but it turned out ok. The stirfry was really good, though I still haven't worked out how to make perfect tofu.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » January 9th, 2020, 12:03 am

Loosely inspired by rijsttafel, I make brown rice with a sauce of curried lentils and top it with chopped fruits, raw veggies, nuts, etc. One can turn it into a potluck by making rice and/or lentils and asking others to bring the toppings. (There could be non-vegan toppings for those who want them.)
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 4th, 2020, 4:03 pm

I will share something I've made at least 15 times over the past 30 years - this is a lot for me as I rarely make the same thing very often (apart from totally lazy fast food type shit). It's from Jeff Smith's The Frugal Gourmet Cooks With Wine and it's called "Eggplant Chinese Style" there though I've seen similar recipes listed as Szechwan Eggplant elsewhere. Very simple and easy - several ingredient but they all should be easy to find just about anywhere. I have most of Smith's cookbooks - around here I see them all the time at Goodwill and the library for $1-2 and while he has many flaws - his chatty style can be grating and he nearly always uses too much salt - they are good general "starter" cookbooks. Obviously not primarily vegan or vegetarian but there are usually plenty of recipes for any diet. This is slightly modified as I can't usually find "sweet bean paste".

Eggplant (about 500-750 grams)
Scallions (around 4) chopped
Garlic (I use 3-6 cloves, depending on size & potency; you want this fairly garlicky but not overpoweringly)
toasted sesame oil

SAUCE - just mix this shit all together

15 ml (1 tablespoon) red chili paste - the standard Thai variety works; most Chinese versions I've seen have shrimp paste
15 ml red chili paste with garlic
15 ml soy sauce
15 ml hot bean sauce
10-15 ml brown sugar or maple syrup
15 ml dry sherry
5 ml grated ginger

Skin or at least partly-skin (I like to leave some of the skin on, but leaving most of it usually gives a burnt/smoky character that doesn't work here) the eggplant, chop into roughly 1 1/2 cm cubes, salt and let drain for 1/2 hour to 45 minutes; rinse and let drain for an equal time.

Heat a wok medium-hot to hot. Heat 10-20 ml of oil - while sesame is an integral part of the flavor, I find using all sesame is too much, so I put just a bit of sesame in with canola or safflower oil, whatever I have. Throw in the eggplant and garlic, stir-fry for roughly 10 minutes, then mix in the sauce, let it bubble & sizzle for just a minute or two, throw in the scallions, mix around, lower the heat to low-medium for maybe 3-5 minutes, then drizzle with a bit of sesame oil and serve with rice. You could also throw on some toasted sesame seeds and/or fresh cilantro to jazz it up.

As I make it this is pretty hot; I made it hotter once with a few habañero peppers thrown in but that really didn't improve the dish to my taste, I like this moderately hot but not overwhelming.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » February 5th, 2020, 1:47 am

Almond ricotta: https://minimalistbaker.com/whipped-alm ... gredients/
I had baked ziti today, made with almond ricotta, and it was good.

Black bean walnut burgers: https://www.connoisseurusveg.com/black- ... t-burgers/
This is the best bean burger recipe that I've tried so far (I think I've tried about 3 or 4).

Peanut Butter Tempeh - The No Meat Athlete
My favorite tempeh recipe so far (I've only tried about 2, so maybe there are better tempeh recipes out there).

sebby

Post by sebby » February 5th, 2020, 9:34 am

Quick breakfast: Find your largest spoon. Scoop out a big glob of unsweetened vegan yogurt out of a tub. Squirt some date syrup on there. Put a blueberry on there. Put your mouth on there. Done.

I may or may not have done this recently I dunno who can say

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » February 22nd, 2020, 1:10 pm

Kale & Cannellini soup

2 T. olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 leek, white part only, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 t. dried thyme
1/4 t. red pepper flakes
salt & pepper
4 cups vegetable broth
1-2 cups water, if needed, or to taste
2 cups cooked cannellini beans (or 1 15 oz can, not drained or rinsed)
1 t. lemon juice
1 large bunch of kale, stems removed, cut into pieces, or a container of baby kale (what I used)
1/4 cup white wine

sautee olive oil, onion, celery and leek, 6-8 minutes (until soft)
add garlic, thyme, pepper flakes, salt and pepper and cook 3-4 minutes more
add broth, water, beans, and simmer for 15 minutes
stir in lemon juice, wine and kale and cook another 5-10 minutes until kale is wilted

I made this about 2 weeks ago on a night that was rainy and cold; ate it with crusty bread and vino... :wub: