Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

Intoxicated Thread aka Drunk Posting Thread

xianjiro
Donator

Intoxicated Thread aka Drunk Posting Thread

Post by xianjiro » January 26th, 2018, 7:32 am

maxwelldeux on Jan 25 2018, 11:15:16 PM wrote:The past 24 hours have been weird and sad - I watched Amour (2012) last night, and the whole film struck way too close to home for me. Then, this morning, I woke up to find out that my good friends' dog passed away, a dog that I babysat and really enjoyed playing with and snuggling when at their house. So between the movie, the dog, and feeling bad for my friends, I've spent far too much time crying the past 24 hours or so.

Solution? Whiskey, weed, and wacky cinema. Starting with Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966). #science

And on a related note, I've decided to start annoying my wife by saying "hashtag" a lot. She's not on board with this plan. tehe
prescription? more whiskey and weed -_-

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » January 26th, 2018, 7:36 am

xianjiro on Jan 26 2018, 12:32:57 AM wrote:
maxwelldeux on Jan 25 2018, 11:15:16 PM wrote:The past 24 hours have been weird and sad - I watched Amour (2012) last night, and the whole film struck way too close to home for me. Then, this morning, I woke up to find out that my good friends' dog passed away, a dog that I babysat and really enjoyed playing with and snuggling when at their house. So between the movie, the dog, and feeling bad for my friends, I've spent far too much time crying the past 24 hours or so.

Solution? Whiskey, weed, and wacky cinema. Starting with Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966). #science

And on a related note, I've decided to start annoying my wife by saying "hashtag" a lot. She's not on board with this plan. tehe
prescription? more whiskey and weed -_-
#YouAreGoodAtSales #AreYouADoctor

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » February 18th, 2018, 11:47 am

Two film-related thoughts (in the order in which they were thought), plus a bonus:

1. Holy crap - I have been watching a lot of old movies lately. Most of them from the 1960s. What is going on? This is weird - I normally don't cluster films like that.
2. Oh yeah - there's a 1960s challenge going on.

Bonus: Why the hell is my street so light? This is weird and unusual. Options in decreasing order of probability...
a) There's a cop car outside my house.
b) There's a car with bright headlights outside my house.
c) The streetlight suddenly got really bright.
d) Did they install a new streetlight to help prevent people driving into the ditch across the street?
e) Aliens.

Answer? Snow, oddly enough. Snow.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » February 18th, 2018, 9:02 pm

maxwelldeux on Feb 18 2018, 04:47:46 AM wrote:Two film-related thoughts (in the order in which they were thought), plus a bonus:

1. Holy crap - I have been watching a lot of old movies lately. Most of them from the 1960s. What is going on? This is weird - I normally don't cluster films like that.

Bonus: Why the hell is my street so light? This is weird and unusual. Options in decreasing order of probability...
d) Did they install a new streetlight to help prevent people driving into the ditch across the street?
e) Aliens.

Yep - snow is alien. We had HUGE flakes in the wee hours - like half-dollar sized. But now it's just wet out. There is some snow in places the sun didn't get, but it's super wet and slushy. Think we spent all but a couple hours 33 and over. And the low was only 32. They are talking more snow sometime today though.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » February 18th, 2018, 10:23 pm

xianjiro on Feb 18 2018, 02:02:24 PM wrote:
maxwelldeux on Feb 18 2018, 04:47:46 AM wrote:Two film-related thoughts (in the order in which they were thought), plus a bonus:

e) Aliens.

Yep - snow is alien. We had HUGE flakes in the wee hours - like half-dollar sized. But now it's just wet out. There is some snow in places the sun didn't get, but it's super wet and slushy. Think we spent all but a couple hours 33 and over. And the low was only 32. They are talking more snow sometime today though.
I've lived in the area 4 years now, and this is only the second or third time we've had snow stick around more than a couple hours. It's just so unexpected, it didn't even register as a possibility.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » February 18th, 2018, 11:25 pm

maxwelldeux on Feb 18 2018, 03:23:10 PM wrote:
xianjiro on Feb 18 2018, 02:02:24 PM wrote:

e) Aliens.

I've lived in the area 4 years now, and this is only the second or third time we've had snow stick around more than a couple hours. It's just so unexpected, it didn't even register as a possibility.
oh goddesses and imps! It's been all they've talked about for close to a week down here - though it's always been clear snow on the valley floor would be minimal and it has been. But the worry is that the commute tomorrow will be icy - at least traffic will be lighter.

worst part of it is the dog's cold and wants to be on the sofa with me - there isn't a lot of room for both of us :P poor old thing - it's impossible to say no and tell her she has to lay those ancient bones on the cold floor.

sol can find me here

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » April 20th, 2018, 12:45 am

Um, so is anyone planning any film watching specifically for the "holiday" tomorrow?

Wife and I have reserved Up in Smoke for tomorrow. May get to some others, but that's the only one we're specifically planning for...

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » April 20th, 2018, 1:08 am

Oh shit it's tomorrow. Haven't done it in a few months but I think I'll do it tomorrow.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

RateYourMusic | ICheckMovies | Letterboxd

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » April 20th, 2018, 6:52 am

Yesterday was https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... ycle%20Day
Any of you participated? I would like to some day but im not in condition for a few years at least

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 20th, 2018, 8:01 am

meh, holiday - it's 4:20 twice each day - why wait?

sol can find me here

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » April 20th, 2018, 2:34 pm

Jaysus, I feel completely out of touch, I did a bit of research and apparently 20 April is National Weed Day and 21st is National Sex Day.

And whilst I get "4:20" I only found out about that one last week.

This year is the first year of my life where when I hear people speak, I often get the feeling I have no idea what they're talking about.

Wait a sec... maybe that means I'm finally in a place where I'm qualified to be a politician!!
Last edited by matthewscott8 on April 20th, 2018, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » April 20th, 2018, 2:53 pm

xianjiro on Apr 20 2018, 02:01:43 AM wrote:meh, holiday - it's 4:20 twice each day - why wait?
Science! :thumbsup: :banana:

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » April 21st, 2018, 6:03 am

Well, I figured I should check back in here, since I bumped the thread. Here's a rundown of my holiday...

- Perhaps a bit of a troubling start to the day, I woke up with a sprained ankle. Which was confusing, since I went to bed perfectly fine and without injury. Best I can figure, I got into a kickboxing match with my blanket last night, and lost. Limping all day. Ibuprofen all day. Must be getting old... :pinch:

- Work. Talked about Star Wars at work. Typical Friday.

- Mystery Team (2009, Dan Eckman): By the time I got to this one, I was already celebrating the holiday today. And you know what? I found this weirdly engaging. For me, it was a film all about juxtaposition. You had some immature "crime solvers", similar to the Scooby Doo gang or the Hardy Boys, or some very young adult mystery fiction, solving cases like "who stuck their finger in Mrs. X's pie?" and what not. You also had a grown-up conspiracy and murder, the likes of which you might find in a Law and Order type series. And these two opposing genres played off each other in a hilarious manner - it was one of the few movies I've seen where the scene at the strip club was a genuine plot device that advanced the film and characters. I was really surprised at how much I liked it.

- Video games with the wife. Dr. Mario for the original NES, to be precise.

- Up In Smoke (1978, Lou Adler/Tommy Chong): Wife and I were well into the intended state of mind before we got to this, and I was underwhelmed. There were a lot of funny moments, but it seemed much more forgettable than classic.

- Dinner: Bison bacon burgers. 3 parts bison, 1 part bacon. Seasoned and grilled with pepperjack cheese. I may be biased, but this ended up being amazing.

- Community, S2 (3 episodes): I'm in the sweet spot of Community. Wife and I are rewatching this, and enjoying every minute of it. I mentioned this elsewhere, but I'm getting more out of it this time around, as I'm understanding more and more of the references they make in the series. So much fun.

- Forum time. You're caught up to present.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 21st, 2018, 6:14 am

I don't think I've been sober in like 3 days. I get really depressed when it's 'that time of month', and I can't stay sober long enough so my head has just been a blur. Good timing for 4/20 I guess lol.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » June 23rd, 2018, 8:56 am

is it true that Canada is the highest country in the world ...
Spoiler: click to toggleShow
latitude wise?

sol can find me here

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » June 23rd, 2018, 9:10 am

xianjiro on Jun 23 2018, 02:56:06 AM wrote:is it true that Canada is the highest country in the world ...
latitude wise?
No, it's Denmark.
Greenland (Denmark) – Kaffeklubben Island

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » July 5th, 2018, 6:45 am

Well, because 'Murica, Wife and I have a tradition to watch a "patriotic" movie on July 4th. It's often Team America: World Police, but this year, we went with a movie with "America" in the title. After a rigorous selection process, we ended up deciding on "American Pie".

But we'd both seen this multiple times, so we had to further 'Murica and drink cheap beer. And play this: http://www.studentdrinkinggames.com/tv- ... n-pie.html

This is just to provide context for pretty much everything else I say on this forum before I go to bed. :whistling:

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » August 13th, 2018, 3:54 am

As a scientist, I was curious to test this phenomenon:

Jim Tomsula Says To Put Salt In Your Cheap Beer And Change Your Life

And as I happened to have both a) a cheap beer, and b) salt in my house, I embarked upon an experiment.

Method
I grabbed a Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve, a pale lager not dissimilar from the PBR mentioned in the original article (Thompson, 2018). I opened the can and poured the beer into a pint glass, being careful to leave approximately 1 inch (2.5 cm) of head on the top. Then, I measured out what many would consider to be a pinch of Himalayan pink salt, and threw "a pinch of salt into that fucker" (Thompson, 2018, p. 1). I noted the visual consequences of this procedure. Finally, I grabbed the pint glass with my left hand, tipped it up to my mouth hole, consumed the beverage, and recorded my subjective taste responses to the salted beer.

Results
When the salt was thrown into the beer, it largely stayed on the top of the beer (confirmed through the use of pink salt vs a white head background). However, some salt did make it through to the beer, and began an immediate process of removing the CO2 from the beer. This caused an increase in head formation largely offset by the dissipation of the head that naturally occurs over time; the result was a consistently thick head that lasted far longer than a typical beer.

The taste, however, was subpar compared with a standard unaltered pale lager. On a scale from "root beer" (the worst-tasting substance in the universe) to "every food you've ever eaten high" (the best-tasting substances in the universe), centered at "standard unaltered pale lager", the overall flavor was about 5% of the way towards "root beer". The flavor was definitely a bit salty, but lacked the expected acidic flavor you get from the carbonation.

Discussion
Shit sucks, yo. Drink your beer normally. Also, Jim Tomsula should lose his job as an NFL coach for advocating such a ridiculous treatment of beer. I mean, if he wanted to beat his wife or run a dogfighting ring, sure - keep your job. But you have to draw a line SOMEWHERE... :circle:

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » August 13th, 2018, 5:03 am

The sacrifices we make for science. And to think that all this wouldn't even be needed if you just drank a quality beer to begin with. :cheers:
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » August 13th, 2018, 5:55 am

Knaldskalle wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 5:03 am
The sacrifices we make for science. And to think that all this wouldn't even be needed if you just drank a quality beer to begin with. :cheers:
Hehehe... I'm usually good on quality beer. But sometimes, $8 US for an 18-pack is just to hard to pass up. Then again, $25 US on a 4-pack of Founder KBS is hard to pass up, too.

More importantly, though, I'm not sure you understand the theoretical significance of this post. Perhaps if I tried to publish it under the title "Testing the Tomsula Hypothesis: An Empirical Examination of the Effects of the Addition of a Pinch of Himalayan Sodium-Choride-Dominant Salt to 12 Ounces of an American Light Lager"

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » August 13th, 2018, 7:09 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 3:54 am
As a scientist, I was curious to test this phenomenon:

Jim Tomsula Says To Put Salt In Your Cheap Beer And Change Your Life

And as I happened to have both a) a cheap beer, and b) salt in my house, I embarked upon an experiment.

Method
I grabbed a Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve, a pale lager not dissimilar from the PBR mentioned in the original article (Thompson, 2018). I opened the can and poured the beer into a pint glass, being careful to leave approximately 1 inch (2.5 cm) of head on the top. Then, I measured out what many would consider to be a pinch of Himalayan pink salt, and threw "a pinch of salt into that fucker" (Thompson, 2018, p. 1). I noted the visual consequences of this procedure. Finally, I grabbed the pint glass with my left hand, tipped it up to my mouth hole, consumed the beverage, and recorded my subjective taste responses to the salted beer.

Results
When the salt was thrown into the beer, it largely stayed on the top of the beer (confirmed through the use of pink salt vs a white head background). However, some salt did make it through to the beer, and began an immediate process of removing the CO2 from the beer. This caused an increase in head formation largely offset by the dissipation of the head that naturally occurs over time; the result was a consistently thick head that lasted far longer than a typical beer.

The taste, however, was subpar compared with a standard unaltered pale lager. On a scale from "root beer" (the worst-tasting substance in the universe) to "every food you've ever eaten high" (the best-tasting substances in the universe), centered at "standard unaltered pale lager", the overall flavor was about 5% of the way towards "root beer". The flavor was definitely a bit salty, but lacked the expected acidic flavor you get from the carbonation.

Discussion
Shit sucks, yo. Drink your beer normally. Also, Jim Tomsula should lose his job as an NFL coach for advocating such a ridiculous treatment of beer. I mean, if he wanted to beat his wife or run a dogfighting ring, sure - keep your job. But you have to draw a line SOMEWHERE... :circle:
Guess you too want to pick a fight with Mexico. :angry: There is a right way to drink TECATE por el amor de Dios.

You got a problem with bloody beer too I take it?!? :guns:

Geesh! :cheers: Next thing you're going to tell me depth charges are against natural law or some shit. :cowbow:

sol can find me here

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » August 13th, 2018, 9:44 pm

xianjiro wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 7:09 am
Guess you too want to pick a fight with Mexico. :angry: There is a right way to drink TECATE por el amor de Dios.

You got a problem with bloody beer too I take it?!? :guns:

Geesh! :cheers: Next thing you're going to tell me depth charges are against natural law or some shit. :cowbow:
Future research is needed to determine the generalizability of this finding and whether it extends to related drinks that include salt in addition to other drinks.

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » August 14th, 2018, 9:29 am

I admire your scientific approach of important life issues. I think I'll try this with shitty beer as well, because N=1 is N is none, right?
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » August 14th, 2018, 10:54 pm

Gershwin wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 9:29 am
I admire your scientific approach of important life issues. I think I'll try this with shitty beer as well, because N=1 is N is none, right?
As always, we encourage direct replications of these findings, especially to increase sample size and statistical power. Furthermore, indirect replications, using different cheap lagers and/or different salts helps create boundary conditions for this effect.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » August 15th, 2018, 2:20 am

idk, shouldn't you set up a double-blind, fully randomized trial?

sol can find me here

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » August 15th, 2018, 5:50 am

xianjiro wrote:
August 15th, 2018, 2:20 am
idk, shouldn't you set up a double-blind, fully randomized trial?
Certainly, a double-blind randomized control would be the gold standard; but until such time as appropriate funding can be secured to run such a trial, we can use cross-sectional and/or self-report studies to gain further insight into the underlying theory and to inform future research methodology.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » September 1st, 2018, 8:45 pm

We ran out of weed a couple days ago and last night I was feeling a bit triggery so when my boyfriend came home with alcohol I kind of drank most of it (had enough calories left over :whistling: ). I was a drunken mess falling over and laughing at everything lol. Always been a lightweight but haven’t had any alcohol for some time. Though I just woke up in the middle of the night and my belly hurts and feels full of nasty liquid so now slight regret.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

Hunziker
Donator

Post by Hunziker » September 1st, 2018, 10:25 pm

mightysparks wrote:
September 1st, 2018, 8:45 pm
We ran out of weed a couple days ago and last night I was feeling a bit triggery so when my boyfriend came home with alcohol I kind of drank most of it (had enough calories left over :whistling: ). I was a drunken mess falling over and laughing at everything lol. Always been a lightweight but haven’t had any alcohol for some time. Though I just woke up in the middle of the night and my belly hurts and feels full of nasty liquid so now slight regret.
Everything sounds like logical conclusions of the first five words, if you ask me :P

Changed weedman this week. Either the previous one was overcharging me or the new guy is brilliant at marketing and gave me much better stuff than I paid for, cause I've smoked a third of what I usually do and I've been giddy to the point of making life a comic series of social ineptitudes.
This is the voice of world control.

iCM -Twitter
ImageImage

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » September 11th, 2018, 2:54 am

How Do Marijuana Strains And Doses Affect Depression And Anxiety? A New Study Looks For Answers
When the researchers examined changes in symptoms experienced over time, they found little change for anxiety and stress, but a significant increase in depression symptoms. That outcome lines up with previous studies showing similar results, indicating an initial, and fleeting, masking of symptoms. Quoting from the study: “This is consistent with recent evidence indicating that using cannabis to cope with distress is associated with more cannabis-related problems and increased symptoms of depression.”
Doesn't seem to be all that different from anecdotal outcomes of legal pharmaceuticals.

sol can find me here

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » September 27th, 2018, 7:23 am

Through a weird series of events, my wife acquired a toilet night light - it senses when you enter the bathroom and illuminates the toilet bowl. She put it in the guest bathroom to help out our (please sit down - this is shocking) guests. All of this is cool.

The problem now is that when the bathroom door is open, the toilet bowl flashes when I walk down the hall. And I imagine it speaking to me as HAL 9000 saying "Hello maxwelldeux"

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » September 27th, 2018, 9:30 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
September 27th, 2018, 7:23 am
Through a weird series of events, my wife acquired a toilet night light - it senses when you enter the bathroom and illuminates the toilet bowl. She put it in the guest bathroom to help out our (please sit down - this is shocking) guests. All of this is cool.

The problem now is that when the bathroom door is open, the toilet bowl flashes when I walk down the hall. And I imagine it speaking to me as HAL 9000 saying "Hello maxwelldeux"
First you say to sit down, presumably on the toilet, but then you go on to say that the toilet is potentially haunted by a spooky AI. No thanks!

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » September 27th, 2018, 9:47 am

funkybusiness wrote:
September 27th, 2018, 9:30 am
maxwelldeux wrote:

First you say to sit down, presumably on the toilet, but then you go on to say that the toilet is potentially haunted by a spooky AI. No thanks!
hey, as long as it's not haunted by a webcam ...

sol can find me here

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » September 27th, 2018, 9:50 am

xianjiro wrote:
September 27th, 2018, 9:47 am
funkybusiness wrote:
maxwelldeux wrote:

AI: "I can't see shit!"
xian: "Yeah, that's the point."

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » September 27th, 2018, 10:22 am

funkybusiness wrote:
September 27th, 2018, 9:50 am
xianjiro wrote:
September 27th, 2018, 9:47 am
funkybusiness wrote:

AI: "I can't see shit!"
xian: "Yeah, that's the point."
we laugh, but friends have installed cams in their house that is immediately sent to his cell. I'm not sure where all the cams are, but he showed me video taken of me and my dog as we were walking down the sidewalk. I'm guessing the bathroom, being situated in the center of the house, is not especially interesting for such a security device. Didn't ask if the bedrooms also had such cams (windows) nor if he'd ever heard of hackers. I did say I found the whole thing rather creepy. That's what you get from a Luddite meeting applied IoT.

sol can find me here

RBG

Post by RBG » September 27th, 2018, 10:39 am

i know a couple of men who have their houses wired like this to keep an eye on their girlfriends. not even kidding
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » September 27th, 2018, 4:09 pm

I so believe you

sol can find me here

kathulu

Post by kathulu » October 1st, 2018, 10:46 pm

I just drank myself silly on airplane/airport and I can't stop reading and posting in this forum plz send help (i really need to go to bed but it's too much fun)

Cinematic history journey: https://twitter.com/Katlovesmovies1

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 2nd, 2018, 2:04 am

kathulu wrote:
October 1st, 2018, 10:46 pm
I just drank myself silly on airplane/airport and I can't stop reading and posting in this forum plz send help (i really need to go to bed but it's too much fun)
I see no problem here...

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » October 9th, 2018, 5:02 am

My dad randomly gave me $100 to go to a buffet at the casino with my bf and we decided to get a cocktail. I’m barely half done with it and already drunk. And it’s 1pm lol. Idk if I can even walk straight after I stand up.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 9th, 2018, 6:05 am

mightysparks wrote:
October 9th, 2018, 5:02 am
My dad randomly gave me $100 to go to a buffet at the casino with my bf and we decided to get a cocktail. I’m barely half done with it and already drunk. And it’s 1pm lol. Idk if I can even walk straight after I stand up.
That's called "business drunk" and it means you're practicing for making it big time. Keep on this path and you'll achieve unfathomable levels of success!