Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 16 released September 13th)
Polls: Romance (Results), 1951 (Results), 500<400 (Sep 23rd), 2008 (Oct 4th)
Challenges: Animation, Silent Era, Russia/USSR
Film of the Week: L'inhumaine, October nominations (Sep 25th)
World Cup S4: QF Schedule, Match QFB: India vs Greece (Sep 20th), Match QFC: Germany vs Italy (Oct 1st)

Intoxicated Thread aka Drunk Posting Thread

maxwelldeux
Donator

Re: Intoxicated Thread aka Drunk Posting Thread

Post by maxwelldeux » January 21st, 2020, 5:55 am

xianjiro wrote:
January 20th, 2020, 11:02 pm
yeah, when I visit friends and they have the TV on, or I use a browser without ad-blocking, it's amazing how pervasive advertising is. I find two things incredibly annoying: flashing on webpages and the noise of advertising. Actually, advertising is simply noise, as in pollution.
But it's more than just the constant pollution... I long ago worked to rid myself of ads to avoid that. But when you go from films where you're looking for that subtle emotional nuance to complement a scene to some doofus punching you in the face and screaming BUY NEW UNHEALTHY THING at you, it's a rather stark and pretty unwelcome contrast.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » January 21st, 2020, 7:21 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
January 21st, 2020, 5:55 am
xianjiro wrote:
January 20th, 2020, 11:02 pm
yeah, when I visit friends and they have the TV on, or I use a browser without ad-blocking, it's amazing how pervasive advertising is. I find two things incredibly annoying: flashing on webpages and the noise of advertising. Actually, advertising is simply noise, as in pollution.
But it's more than just the constant pollution... I long ago worked to rid myself of ads to avoid that. But when you go from films where you're looking for that subtle emotional nuance to complement a scene to some doofus punching you in the face and screaming BUY NEW UNHEALTHY THING at you, it's a rather stark and pretty unwelcome contrast.
you'll get no argument from me! BTW, have you seen The Night Before - Weed of Christmas Past and Michael Shannon as Mr Green? As I was looking for emotional nuance, I got to see a Red Bull super-stretch hummer. Point is, even in movies we're not entirely free of advertising though it's generally subtle enough not to rise to your qualification above.

My favorites though are when the actor is drinking out of a container and it magically shifts position between takes so that the label always has coverage. Or when you see the actor actively thinking about how to place the container so that it gets coverage.

Wonder if any 'serious' actor has tried to get a contract clause stating s/he won't get upstaged by product placement - you know, like some have no topless scene clauses.

Anyway, some time back I read something that was talking about just how in-our-faces advertising will have to be in the future to remain effective. Beyond our adoration of ad blockers - and honestly, I don't really care about the static images of someone pushing wonder bras for overweight Alabama men seen on sites like Reuters - it's the video and flashing and moving images that drive me nuts while I'm trying to read an article about just how horrible _________ is.

Goddesses how I hate IMDb sans ad blocker ... :ph43r:

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » January 22nd, 2020, 2:08 am

I have not seen those... no.

But yeah - you're browsing a site and annoying flashing image. Or reading something and a popup covers what you're reading. Or video autoplays. Or sound just starts playing. Or, goddesses forbid (I like that), you try and click the "Download" button and have to play a game akin to Indy's choice in Last Crusade, lest you get a virus.

Just wait for Coca-Cola presents "Superman: Soft Drink of Justice" as the summer 2024 blockbuster release...

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » January 22nd, 2020, 6:01 am

I'm surprised cities haven't started selling naming rights to roads the way they do with stadiums.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 18th, 2020, 5:00 am

I've never tried a cocktail, but am going out for dinner and drinks tonight and want to try one of these. Any suggestions?

I normally drink vodka and coke, but also like girly fruity drinks. I've always wanted to try the long island iced tea, but I'm a lightweight and a bit scared of it lol.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 18th, 2020, 5:09 am

A Long Island if properly made should be very strong but not taste like it, so maybe best to stay away. Haven't had most of those others - Cosmo is the most famous one, may have had that once. Seem to recall liking Mojitos. Don't drink cocktails much myself but I do like an Old Fashioned, which here in Wisconsin is usually made with brandy; that or a Bloody Mary made extremely spicy would be my usual choices if I were opting for a cocktail (usually because I''m someplace that has a shitty beer selection, which is thankfully getting to be rarer and rarer).

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » February 18th, 2020, 11:01 am

I would recommend the Mojito. It's a classic, it's easy to prepare so you can find Mojitos in many places, most of them enjoyable. The Long Island can be a rather strong drink, especially if the balance is not perfect (and if it is, it's still very strong, you just don't feel it)...

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 18th, 2020, 12:53 pm

Ended up going with the Cosmo which was fine but didn’t do much alcohol-wise. Will try the mojito next time!
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » February 18th, 2020, 1:18 pm

Those prices are quite steep for cocktails that come with a "make it a jug" option :D

Both Cosmopolitan and Mojito are quite easy to make at home, also quite neutral for cocktails as most people will at least like them/be able to drink them. The Long Island Ice Tea can be quite strong indeed, though it's rarely well-made. I'm more into the whisky cocktails. A Blue Blazer in winter, a Mint Julep in summer. Or something more refined in our local cocktail bar(prices there are likewise though, about 25-30 AUD).

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » February 18th, 2020, 1:56 pm

cinephage wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 11:01 am
I would recommend the Mojito. It's a classic, it's easy to prepare so you can find Mojitos in many places, most of them enjoyable. The Long Island can be a rather strong drink, especially if the balance is not perfect (and if it is, it's still very strong, you just don't feel it)...
Hmm, the mojito is only superficially easy to make, most bars give you a botched job. I would only order it in a place where I knew the bar staff were committed mixologists who took pride in what they were doing. Cosmo is another example of a drink that is swill if made by a non professional.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » February 18th, 2020, 1:59 pm

This is why I drink red wine. You just open the bottle and pour...

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » February 18th, 2020, 2:00 pm

matthewscott8 wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 1:56 pm
cinephage wrote:
Hmm, the mojito is only superficially easy to make, most bars give you a botched job. I would only order it in a place where I knew the bar staff were committed mixologists who took pride in what they were doing. Cosmo is another example of a drink that is swill if made by a non professional.
All cocktails are really, but cocktails like a Mojito or Cosmo tend to be passable even when the bar doesn't really "do" cocktails, but just pours some stuff together. You end up drinking overpriced fruit juice with an alcohol sting, but that's preferable over a badly made Long Island Ice Tea, no?

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » February 18th, 2020, 2:16 pm

mightysparks wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 5:00 am
I've never tried a cocktail, but am going out for dinner and drinks tonight and want to try one of these. Any suggestions?

I normally drink vodka and coke, but also like girly fruity drinks. I've always wanted to try the long island iced tea, but I'm a lightweight and a bit scared of it lol.
Espresso martini has been a trendy drink for a while, just tastes like you're drinking alcoholic cold coffee basically, often people have that maybe for Saturday or Sunday brunch. Aperol spritz has sweet flavours and a bitter tonicky finish, I'm addicted to it, but it's probably not somewhere to start. The dark and stormy is a big smash of ginger. I would leave those three out for starting out on the adventure.

I've not had a drink for 6 weeks, so getting some vicarious pleasure here. I absolutely love alchohol but a detox is good to keep appreciating it.

I tend to go places with professional bar staff and order classic cocktails not on their menu. My favourite classic cocktail is Aviation, which has gin, maraschino (tastes of cherry), crème de violette (tastes of violet) and lemon. Generally not on menus but tastes great for my palate, got a citrus cut to it and a lot of sweetness. If the don't have crème de violette it still works pretty good with just gin, maraschino and lemon. You might like that, and bartenders who know good cocktails often enjoy the opportunity to make it. They get pretty bored making well marketed pink drinks that don't taste so good, or macho negronis that are just overwhelming.

Towards the end of last year another addiction of mine was ordering cocktails made with peaty whisky (tastes smoky). Laphroaig and some fruit is just ridiculous, many ways to do this. My fave last year was a Long Islay Iced Tea (Islay is a place where they make peaty whiskies). This is not a place to start though!!!!!!!!

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » February 18th, 2020, 2:24 pm

Onderhond wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 2:00 pm
matthewscott8 wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 1:56 pm
cinephage wrote:
All cocktails are really, but cocktails like a Mojito or Cosmo tend to be passable even when the bar doesn't really "do" cocktails, but just pours some stuff together. You end up drinking overpriced fruit juice with an alcohol sting, but that's preferable over a badly made Long Island Ice Tea, no?
I would go for the long island ice tea, as it's almost impossible for my taste to make a bad drink with the ingredients, although what you get given may well not really be a long island ice tea. I think if you really knew the bar was shit but wanted to have a cocktail you would probably do cosmo or long island ice tea. But I really think mojito is not worth drinking if made badly, and you really would want the bar to have fresh mint, will they, generally not.

I'm pretty lucky where I live as there are several places within walking distance where there are bar staff who obsess about making doing justice to cocktails, and are competition standard. When you see a menu like the one here, which doesn't have any of the bar's own creations you wonder a bit if it's gonna be a place where justice is done.

If I go somewhere and the barman hasn't even heard of Aviation, I would just stick with rum and cokes personally.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » February 18th, 2020, 2:35 pm

Hmmm, even the bad bars here throw in some fresh mint, but maybe because mint tea (with fresh mint) is also very much a thing here. Without fresh mint ... I don't even want to think about it :D Luckily there are some pretty solid bars here, although the competition has actually made prices go up these past couple of years. With cocktails, it's all about exclusivity I guess.

It's been a long time since I drank a bad cocktail though. I tried some when I got into cocktails, but since I'm used to the good stuff now, I'd rather have none than a bad one. That Long Islay Iced Tea sounds delicious btw! I'd also try out anything with the Laphroaig, one of my fav whiskies (in particular the quarter cask).

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 18th, 2020, 4:59 pm

Those prices are pretty typical for Australia I think. When my dad and I first went to the UK he was literally taking photos of the alcohol prices go send to his coworkers back home because they were so cheap (he works in a liquor store).

It was a restaurant/bar near where we live that does a damn fine halloumi burger so didn’t mind trying out their drinks. We had some pre drinks but I had sobered up by the time we got there and i was sober again by the time we left, then drank more when we got home. I’ll keep some of those other options in mind if we are dining elsewhere, and I’d be willing to attempt the Long Island iced tea at some point (though I’m falling over after 2-3 standard drinks so I gotta be careful in public lol).

I’m not a big fan of alcohol but I do like getting a bit drunk every once in a while, especially since I don’t smoke weed anymore and it’s the only time I get to not feel anxious. Was a pretty good night overall.

Edit: oh, and I haven’t tasted a wine that I haven’t hated yet. It all tastes like medicine to me. I have a pretty violent reaction to anything with a strong taste, but admittedly I have only tried cheap wine.

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » February 18th, 2020, 5:04 pm

Kind of like rustic brut flander red ale, good stuff

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 18th, 2020, 5:21 pm

That's great stuff. Way too expensive here - I think the last time I saw a bottle it was over $30 - and I don't know that I can get it where I live now. Kind of been down on sour/tart beers in the last few years but I think I can still make exceptions for a Flanders red.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » February 18th, 2020, 6:58 pm

A Flanders red (whatever that is) from Switzerland? Sounds like a sham :D

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » February 18th, 2020, 8:25 pm

Flanders Red is my kryptonite hehe, think I have discussed on this forum before, can't stand it and have questioned whether the beer had gone bad before when I've drunk it.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 18th, 2020, 8:38 pm

matthewscott8 wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 8:25 pm
Flanders Red is my kryptonite hehe, think I have discussed on this forum before, can't stand it and have questioned whether the beer had gone bad before when I've drunk it.
I do recall you mentioning that somewhere. I don't recall if I've asked if you like other sour/tart beer styles? I was a big lambic fan for quite a while but for whatever reason I have mostly lost my taste for sour stuff in the last - 3, maybe? - years. No idea why. But my favorite local brewery, New Glarus, makes tons of sour/tart beers and their regular line of tart fruit beers is incredible, and just the other day I had their new apple Berliner Weiss which was extraordinary. Maybe it's just something about the brettanomyces yeast that I've come to dislike, and sour styles that don't use it I still like? Will have to investigate. In any case I do love Flanders reds though probably not as much as I used to. I may still have a 22-year-old bottle of Rodenbach Alexander around here, maybe should crack that open when my brother visits.

tazz_85

Post by tazz_85 » February 18th, 2020, 9:13 pm

First time i've opened this thread, read only the last page :)

Don't like the taste of Flanders Red, i've tried a lot of different beers but i always go back to just the regular trappist beers. Chimay/orval/rochefort/westmalle/la trappe.
luckily i live in Flanders, i can get all those beers pretty cheap here in the local store a few hundred metres further :)

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » February 19th, 2020, 7:54 am

mightysparks wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 12:53 pm
Ended up going with the Cosmo which was fine but didn’t do much alcohol-wise. Will try the mojito next time!
Now you're well-qualified to dish just like the women on Sex and the City, score extra point if you drank your cosmo before noon on a weekend.

sol can find me here

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » February 19th, 2020, 8:27 am

mightysparks wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 4:59 pm
I’m not a big fan of alcohol but I do like getting a bit drunk every once in a while
I'm exactly the other way around. I love a good drink, but I've never been drunk :ph43r:

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » February 19th, 2020, 9:26 am

OldAle1 wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 8:38 pm
matthewscott8 wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 8:25 pm
I do recall you mentioning that somewhere. I don't recall if I've asked if you like other sour/tart beer styles? I was a big lambic fan for quite a while but for whatever reason I have mostly lost my taste for sour stuff in the last - 3, maybe? - years. No idea why. But my favorite local brewery, New Glarus, makes tons of sour/tart beers and their regular line of tart fruit beers is incredible, and just the other day I had their new apple Berliner Weiss which was extraordinary. Maybe it's just something about the brettanomyces yeast that I've come to dislike, and sour styles that don't use it I still like? Will have to investigate. In any case I do love Flanders reds though probably not as much as I used to. I may still have a 22-year-old bottle of Rodenbach Alexander around here, maybe should crack that open when my brother visits.
I like a good Lambic in the summertime. Flanders Red just seems to have a different profile, it tasted vinegary.

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » February 19th, 2020, 9:29 am

tazz_85 wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 9:13 pm
First time i've opened this thread, read only the last page :)

Don't like the taste of Flanders Red, i've tried a lot of different beers but i always go back to just the regular trappist beers. Chimay/orval/rochefort/westmalle/la trappe.
luckily i live in Flanders, i can get all those beers pretty cheap here in the local store a few hundred metres further :)
I can get all those beers here in the UK but they ain't cheap. I had a holiday in Brugge and it is just fantastic to go to the corner shop and get those beers without taking a loan out. Trappist is basically the answer to the what beer should I drink problem, but I do like a good barleywine too.

Coryn

Post by Coryn » February 19th, 2020, 9:47 am

Living in Belgium as well and the choices of good beer are unlimited. Personal favorite is and will always be 'Karmeliet'
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » February 19th, 2020, 11:23 am

Coryn wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 9:47 am
Living in Belgium as well and the choices of good beer are unlimited. Personal favorite is and will always be 'Karmeliet'
That's my brother's fave. My happiness is Rochefort #10, though I like to go dark and do Gulden Draak and Straffe Hendrik from time to time.

If happiness is Rochefort #10, elysium is probably getting staggered in Staminee de Garre in Brugge on their in house tripel, and they also have Gulden Draak on draught last time I went. I don't know if residents of Flanders would find that too touristy, but it's a happy place for me for sure.

There are 2 places in Bristol I go where they have draught Belgian beer, Strawberry Thief bar always has Kwak on draught, and The Victoria always has the blond Delirium on draught. Nights on those are fun and expensive, although Strawberry Thief is too "cool" for my taste, too many good looking well dressed youngsters with the opinions they're meant to have, so I tend to turn up only when I know it won't be busy.

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » February 19th, 2020, 5:01 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 5:21 pm
That's great stuff. Way too expensive here - I think the last time I saw a bottle it was over $30 - and I don't know that I can get it where I live now. Kind of been down on sour/tart beers in the last few years but I think I can still make exceptions for a Flanders red.
bought that for 15€ from finnish government alcohol monopoly (for over 5.5% drinks). too bad they have very limited amount of usa beers but at least there are a few bars with decent selection and rotating drafts

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » February 22nd, 2020, 11:37 pm

Man, did I have an awesome blueberry cheesecake Russian imperial stout tonight. I love beer.
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 23rd, 2020, 12:56 am

Gershwin wrote:
February 22nd, 2020, 11:37 pm
Man, did I have an awesome blueberry cheesecake Russian imperial stout tonight. I love beer.
When I read that, I think, man am I so over strong beers with all kinds of weird flavor additives. Then I remember the cinnamon-and-sugar barleywine I had a few weeks ago that was served with a donut made from a churro. Just about the most awesome fucking thing ever. Now I want an imperial stout or barleywine or Belgian quad! But I have to finish this bottle of vinho verde first, sigh.

tazz_85

Post by tazz_85 » February 23rd, 2020, 11:06 am

matthewscott8 wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 11:23 am
That's my brother's fave. My happiness is Rochefort #10, though I like to go dark and do Gulden Draak and Straffe Hendrik from time to time.
i almost forgot about Gulden Draak, during the Christmas holidays i drank a few of those :p Also one of my favorite beers.
But they are quite strong :)
i bought all these:
- Gulden Draak (Classic)
- Gulden Draak (9000 Quadruple)
- Gulden Draak (Imperial Stout)
- Gulden Draak (Brewmaster)
edit: https://guldendraak.be/nl

i love them all, think i'm gonna get one of each again for next weekend :)

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 4th, 2020, 8:50 am

Random question, but when you buy alcohol do they give it to you in plastic bags, paper bags, boxes, something else? I know in some countries you can buy alcohol from supermarkets and stuff (take-home alcohol can only be sold at liquor stores here) which might make it different. Here, they re-use the boxes for us to carry them in and we were curious if that happens in other countries.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » August 4th, 2020, 2:56 pm

mightysparks wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 8:50 am
Random question, but when you buy alcohol do they give it to you in plastic bags, paper bags, boxes, something else? I know in some countries you can buy alcohol from supermarkets and stuff (take-home alcohol can only be sold at liquor stores here) which might make it different. Here, they re-use the boxes for us to carry them in and we were curious if that happens in other countries.
Either a paper bag or a box, like the reused wine boxes. If I get more than 2-3 bottles they usually put it in a reused box.
The only time I've gotten plastic was when I lived on the west coast and would buy beer at a 7-11 or similar (they don't sell in convenience stores or groceries where I currently live) they'd give me a plastic bag, usually black.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » August 4th, 2020, 3:01 pm

In Belgium you don't get anything particular. You just buy alcohol like you buy canned beans, bread, vegetables, meat ... You put it in whatever bag you take with you, or you just take it with you on the street. I think there are very specific areas where it's not allowed, but that has more to do with the proximity of homeless people, which could lead to public disturbance.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » August 4th, 2020, 4:24 pm

I just open my mouth under the faucet and the amount of time they leave it on is dependent on how much money I give them. Then I fall down.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » August 4th, 2020, 6:05 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 4:24 pm
I just open my mouth under the faucet and the amount of time they leave it on is dependent on how much money I give them. Then I fall down.
:clap: :cheers: