Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Aug 9th), Romance (Aug 28th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Der Fan, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

American Football lounge

blocho
Donator

Re: American Football lounge

Post by blocho » October 27th, 2019, 11:27 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 9:06 pm
maxwelldeux wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 6:55 pm
peeptoad wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 6:42 pm

Pats- Browns coming at ya. I just know that's more exciting for you. Hee hee :turned:
That game I'm expecting to be a car wreck - morbid to watch, but I'll be fascinated to see just how bad.
Three turnovers on three consecutive plays, including the stupidest interception I've ever seen. WOW. :circle:
That was a bizarre interception. Lawrence Guy crashed through the line, and sure D-linemen do beat O-linemen that badly in every game, but I think Mayfield badly missed the receiver as well, which seems crazy given that it was a pass to someone standing three feet away.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » October 27th, 2019, 11:30 pm

sebby wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 8:50 pm
Welp, I think I'm done watching football for the year.
I haven't even seen the full highlights yet, but I saw that the Bears kneeled with 40 seconds left and a first down rather than try to pick up additional yards. Just bizarre. The head coach spent the entire offseason forcing the team to work through his kicking game self-flagellation neuroses, and then when a big kick comes his way, he just assumes a 40-yard kick is guaranteed rather than trying to do something to make things even a little easier for his kicker. Schottenheimer disease strikes again.

tirefeet

Post by tirefeet » October 28th, 2019, 12:12 am

Since Melvin Gordon took the field, Chargers became the 4th team (1st since 1946) to record 40 rushing yards or fewer for four consecutive games. Rivers at one point during today's match was shown to be arguing with his head coach. His prime receivers Allen, Williams and Henry all had a dropping the ball moment today with former two would have been 40+ yards touchdowns.

Bears seemed to took a page of Chargers' impotence at converting from redzone which was on full display during last week against Titans. For once, Chargers ran into a team that somehow outdid them when it comes to coming up short.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » October 28th, 2019, 1:26 am

Well, at least my Vikings seem to be doing okay for now after a bit of a rocky start.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » October 28th, 2019, 3:44 am

Just finished watching Packers-Chiefs. For a bit there in the second, I was really nervous because the Packers D, heretofore a reborn unit, suddenly reverted to the Dom Capers' defense of yesteryear. And then the defense suddenly got it together in the second half. The truth is that the Chiefs were severely undermanned, missing six starters, Mahomes most significantly. I could say that Rodgers was great again with a weak receiver corps (Adams out again, and Nos. 2 and 3, Allison and MVS, combining for 2 catches for 11 yards), but he was facing a bad and depleted defense. Rodgers made a couple of ridiculous throws, but he also through three passes that could have been picked.

Meanwhile, LaFleur continues to mystify me, hyper-conservative at one moment (letting 38 seconds run off the clock in the last minute of the first half even as the Pack had two timeouts) and aggressive at the next (passing on third down at the end of the game rather than running and burning clock).

Although when it comes to hyper-conservative, nothing beats Andy Reid punting with 5 minutes left in the game when down by 7 on a 4th-and-3. Of course, there's nothing actually conservative about making it easier for your opponent to win.

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » October 28th, 2019, 10:28 pm

sebby wrote:
I've only watched one Bengals game this year, the first. I've found college football more rewarding this season thus far.

sebby

Post by sebby » October 28th, 2019, 10:50 pm

Nathan Treadway wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 10:28 pm
sebby wrote:
I've only watched one Bengals game this year, the first. I've found college football more rewarding this season thus far.
As a Notre Dame fan I'm also done with college football until bowl season :(

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » October 29th, 2019, 3:33 am

sebby wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 10:50 pm
Nathan Treadway wrote:
sebby wrote:
Yeah, that was a very disappointing game Saturday. Obviously I was hoping they'd win (I'm an Ohio State fan), and they didn't even show up.

sebby

Post by sebby » October 29th, 2019, 6:58 am

Nathan Treadway wrote:
October 29th, 2019, 3:33 am
sebby wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 10:50 pm
Nathan Treadway wrote:

Yeah, that was a very disappointing game Saturday. Obviously I was hoping they'd win (I'm an Ohio State fan), and they didn't even show up.
I don't know if the irrelevant years or this last decade or so where they're good but not quite good enough have been harder to watch.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » November 3rd, 2019, 7:52 pm

The Dolphins are leading the Jets 21-12 at the half! Yes, we've got another case of FitzMagic on our hands! The Dolphins also had one of most incompetent safeties I've ever seen. I'm very unexcited to see how this finishes.

Meanwhile, the Bears had 9 yards of offense in the first half.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » November 3rd, 2019, 8:29 pm

...but now in the 2nd half, the Eagles defense is actually making Trubisky and the Bears offense look semi-competent. *vomits*
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

sebby

Post by sebby » November 3rd, 2019, 9:03 pm

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 8:29 pm
...but now in the 2nd half, the Eagles defense is actually making Trubisky and the Bears offense look semi-competent. *vomits*
And the Bears D is returning the favor in the fourth letting the Eagles do whatever they want on 3rd down. How do you defend a screen pass again?

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » November 3rd, 2019, 9:23 pm

Yeah just a rather ugly game all-around, not a big surprise really with how both teams are playing this year. Nine games into the season and I still don’t know how to feel about the Eagles. They’re fortunate to be at 5-4 now.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

tirefeet

Post by tirefeet » November 3rd, 2019, 11:34 pm

Mike Williams (D:) Over 100 yards receiving for the first time in his career, achieved that with three catches.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » November 4th, 2019, 12:14 am

The game is not officially over yet, but today was as punchless and pathetic as I have ever seen the Packers offense. Coming into a game against a mediocre opponent (that was also missing three defensive starters!!!), the Packers had 50 yards at halftime and did not score until seconds were left in the third quarter. This was the Packers offense I feared coming into the season, one with an aging line and a shallow pool of talent among ball-handlers, the product of investing 70% of draft capital in defense over the past several seasons. Yet, after the offense was sterling over the past two weeks, I was surprised to see it fall on its ass against the Chargers, especially considering that the Packers got back Davante Adams after he missed four weeks with an injury. David Bakhtiari, who I thought was the best pass blocking lineman in the league last year, has underperformed, and the entire line looked like crap. The defense wasn't good either.

Oh well, at least everyone else in the NFC North also lost today. The Packers are still a game ahead in the division, and are sitting pretty at 7-2.

tirefeet

Post by tirefeet » November 4th, 2019, 12:23 am

OT in Seattle. Tampa comes back in last minute to tie the game and Seattle misses a 40 yard FG on the last play.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » November 4th, 2019, 12:49 am

Also, Romo and Nantz (Romantz?) were particularly painful today. As bad as the Packers were, they didn't blow chunks quite as thoroughly as Romantz. Whatever insight Romo once had as an announcer (and I think he was very overpraised) has vanished. He spent the entire day filling my ears with anodyne observations and stupid, stupid, stupid analysis. They also did this whole stunt in the third quarter where they announced while standing on the sidelines instead of the booth, and they made a whole lot of jokes about it as if they had discovered some sort of comedy gold mine. When will TV executives learn that people who watch football watch football for the football and not for the leaden-voiced dunderheads who say "I love this playcall here" as if they're decoding the Rosetta Stone? Next time, they should have Romantz call the game from the toilet. Romo taking a dump is more insightful than the diarrhea he emits from his mouth.

OK, I'm psyched to see Pats-Ravens.

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » November 4th, 2019, 1:09 am

No football this week for me, as the Buckeyes and Bengals were off. Not that I would've watched the Bengals this week, anyhow. On the bright side, they do have Jets and Dolphins to look forward to in December. They may win a couple games.

I wouldn't hold my breath on it, though.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » November 4th, 2019, 2:57 am

Nathan Treadway wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 1:09 am
No football this week for me, as the Buckeyes and Bengals were off. Not that I would've watched the Bengals this week, anyhow. On the bright side, they do have Jets and Dolphins to look forward to in December. They may win a couple games.

I wouldn't hold my breath on it, though.
Bengals are only winless team remaining thanks to the Dolphins somehow winning. They're in the driver's seat in the Tua sweepstakes (of course, they weren't trying to tank like the Dolphins were, which makes it more pathetic). They might as well keep losing the rest of the year.

tirefeet

Post by tirefeet » November 4th, 2019, 3:10 am

Romo can be a hit or miss for me when watching in general but I usually enjoy his commentary when he calls Chargers games, win or lose. I had similar experiences with Doc Emrick in Nhl (he would not stop using words 'drive' or 'ricochet' which just gets annoying). Romo has this another gear where he just straight up calls the upcoming plays which was on full display last postseason when Pats defeated Chiefs.

Chargers rushing came alive today, woo!! Gordon hopefully threw the monkey off of his shoulder and will continue to be his usual self for the rest of the season.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » November 4th, 2019, 4:36 pm

That was fun to see the Patriots get taken down last night. I just hope they don't re-group and take it out on my Eagles when they play each other after the bye week...

Regarding game broadcasters: the Eagles-Bears game yesterday was called by septuagenarian Dick Stockton, and holy shit is he losing it. He kept mixing up the teams, at a couple points saying the Eagles were on offense when they were actually on defense and vice versa. He referred to Miles Sanders as Miles "Saunders" at one point. And he actually combined the names of the Fox analyst Charissa Thompson and the Bears' Khalil Mack when he tried to throw it to her for a game break, calling her "Charissa Mack", lol. And he just seemed a little off and confused at other times. Time to retire, Dick.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » November 4th, 2019, 5:56 pm

blocho wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 12:14 am
This was the Packers offense I feared coming into the season, one with an aging line and a shallow pool of talent among ball-handlers, the product of investing 70% of draft capital in defense over the past several seasons.
I certainly don't mean to defend the Packers' front office, but they were pretty much forced to invest their draft capital on the defensive side. The Packers defense was putrid for years, buoyed only by Rodgers' ability to pull rabbits out of the hat. When Rodgers' level started dropping a little (he's still very good, mind you, but not at his peak) it started to show on the record. So McCarthy and Thompson had to spend draft picks on the other side of the ball and the result is of course that the offense suffered a lack of talent infusion to support Rodgers. I don't follow the Packers closely enough to know whether the new guys are on the right track, but it was obvious for years that the "old regime" wasn't working and that pretty much only the talent of Aaron Rodgers was keeping the team competitive. If the Packers had had good people running the organization they would've been a perennial rival to New England for the last 8-10 years. Believe me, as a Vikings fan that's painful to say.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » November 4th, 2019, 7:28 pm

Knaldskalle wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 5:56 pm
blocho wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 12:14 am
This was the Packers offense I feared coming into the season, one with an aging line and a shallow pool of talent among ball-handlers, the product of investing 70% of draft capital in defense over the past several seasons.
I certainly don't mean to defend the Packers' front office, but they were pretty much forced to invest their draft capital on the defensive side. The Packers defense was putrid for years, buoyed only by Rodgers' ability to pull rabbits out of the hat. When Rodgers' level started dropping a little (he's still very good, mind you, but not at his peak) it started to show on the record. So McCarthy and Thompson had to spend draft picks on the other side of the ball and the result is of course that the offense suffered a lack of talent infusion to support Rodgers. I don't follow the Packers closely enough to know whether the new guys are on the right track, but it was obvious for years that the "old regime" wasn't working and that pretty much only the talent of Aaron Rodgers was keeping the team competitive. If the Packers had had good people running the organization they would've been a perennial rival to New England for the last 8-10 years. Believe me, as a Vikings fan that's painful to say.
Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with the 70% defense strategy. The Packers have had a crap defense for ages. Dedicating so many resources to the defense on the assumption that the coaches can mold good offensive linemen from low-round and undrafted picks (which the Packers have consistently done well) and Rodgers can make up for other offensive deficiencies is a coherent strategy. But it only works if the defense improves enough. Right now, the Packers are 11th in the defensive rankings for points per game. That's a huge improvement over 2016 (21st), 2017 (22nd), and 2018 (22nd). And it's why the Packers are 7-2 right now. That being said, the strategy very much did not work for several years (see those defensive rankings for 2016-2018) because the Packers drafted poorly on defense while also somehow not recognizing and keeping the good defensive talent it did have. An amazing six former Packers defensive backs are currently starting elsewhere in the NFL: Damarious Randall, Casey Hayward, Micah Hyde, Morgan Burnett, Jermaine Whitehead, and Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix. That's two first round players, a second rounder, a third rounder, and a fifth rounder (and one undrafted). Not all of those players are good (Whitehead was released by the Browns literally a couple of hours ago), but the Packers had Hyde and Hayward and let them go and watched them become very good players elsewhere.

Anyway, my point is that I'm fine with the strategy if the defense improves, which at long last it has this season. I'm very happy to be 7-2.

tirefeet

Post by tirefeet » November 4th, 2019, 9:51 pm

I got me some Lamar Jackson action yesterday before going to sleep. He was doing utterly ridiculous things especially during the sequence when he was dodging/sidestepping/zigzagging various defenders as he was handling the ball as loosely as I've seen from a football player. Not to mention he was aligning a teammate with his free hand to block for him :satstunned:

He's such a joy to watch, most exciting player in today's league for me along with KC's Tyreek Hill.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » November 4th, 2019, 10:57 pm

Jackson was amazing yesterday. My only worry is that his body is going to break down from all the hits he takes.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » November 5th, 2019, 5:01 pm

blocho wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 10:57 pm
Jackson was amazing yesterday. My only worry is that his body is going to break down from all the hits he takes.
And it's kinda funny that RGIII is his backup, as he is probably the closest comparison to Jackson as far as recent QB history goes. Hopefully Jackson doesn't follow the same injury path as RGIII, yeah. It looks like Jackson has the potential to actually become the kind of QB that people thought RGIII would be.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » November 6th, 2019, 5:32 am

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... penn-state

This is news I can like. :) Hopefully it's like this a month from now.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » November 7th, 2019, 1:04 am

Random question:

What football truism or received wisdom or "common sense" drives you absolutely nuts?

I know there's a lot to choose from because most of these ideas come from announcers, and announcers are idiots. There are two that drive me nuts (actually, there are more, but let's start with two):

- Anytime anyone says something about the offense wearing down the defense or how the defense is out of the gas. This drives me nuts because if the defense has been on the field for a long time, I can tell you who else has been on the field for a long time: the opposing offense. Playing offense tires out players just like playing defense does. I know this because I played high school football (poorly), but everyone knows this because it's true in every sport. Playing offense in soccer, basketball, hockey, etc. also takes effort and energy.

- Anything about time of possession or controlling the clock (I'm not referring here to bleeding the clock in late-game situations, which is obviously important). I especially hate it when an announcer praises a team because its offense has a long drive and is keeping the other team's star QB "off the field." A team has never kept an opponent's QB off the field with their offense. They keep the QB off the field when their defense stops that QB from extending or completing a drive. And anything about time of possession is an almost willful incomprehension about cause (an effective offense ...) and effect (... usually has long drives). The fundamental goal of any offense is to score points, not to hold the ball for more than half of the game clock.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » November 11th, 2019, 2:00 am

The Packers squeaked out another victory, this time getting the win by literally an inch on a game-ending play. I thought McCaffrey might have made the end zone, but oddly none of the replay angles actually showed the decisive moment. A lot of mixed moments and mixed signals in this one, for both teams, including some stupid, stupid errors. The Panthers getting an illegal formation on a field goal miss was insane. So was the Packers going offside twice in the final minute from inside the ten-yard line.

The Packers defense improved this week after a shitty five-week stretch, though it reminded me a lot of the old Dom Capers defense: the epitome of bend-don't-break and hope for a couple of turnovers. The offense worked in fits and starts, though I have to say it's sad to see how David Bakhtiari has fallen. Perhaps the best tackle in the league last year, he surrendered a sack, had a ten-yard penalty, and blew the block on the play at the end of the first half. The Packers probably would have scored a touchdown if he hadn't shat the bed against Gerald McCoy. Meanwhile, Kyle Allen put up good numbers. He made some good throws and a lot of escapability in the pocket, but he also made enough bad decisions that I think the Panthers are fooling themselves if they think he's a long-term answer at QB.

I caught a few minutes of the Colts-Dolphins during commercials of the Packers-Panthers game, and that Dolphins defense looked downright scary (although, yes, they were essentially facing the Colt's third-string QB). After losing their first four games by a combined score of 163-26, they've won two of five since their bye week, and none of their losses were blow outs. The Dolphins have played themselves out of the sweepstakes for the first overall pick, but they might have something even more promising because the players and coaches have shown they can improve a lot during the season.

Speaking of that first overall pick, I watched my first college game of the season: LSU-Alabama on Saturday. I know he was coming off ankle surgery, but I just didn't see much from Tua Tagovailoa. I have a feeling it's going to be another one of those drafts were five or six QBs are picked in the first round.

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » November 11th, 2019, 2:20 am

blocho wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 2:00 am
Speaking of that first overall pick, I watched my first college game of the season: LSU-Alabama on Saturday. I know he was coming off ankle surgery, but I just didn't see much from Tua Tagovailoa. I have a feeling it's going to be another one of those drafts were five or six QBs are picked in the first round.
I watched that game as well, and I wasn't too impressed with Tua either. If the Bengals do pick a QB with their first pick (looking more and more likely like 1-1), I'd rather see Burrow, although I'm not too sold on him either. I'm still really, really wanting Chase Young though, even if he isn't a QB. That dude's a beast. The OSU game was boring this week (next week will be even more boring), so, I was switching between that and the much more competitive Baylor-TCU and Penn State-Minnesota games.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » November 12th, 2019, 2:41 pm

Haha, Jared Goff sucks so much. I love it. My dream is that he plays awfully for a couple more games and the Rams rack up some more losses, and he's benched for Blake Bortles. Highly unlikely, but that would be hilarious.

Nice to see the Seahawks knock off the Niners. I mean, it does seem like the Niners are truly good this year, but not 8-0 good, I think their record had looked a little better than they really are.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » November 12th, 2019, 5:28 pm

Goff is a mystery. I saw him play last year against the Chiefs and the Vikings, and I thought he was a top-three QB in the league. But the knock on him was that he was a product of McVay, and we saw in the Super Bowl that he couldn't carry his team.

I haven't seen the Rams play yet this season. I know their line suddenly sucks. Is Goff bad because his line is terrible, or is he bad now in his own right?

I tried to watch Niners-Seahawks last night, but I was coming off a root canal and ran out of steam after the first half, which is a shame because it seemed like a good game. My dominant impression from that first half was that Garoppolo was very unimpressive. And that the Niners' defensive line was terrifying.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » November 12th, 2019, 8:13 pm

Yeah I still think McVay in his ear, and the high number of talented skill position players on the Rams, is what made Goff look good at times. I do think their O-line is weaker now, their best lineman (Whitworth) is like 38 years old. And with some key guys injured or not playing up to snuff (Brandin Cooks and the "is he kinda injured or are they just preserving him all year" Todd Gurley), it's apparent that Goff can't overcome these chinks in the armor on his own.

And yeah, that Niners pass rush is for real.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » November 13th, 2019, 6:23 pm

RIP Zeke Bratkowski. With Forrest Gregg and Bart Starr also dying, it's been a tough year for Lombardi-era Packers. He played in the NFL from 1954 to 1973, though he missed five of those years because of military service and two aborted retirements. He was with the Packers from 1963 to 1971, including two years as a coach, and won three championships. He was also an assistant coach for almost thirty years, including stints as OC with the Colts, Eagles, and Jets.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » November 18th, 2019, 2:47 am

My team was on a bye, but I did watch most of Texans-Ravens and all of Pats-Eagles.

Right now, the Ravens look unstoppable. To me, they're the best team in the league until they lose a game. I don't how someone stops that offense. They went up against a good Texans team and embarrassed them. The Ravens will cruise to a division championship and a likely first-round bye.

My main takeaway from the Pats game is that I don't see any easy fix for their offense, which isn't exactly news. They're 9-1, but that's an unsteady 9-1. Unless there is growth soon, the weak offense (not to mention the kicking game) is going to bite them in the ass. The Pats offensive line is shaky, they can't run the ball at all, and they have only two receivers who can do anything (Edelman and James White). Eagles fans, I imagine, are very discouraged, but they're only one game back in their division.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » November 25th, 2019, 9:31 pm

A lot of low-scoring games around the league. I watched Pats-Cowboys and Packers-49ers yesterday.

Pats-Cowboys was a hard game to get a read on. The weather was clearly affecting the game, but I couldn't say how much. Both offenses looked terrible, but was that a function of their inherent abilities, the strength of the opponent, or the rain/wind? An odd game overall. I wonder what the Patriots will do with their kicking situation heading into the playoffs, where it poses an enormous liability. The Pats are on their third kicker of the year, and Folk missed two of four field goal attempts yesterday (although, again, the weather). My brother is a Pats fan, and I have often joked with him that everybody who leaves the Patriots is actually a mole that Belichick is sending out into the league. It's a theory that seems to explain why so many former Pats coaches and players do poorly in other locations. Of course, the alternative theory--that ex-Pats coaches/players do worse elsewhere because they don't have the strength of the New England system in other places--is more realistic and actually makes sense. But it's fun to joke about. The one exception to that trend over the past two decades has seemed to be Adam Vinatieri, who was great in New England for many years and then great in Indianapolis for many years. When Gostkowski got injured, I told my brother that the Pats should trade for Vinatieri. Unfortunately, the trading deadline is gone now, but it would be really fun if the Colts cut Vinatieri and the Pats pick him up. It would be fun just because I could joke about a scenario in which Belichick sends Vinatieri out into the league 13 years ago, and says play well, but many years from now, when I really need you, you will inexplicably begin missing kicks and I'll pick you up on waivers.

Packers-49ers. This is an old NFC rivalry game. The two teams met seven times in the playoffs between 1995 and 2013, with the Packers winning four times. But the 49ers have sucked since 2013, or they did suck until now. I predicted a 27-10 win by the 49ers. It wasn't that close. I knew the Packers would get exposed after their last two games - a bad loss to the mediocre Chargers and a win by-the-skin-of-their-teeth over the mediocre Panthers. I can't say the Packers are bad because they lost to a great team. They're still 8-3. But they're not a realistic Super Bowl contender. Against very good competition, their offensive line was as tough as tissue paper. I think the Packers will finish 11-5 or 10-6, get a wild card spot, and lose in the first round. And I suppose that's fine. It's an improvement over the past two years and a step toward a brighter future. What worries me is that the team seems to have lost its ability to draft well and/or develop talent over the past five years.

And even worse, I don't have confidence in new coach Matt LaFleur. The Packers fired Mike McCarthy and hired LaFleur because the offense looked like a clogged toilet last year, and an Aaron Rodgers offense should not look like that. The last three games, the offense has been that same clogged toilet. In 2018, the Packers were 14th in the league in points per game, 12th in yards per game, and 13th in yards per play. This year, the offense is 14th, 21st, and 18th in those categories. LaFleur was supposed to unleash the offense, but it's gotten worse. And at halftime yesterday, the NBC sideline reporter said that LaFleur's halftime message was "We have to stick with the plan." Stick with the plan!? The fucking plan has put you behind 23-0 at halftime! I know those halftime mini-interviews lead to the most pointless blather. What worries me is that LaFleur was sincere.

Anyway, the 49ers next play the Ravens and then the Saints. I'm very excited to see what happens.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » November 25th, 2019, 10:36 pm

Two straight worrying games for the Eagles offense, Carson Wentz included. The oft-depleted wide receiver corps is historically bad, but there were definitely multiple bad throws yesterday against the Seahawks that were all on Wentz. Missing Miles Sanders twice in the flat on short, supposedly easy passes that sailed way over Sanders’ head (one of them likely would have gone for a TD if Wentz had thrown a better ball). A couple of picks, and most worryingly, multiple Wentz fumbles. He seemed to have gotten over his earlier fumbling problem for the first half of this season, but the issue seems to have re-emerged the last couple games. Though a certain amount of that can be attributed to an O-line that was missing Lane Johnson, and then Brandon Brooks for most of the game.

5-6 record now, they probably gotta win the 4 “easy” games remaining on their schedule, and the division will probably come down to that second Eagles-Cowboys game. Hard to have faith in this team, though.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » December 1st, 2019, 8:42 am

The Eagles should (key word: SHOULD) be able to beat the lowly Dolphins on Sunday, to go to 6-6 and be tied atop the NFC East with the Cowboys. Goddamn is this division terrible this year.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » December 2nd, 2019, 4:02 am

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
December 1st, 2019, 8:42 am
The Eagles should (key word: SHOULD) be able to beat the lowly Dolphins on Sunday, to go to 6-6 and be tied atop the NFC East with the Cowboys. Goddamn is this division terrible this year.
Brutal. Sorry, GT, that must have been a difficult game to watch. Looked like a vintage Fitzpatrick game - throws a pick on his first pass and is great the rest of the way. The Eagles are somehow not out of the playoff picture, mainly because the race for the NFC East crown has become a race to the bottom. The division winner could very well end with a losing record.

Packers had a good rebound game, mainly because Daniel Jones turned in a vintage Eli-type performance. I see what people like about him, though. He made some good throws. Whether he can figure out how to stop turning over the ball so much will determine his career.

Meanwhile, I'm currently watching the Patriots get their asses handed to them by the Texans. Everyone has known for weeks that the Patriots offense was questionable. Like most, I thought they would figure it out eventually. They haven't, and if the current result holds, we can't say they're a top-three team in the league right now.

A good week for trick plays. I really liked the Dolphins' touchdown pass from the punter to the kicker, and the Texans' reverse speed option with the QB as the pitch option. Never seen either of those plays before.

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » December 2nd, 2019, 4:25 am

GASP! Bengals won?!