Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 2019 (Results), Mini-series (Feb 29th), 2009 awards (Mar 3rd), Favorite Movies (Mar 21st), Doubling the Canon (Mar ??)
Challenges: Academy Awards, Africa, African American/Blaxploitation
Film of the Week: Doa al karawan, March nominations (Feb 28th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1D: Australia vs Hungary vs Portugal vs Tajikistan (Mar 1st), 1E: Czechia vs France vs Georgia vs Mexico (Mar 18th)

American Football lounge

sebby

Re: American Football lounge

Post by sebby » October 1st, 2019, 6:30 am

If all he can do is hold onto the ball when sacked and throw slants and screens with some precision I'll be happy.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » October 3rd, 2019, 12:07 am

I hope the Eagles win the Jalen Ramsey sweepstakes.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

sebby

Post by sebby » October 3rd, 2019, 3:14 am

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 12:07 am
Jags could follow an easy sched to a playoff appearance. I think he's staying put unless they lose 2 or 3 in a row here.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » October 3rd, 2019, 4:25 am

sebby wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 3:14 am
GruesomeTwosome wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 12:07 am
Jags could follow an easy sched to a playoff appearance. I think he's staying put unless they lose 2 or 3 in a row here.
True, true...well, then I hope the losing starts for them, hehe. But the Minshew Mania could keep rolling, yeah. Possibly at the expense of Nick Foles whenever he’s able to return...poor guy always has terrible luck when NOT in an Eagles uniform.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » October 3rd, 2019, 4:42 am

I'm thoroughly enjoying the Minshew phenomenon. The mustache alone would earn him a place in my heart (I think Rodgers made a big mistake growing his magnificent preseason mustache into a full beard), but somehow he's also good at quarterbacking. And even though I'm sure at some point he'll throw five picks over a two-week stretch, there's still this (from a recent article on The Ringer):

"Earlier this season Minshew was more meme than man. Legendary stories leaked from his college days (doing rubber band stretches while wearing nothing but sunglasses, shoving vanilla Crown Royal down his pants on his first night out with college teammates, trying and failing to break his hand with a hammer to gain a medical redshirt and extra year of college eligibility)."

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » October 4th, 2019, 12:05 am

Speaking of Minshew mania, check out this video which beautifully inserts Minshew into movie history:

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » October 4th, 2019, 12:06 am

For the record, I also very much enjoyed this Julian Edelman video:

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » October 7th, 2019, 12:54 am

I watched two games today, Jets-Eagles and Packers-Cowboys.

I expected the Eagles to cruise to an easy win, and they did a bit more than that. They obliterated the Jets, who had 128 yards of offense and gave up 10 sacks. Just painful to watch. Luke Falk (who, by the way, preceded the Legend of Gardner Minshew as starting QB at Washington State) turned over the ball three times, and for his own sake I thought the Jets should have thrown someone else out there at quarterback. They eventually did, in the waning seconds. It turns out their "backup" (really their fourth-stringer) is named David Fales. So the Jets' quarterbacks right now are named Falk and Fales, the two most common words people apply to the Jets.

The Packers' defense looked great through one game, good in the next two games, and dreadful in the last two games. The Cowboys had 563 yard of offense. They moved the ball the whole game. The only reason they didn't score in the first half was because of turnovers and missed field goals, which is the same reasons they lost the game--three turnovers and two missed field goals. The Packers offense, meanwhile, was OK, but again very conservative at times, kicking from the 2-yard-line in the first half and basically trying to run out the clock from the end of the third quarter. To be fair, Davante Adams was out, which meant the Packers had no reliable receivers. And besides his ludicrous -10 yard run near the end, Aaron Jones looked great, not because of four touchdowns (an overrated stat for a running back) but because he consistently found holes and beat defenders to the outside. Amari Cooper, by the way, has 85 catches and 1,237 yards with 11 touchdowns in 14 games with the Cowboys since being traded from the Raiders. In the 20 games preceding that trade, he had 70 catches for 960 yards and 8 touchdowns. There's nothing the Raiders can touch that won't turn to crap.

Finally, I want to add that I watched the highlights of the Jags-Panthers game, and I realized who Gardner Minshew is. He made some great throws and also turned the ball over three times. Minshew is a younger, more mobile version of Ryan Fitzpatrick. In other words, he will always be more interesting as a person than he will be good as a player. I'm looking forward to the next 15 years of Minshew.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » October 7th, 2019, 1:44 am

Yeah, a rather easy cruise to a victory today for the Eagles against the oh-so-lowly Jets. The Jets’ offense is Le’Veon Bell and literally nothing else. Started to feel bad for Luke Falk who got sacked like 9 or 10 times.

And kudos to the Packers for beating the Cowboys, that certainly helps the Eagles who are now tied with Dallas atop the NFC East.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

sebby

Post by sebby » October 7th, 2019, 7:48 am

Every Bears loss the last two years has been painful. Either giving games away at the last second or falling short of a thrilling comeback. Just gonna be another year that they're good enough to get my hopes up but will let me down in the end. They are becoming the Romo-era Cowboys, I can feel it :(

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » October 7th, 2019, 2:38 pm

Jay Gruden was fired by the Redskins, no surprise there, but I read that owner Dan Snyder (a terrible owner as far as football operations go, and seems to be a bag of shit as a person) summoned Gruden to come in at 5:00am this morning just to be told he's outta here. Ahh, the Redskins...

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » October 7th, 2019, 3:04 pm

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 2:38 pm
Jay Gruden was fired by the Redskins, no surprise there, but I read that owner Dan Snyder (a terrible owner as far as football operations go, and seems to be a bag of shit as a person) summoned Gruden to come in at 5:00am this morning just to be told he's outta here. Ahh, the Redskins...
There's something just weird about that story. I'd like to assume that Gruden usually comes into work very early (which isn't uncommon among workaholic NFL coaches). Otherwise, he should have told Washington to fuck off and he will report to work at his usual time. Either way, Washington will remain an epic embarrassment. Check this out: https://deadspin.com/it-is-easier-to-fi ... 1838825512

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » October 7th, 2019, 3:11 pm

blocho wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 3:04 pm
GruesomeTwosome wrote:
There's something just weird about that story. I'd like to assume that Gruden usually comes into work very early (which isn't uncommon among workaholic NFL coaches). Otherwise, he should have told Washington to fuck off and he will report to work at his usual time. Either way, Washington will remain an epic embarrassment. Check this out: https://deadspin.com/it-is-easier-to-fi ... 1838825512
Haha (regarding the Deadspin article and the lack of actual Redskins fans at their own stadium). I went to college in the DC area and was able to go to FedEx Field once during that time for an Eagles-Redskins game, in the 2009 season, and I distinctly recall how Eagles fans basically took over that stadium. That franchise will seriously never be Super Bowl-competitive so long as Dan Snyder is still in control there.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » October 8th, 2019, 12:49 am

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 3:11 pm
blocho wrote:
GruesomeTwosome wrote:
Haha (regarding the Deadspin article and the lack of actual Redskins fans at their own stadium). I went to college in the DC area and was able to go to FedEx Field once during that time for an Eagles-Redskins game, in the 2009 season, and I distinctly recall how Eagles fans basically took over that stadium. That franchise will seriously never be Super Bowl-competitive so long as Dan Snyder is still in control there.
Substitute Cincinnati and the Brown family, and that's pretty much how I (and just about every Bengals fan I know) feels....

The Buckeyes, on the other hand... :)

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » October 8th, 2019, 3:54 pm

blocho wrote:
GruesomeTwosome wrote:
Further reporting shows that Gruden packed up his office after the game Sunday and slept at the team's facilities before going to the firing squad at 5 a.m. That's pretty weird, but at least it suggests that he was told he was getting fired directly after the game or had been told leading up to the game that he would be fired if he lost. None of this matters, but I thought I would just close the loop.

What's crazy is I remember making fun of my philosophy professor in college for being a fan of Washington, which I called worst-run team in the league. That was 14 years ago. There is only one path forward for Washington, and it requires two linked actions: Change the fucking name already. And get rid of Snyder. The first is impossible without the second.

The Snyder situation makes me think of the situation that afflicts a team I used to love--the Knicks. The Knicks and Washington are similar because they've both endured 20 years that would have been merciful if they were only defined by sheer incompetence. But no, these teams have gone beyond mere incompetence. They've been vindictive and shitty and sometimes abusive to their players, fans, and alumni. And in both cases, it is clear that nothing changes unless ownership changes.

I gave up on the Knicks once and for all after the Porzingis trade last year. That was the moment I realized that not only did I have no hope of the Knicks succeeding but I actually didn't want them to succeed. The person who benefits the most if the Knicks were to succeed is that piece of shit Dolan. I can't accept that. And I realized that Dolan will never sell the team. So there are only two hopes:
- Dolan dies (He's 64 and could definitely go another 20-30 years).
- A fan boycott. This is a pipe dream and will never happen. But imagine if everyone in New York refused to go to Knicks games, watch the Knicks on TV, and buy Knicks gear until Dolan sells the team? That's the only weapon that fans have. Washington fans could do the same for their team. It's a pipe dream, but it's a beautiful one.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » October 8th, 2019, 7:20 pm

Oh yeah, Dan Snyder's defiance about keeping the Redskins name is a whole 'nother story with him...ugh.

Does Spike Lee still go to all the Knicks home games? He's been the celebrity face of their fanbase for a long time, he should speak up and lead the charge against Dolan.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » October 9th, 2019, 6:35 pm

The Washington-Miami Toilet Bowl this weekend should be something to behold. Washington is a three-point favorite. A lot of statistics have shown that Miami has had statistically the worst four-game start ... ever.

In fact, it's a banner year for terrible football teams. The Broncos had neither a sack nor a takeaway in their first three games, which had never happened since sacks started being recorded in 1982. Meanwhile, the Jets offense is averaging 3.16 yards per play, which is the lowest mark since 1976. Yes, the Jets have been playing their third-stringer for the past couple of weeks. But a lot of teams have had to do that since 1976.

tirefeet

Post by tirefeet » October 10th, 2019, 1:39 pm

Chargers C Pouncey done for the year due to neck injury :( He will be replaced by LG Dan Feeney who will likely be replaced by highly touted Forrest Lamp.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » October 13th, 2019, 9:56 pm

Gahhh, the Eagles looked pretty bad against the Vikings. Downright embarrassing at times in the first half when Cousins was launching bombs to Stefon Diggs for easy TDs; the Eagles secondary is deeply troubling. I felt like the Vikings could have gone deep even more if they wanted to run it up. The Birds are 3-3 now, much deserved, just inconsistent as hell.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » October 15th, 2019, 3:31 am

I'm on vacation, so I didn't catch a lick of football (or even see the scores) until tonight's game. Kind of a herky-jerk affair, back and forth, a lot of mistakes by both teams. My main take away is that at this point the Packers are winning some games they really don't deserve to. I'm normally a person who thinks that bad calls even out, but the Lions got jobbed with two phantom hands-to-the-face penalties and a missed pass interference on the Lions' last drive.

All that being said, I'm pumped about the win. I especially liked the kicker, Mason Crosby, taking a Lambeau Leap after the game-winning field goal. I've never seen a kicker take a Lambeau Leap, and I've also never seen a player manage the leap only because another player came over and basically threw him into the stands (kickers have strong legs but usually not a big vertical).

sebby

Post by sebby » October 15th, 2019, 6:23 am

That was a joke of a game. As a Bears fan I somehow dislike the Lions more than the Pack, but even I can admit that Detroit got hosed. This loss will likely cost them a shot at the playoffs. Division is too tough and the tie will probably come back to haunt them. I only recently started watching the NFL again and I'm reminded why I quit. Game was a chore to watch and the refs essentially decided who won. Bleh.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 27th, 2019, 6:30 pm

I'm a happy max today.

I'm sitting by myself in a hotel room. I have football on the TV, beer in the fridge, and pizza to eat. No plans, no responsibilities, and no on around to irritate me.

Of course, it would be awesome if I could watch something better than the yawn of the Colts-Broncos game or the sloppy Bills-Eagles game.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » October 27th, 2019, 6:42 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 6:30 pm
I'm a happy max today.

I'm sitting by myself in a hotel room. I have football on the TV, beer in the fridge, and pizza to eat. No plans, no responsibilities, and no on around to irritate me.

Of course, it would be awesome if I could watch something better than the yawn of the Colts-Broncos game or the sloppy Bills-Eagles game.
Pats- Browns coming at ya. I just know that's more exciting for you. Hee hee :turned:

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 27th, 2019, 6:55 pm

peeptoad wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 6:42 pm
maxwelldeux wrote:
I'm a happy max today.

Pats- Browns coming at ya. I just know that's more exciting for you. Hee hee :turned:
That game I'm expecting to be a car wreck - morbid to watch, but I'll be fascinated to see just how bad.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » October 27th, 2019, 7:39 pm

So, where do I say "Go Bokkies!" woot woot ?

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

tirefeet

Post by tirefeet » October 27th, 2019, 8:00 pm

Chargers have something going their way since week 1.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » October 27th, 2019, 8:04 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
I'm a happy max today.

Well I’m certainly happy with the result of this sloppy Eagles-Bills game. 😁 The Birds sure as hell needed this, their season was just about to fully go off the rails.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

sebby

Post by sebby » October 27th, 2019, 8:50 pm

Welp, I think I'm done watching football for the year.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 27th, 2019, 9:05 pm

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 8:04 pm
maxwelldeux wrote:
I'm a happy max today.

Well I’m certainly happy with the result of this sloppy Eagles-Bills game. 😁 The Birds sure as hell needed this, their season was just about to fully go off the rails.
It got a lot better than it was early on. I'm not sure what to think of the Bills, but I knew you'd be happy on that result.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 27th, 2019, 9:06 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 6:55 pm
peeptoad wrote:
maxwelldeux wrote:
I'm a happy max today.

That game I'm expecting to be a car wreck - morbid to watch, but I'll be fascinated to see just how bad.
Three turnovers on three consecutive plays, including the stupidest interception I've ever seen. WOW. :circle:

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 27th, 2019, 9:08 pm

sebby wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 8:50 pm
Didn't see it, but the headlines on the game don't bode well for the Bears or their head coach.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » October 27th, 2019, 9:14 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 9:06 pm
maxwelldeux wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 6:55 pm
peeptoad wrote:

Three turnovers on three consecutive plays, including the stupidest interception I've ever seen. WOW. :circle:

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 27th, 2019, 9:17 pm

Ah yes. Darth Belichick.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » October 27th, 2019, 9:24 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 9:17 pm
Ah yes. Darth Belichick.
NO! That's Emperor Palpatine - he's back for the next Star Wars film doncha know?

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 27th, 2019, 9:34 pm

xianjiro wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 9:24 pm
maxwelldeux wrote:
Ah yes. Darth Belichick.
NO! That's Emperor Palpatine - he's back for the next Star Wars film doncha know?
To the Browns: "Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the dark side."

sebby

Post by sebby » October 27th, 2019, 9:41 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 9:08 pm
sebby wrote:
Didn't see it, but the headlines on the game don't bode well for the Bears or their head coach.
Bad Mitch, bad coach, return of bad kicking game. This team is toast. And the lovely thing is that our first round pick after this disaster season goes straight to Oakland.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 27th, 2019, 9:43 pm

sebby wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 9:41 pm
maxwelldeux wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 9:08 pm
sebby wrote:
Bad Mitch, bad coach, return of bad kicking game. This team is toast. And the lovely thing is that our first round pick after this disaster season goes straight to Oakland.
I guess that's good news for any Vegas fans... :lol:

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » October 27th, 2019, 9:45 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 9:34 pm
xianjiro wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 9:24 pm
maxwelldeux wrote:
Ah yes. Darth Belichick.
To the Browns: "Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the dark side."
You know it!

We have (well, nowadays, had) a joke in Portland: Know why Portland doesn't have an NFL franchise?
SpoilerShow
Because then Seattle would want one too!
But that was circa 1991.

I think we should have a team called the Portland Chinooks (if the tribe would be cool with that) or the Portland ... thinking ... I like Castrators - while apropos, I know the NFL wouldn't agree - or Castigators. But this is football, so Portland Cretins could also work. (ducking)

:banana: Go Bokkies!!! :banana: Cream the Pommies!!! :cheers: IDK, might have to figure out how to watch that game, but that's almost always a curse for whatever team I root for. :think: Hmmm, wonder how I turn that into a money maker without betting? :think:

sol can find me here

sebby

Post by sebby » October 27th, 2019, 9:54 pm

I think Portland does eventually get an MLB team in a few years. Portland Sidewalk Homeless Encampment has a nice ring to it.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » October 27th, 2019, 10:24 pm

sebby wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 9:54 pm
I think Portland does eventually get an MLB team in a few years. Portland Sidewalk Homeless Encampment has a nice ring to it.
That's the proposed park name.

But given the history, I'd expect a name like Beavers (blah) or Pioneers (okay) or Webfeet (?? but probably not), but we could also go with Brawlers or Beaters or APPs could work.

sol can find me here