Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 2010s (Results), 0 Official Lists (Jul 31st), 1960 (Aug 9th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Sibiriada, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2G: Russia vs Portugal (Aug 6th), Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

American Football lounge

blocho
Donator

Re: American Football lounge

Post by blocho » January 6th, 2020, 1:23 am

Tough break for the Eagles. I don't ever remember a more injured team in the playoffs. I also have to say that I don't know I've ever seen a more dominant performance by a defensive tackle than what Fletcher Cox did today.

Meanwhile, the Saints' playoff agony continues. And I have a feeling that we will never hear the end of the whining from their fans about pass interference.

Meanwhile the Packers can look forward to the Seahawks. The last time they met in the playoffs made me more angry than I have ever been as a football fan.

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » January 6th, 2020, 1:40 am

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » January 6th, 2020, 1:58 am

I thought I should mention two RIPs:

Sam Wyche, who had stints as coach of the Bengals and the Bucs.

And Mike Isaacs, who played offensive line for Fordham from 1984 to 1986, and years later was my line coach in high school, helping lead us to a conference title during my junior year. He was loud, he was tough, he was fun, and he was a mensch.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » January 6th, 2020, 2:11 am

Holy shit there's a lot to react to here...

- Go 'Hawks!
- Not surprising about Garrett, though the past week has been weird for them.
- RIP Wyche and Isaacs!

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » January 6th, 2020, 2:31 am

blocho wrote:
January 6th, 2020, 1:58 am
I thought I should mention two RIPs:

Sam Wyche, who had stints as coach of the Bengals and the Bucs.

And Mike Isaacs, who played offensive line for Fordham from 1984 to 1986, and years later was my line coach in high school, helping lead us to a conference title during my junior year. He was loud, he was tough, he was fun, and he was a mensch.
Forrest Gregg passed away last spring, and now Sam Wyche. Both of the HC that took the Bengals to the Superbowl. :(

College in the mid 80s means your high school coach would've been in his mid-late 50's? Too young.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » January 7th, 2020, 12:51 am

The Browns firing John Dorsey and the Rams letting Wade Phillips walk are already the two most puzzling moves of the offseason.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » January 7th, 2020, 3:43 am

blocho wrote:
January 7th, 2020, 12:51 am
The Browns firing John Dorsey and the Rams letting Wade Phillips walk are already the two most puzzling moves of the offseason.
What do you make of your ol’ pal Mike McCarthy as new head coach of the Cowboys?
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » January 7th, 2020, 4:05 am

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
January 7th, 2020, 3:43 am
blocho wrote:
January 7th, 2020, 12:51 am
What do you make of your ol’ pal Mike McCarthy as new head coach of the Cowboys?
Here's what I wrote to my brother earlier today:
"Cowboys hiring McCarthy seems like a clear reaction to playoff losses in 2015 and 2017. I am looking forward to the battles between McCarthy and Jerry Jones. And McCarthy and Kellen Moore. And McCarthy and Dak Prescott."

McCarthy will get to loggerheads with Jones at some point, but my comment was mostly just cynical humor. To be honest, though I was fed up with McCarthy by last season, I can't say he was a bad or even a mediocre coach. His record with the Packers was 125-77-2 in the regular season and 10-8 in the playoffs. Even if most of the credit is given to Rodgers and to a good front office, I don't think that record is possible with a bad or average coach. It's also notable that the Packers were 4-12 the year before he arrived, and he got them to 13-3 by his second year. I first started doubting McCarthy because he was so conservative in punt/kick/go-for-it situations and when playing with the lead and at the end of the half. The 2015 NFC championship game was a particular rupture, when I think McCarthy's caution cost the Packers the game. In addition, McCarthy seemed happy to let Dom Capers run a crappy defense for many years, and by last year the offense was completely stagnant. It seemed like whatever he once had (McCarthy was one of the first to use RPOs in the NFL) wasn't working anymore.

Now McCarthy swears that he's spent his year off rejuvenating his playbook and methods. We'll see. Either way, I think he'll probably be better than Garrett, but the results might not work out because the Cowboys are going to be in salary cap hell for a few years. This time the next year, their roster will be top-loaded with about 10 very expensive players, and they'll have to go cheap on the other 40.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » January 7th, 2020, 4:50 pm

I've become obsessed with this play from the Texans-Bills game. When I saw it live, it just seemed like a good example of Deshaun Watson's athleticism, which is not exactly a surprise. But then I saw it again yesterday while reading some online analysis of the weekend games. And what stands out to me is not Watson but rather running back Duke Johnson (#25), who makes a play that I don't think I've ever seen in my life.

This play is a bootleg and sprintout for Watson to the right side. Duke Johnson, who begins lined up behind the left tackle, is the underneath receiver, but his actions make clear that this play was designed as a sprintout with a strong QB keeper option. Two seconds into the play, as Johnson crosses the right hash, and while he is only four yards in front of Watson, he starts motioning to Watson to keep the ball. This is already unusual. Other players usually don't give quarterbacks signals on what to do during the play. And on the rare occasions they do, it's usually because they want the QB to pass them the ball. Johnson does not want the ball. He's seen that there's only one player between Watson and the end zone, and Johnson knows he can block him. And that's what Johnson does -- he turns upfield and pushes Bills safety Jordan Poyer (#21) two yards back.

Good job, Duke, your work is done, right? Not quite, because here's the remarkable part. As Johnson turns to block Poyer, he also notices that Bills linebacker Tremaine Edmunds (#49) has an angle on the play. So Johnson embarks on what can only be described as a risky strategy, so risky that it verges on stupidity. He tries to block both players. This is foolhardy. No offensive player is ever coached to block two defenders singlehandedly, certainly not when either one can still make a play on the ball carrier. Johnson, somehow, pulls it off. Even as he keeps Poyer occupied with extended arms, he shifts his weight and starts running backwards. He takes four steps backwards to put him on a collision course with Edmunds just as Edmunds is about to reach Watson. And it works. Edmunds crashes into Johnson, while Poyer is just a step too far to reach Watson before the end zone.

A running back blocked two defenders at the same time on a pivotal play in a playoff game. And no one noticed. Duke Johnson, who has never run for more than 410 yards in a season, will never be a star. Ten years from now, NFL fans will have forgotten him. But I think he made one of the best plays I've ever seen.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » January 11th, 2020, 6:35 am

Well, I have no clue what's going to happen this weekend. I'm not going to try to predict again, after falling on my face last week (in my defense, how could I know the Eagles would play most of their game with a 40-year-old with a torn hamstring at quarterback). I will say, though, that we should expect one or two upsets. And it should be no surprise who I think will fall. The Packers are simply not built to contain the Seahawks. Green Bay traditionally struggles against mobile quarterbacks, though the Packers haven't faced one all season. I expect the Pack will try to deal with Wilson by playing a lot of zone or by putting a spy on him. Either strategy will open up the secondary to easier completions. Still, the Packers have shown enough this year that I think it will be close.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » January 11th, 2020, 6:46 am

blocho wrote:
January 11th, 2020, 6:35 am
Well, I have no clue what's going to happen this weekend. I'm not going to try to predict again, after falling on my face last week (in my defense, how could I know the Eagles would play most of their game with a 40-year-old with a torn hamstring at quarterback). I will say, though, that we should expect one or two upsets. And it should be no surprise who I think will fall. The Packers are simply not built to contain the Seahawks. Green Bay traditionally struggles against mobile quarterbacks, though the Packers haven't faced one all season. I expect the Pack will try to deal with Wilson by playing a lot of zone or by putting a spy on him. Either strategy will open up the secondary to easier completions. Still, the Packers have shown enough this year that I think it will be close.
Yeah, I think the best chances of upsets are both on the NFC side. The Vikings may be a bit better than I had thought, so perhaps they could upset the Niners. I still slightly favor the Packers and Niners in these two games, but I could still quite easily see them go the other way. Whereas on the AFC side, I think the Ravens and Chiefs will take care of business.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

sebby

Post by sebby » January 11th, 2020, 11:57 am

Niners in a close-ish one
Seahawks in a blowout
Ravens in a blowout
Chiefs in a wild one

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » January 11th, 2020, 4:13 pm

I ain't gonna predict who'll win the Vikings-9'ers game (9ers have to be the favorites and VIkes have some weaknesses, but it's anyone's game). I do hope the Seahawks can clobber the Packers, though.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » January 12th, 2020, 5:25 am

Well, that Ravens-Titans game did not go how I expected. A lot of people are going to talk about the Titans amazing running game, but this game wasn't about the Titans offense. It was about the Ravens turning the ball over six times (three turnovers on downs). Six turnovers to zero. That's the whole game. And that disparity led to one of the strangest statistical games I can remember. The Ravens outgained the Titans by 230 yards and lost by 16. The Ravens had 530 yards and scored 12 points. That's the result of turnovers. I really don't know what the Titans did schematically to shut down the Ravens, but I'm looking forward to finding out. One more thing: Lamar was great at times and terrible at times today. But one thing I didn't know about him is that he has a lot of trouble throwing a spiral. It seemed to me that the majority of his passes fluttered. Sometimes it didn't matter because the ball still got to the right target, but I've never seen a professional quarterback throw such a consistently wobbly ball.

Niners ... wow. Definitely the Super Bowl favorite now, though Garoppolo still makes a few shaky throws every game. Also, the Vikings punting while down 17 with nine minutes to go was one for the ages.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » January 12th, 2020, 4:23 pm

blocho wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 5:25 am
Niners ... wow. Definitely the Super Bowl favorite now, though Garoppolo still makes a few shaky throws every game. Also, the Vikings punting while down 17 with nine minutes to go was one for the ages.
Yeah. Not even mad, the 9ers were flat out better in every aspect of the game. No shame in losing to a better team, especially when that team actually plays well on the day.

And the Vikings typically play conservative on offense (and defense, tbh). Is it any wonder that Stefanski (offensive coordinator) is a head coaching candidate for the Browns?
ImageImageImageImage

sebby

Post by sebby » January 12th, 2020, 9:51 pm

sebby wrote:
January 11th, 2020, 11:57 am
Chiefs in a wild one
Already the wildest first half of postseason football I've ever seen. Hopefully the Chiefs don't run away with it and the game stays close.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » January 12th, 2020, 10:10 pm

Yeah this Chiefs-Texans game is indeed pretty nuts. Big comeback by the Chiefs, and it looks like their momentum might actually turn this into a blowout for them, we’ll see.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » January 12th, 2020, 10:36 pm

Knaldskalle wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 4:23 pm
Is it any wonder that Stefanski (offensive coordinator) is a head coaching candidate for the Browns?
And the Browns just hired him as their new head coach. :lol:

EDIT: "Including interim coach Gregg Williams, Stefanski is set to be the fourth Cleveland coach in three seasons when 2020 kicks off. " - nfl.com
ImageImageImageImage

sebby

Post by sebby » January 12th, 2020, 11:08 pm

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 10:10 pm
Yeah this Chiefs-Texans game is indeed pretty nuts. Big comeback by the Chiefs, and it looks like their momentum might actually turn this into a blowout for them, we’ll see.
And indeed it has. Not sure I can remember the last time a blowout for one team turned into a blowout for the other. Chiefs have outscored Houston 51-7 since going down 24-0. Just crazy. Next week's game against Tennessee should be fun. The Titans are the best 9-7 team we have seen in a very long time. Having the best RB in football is almost a prerequisite to beating KC since it allows you to limit their possessions, and Derrick Henry is as good as it gets.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » January 12th, 2020, 11:18 pm

sebby wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 11:08 pm
GruesomeTwosome wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 10:10 pm
And indeed it has. Not sure I can remember the last time a blowout for one team turned into a blowout for the other. Chiefs have outscored Houston 51-7 since going down 24-0. Just crazy. Next week's game against Tennessee should be fun. The Titans are the best 9-7 team we have seen in a very long time. Having the best RB in football is almost a prerequisite to beating KC since it allows you to limit their possessions, and Derrick Henry is as good as it gets.
Yeah I kinda figured that once the Chiefs got rolling, they wouldn’t let up. I’m really rooting for the Titans, yeah, I didn’t see this coming for them. I don’t care if the Patriots and Brady may finally be on the downswing now, it’s still impressive to beat them in the wild-card round and then to take down what had been the best team in the league, the Ravens, in the next round (and of course doing this all on the road). And I’m happy for Ryan Tannehill, whose career seemed to be basically dead after the Dolphins finally gave up on him and he was just supposed to be a solid backup to Mariota.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » January 13th, 2020, 3:03 am

Knaldskalle wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 10:36 pm
Knaldskalle wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 4:23 pm
Is it any wonder that Stefanski (offensive coordinator) is a head coaching candidate for the Browns?
And the Browns just hired him as their new head coach. :lol:

EDIT: "Including interim coach Gregg Williams, Stefanski is set to be the fourth Cleveland coach in three seasons when 2020 kicks off. " - nfl.com
Wow. I read some people joking about Stefanski getting hired by Cleveland during and after that game yesterday. I didn't think the Browns would go out and do it.

Of course, it doesn't really matter. However good or bad Stefanski is, I don't think he can have much success in Cleveland. As with Washington, the problem is ownership, and it's a problem that's not going away.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » January 13th, 2020, 3:10 am

Well, that Packers-Seahawks game did not go how I expected! I'm a bit stunned really. It was a classic 2019 Packers win: Steadily build a solid lead in the first half, suffer a defensive collapse in the second half, stare in bewilderment as Rodgers throws multiple passes away and then pouts and rolls his eyes, somehow eke it out in the end. Whatever! I'm looking forward to the spanking next week. We're on to Santa Clara!

One thing I can't figure out is the Seahawks' defensive game plan. It's hard to overstate how garbage the Packers receivers are beyond Davante Adams. Lazard, MVS, and Allison are all subpar. Jimmy Graham is the definition of underperforming. And then Lazard got hurt. Yet, for reasons beyond my understanding, the Seahawks did not double cover Adams. And he roasted the Seahawks and gained 45% of the Packers total yards. That's also why the Packers got out of so many bad third-and-long situations.

Also, we got another immediately infamous coaching decision in the triangle: Peter Carroll deciding to punt while down 5 points with 2:41 remaining.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » January 13th, 2020, 4:02 am

Congrats to the Packers. It’ll be very hard for them to beat the Niners, but some much crazier things have already happened in these playoffs. If the Titans are somehow able to knock off the Chiefs, that could very well be the most impressive (and unlikely) run to the Super Bowl we’ve ever seen. But like the Niners-Packers matchup, I do favor the home team.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » January 14th, 2020, 3:17 pm

I thought Joe Burrow was pretty damn impressive two weeks ago in the semifinals. Last night he was even better. Every throw was perfect. It seems certain that he will be the first overall pick and playing for the Bengals next year.

Also, doesn't Burrow kind of look like Joe Kane from the underrated football drama The Program?

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » January 14th, 2020, 4:55 pm

I want Marshawn Lynch to be my life coach:
https://twitter.com/NFL_Memes/status/12 ... 2684695553

On the very short list of my favorite players who were not Packers, Marshawn is probably at the top.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » January 14th, 2020, 5:15 pm

Heh, I love me some Beast Mode, too.

As for the conference championship games...I'll probably still watch it, but honestly the Packers-Niners matchup doesn't do a whole lot for me, those teams just don't interest me much at all, and I find the Chiefs-Titans matchup much more intriguing. The Mahomes factor and the Titans "Cinderella" aspect. Also, as an Eagles fan, I'm interested to see if Andy Reid can make it to the Super Bowl again, and possibly get it done this time. He probably becomes a Hall of Fame coach if he finally gets a Super Bowl ring, if you look at his overall number of wins and winning percentage, for an extended period of time with two separate franchises.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » January 14th, 2020, 6:07 pm

blocho wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 4:55 pm

On the very short list of my favorite players who were not Packers, Marshawn is probably at the top.
As a Seattle fan, his role as himself in the Season 7 opener of The League ranks among television's funniest moments for me.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » January 14th, 2020, 7:58 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 6:07 pm
blocho wrote:

As a Seattle fan, his role as himself in the Season 7 opener of The League ranks among television's funniest moments for me.
I haven't seen that somehow. I quit The League sometime in season 3. I'm impressed they made it to a seventh season.

This was the moment I realized I loved Marshawn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNpkSyr ... verified=1

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » January 14th, 2020, 11:29 pm

blocho wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 7:58 pm
maxwelldeux wrote:
blocho wrote:

I haven't seen that somehow. I quit The League sometime in season 3. I'm impressed they made it to a seventh season.

That just gets increasingly ridiculous... and hilarious.

Here's the opening to S7:

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » January 15th, 2020, 12:39 am

That is just excellent.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » January 15th, 2020, 12:44 am

blocho wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 12:39 am
That is just excellent.
It was certainly cathartic to see, especially having spent the off season randomly screaming "Why didn't they just run the ball?!?" at any sympathetic ear.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » January 15th, 2020, 1:33 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 11:29 pm
blocho wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 7:58 pm
maxwelldeux wrote:

That just gets increasingly ridiculous... and hilarious.

Here's the opening to S7:
Haha. I was guessing that scene was gonna end with Rafi popping out of nowhere to intercept the beer, but I like how they did it too.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » January 15th, 2020, 5:05 am

Good to see Marshawn mellowed out a bit. He was pretty fuckin' intense when he was at Cal. One dude I did not want to meet in a dark alley. My old boss at Berkeley said that his mom was ecstatic when the Bills drafted him, she figured he wouldn't get into trouble in Buffalo...
ImageImageImageImage

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » January 15th, 2020, 3:13 pm

blocho wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 3:17 pm
I thought Joe Burrow was pretty damn impressive two weeks ago in the semifinals. Last night he was even better. Every throw was perfect. It seems certain that he will be the first overall pick and playing for the Bengals next year.

Also, doesn't Burrow kind of look like Joe Kane from the underrated football drama The Program?

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » January 19th, 2020, 4:49 pm

I talked a lot last week about how my Packers were gonna get their butts kicked. I was proved stupid. It would behoove me to wise up and embrace unchecked optimism. But I just don't think the Packers will win. Their only chance is if Garoppolo starts turning the ball over. Win the turnover battle by two or more and they could win. Otherwise, the Niners just have too much strength on defense.

It's very tempting to pick the Titans. If they beat the best team in the league, surely they can beat the Chiefs, right? And everyone at this point recognizes that they are not a 9-7 team. They are 9-3 over their last 12 games. But I think the Titans enormous spirit and underdog toughness obscures the fact that they beat Baltimore because Baltimore had six turnovers. The same could happen to the Chiefs, of course. But it seems unlikely. That being said, I'm excited to see what strategy the Titans use to limit the Chiefs offense.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » January 19th, 2020, 11:15 pm

It's sad that after every game I see where Romo is announcing, I go away thinking about how Romo is an idiot rather than about the actual game. He had a real gem today when he fucked up one of his fabled predictions. "Handoff to the right here," he said, right before the Chiefs ran to the left. He also messed up with one of these last week. He should pull a Witten and un-retire.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » January 20th, 2020, 12:13 am

blocho wrote:
January 19th, 2020, 11:15 pm
It's sad that after every game I see where Romo is announcing, I go away thinking about how Romo is an idiot rather than about the actual game. He had a real gem today when he fucked up one of his fabled predictions. "Handoff to the right here," he said, right before the Chiefs ran to the left. He also messed up with one of these last week. He should pull a Witten and un-retire.
And yet, still 10000% better than anything Joe Buck/Troy Aikman are doing... :circle:

Chiefs are scary to watch. I've watched relatively little football this season, but I'm not sure Mahomes is always playing the same sport - like when he turns it on, no one can match him. He's varsity, the rest of the NFL is JV.

SB is going to be exciting now... I'm glad Reid/Mahomes are there.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » January 20th, 2020, 1:01 am

Yeesh, this first half of Niners-Packers...sorry, blocho...

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » January 20th, 2020, 1:10 am

That's the Packers team I know. I wonder if LaFleur's halftime plan will be to not change his gameplan, like the last time the Packers got massacred in the first half by the Niners.

Oh well, the Niners can give us all some inspiration. They sucked last year, and it wasn't just because of missing Garoppolo. Their defense gave up the fifth most points in the league in 2018. Look at them now. Who knows what will happen next year.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » January 20th, 2020, 2:57 am

This ended up as a SB that interests me. The NFC game didn't go well for blocho (or the mom of the dogs I'm babysitting, who is also a Packers co-owner), but it was really interesting to see two different styles of domination that will go against each other. Should be interesting.