Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 2019 (Results), Mini-series (Feb 29th), 2009 awards (Mar 3rd), Favorite Movies (Mar 21st), Doubling the Canon (Mar ??)
Challenges: Academy Awards, Africa, African American/Blaxploitation
Film of the Week: Doa al karawan, March nominations (Feb 28th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1D: Australia vs Hungary vs Portugal vs Tajikistan (Mar 1st), 1E: Czechia vs France vs Georgia vs Mexico (Mar 18th)

American Football lounge

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Re: American Football lounge

Post by GruesomeTwosome » December 2nd, 2019, 5:26 am

blocho wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 4:02 am
GruesomeTwosome wrote:
December 1st, 2019, 8:42 am
The Eagles should (key word: SHOULD) be able to beat the lowly Dolphins on Sunday, to go to 6-6 and be tied atop the NFC East with the Cowboys. Goddamn is this division terrible this year.
Brutal. Sorry, GT, that must have been a difficult game to watch. Looked like a vintage Fitzpatrick game - throws a pick on his first pass and is great the rest of the way. The Eagles are somehow not out of the playoff picture, mainly because the race for the NFC East crown has become a race to the bottom. The division winner could very well end with a losing record.

Packers had a good rebound game, mainly because Daniel Jones turned in a vintage Eli-type performance. I see what people like about him, though. He made some good throws. Whether he can figure out how to stop turning over the ball so much will determine his career.

Meanwhile, I'm currently watching the Patriots get their asses handed to them by the Texans. Everyone has known for weeks that the Patriots offense was questionable. Like most, I thought they would figure it out eventually. They haven't, and if the current result holds, we can't say they're a top-three team in the league right now.

A good week for trick plays. I really liked the Dolphins' touchdown pass from the punter to the kicker, and the Texans' reverse speed option with the QB as the pitch option. Never seen either of those plays before.
Ryan Fitzpatrick seems to have the Eagles’ number lately...last year when he was with Tampa Bay, he also torched the Eagles and the Bucs won that game as well. Don’t know what it is about him, I guess that occasional “Fitzmagic” he’s able to conjure up at times seems to work on the Eagles for whatever reason. Yeah, that punter-to-kicker trick play TD was especially brutal. Three straight games now where the Eagles fell for a trick play that resulted in a game-changing TD. Just gotta hope that the Cowboys keep fucking up as well, though the Eagles do actually have to win SOME of these games...argh.

Tom Brady finally seems to be aging, it’s a joy to see the Pats offense struggle (...I say this, but would it surprise me if they figure it out and get back to a Super Bowl yet again? Not really).
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » December 3rd, 2019, 8:46 pm

I was just reading an article on The Ringer which predicted the Panthers would fire Ron Rivera during the offseason. A moment later, I open up nfl.com and see that Rivera has been fired. I don't think Rivera was a particularly good coach, but I always think midseason firings are mostly pointless. The only possible defense is that it can give someone already on staff a chance to take the interim tag and do an on-the-job audition for the full-time role. It's also worth noting that Rivera had a .546 winning percentage during his tenure with the Panthers. Obviously, this year has been a disappointment, but he did lose his starting QB after two games. The Ringer article said turnover at head coach would be more driven by the desires of a new owner than actual results, and I tend to agree.

sebby

Post by sebby » December 8th, 2019, 12:36 am

Joe Burrow seems like the most obvious will-succeed-in-the-NFL QB to come out of college since Andrew Luck. I just can't see him being a bust at all, even if his ceiling isn't as high as someone like Justin Herbert. Not the strongest arm in this class, but I will take elite decision making and accuracy over hyper athleticism and a big arm 9 times out of 10. Will be very interesting to see what happens if the Giants end up with a chance to draft him, as they just drafted Daniel Jones last year. Methinks Danny Dimes will be offloaded (maybe to Chicago?). Then again maybe they take a player like Jerry Jeudy if you believe Daniel Jones is the guy. Or maybe Chase Young who is the next Vonn Miller/Khalil Mack. Really a great year to be picking top 5.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » December 8th, 2019, 1:45 am

sebby wrote:
December 8th, 2019, 12:36 am
Joe Burrow seems like the most obvious will-succeed-in-the-NFL QB to come out of college since Andrew Luck. I just can't see him being a bust at all, even if his ceiling isn't as high as someone like Justin Herbert. Not the strongest arm in this class, but I will take elite decision making and accuracy over hyper athleticism and a big arm 9 times out of 10. Will be very interesting to see what happens if the Giants end up with a chance to draft him, as they just drafted Daniel Jones last year. Methinks Danny Dimes will be offloaded (maybe to Chicago?). Then again maybe they take a player like Jerry Jeudy if you believe Daniel Jones is the guy. Or maybe Chase Young who is the next Vonn Miller/Khalil Mack. Really a great year to be picking top 5.
I'd be shocked if Jones is traded away. I know the Cards set a new paradigm last year with drafting QBs in the first round two years in a row, but I don't think the Giants are ready to do that yet. Jones sucks right now, but he's also shown the ability to make tough passes. I don't think he'll ever be very good. I think if he gets better at avoiding turnovers, he'll be OK, an Eli-type player wavering between good games and three-INT head-scratchers. Of course, if the GM gets fired after the season, as seems possible, I think drafting a first round QB becomes more likely.

sebby

Post by sebby » December 8th, 2019, 3:52 am

blocho wrote:
December 8th, 2019, 1:45 am
sebby wrote:
December 8th, 2019, 12:36 am
I'd be shocked if Jones is traded away. I know the Cards set a new paradigm last year with drafting QBs in the first round two years in a row, but I don't think the Giants are ready to do that yet. Jones sucks right now, but he's also shown the ability to make tough passes. I don't think he'll ever be very good. I think if he gets better at avoiding turnovers, he'll be OK, an Eli-type player wavering between good games and three-INT head-scratchers. Of course, if the GM gets fired after the season, as seems possible, I think drafting a first round QB becomes more likely.
Yeah, I think they do fire their GM and then acquire more picks either by trading down or trading Jones. Ultimately the QB position is so important that if you are in position to acquire a guy you think is top tier, you have to do it unless you already have someone like that in place, and I would be surprised if they believe Jones has that type of ceiling as a player. As you said, he really does feel like Eli 2.0. Pairing someone like Burrow with Barkley and making an effort to improve the O line turns around that garbage offense in one offseason.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » December 9th, 2019, 1:53 am

The Pats got jobbed today by the refs. Not that I'm particularly sympathetic, but I kind of wanted them to win by the end just because I knew that Pats fans would spend the next five years whining about this game. I also have a bad feeling that the NFL is going to react to the bad calls by adding stupid new rules in the offseason, which is something they have spent the last few years already doing.

49ers-Saints was bonkers. Probably the game of the season.

sebby

Post by sebby » December 9th, 2019, 2:41 am

blocho wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 1:53 am
The Pats got jobbed today by the refs. Not that I'm particularly sympathetic, but I kind of wanted them to win by the end just because I knew that Pats fans would spend the next five years whining about this game. I also have a bad feeling that the NFL is going to react to the bad calls by adding stupid new rules in the offseason, which is something they have spent the last few years already doing.

49ers-Saints was bonkers. Probably the game of the season.
Karmic balance as far as I'm concerned. And more than likely if that game goes to OT they still lose given how much trouble they had moving the ball. What I could see them do regarding rule changes is awarding the recovering team that got screwed on the whistle 20 or 25 yards/half the distance to the GL from the spot of the fumble recovery. Not a perfect solution but it feels like the sort of compromise the NFL would go for.

The rule change I want to see, which won't happen, is to allow a team on the outside of the playoffs an opportunity to "jump" a team that's in if that team is 7-9 or worse. We may have a 6 or 7 win team make the playoffs bc of sheer luck of being in an awful division and one or two 10-win teams miss out. If you compare that to baseball, that's like a 70 win team getting in and a 100 win team missing out. Since it benefits the biggest team in the NFL this season, it won't happen, but if some year the Lions won the North with a 7-9 record while the Cowboys missed the postseason going 10-6 or 11-5, all of a sudden it would be a conversation.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » December 9th, 2019, 2:50 am

Completely agree on playoff rules. The top six teams by record should get in for each conference. The winner of the NFC East will probably be 8-8 or 7-9. And some 10-6 or 9-7 team will miss out as a result. This is not the first time this has happened:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_San_ ... ers_season
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Seat ... wks_season

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » December 9th, 2019, 1:40 pm

blocho wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 1:53 am
They did absolutely get jobbed, but they lost because of their own errors... the refs bricked on not calling the TD when it was, but it was the team's fault they couldn't challenge the call. the refs whistling the recovered fumble dead when it was clearly a fumble and was going to be run in for a TD was bogus though. Terrible call, but the Pats lost fair and square. They actually looked pretty shitty last night and makes me rethink spending $250 on a ticket for December 29th. Hope the weather is at least good if that's the best I get to see at Gillette.

I'm about done with football anyway since my cognitive dissonance has to be working at a 100% takeover for me even to fully enjoy it these days.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » December 10th, 2019, 7:29 am

So the Eagles had to come back from being down 17-3 and then go to overtime just to beat the awful, Eli Manning-led Giants...yet I’m still pretty pumped about the win. Just goes to show how incredibly low my expectations have gotten for this team. But hey, they’re still alive in this god-awful NFC East.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » December 15th, 2019, 9:39 pm

I think I need to stop watching the Packers. My team keeps winning, and I keep getting angry at it. I watch games with a mix of dread and fury. The Packers are certainly frustrating, but that attitude really says more about my state of mind (very negative these days) than anything else. I am resolving here and now not to watch the Packers again until the playoffs.

All that being said, I can't fucking stand Matt LaFleur anymore. I don't think he's an awful coach. I just think he makes several weirdly stupid decisions each game. Take the sequence before halftime: Packers have the ball at the Chicago 41 on 4th-and-14 with nine seconds before halftime and no timeouts. There's really only four options here: (1) field goal (2) punt (3) hail mary (4) pass of at least 14 yards to the sidelines. I would have favored hail mary or pass to the sidelines. I would have been fine with a punt. Field goals weren't happening all day with the weather. The Packers invented a new option: Pass to the middle of the field. It was incomplete, and the Bears got a chance at a hail mary of their own. Even if the Packers had completed that pass, time would have run out. There was no upside and only downside to that decision. LaFleur makes three or four decisions like this every game. At this point, I just hate his face.

Anyway, congrats to the Eagles. I kind of would have preferred them to lose. Not because I dislike the Eagles (I certainly prefer them to the Cowboys), but because I thought it would be amusing if the winner of the NFC East finishes 6-10.
Last edited by blocho on December 15th, 2019, 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » December 15th, 2019, 10:49 pm

By the way, I love that Eli threw three picks and got the win anyway. Just a perfect summary of his entire career. His career regular season record is now 117-117, which is also beautifully fitting.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » December 16th, 2019, 3:40 pm

blocho wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 9:39 pm
Anyway, congrats to the Eagles. I kind of would have preferred them to lose. Not because I dislike the Eagles (I certainly prefer them to the Cowboys), but because I thought it would be amusing if the winner of the NFC East finishes 6-10.
Looks like the Eagles will have to scrape and claw their way to wins, going by last week's Giants game and the Redskins game yesterday. I've been really encouraged by the steady, noticeable improvement of rookie running back Miles Sanders, he was fantastic yesterday. I still hope Jordan Howard gets back to full health and if so, is signed back by the Eagles next year, but it wouldn't be a disaster if Sanders ends up being "the guy" next season. Anyways, HUUUUGE Eagles-Cowboys game next weekend. I thought the Rams, the way they had been playing the last couple of weeks, would beat the Cowboys which would have obviously helped the Eagles out. But I should have known better, that Jared Goff would fold like a cheap suit in an important game...man, he sucks.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » December 23rd, 2019, 1:54 am

Bengals officially have the number one overall pick in the draft. Welcome back to Ohio, Joe Burrow.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » December 23rd, 2019, 2:53 am

Loved that Eagles win today. Still need to beat the Giants again next week to win the division. Jerry Jones is probably that much closer to firing Jason Garrett after today, lol.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » December 23rd, 2019, 1:53 pm

I only watched the Eagles-Cowboys game this weekend (I had forgotten there were games on Saturday), and it was a real pleasure to see the Jason Garrett face in the closing minutes, also known as the "I'm out of a job in eight days" face. Also a pleasure to see Jerry Jones walk out of the game while his team still had a chance. The Cowboys are bad, and yet it feels impossible to pinpoint exactly why they are bad. They have a +82 point differential and a losing record. In terms of yardage, they have the league's best offense and 11th best defense ... and a losing record. To be clear, I'm not happy about Garrett getting fired, because that could mean a better coach next year (although those big contracts will hamstring the Cowboys for years, especially because they will have to pay Prescott a fortune this offseason). The Cowboys continued mediocrity is a comfort to us all. Surely, they must be the most despised team in the league after the Patriots. They haven't won a title in more than 20 years, and yet everyone who is not a Dallas fan hates them. Speaking of the Patriots, based on the highlights I watched, we should all be nervous about their offense getting its act together.

Anyway, congrats to the Eagles, who will surely lose in the first round (assuming they don't blow it next week). Meanwhile, I'm sticking to my promise from last week. No Packers game for me tonight.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » December 23rd, 2019, 5:05 pm

Yeah, I actually don't want Garrett to be fired - keep that dork as the Cowboys coach as long as possible, he's the gift that keeps on giving to the Eagles. As long as the Eagles take care of business next week against the Giants (still not a given, certainly), as it stands now they would face the Seahawks in the wild-card round. I certainly do NOT like that match-up, but it is a little encouraging that the lowly Cardinals seemed to handle the Seahawks quite well yesterday, winning 27-13. Plus, the Seahawks lost their top running back Chris Carson, so that would help.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » December 23rd, 2019, 8:13 pm

blocho wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 1:53 pm
The Cowboys continued mediocrity is a comfort to us all. Surely, they must be the most despised team in the league after the Patriots. They haven't won a title in more than 20 years, and yet everyone who is not a Dallas fan hates them. Speaking of the Patriots, based on the highlights I watched, we should all be nervous about their offense getting its act together.
People who don't watch football often have the Cowboys as their "favorite" team, while most people who do watch football hate their guts.
GruesomeTwosome wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 5:05 pm
as it stands now they would face the Seahawks in the wild-card round. I certainly do NOT like that match-up, but it is a little encouraging that the lowly Cardinals seemed to handle the Seahawks quite well yesterday, winning 27-13. Plus, the Seahawks lost their top running back Chris Carson, so that would help.
That was a divisional game, don't get fooled. Both teams know each other well.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » December 23rd, 2019, 9:02 pm

@ Knaldskalle: True, that’s a fair point. But they’ll certainly be short-handed at running back come playoff time, whoever they face...Penny went down a few weeks ago, now Carson. Apparently they’re desperate enough to try to get Marshawn Lynch back.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » December 24th, 2019, 3:32 pm

MARSHAWN is back!!!!

Last edited by blocho on December 28th, 2019, 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » December 28th, 2019, 11:06 pm

I decided to tune into the college football playoffs today because I wanted to have a look at Joe Burrow and Jalen Hurts. I only needed 25 minutes of gametime, by which point LSU was annihilating Oklahoma 42-14. Burrow tied the all-time LSU record for touchdown passes in a game in less than one half. Here's what I saw:

Burrow made a couple of mistimed passes that ended up as incompletions. That's it. No other mistakes, precious few weak spots. He made every single easy throw, several difficult ones, and several all-pro caliber NFL throws. He has a smooth delivery. He can throw deep. He seems to read defenses well. And he's mobile. He's got a dorky look, but that can change with time. I'm a believer.

Hurts ... well, Hurts has had a tough day so far. To be fair to him, I think the LSU defense is so much more powerful than the Oklahoma offense that any quarterback would have a tough day. He's a very agile and effective runner. But I saw him miss a gimme 10-yard pass to a completely open receiver. And I saw him throw three deep balls, all of which seemed like aimless heaves downfield.

So, I'm done with this game, and I'll probably tune back in for the second semifinal later tonight.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » December 29th, 2019, 2:26 pm

I'll be leaving for Gillette stadium shortly... I've never done this before so I hope it's not too crazy. :(

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » December 29th, 2019, 11:37 pm

peeptoad wrote:
December 29th, 2019, 2:26 pm
I'll be leaving for Gillette stadium shortly... I've never done this before so I hope it's not too crazy. :(
You seem to have picked a bad day to go... but how was it? Fun? Or overwhelming?

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » December 29th, 2019, 11:59 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
December 29th, 2019, 11:37 pm
peeptoad wrote:
You seem to have picked a bad day to go... but how was it? Fun? Or overwhelming?
Why are the Pats so good against everyone else and so consistently mediocre against Miami (3-3 over the past three years)?

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » December 30th, 2019, 12:19 am

So far so good for the Eagles against the Giants...but holy shit, how many more injuries to their best players can they endure? Miles Sanders better be OK...

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » December 30th, 2019, 3:45 am

Congrats to the Eagles, who were 5-7 four weeks ago, and somehow won four straight despite half their team being injured.

As for the Packers, I'm happy to say that not watching them the past two weeks was the right move for me. There's still something fundamentally wrong with me in terms of how I feel watching my favorite team. I really did not expect a 13-3 season, their best record since 2011, and it really did not feel like a 13-3 team. Today's game being a good example, as the Packers looked like crap for much of the game and nearly dropped an important match-up against a bad team (I did watch the highlights). I'm hopeful that my head will be clearer when I watch the divisional game.

Looking ahead to the playoffs, the clear favorites seem to be the Ravens, the Saints, and the 49ers in that order. Those clearly feel like the three best teams to me. I can see the Chiefs making a run, though they're fighting against the Andy Reid playoff curse. It's also important to remember that occasionally mediocre teams catch fire in the playoffs. We saw that with Baltimore seven years ago and the Giants eight years ago and the Giants again 12 years ago. Who knows? Maybe this is the year for the Bills or the Titans or the Eagles.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » December 30th, 2019, 1:52 pm

blocho wrote:
December 29th, 2019, 11:59 pm
maxwelldeux wrote:
peeptoad wrote:
Why are the Pats so good against everyone else and so consistently mediocre against Miami (3-3 over the past three years)?
That's a good question... and one that was echoed around me, esp by the guy brave enough to wear a Dolphins jersey to a Pats game. :turned:
maxwelldeux wrote:
peeptoad wrote:
It was quite fun and not at all overwhelming... and the weather was nearly perfect: sunny and around 40 degrees for the entire game; pretty good football weather. The fans were all great too; no one near where we sat was obnoxious (and I only saw a couple of really hammered people on the walk back to the car). Yeah, the Pats kind of sucked... not one of their better games, but I can scratch that off the imaginary bucket list I suppose (worst part is no first round bye since they bricked). And we want to go back last year with a chance to plan ahead more (this year we thought of buying tickets in early November, so we can to take what scraps we could get)...

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » December 30th, 2019, 4:46 pm

Well, since it was between either the 49ers or the Seahawks, I'm pleased that the Eagles will be facing Seattle next week. While Seattle has actually been a lot better on the road this year (7-1, which is a little scary), I still like the matchup better for the Eagles...I would have a really tough time seeing the Birds possibly beating the Niners. Seahawks should probably be favored, but I think this will be a competitive, close game. But I do think the Eagles need Miles Sanders to be healthy enough to go; as clutch as Boston Scott was yesterday, they need all the playmakers they can on offense, seeing how depleted they are with injuries. Jordan Howard was suited up and only got in on one play yesterday; I hope that was solely precautionary with an eye towards the playoffs, and that he is good to go next Sunday. That lingering shoulder injury of his was kinda weird and it's still ambiguous as to how healthy he is right now.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » December 30th, 2019, 9:05 pm

Found some data that backs up what I've been saying about the Packers all year. Apparently, they are the second worst 13-3 team since 1985 according to analytics.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » December 31st, 2019, 6:57 am

Get prepared to play the Saints, blocho.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » December 31st, 2019, 2:30 pm

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
December 31st, 2019, 6:57 am
Probably. Saints are scary good, though they have a record of brutal playoff misfortune.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » December 31st, 2019, 2:42 pm

blocho wrote:
December 31st, 2019, 2:30 pm
GruesomeTwosome wrote:
December 31st, 2019, 6:57 am
Probably. Saints are scary good, though they have a record of brutal playoff misfortune.
That's true. And I'm sure they don't want a repeat of what happened to them the last time they played the Vikings in the playoffs, a couple seasons ago with that crazy game-winning Stefon Diggs touchdown. But Kirk Cousins consistently comes up small in big games/games against good teams, so I would be quite shocked if the Vikes somehow beat the Saints.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » January 4th, 2020, 5:09 am

Every year, I try to pick the playoff games, all 11 of them. Not against the spread but straight up. And every year I do pretty badly. I think I started this about 10 or 12 years ago, and I almost always go 6-5 or 5-6. One year I went 7-4. It turns out that I don't know much about football. Or that predicting the future is difficult. Or maybe both. So here are my picks for the wild card round.

Texans over Bills
This is definitely the game I have the least intuition about. I only watched these teams play one game apiece this year.

Patriots over Texans
It feels like a bad idea to pick against the Patriots coming off a loss. And it feels doubly bad picking against them when everyone thinks they don't have what it takes to go deep into the playoffs. On the other hand, the Patriots have yet to beat a good team this year not named the Bills, and Tannehill might be the best quarterback in the league! If only Malcolm Butler were healthy, there would be major revenge game implications here.

Saints over Vikings
After so much playoff heartbreak, are the Saints ready to bust through or fall on their face again? I would lean toward fall on their face, but not in this round. The Vikings have lost three of their last five and look kinda terrible.

Eagles over Seahawks
This is my upset special. There's gotta be one in the first round, and 9-7 division winners actually have a pretty good playoff record. Is there any other reason to pick the Eagles? No. Absolutely not. I can't make sense of this decision. I'm regretting it already. Titans-Patriots will probably be the upset game.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » January 5th, 2020, 12:43 am

blocho wrote:
January 4th, 2020, 5:09 am
Saints over Vikings
After so much playoff heartbreak, are the Saints ready to bust through or fall on their face again? I would lean toward fall on their face, but not in this round. The Vikings have lost three of their last five and look kinda terrible.
Actually, your question should be the other way around: Are the Vikings ready to bust through or fall on their face again after so much playoff heartbreak? No other team has lost as many playoff games as the Vikes (59). I do agree, though, that they looked like crap the last few weeks.

[EDIT: Oh, and some of us still remember Bountygate and the '09 NFC Championship Game. No love lost between fans of the two teams.]
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

sebby

Post by sebby » January 5th, 2020, 4:42 am

I fell asleep around the time the Bills were up by 2 scores. Wondered whether they were actually the second best team in the afc. Woke up and the game was in OT w/ Houston driving toward victory. I often moan about the fate of Chicago sports teams, but man, being a Bills fan has to be something else.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » January 5th, 2020, 5:19 am

Patriots lose, with Brady throwing a pick-six on his last play...nice way to end the night.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » January 5th, 2020, 5:22 am

What a day of football! A lot of excitement, and like every football grump I'm going to only focus on the bad coaching and officiating.

Most coaching decisions are opaque to the viewer. I might have thoughts on whether a particular player should start or be on the bench, whether to call a run or pass, but I really do not know nearly as much as the coaches do in making these decisions. I'm just not privy to the enormous amount of information that goes into their thinking. There is one area of exception, one area where I and many football fans do have more knowledge--the area inside what I call the punt/kick/go-for-it triangle. Years ago it was pretty obvious that coaches were far too cautious when they found themselves within this triangle. And even after a decade of dawning statistical understanding, coaches are still too cautious. Well, today featured more puzzling coaching decisions about the triangle than I can ever remember. There was only one difficult decision that I liked, Bill O'Brien going for it on fourth-and-1 late in the game from the Bills' 30, and ironically it didn't work out. Every other decision just kind of sucked, from O'Brien punting on the first drive of the game, to the Titans punting on 4th-and-4 from the Pat's 35 (!), to the Pats punting with 3:17 left in the game. And I feel like the Bills might have gone for it on 4th-and-27, but there were so many other weird decision that I can't quite remember. I must have imagined that one.

As for officiating, the Texans punched themselves in the dick on the opening kickoff of the second half, and the refs swooped in to save them. The play was an illegal forward pass in the end zone, which should have been ruled a safety. I don't give a damn what the player intended to do. I know what he did do, which was throw a live ball forward. Bills maybe win if this play is called correctly.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » January 5th, 2020, 5:23 am

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
January 5th, 2020, 5:19 am
Patriots lose, with Brady throwing a pick-six on his last play...nice way to end the night.
Pats should have taken the intentional safety there for better field position. Not that it would have mattered -- I just love the intentional safety as a rare strategic move.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » January 5th, 2020, 7:35 am

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
January 5th, 2020, 5:19 am
As a fan of the 2014 Seahawks, hearing this news has made my entire weekend. :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » January 5th, 2020, 10:22 pm

Wow...only in the 1st quarter, and Wentz is out of the game (for now, at least) and being assessed for a possible concussion after a dirty hit to the head by Clowney, and of course no penalty was called by the refs.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd