Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Coming of Age (Results), DtC - Ratings (Results), 1933 (May 12th), 1970s (May 29th)
Challenges: Japan, Mystery/Thriller, Western
Film of the Week: La donna del lago, June nominations (May 28th)

American Football lounge

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

An interesting set of early games. The Jets win again (!) by beating a playoff-bound team, although I should mention that team (the Browns) were missing all of their receivers to covid.

The Chief came so close to losing, but the year's best kicker, breakout star Younghoe Koo, missed a short field goal to tie the game at the end. I'd really like to know how Atlanta limited the Chiefs' offense so much. Their 17 points were the fewest KC has scored in over a year (and Atlanta does not have a good defense).

Congrats to the Jaguars for locking up the Trevor Lawrence pick. The Jaguars won in week 1 against a good Colts team. Then they lost 14 in a row. Sheer determination.

By the way, there were two scorigamis in the four games on Friday/Saturday.

I'm watching Seahawks/Rams right now, and Jared Goff remains the most confounding QB in the league. There are times when he looks fantastic and other times when I think he sucks. He's mostly sucked so far today.
tirefeet

Post by tirefeet »

Thanks to Raiders loss yesterday and ineptitude of the their overall play in 2nd half today, Colts are in a position to become the first team to not obtain a play-off spot with a record of 11-5, given they beat Jaguars next week. This also would be something wondrous since such an occurrence would be happening in a case where 7 teams reach the postseason in a conference comparing to 6 or less before.

The Colts now rely on one of the Steelers, Bills and Bengals to win next week or Titans to crap the bed and lose to Packers today and to Texans next week.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

The 2008 Patriots missed the playoffs with an 11-5 record. That was the Matt Cassel year. The
Chargers were the spoiler that year, winning their division with an 8-8 record.

A quick search shows that the 1985 Broncos also missed the playoffs with an 11-5 record.

Still, both of those happened with a 12-team playoff field. It's crazy that it might happen with a 14-team field.
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome »

Really deflating Eagles performance against the Cowboys...Eagles were off to a 14-3 start, then the Eagles pass defense went to total shit and soon the Eagles offense went into a continual stall. Hurts is actually having a rather “2020 Wentz” type of game right now.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

blocho wrote: December 27th, 2020, 10:44 pm I'm watching Seahawks/Rams right now, and Jared Goff remains the most confounding QB in the league. There are times when he looks fantastic and other times when I think he sucks. He's mostly sucked so far today.
Goff dislocated his thumb during the game. He's scratched for next week. If the Rams lose, they might miss the playoffs. Even if they make the playoffs, it seems Goff will at least miss the first round.

By the way, on an entirely different topic, one thing that drives me absolutely nuts is the decisions coaches make at the end of the first half. How many times have we seen teams have the ball with less than a minute to go and basically give up. It's the old rule about how coaches are never aggressive enough -- they always play not to be embarrassed rather than to win.
- At the end of the first half tonight, the Packers completed a pass to their own 41. There were four seconds left on the clock, and the Packers had a timeout. They didn't take it and let the clock run out. As if Aaron Rodgers doesn't have an extensive history of successful hail mary attempts.
- The Seahawks had the ball at their own 35 with five seconds left. Sixty-five yards is a long distance, but Russell Wilson can definitely heave it that far. But the Seahawks didn't go for the hail mary. Instead they called a running play. What's the point even? If you're just going to give up, take a knee. Why do a running play and risk one of your guys getting hurt?
- The Cardinals had the ball at the 49ers' 47 with four seconds left. They threw a five-yard pass to end the half. Kyler Murray had a successful hail mary EARLIER THIS SEASON. I just don't get it. Why do coaches do this?
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

An interesting note: Packers play Bears next week. If the Bears win, they might play each other again the following week in the first round of the playoffs.
tirefeet

Post by tirefeet »

I remember reading about the Brady's injury year, mixed up my facts after the Houdini act by Colts yesterday :ph43r:

I'd also like to state that this season Deshaun Watson's game really grown on me given I got to watch him fully twice this year, he was pretty much the lone star of his team during the matches against Colts. please beat the titans
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Well, I figured that Washington would part ways with Dwayne Haskins, but I assumed that would happen sometime in the off-season. They just released Haskins earlier today. Ron Rivera & co. don’t mess around.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

It's really rare for a QB to start a game and then get immediately cut the next day. The last time I remember it happening was ... Washington, who cut Jeff George after week 2 in 2001.

https://espn.com/nfl/news/2001/0926/1255517.html

Incidentally, I loved this line from the article on nfl.com: "Once a favorite of owner Dan Snyder, Haskins' fall in Washington came precipitously."

You could replace the name Haskins with about 40 others over the past 20 years and have an equally accurate statement.
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

I just hope Haskins doesn't become the next JaMarcus Russell or something. I don't know much about the guy, other than he seems to have been way too highly evaluated when he was a 1st-round pick in 2019, but the way this year has gone for him he seems at risk to really flame out in a big way.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway »

GruesomeTwosome wrote: December 28th, 2020, 8:25 pm I just hope Haskins doesn't become the next JaMarcus Russell or something. I don't know much about the guy, other than he seems to have been way too highly evaluated when he was a 1st-round pick in 2019, but the way this year has gone for him he seems at risk to really flame out in a big way.
I loved him when he was with OSU, but, I haven't followed his NFL career... Ohio State QBs usually don't do much in the NFL, and I guess he's just the next one (although it's way too early to count him out at this point, I'm sure someone is going to pick him up).
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

GruesomeTwosome wrote: December 28th, 2020, 8:25 pm I just hope Haskins doesn't become the next JaMarcus Russell or something. I don't know much about the guy, other than he seems to have been way too highly evaluated when he was a 1st-round pick in 2019, but the way this year has gone for him he seems at risk to really flame out in a big way.
Well, there were some substance abuse issues with Russell. I haven't heard anything similar about Haskins. Whatever Haskins' faults, he was clearly doomed when he was drafted by Washington. Here's a list of QBs drafted by Washington during the Snyder era:

Dwayne Haskins
Nate Sudfeld
Robert Griffin III
Kirk Cousins
Colt Brennan
Jordan Palmer
Jason Campbell
Gibran Hamdan
Patrick Ramsey
Sage Rosenfels
Todd Husak

It's notable that the best quarterback on that list (Cousins) was the one that Washington repeatedly refused to sign to a long-term deal.
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Looks like it’s all up to Tua to get the Dolphins into the playoffs. Fitzmagic is COVID-positive and won’t be available to come into the game and save the day.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Fitztragic!

Tua's rookie season hasn't lived up to the hype, certainly not compared to Burrow or Herbert. He's shown a good ability not to throw interceptions, but he hasn't been able to move the offense. Fitzpatrick is the opposite -- he'll move the offense but throw picks. Fitzpatrick beat Tua this season in all the all-encompassing stats: passer rating, QBR, ANY/A.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

David Bakhtiari just tore his ACL. I'm crushed. Second most valuable player on the Packers after Rodgers.
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

blocho wrote: January 1st, 2021, 12:19 am David Bakhtiari just tore his ACL. I'm crushed. Second most valuable player on the Packers after Rodgers.
During practice? Yikes, talk about a tough break.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
tirefeet

Post by tirefeet »

Yet the league adds the 17th game, a bit mind-boggling if player safety is a concern. Colts offensive lineman Anthony Castonzo had a season ending surgery as well, hope everything went okay.
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Dolphins are down 28-6 to the Bills at halftime...you just know that if Fitzmagic didn’t get COVID, he’d be coming out of the half as the starter. Looks like Tua is doing a bunch of ineffective dink-and-dunking.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

GruesomeTwosome wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 7:38 pm Dolphins are down 28-6 to the Bills at halftime...you just know that if Fitzmagic didn’t get COVID, he’d be coming out of the half as the starter. Looks like Tua is doing a bunch of ineffective dink-and-dunking.
Bills played their backups in the second half, and the Dolphins still crapped the toilet. And yes, 100% that a healthy Fitzmagic would have led a miracle comeback. By the way, 56-26 is a scorigami!

Tampa's offense is very scary right now, even though their last two games were against garbage teams. Seattle is also scary because their terrible defense somehow became great over the second half of the season.

Week 17 is heart-stopping stuff.
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

How about Cardinals-Rams with playoffs on the line and now BOTH have their backup QB’s in. We knew John Wolford was gonna be in for Goff, but Kyler Murray got injured early in this one and this former CFL quarterback Chris Streveler is in now. He seems like quite the character.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Ah, 15 in a row. That's my Jags!
🏳️‍⚧️
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Streveler vs. Wolford was a matchup for the ages. This is Streveler:

Fitzpatrick 2.0? I looked up his stats in the CFL, which were actually quite bad. I have no clue how he parleyed it into an NFL gig.

Apparently Strever's TD pass was the first by a CFL transplant since Jeff Garcia.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Congrats to the Browns for making the playoffs for the first time in 18 years.

And congrats to the Bears for making the playoffs. Mitchell Trubisky led them there. They need to re-sign him long term.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Derrick Henry ran for 250 yards and broke the 2,000-yard barrier. Jonathan Taylor ran for 250 yards. Davante Adams broke the Packers franchise record for catches in a season and tied the record for touchdown catches in a season. The Titans won the division when their backup kicker hit a field goal off the upright at the last second. What a crazy week 17!
tirefeet

Post by tirefeet »

So Bills will host Colts for their first home postseason game in 25 years and up to 7000 fans will be able to witness it from the stands. Titans get Lamar Jackson.
tirefeet

Post by tirefeet »

I like the enthusiasm from the pbp caller Beth Mowins. She makes the relatively meaningless Raiders-Broncos game quite exciting.
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

I love how the NFL actually flexed that Eagles-Washington shitfest from a 1pm game to Sunday night. Eagles obviously were in tanking mode for a higher draft pick when they sat Hurts for Nate fookin’ Sudfeld in the second half. And yet Washington still looked like crap even with Philly trying to hand them the win. A fittingly embarrassing NFC East finale, what a historically terrible division.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

That was exactly what the NFC east deserved. I only tuned in with about eight minutes left, at which point my first thought was, "Wait, why is Nate Sudfeld playing?" I assumed Hurts was Hurt. Nah, just the Eagles trolling everybody.
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

blocho wrote: January 4th, 2021, 5:43 am That was exactly what the NFC east deserved. I only tuned in with about eight minutes left, at which point my first thought was, "Wait, why is Nate Sudfeld playing?" I assumed Hurts was Hurt. Nah, just the Eagles trolling everybody.
I do admit, I did get some joy from the tears of Giants fans that were up in arms about what the Eagles were doing to cost them a playoff spot. But it’s like...your team was still shitty and 6-10, and had no business being in the playoffs anyway.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
tirefeet

Post by tirefeet »

Chargers have found their QB in Herbert, the likely offensive rookie player of the year. Got the starting job due to a bizarre injury Tyrod Taylor suffered after week one and he broke the record for combined touchdowns (36) for a rookie QB in 15 games which previously belonged to Cam Newton.
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Yeah, Herbert looks like a good one. Finally an Oregon Duck QB that looks like he'll actually pan out in the NFL!

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

GruesomeTwosome wrote: January 4th, 2021, 1:44 pm Yeah, Herbert looks like a good one. Finally an Oregon Duck QB that looks like he'll actually pan out in the NFL!
Mariota, Harrington, Clemens, Akili Smith -- it's a lineage with an inglorious professional record.

By the way, for those who don't know, that "bizarre injury" Tyrod Taylor suffered was having his lung accidentally punctured by a team doctor who was giving him a painkilling shot. Football's a hell of a sport.
sebby

Post by sebby »

Doesn't Ohio State have the same rep w QBs? Fields sure looks like he could be the next Herbert.
Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway »

sebby wrote: January 5th, 2021, 6:05 am Doesn't Ohio State have the same rep w QBs? Fields sure looks like he could be the next Herbert.
OSU hasn't really been all that great at putting QBs into the NFL, at least not until recently with Troy Smith, Terelle Prior, Cardale Jones and Dwayne Haskins. Besides Haskins and unless you count Burrow, which I wouldn't, the only other first round QB they've had was Art Schlichter, who of course flamed out in the most spectacular way possible.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Wow, someone who remembers Art Schlichter. I don't remember him myself, but I've read NFL writers describe him as a dumpster fire. He's currently in prison, but hey -- he did win the Arena Football MVP.

I wouldn't put Ohio State on the same level as Oregon because OSU's quarterbacks, Schlichter and Haskins excepted, have generally not been high picks.

The Oregon QB thing was actually part of a bigger Jeff Tedford thing. A lot of people said Tedford quarterbacks couldn't succeed in the NFL. As an assistant or head coach, he helped develop Trent Dilfer, Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, and Kyle Boller. All first round picks. All disappointments. And then Aaron Rodgers came along and destroyed that theory. But apparently the Tedford criticism is one of the things that caused Rodgers infamous draft day slide. And I kind of get the criticism. When he came out of college, Rodgers had this very rigid style that I remember Joey Harrington also had. I mean that literally -- they both looked very stiff on the field. Rodgers completely changed the way he moved and threw the ball by the time he became a starter.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Browns have at least five people out for their playoff game with Covid: Head Coach Kevin Stefanski, two other unspecified coaches, and two players, including Joel Bitonio, their best offensive lineman.
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Yeah that really sucks for Stefanski especially...your first year as a head coach and you take the Browns and their winning-starved fanbase to the playoffs for the first time in almost two decades, and you have to miss the initial (and what might be the only) playoff game. Talk about a tough break.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

GruesomeTwosome wrote: January 5th, 2021, 9:02 pm Yeah that really sucks for Stefanski especially...your first year as a head coach and you take the Browns and their winning-starved fanbase to the playoffs for the first time in almost two decades, and you have to miss the initial (and what might be the only) playoff game. Talk about a tough break.
Well, something has to suck for the Browns, otherwise the universal balance would be upset.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Knaldskalle wrote: January 5th, 2021, 9:23 pm
GruesomeTwosome wrote: January 5th, 2021, 9:02 pm Yeah that really sucks for Stefanski especially...your first year as a head coach and you take the Browns and their winning-starved fanbase to the playoffs for the first time in almost two decades, and you have to miss the initial (and what might be the only) playoff game. Talk about a tough break.
Well, something has to suck for the Browns, otherwise the universal balance would be upset.
:lol: :lol: Very true! Poor Cleveland. Would love to see them take down the Steelers, especially under these circumstances.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Six football games in two days is a bit too much football. Just one of the reasons I'm not a fan of the new wild card round. But, by golly, I'm going to try to watch it all.