Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: 1933 (Results), 1970s (May 29th), Essential Cinema (Jun 30th)
Challenges: Japan, Mystery/Thriller, Western
Film of the Week: Man Without a Star, June nominations (May 28th)

American Football lounge

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

I didn't know the Pats had this much cap room. It's notable that they're doing this in a year in which the salary cap has decreased by $16 million. Of course, initial salary reports are often misleading. The sticker price is usually nonsense, and even "guaranteed" money is not always guaranteed.
sebby

Post by sebby »

I want to buy an andy dalton jersey just so i can burn it.
Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway »

sebby wrote: March 17th, 2021, 12:05 am I want to buy an andy dalton jersey just so i can burn it.
I actually had one...
sebby

Post by sebby »

Silver lining? Dalton is the worst playoff QB in modern NFL history, but with the garbage team the Bears will field there is no way we have to see him slinging INTs in the postseason. So there's that. I guess.
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome »

Huh. I totally missed that the Bills signed Trubisky yesterday to be Josh Allen’s backup.

But yeah, I’m still befuddled at what the fuck the Bears are doing at the QB position.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

GruesomeTwosome wrote: March 19th, 2021, 3:11 pm Huh. I totally missed that the Bills signed Trubisky yesterday to be Josh Allen’s backup.

But yeah, I’m still befuddled at what the fuck the Bears are doing at the QB position.
The Two-bitsky era in Chicago is over. Sad times for Packers fans.

What is Chicago doing? It looks like they're going to let Foles and Dalton compete for the starting job. I would give Dalton the edge at the moment. And signing Dalton is a sign that they're not taking a first-round QB this year. I'm guessing they think that nobody elite will be left when they pick at the #20 spot (which is probably correct). I wouldn't be surprised to see them take a QB in the lower rounds.
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

blocho wrote: March 19th, 2021, 4:11 pm
GruesomeTwosome wrote: March 19th, 2021, 3:11 pm Huh. I totally missed that the Bills signed Trubisky yesterday to be Josh Allen’s backup.

The Two-bitsky era in Chicago is over. Sad times for Packers fans.

What is Chicago doing? It looks like they're going to let Foles and Dalton compete for the starting job. I would give Dalton the edge at the moment. And signing Dalton is a sign that they're not taking a first-round QB this year. I'm guessing they think that nobody elite will be left when they pick at the #20 spot (which is probably correct). I wouldn't be surprised to see them take a QB in the lower rounds.
Dalton definitely seems to have the edge, as the articles I read all mentioned that he was told by the Bears that the starting job was his. But who can get excited for...Andy Dalton? I sympathize, sebby.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
sebby

Post by sebby »

deshaun watson bout to cosby himself out of the league and potentially into a jail cell. crazy.
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

Myeah, all lawsuits filed by the same lawyer....

[EDIT: Crazy conspiracy time. Is it possible that it's orchestrated from Watson's side, to "force" the Texans to cut him? Timing is conspicuous.]
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway »

Knaldskalle wrote: March 20th, 2021, 3:56 pm
[EDIT: Crazy conspiracy time. Is it possible that it's orchestrated from Watson's side, to "force" the Texans to cut him? Timing is conspicuous.]
That would be a stupid strategy if it was. If the Texans cut him, and all this is hanging over his head, there's really no way he signs with anyone.
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

Nathan Treadway wrote: March 20th, 2021, 5:22 pm
Knaldskalle wrote: March 20th, 2021, 3:56 pm
That would be a stupid strategy if it was. If the Texans cut him, and all this is hanging over his head, there's really no way he signs with anyone.
"Settled out of court" or suits dropped the moment he's cut.

I strongly doubt it's the case, but crazier things have happened.
ImageImageImageImage

sebby

Post by sebby »

Knaldskalle wrote: March 20th, 2021, 3:56 pm Myeah, all lawsuits filed by the same lawyer....

I mean what's the more likely scenario:

A ) Watson is a predatory creep with a specific MO that has been reflected in the complaints lodged by up to 2 dozen women (who are btw not connected to one another except by having a common predator)

B ) Either Watson or the lawyer are jeopardizing their names and careers in a high risk/low reward conspiracy that doesn't really pass the smell test.

If Watson is orchestrating this and gets cut because the Texans don't want to keep a rapist on their roster, no team will sign him because he's a sexual predator and the optics are horrible. On top of that the league will likely have to suspend him for a very long time. If it comes out that this was a gotcha! that he pulled to be released or traded by the Texans....the league will have to suspend him for a very long time. Either offense would also lead to discussion about permanently banning him from the league. He may not be a bright dude, but he can't be that stupid.

Same with the lawyer perhaps colluding with Texans ownership (a nutty theory making its rounds on twitter). If that's true you have a rich lawyer willing to throw away everything (including potentially some years of his freedom if caught) in a wackadoo revenge scheme, and an owner willing to do the same and also put the life of his NFL franchise at risk.

If it were one woman with a story that didn't add up you could entertain the idea that he might not be guilty. But this many, telling very similar stories? Nah, DeShaun Huxtable is guilty as fuck.

Edit: I'm also struggling to think of ANY celeb that's had this number of accusers and not been guilty. Not a single one. Spacey, Weinstein, Cosby, etc. This much smoke always indicates fire.
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

Buzzkill, what with your rationality and logic. :folded:
ImageImageImageImage

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Massive trades in the NFL. The 49ers trading for the third pick overall (and paying a king's ransom for it -- too much, in my opinion) means that they're angling for a QB. But it's weird that they did it at this point without knowing who would be available. Much more common to see that sort of trade during the draft. By trading for the pick ahead of time, it seems that San Fran is setting itself up to have last choice of the Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Justin Fields trifecta.
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

That would be funny if the Niners did that in the hopes of getting Zach Wilson (everyone seems to be going gaga over him lately), only to see the Jets take him at #2. But maybe they really like Justin Fields and want to make sure they’re in place to get him...if the reason they moved up is for a QB, then I think Fields is who they’re ending up with.

And then the Eagles got in on this trade action, moving down from pick 6 to 12, picking up a 2022 1st-round pick. Hmm, not sure what to make of this, I hope Howie Roseman knows what he’s doing.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

I'm a firm believer that trading down is almost always a good idea. I think it's especially true this year because this is a low-information, high-variance draft because the college football season was so abbreviated. The result should be more busts in the first round and more gems in later rounds. I'd be super nervous about drafting someone like Trey Lance who has played in one game in the past 16 months.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Darnold traded to Carolina for three picks: 2nd round, 4th round, and 6th round. I'm a bit split on this deal. As a believer in the Adam Gase theory (everyone who played for Adam Gase is much better than they appear to be and will bloom once they're freed), I suspect Darnold will become good. On the other hand, it's a high price and a further sign that the QB market has gone a bit nuts. I think a player like Darnold would maybe garner a third rounder in years past.

Carolina now has Darnold and Bridgewater on the roster, and I would think they'd let them just compete for the job. Either way, Carolina will have to make a decision this summer on picking up Darnold's fifth-year option. He's due $5 million this coming year but about $20 million the year after if they pick up the option.
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

blocho wrote: April 5th, 2021, 9:29 pm Darnold traded to Carolina for three picks: 2nd round, 4th round, and 6th round. I'm a bit split on this deal. As a believer in the Adam Gase theory (everyone who played for Adam Gase is much better than they appear to be and will bloom once they're freed), I suspect Darnold will become good. On the other hand, it's a high price and a further sign that the QB market has gone a bit nuts. I think a player like Darnold would maybe garner a third rounder in years past.

Carolina now has Darnold and Bridgewater on the roster, and I would think they'd let them just compete for the job. Either way, Carolina will have to make a decision this summer on picking up Darnold's fifth-year option. He's due $5 million this coming year but about $20 million the year after if they pick up the option.
Hmm, didn’t see that coming. I think a lot of people thought the Panthers would be one of the teams eyeing a QB with their 1st-round pick, so assuming that’s off the table now, that makes the draft that much more intriguing. And yeah, it’s really hard to gauge what the hell Sam Darnold even IS at this point.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Day 1 of the draft tonight. I really only care about what the Eagles do (don’t fuck this up, Howie Roseman!), but I guess I’m also mildly interested in seeing where the QBs Justin Fields, Trey Lance and Mac Jones end up (since Lawrence will be taken #1 and it seems that Zach Wilson is expected to be taken at #2).

Hey blocho, what’s going on in Packerland? Apparently Aaron Rodgers is even more disgruntled in Green Bay than I thought, after seeing this report.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
sebby

Post by sebby »

The Bears drafted a stud QB and Aaron Rodgers is likely headed out of GB.

Is this what pure joy feels like?
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

GruesomeTwosome wrote: April 29th, 2021, 7:58 pm Hey blocho, what’s going on in Packerland? Apparently Aaron Rodgers is even more disgruntled in Green Bay than I thought, after seeing this report.
The Packers seem fated to fall backwards into multiple generation-defining legendary quarterbacks and equally fated to have soul-crushing break-ups with those quarterbacks.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

sebby wrote: April 30th, 2021, 5:55 am The Bears drafted a stud QB and Aaron Rodgers is likely headed out of GB.

Is this what pure joy feels like?
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

I like the Devonta Smith pick for the Eagles, but...I just hope he doesn’t snap in half during a big hit at some point. Seeing him in his suit when his name got called to go up to the podium...damn, that dude is even scrawnier than I thought.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd