Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Waiting for results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th), Favourite Movies (Mar 28th)
Challenges: UK/Ireland, Directed by Women, Waves from around the World
Film of the Week: Lean on Pete, April nominations (Apr 1st)

American Football lounge

tirefeet

Post by tirefeet »

Could Rodgers have hinted retirement with his remarks after the championship match? He may have had his best individual season too, does he see himself playing for another franchise, would SF make a move for him?

Remembering Rivers' press conference after the wild-card match-up, he was talking about how they weren't outmatched in the game and the camaraderie is strong in the locker room, my impression was he could be gearing up for another go given he also had a pretty good season. Rodgers post match conference wasn't that hopeful, he looked more dejected but I am not aware of Rodgers' psyche so I don't want to read too much into it. blocho would know more so I leave it to him :)
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

tirefeet wrote: January 26th, 2021, 7:03 pm blocho would know more so I leave it to him :)
So much pressure ...

Rodgers' remarks were certainly influenced by the Packers drafting a quarterback last year, but they were also influenced by coming immediately after a very upsetting game. I bet if he heard the same question next week, he would have a less glum response. There are only three scenarios in which Rodgers does not play for the Packers next year:
- He gets traded. This is not going to happen. Teams don't just trade away the league MVP after a 13-3 year.
- He tries to force a trade. I also don't think this is going to happen. There's no team that would trade for Rodgers that has a better chance of winning a championship next year than the Packers have.
- He retires. Probably the most realistic, but I also don't think it's going to happen. Rodgers has said for years that he will play at least until he is 40.

So this is all much ado about nothing. For the Packers offseason, I'm more interested to see what they do with:
- Free agency. Corey Linsley and Aaron Jones are both free agents. I love them Jones, but paying big money to a running back is almost always a mistake. I dearly hope the Packers bring back Linsley.
- The draft. No more highly picked QBs and RBs please.
- The coaching staff. The Packers must get a new special teams coach this offseason. The bigger question, though is defensive coordinator Mike Pettine. Despite all the criticism of the end-of-half touchdown by Brady, I don't think the Packers will get rid of him.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

By the way, I'm grasping at straws here for things to feel good about from Sunday's game, but can we take a moment to appreciate what tight end Marcedes Lewis (89) does to defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul on this play:

Last edited by blocho on January 29th, 2021, 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome »

I sure hope that Rodgers cheers up a bit in time for his upcoming guest hosting gig on Jeopardy!. :D
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Well, we can nip this all in the bud. Rodgers just showed up on the Pat McAfee show and said there's no reason he wouldn't return. People make too much of the things players say after devastating losses. Remember when Andrew Whitworth started talking about the inevitability of death after losing the Super Bowl?
tirefeet

Post by tirefeet »

Glad he'll be back, guy's a treat to watch :thumbsup:

Detroit's new HC looks and talks like the Dude, albeit in a more defiant and not abiding way.

In this analogy, would Goodell be the Big Lebowski?
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

tirefeet wrote: January 26th, 2021, 10:12 pm Glad he'll be back, guy's a treat to watch :thumbsup:

Detroit's new HC looks and talks like the Dude, albeit in a more defiant and not abiding way.

In this analogy, would Goodell be the Big Lebowski?
I dunno, judging by Campbell’s introductory press conference, I get more Walter Sobchak vibes from him than the Dude.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
tirefeet

Post by tirefeet »

I think the new offensive coordinator Anthony Lynn would be able to fill the big shoes of Sobchak given his proficiency to come up with unwarranted wartime references. He blurted this gem recently:

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

blocho wrote: January 26th, 2021, 7:22 pm - The coaching staff. The Packers must get a new special teams coach this offseason.
Done! The Packers are already better.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Crazy things happening in Houston. They hired the Ravens WR coach as head coach. And then this:

Watson has gone full Carson Palmer. When was the last time a QB of this caliber was available for trade? The offseason is going to see extreme QB movement with both Stafford and Watson available (plus my favorite non-Packers QB, Ryan Fitzpatrick). When you factor in at least four first round draft picks and the retirement of Rivers (and maybe Brees), there's going to enormous turnover among starting QBs next year.
sebby

Post by sebby »

Watson to Miami seems too obvious not to happen. Best offer they'll get and Watson will surely approve a trade to the Fins. As a Bears fan I am very upset that we won twice as many games as we should have. No chance to even put in a competitive offer for Watson.
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

sebby wrote: January 29th, 2021, 4:39 am Watson to Miami seems too obvious not to happen. Best offer they'll get and Watson will surely approve a trade to the Fins. As a Bears fan I am very upset that we won twice as many games as we should have. No chance to even put in a competitive offer for Watson.
I suspect the Niners will try to land Watson.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Incidentally, the new Texans head coach will be the oldest first-time head coach in NFL history. Which is kind of surprising because I think the average age of head coaches has gone down a lot in recent years.
sebby

Post by sebby »

Knaldskalle wrote: January 29th, 2021, 5:25 am
sebby wrote: January 29th, 2021, 4:39 am Watson to Miami seems too obvious not to happen. Best offer they'll get and Watson will surely approve a trade to the Fins. As a Bears fan I am very upset that we won twice as many games as we should have. No chance to even put in a competitive offer for Watson.
I can't imagine Houston trading with someone that can't give them immediate help at QB. Niners may not even have a high enough pick to grab the 4th best QB in the draft. They'd have to part with 3 firsts and Fred Warner to start the conversation. And even then Miami can say hold on there we can give you Tua, #3, #18 + more. It's as close a done deal (unless Watson says no to MIA) as Stafford going to Indy. Too obvious to not happen.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

sebby wrote: January 29th, 2021, 5:46 am
Knaldskalle wrote: January 29th, 2021, 5:25 am
I can't imagine Houston trading with someone that can't give them immediate help at QB. Niners may not even have a high enough pick to grab the 4th best QB in the draft. They'd have to part with 3 firsts and Fred Warner to start the conversation. And even then Miami can say hold on there we can give you Tua, #3, #18 + more. It's as close a done deal (unless Watson says no to MIA) as Stafford going to Indy. Too obvious to not happen.
You may be right. But nothing that's happened with the Texans has made any sense for more than a year. At this point, I wouldn't be shocked if they trade Watson for some chicken twists.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

And now Pettine is gone.

I'm a bit surprised by this move. I've felt several times over the years that Pettine was not getting the most out of the defense's talents. But I wasn't sure. It's such a counterfactual -- could another coach do better with this same team? It's often unclear. And I have to admit that Pettine was an improvement over Dom Capers, and this year's defense was the best in almost a decade. Also, I wonder if the Packers just made this decision because of that one half-ending play last weekend. I don't think it's a good idea to fire a coach because of one play.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Holy shit.

This deal is insane, right? Rams are getting fleeced! :whistling:

I agree that Stafford is the better QB at this point, especially when you factor in that Goff had better talent around him for the past few years. But it still seems like a very uneven trade.

With this trade, the Rams will not have a first round pick from 2017 to 2023. The last time they had a first-rounder was when they drafted ... Goff. The Rams were already a joke for undervaluing draft picks and trading away their future, and then they went out and traded away two more first rounders.

It's also hard to overstate what an unusual trade this is. It's very rare to see trades for two first-rounders. The NFL woke up to the fact that it's a bad idea after the Keyshawn Johnson and Joey Galloway trades, and then I don't remember it happening again until the Laremy Tunsil trade last year and the Khalil Mack trade two years ago. It's also very rare to see starting QBs traded for each other. The closest I can remember is the Cutler-Orton trade, though it barely counts because Orton was a marginal starter.
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Damn. We all knew Stafford was gonna be moved but I did not expect THIS trade to happen. Wild. Giving up a haul like that, it’s like the Rams couldn’t wait to get rid of Goff (which I get...but, shit, giving up two first-round picks too).

If that’s what you can get for a 32-year-old Stafford with a lot of mileage, what will it take to get DeShaun Watson?

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Here's the NFL honors list. No real surprises. Rodgers won his third MVP and Donald his third DPOY.

Here's the Hall of Fame list:
Calvin Johnson
John Lynch
Alan Faneca
Tom Flores
Peyton Manning
Bill Nunn
Drew Pearson
Charles Woodson

Megatron and Manning are clear Hall of Famers (less sure about Pearson), but their induction adds to the over-representation of "skill position" players. Counting only modern-era candidates (since about 1950, when two-way players faded), there are 26 QBs in the hall and only 48 offensive linemen. That ratio is out of whack given that every offense plays with five linemen and only one QB on the field at a time. Using the same modern-era criteria, there are 147 offensive players and only 105 defensive players.

As a Packers fan, I'm psyched that Woodson is in the hall. Bill Nunn is an interesting case. I'd never heard of him before. He was a scout for the Steelers for 45 years (the HoF only started inducting front office people a few years ago), and his son, also named Bill Nunn, became an actor best known for playing Radio Raheem in Do the Right Thing.
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

So, the big day is here...Super Bowl predictions? I still Iike the Chiefs to win, and I believe they’d be the first back-to-back Super Bowl champs since the Patriots did it ‘03 and ‘04.

Also, on the player movement front, a lot of talk that Carson Wentz will indeed be dealt, as soon as later this week. A bunch of talk yesterday specifically about trading him to the Bears, for a future first-round pick, Tarik Cohen, and, yes...Nick Foles, ladies and gentlemen. Hmm, we’ll see if that’s bullshit or not.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Chiefs seem like the obvious favorite. They just handled the Bills so easily. The one way I can see Tampa getting this win is if their pass rush gets to Mahomes repeatedly, maybe force some turnovers. The Chiefs offensive line is a vulnerability, though it hasn't seemed to matter yet.
tirefeet

Post by tirefeet »

You know the shit is wack when soldiers stationed in Kuwait show up on screen. Back to the game, I'm up for some Mahomes magic.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

The Bucs have been throwing the kitchen sink at Mahomes. Exotic blitzes. Switching coverage schemes on every play. And even if they don't have a sack, the pressure has repeatedly messed up the Chiefs' timing. Check this out:

All that being said, the Chiefs might have made a mistake with the goal line stand. Being down double digits unlocks the Chiefs' football-GOD power-up.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

They lined up offsides! The Chiefs lined up offsides and it led to a touchdown. The easiest part of the game -- stay behind this line until the play starts -- and they messed it up.

Please remember that the Chiefs lost the AFC championships game to the Patriots two years ago because they lined up offsides on a play where Brady got picked.
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Oof. Chiefs really killing themselves with all these costly penalties at the worst times.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

That first half could have gone worse for the Chiefs, but not by much. It's been a pretty simple story so far -- the Bucs are playing a no-big-plays defense and getting consistent pressure on Mahomes. And the Chiefs are getting hammered by penalties.
sebby

Post by sebby »

What's your favorite part of the game do far -- the boring noncompetitive game, the military propaganda, or exploitation of the pandemic to sell products no one needs?
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Brady is going to end up winning MVP, but it should go to Shaq Barrett. The Chiefs offensive line has utterly collapsed.
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

blocho wrote: February 8th, 2021, 2:32 am Brady is going to end up winning MVP, but it should go to Shaq Barrett. The Chiefs offensive line has utterly collapsed.
Yeah. It seems like almost every play now that Barrett is chasing Mahomes and forcing him to run backwards before making a desperate heave.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Marty Schottenheimer has died at age 77

I honestly figured he would have been much older than 77 by now, as he hadn’t coached in many years and the last time he WAS coaching he looked like an older, 70-ish year old guy. But sadly he had Alzheimer’s in his last years, which I was not aware of. Anyways, he has a ton of wins over his coaching career and often did well in the regular season, but never could do much with his teams in the playoffs.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Sad to hear.

Schottenheimer had a .613 winning percentage in the regular season, which puts him in the top 25 among all NFL coaches. But he also had a 5-13 playoff record, which is the worst playoff record next to Marvin Lewis' (0-7) and Steve Owen's (2-8). It always felt like he got a lot out of teams that didn't have a ton of talent. That's certainly how I remember his Kansas City teams, which always went 11-5 or something even though you couldn't quite figure out how. I especially remember his lone season in Washington, when he started 0-5 but went 8-3 down the stretch and almost made the playoffs. It's unfortunate he never broke through in the postseason.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Some nice football/movie overlap here:

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

The meltdown in Houston continues.

I'm not sure how much more Watt has to give, but he's still an effective player for now.
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Carson Wentz traded to the Colts, per ESPN’s Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen.

Well, I guess I’m glad that this finally happened, I was getting sick of hearing about this “Will Wentz go to the Colts or Bears?” stuff the last couple weeks. Eagles get a third-round pick this year and a conditional second-round pick next year that could turn into a first-round pick if Wentz plays 75 percent of the Colts’ offensive snaps, or 70 percent of the snaps and the Colts makes the playoffs. And to think Howie Roseman apparently started his asking price for Wentz at two first-round picks...
Last edited by GruesomeTwosome on February 18th, 2021, 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
sebby

Post by sebby »

Still too much for a bottom 10 QB IMO. Glad the Bears didn't get him.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Seems like a good deal for the Eagles. They got more for Wentz than he was worth. Still, I wouldn't rule out a return to form for him. We've seen QBs like Tannehill and Brees take big steps forward 5-6 years into their career. Not likely but also not impossible.

Meanwhile, the Eagles will get the biggest dead cap hit in NFL history. $33 million, more than a sixth of their cap space, will go to Wentz next season.
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Yeah that cap hit was always gonna be brutal. 2021 will probably be another rough, losing season for the Eagles. If Jalen Hurts doesn’t look like a long-term answer after a full season at QB, it’s likely that the Eagles will have two first-round picks next year, so maybe THEN they can draft another QB if needed. Time to rebuild, so many older players on this team that are past their prime.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd