Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 4 released May 26th)
Polls: 1950s (Results), 1966 awards (May 28th), 1935 (May 29th)
Challenges: Comedy, Western, Iberian Peninsula
Film of the Week: Unter den Brücken, June nominations (May 29th)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2A: Poland vs Mexico (Jun 4th), Match 2B: Tajikistan vs Italy (Jun 14th)

American Football lounge

Knaldskalle

Re: American Football lounge

Post by Knaldskalle » March 18th, 2020, 10:03 pm

blocho wrote:
March 18th, 2020, 9:56 pm
As for the Bear, well Foles has got to be an upgrade over Trubisky. I'm guessing they'll be thrown into a straight-up competition for the starting job.
Really? You think da Bears just paid $50 mill. for a backup? Sure, it'll be a competition - and at the end Foles gets the job.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » March 18th, 2020, 10:13 pm

Knaldskalle wrote:
March 18th, 2020, 10:03 pm
blocho wrote:
March 18th, 2020, 9:56 pm
As for the Bear, well Foles has got to be an upgrade over Trubisky. I'm guessing they'll be thrown into a straight-up competition for the starting job.
Really? You think da Bears just paid $50 mill. for a backup? Sure, it'll be a competition - and at the end Foles gets the job.
Well, as a Packers fan, I've been holding out hope for Trubisky for years. My dream is that he becomes just competent enough that the Bears will commit to him long-term. I want another Cutler.

sebby

Post by sebby » March 18th, 2020, 10:14 pm

Bears specialize in shitty young QBs and past-their-prime veteran QBs. Nothing new to see here.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » March 19th, 2020, 3:14 pm

sebby wrote:
March 18th, 2020, 10:14 pm
Bears specialize in shitty young QBs and past-their-prime veteran QBs. Nothing new to see here.
Sounds just like my Vikings, too.
ImageImageImageImage

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » March 19th, 2020, 5:14 pm

Happy that the Eagles acquired Darius Slay. Some much-needed cornerback help and he gets interceptions at a pretty good rate, a play-making aspect on defense that the Eagles have sorely lacked in the secondary the last two years. Not sure if they can do anything significant now in free agency to address their other major need, wide receiver...probably just wait until the draft which is rich in WRs this year.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » March 19th, 2020, 5:29 pm

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
March 19th, 2020, 5:14 pm
Happy that the Eagles acquired Darius Slay. Some much-needed cornerback help and he gets interceptions at a pretty good rate, a play-making aspect on defense that the Eagles have sorely lacked in the secondary the last two years. Not sure if they can do anything significant now in free agency to address their other major need, wide receiver...probably just wait until the draft which is rich in WRs this year.
Eagles secondary was a huge problem last year. They got some big help without giving away too much. I think this was a very smart deal for them.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » March 19th, 2020, 8:01 pm

Todd Gurley released by the Rams. Can’t believe he’s still only 25, seems like he’s been in the league for a much longer time than he has.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » March 19th, 2020, 8:15 pm

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
March 19th, 2020, 8:01 pm
Todd Gurley released by the Rams. Can’t believe he’s still only 25, seems like he’s been in the league for a much longer time than he has.
Never sign a running back to a long-term deal.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » March 19th, 2020, 8:21 pm

blocho wrote:
March 19th, 2020, 8:15 pm
GruesomeTwosome wrote:
March 19th, 2020, 8:01 pm
Never sign a running back to a long-term deal.
Indeed. I wonder if he's sort of "cooked" already or if he can revitalize his career elsewhere.

Melvin Gordon is also available, isn't he?

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » March 20th, 2020, 5:59 pm

Todd Gurley to the Falcons, and Melvin Gordon to the Broncos...

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » April 13th, 2020, 12:37 am

Sweet!

Football and movies comes together. I just heard that the Packers have produced a 10-party documentary series on the history of the franchise. Two episodes are out, and new ones will be released every week. They can be found here.

I've seen most of one episode, and well, it's not 30-for-30 or anything like that. It has the rhythm and the quality of well-funded and well-researched local history project. That being said, for NFL history nuts, it's a lot of fun.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » April 21st, 2020, 10:30 pm

GROOOOOOOOOOONNNNNK!!!!!

As a human being, I never like to see a rich man return to the game to further destroy his body. As a football fan, I like the NFL more with Gronk in it.

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » April 21st, 2020, 11:26 pm

Boise State has furloughed its coaches. I expect more schools will have to follow suit.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » April 22nd, 2020, 12:41 pm

blocho wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 10:30 pm
GROOOOOOOOOOONNNNNK!!!!!

As a human being, I never like to see a rich man return to the game to further destroy his body. As a football fan, I like the NFL more with Gronk in it.
That feels like something I really should have seen coming, but I didn't. I guess if there's one (former) Patriot I like, it would be Gronk.

Anyways, I'm pretty pumped for the draft tomorrow! Need something in sports that's actually significant, to grab onto during these sparse times. I hope the Eagles get a wide receiver that pans out well.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » April 22nd, 2020, 3:11 pm

A few years ago I tried to get into the whole draft thing, but my team kept drafting players I knew nothing about. After that I decided to just check out other people's reaction to the draft instead. A lot less work on my part and makes about the same difference to the real world (ie. none).
ImageImageImageImage

sebby

Post by sebby » April 23rd, 2020, 4:41 am

The NFL draft is the biggest bit of nonsense. It's a pure crapshoot. No one actually knows who's going to be good and who isn't. More than half of first round quarterbacks end up barely being rosterable. It's a hilarious bit of pageantry where everyone involved pretends it's anything but a blind man and a dartboard.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » April 23rd, 2020, 1:49 pm

sebby wrote:
April 23rd, 2020, 4:41 am
The NFL draft is the biggest bit of nonsense. It's a pure crapshoot. No one actually knows who's going to be good and who isn't. More than half of first round quarterbacks end up barely being rosterable. It's a hilarious bit of pageantry where everyone involved pretends it's anything but a blind man and a dartboard.
I'm choosing to read this as mostly coming from a place of "I'm still bummed about Mitchell Trubisky." ;)

But yeah, I mean you're right of course and I don't really care about what other teams besides my favorite team (Eagles) do on draft day, but while yes it's a fuckin' crapshoot to say the least, I find it fun to pay attention to the key positions and players that the Eagles are most likely to be interested in. And sure, with the sports world at a standstill I'm kinda starved for anything at this point.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » April 23rd, 2020, 11:53 pm

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
April 23rd, 2020, 1:49 pm
sebby wrote:
I'm choosing to read this as mostly coming from a place of "I'm still bummed about Mitchell Trubisky." ;)
ZIIIINNNNNG!

But yeah, I agree. Wwhen I was young and just getting into football, I watched a couple of years. And then I realized it was all hot air and stopped. The draft is enormously important, but no one actually knows anything, and there's nothing more useless than mock drafts or draft grades. I'm just as useless as anyone else in this regard.
Here are some players I correctly thought would definitely be great: Logan Mankins, Aaron Donald
Here are some players I wrongly thought would definitely be great: Roy Williams (WR), Marqise Lee, Joey Harrington, Matt Leinart
It's a crapshoot.

Incidentally, it's hilarious how GMs are getting overzealous about setting up their draft room at home. Elway has seven monitors just for himself, and needed tablecloths for each table. Meanwhile, Seahawks GM John Schneider (not pictured) claimed he tore down two walls in his house to put in extra monitors. Yeah, the whole thing is performative.

Also, I'm looking forward to how the Bengals destroy Joe Burrow's career.

sebby

Post by sebby » April 24th, 2020, 1:52 am

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
April 23rd, 2020, 1:49 pm
sebby wrote:

But yeah, I mean you're right of course and I don't really care about what other teams besides my favorite team (Eagles) do on draft day, but while yes it's a fuckin' crapshoot to say the least, I find it fun to pay attention to the key positions and players that the Eagles are most likely to be interested in. And sure, with the sports world at a standstill I'm kinda starved for anything at this point.
The thing that bums me out about Trubisky is that they traded up for him. That's basically it. He had as much chance of being a generational talent as Mahomes or anyone else. But trading up to draft a QB in a draft that was QB rich at the top was just bonkers.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » April 24th, 2020, 3:40 am

What the fuck did the Packers just do?

What the fuck? What the fuck? What the fuck?

I haven't been this surprised by a Packers pick since ... 2005.

I know Rodgers has spent the last 15 minutes sighing heavily and rolling his eyes in the direction of a nonexistent TV camera.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » April 24th, 2020, 3:45 am

Haha, I was just going to post about the Packers pick. Very, very similar move here as they did in ‘05. You can only hope it works out nearly as well this time. I know nothing about this Jordan Love kid.

Anyways, I’m convinced that crazy old bastard Jerry Jones and the Cowboys drafted CeeDee Lamb just to spite the Eagles, who surely would have snagged him if he kept falling a few more spots. Instead the Birds drafted a smaller, speedy WR who has had issues with drops...and that is already giving me Nelson Agholor nightmares. I gotta relax and tell myself this is a crapshoot and Reagor could turn out great...

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » April 24th, 2020, 3:54 am

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
April 24th, 2020, 3:45 am
Haha, I was just going to post about the Packers pick. Very, very similar move here as they did in ‘05. You can only hope it works out nearly as well this time. I know nothing about this Jordan Love kid.
I've spent the past ten minutes debating with my brother what the Packers are doing here. The first thing he brought up was 2005, and I see why. But one key difference is that Favre had flirted with retirement every offseason for a few years. Rodgers has publicly said multiple times he wants to play at least until he's 40 (he's 36 now).

Another difference is that Rodgers was widely regarded as the best or second best QB in the draft in 2005 and shockingly fell to the back half of the first round. Today, the Pack traded up to pick a guy who threw 17 picks last year in the Mountain West.

The only way this makes sense to me is either if Rodgers told the Packers privately that he plans to retire soon or if the Packers, as with the Rodgers pick in 2005 and the Favre trade in 1992, are far smarter than the rest of the NFL.

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » April 24th, 2020, 4:13 am

At least the Bengals didn't reach for a player. :) Hopefully he has a few NFL seasons like he had last year at LSU. (and hopefully they are with Cincy.)

sebby

Post by sebby » April 24th, 2020, 5:42 am

blocho wrote:
April 24th, 2020, 3:54 am
GruesomeTwosome wrote:
April 24th, 2020, 3:45 am
I've spent the past ten minutes debating with my brother what the Packers are doing here. The first thing he brought up was 2005, and I see why. But one key difference is that Favre had flirted with retirement every offseason for a few years. Rodgers has publicly said multiple times he wants to play at least until he's 40 (he's 36 now).

Another difference is that Rodgers was widely regarded as the best or second best QB in the draft in 2005 and shockingly fell to the back half of the first round. Today, the Pack traded up to pick a guy who threw 17 picks last year in the Mountain West.

The only way this makes sense to me is either if Rodgers told the Packers privately that he plans to retire soon or if the Packers, as with the Rodgers pick in 2005 and the Favre trade in 1992, are far smarter than the rest of the NFL.
The guy they picked seems like he won't be NFL-ready for at least 2 or 3 years. As a Bears fan I love the pick for the pack :party:

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » April 24th, 2020, 10:17 pm

The Jags drafted another Gator. Hope it'll work out as well as Fred Taylor.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » April 25th, 2020, 12:53 am

Wow...as is often the case with Howie Roseman drafts, I am befuddled. Just selected a QB (Jalen Hurts) in the second round. You just paid Wentz $130 million or whatever last season, he’s the guy...I get that he’s had some injury concerns, and a good backup has always been a priority for the Eagles (eg. Foles of course), but using your 2nd-round pick on a QB when Wentz likely hasn’t even reached his prime yet? Maybe Doug Pedersen is thinking of using Hurts like the Saints do with Taysom Hill. Anyways, I’m just quite shocked at the pick.

Hopefully I got worked up for nothing, and Roseman just picked Hurts to flip him in a trade for a QB-needy team that truly wants him.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » April 25th, 2020, 1:11 am

Since we're probably going to end up losing Fournette, I was really in hopes that the Jags would pick up Cam Akers in the second round. I've seen enough of his college games to know that he's a beast and would have been an easy first rounder if Florida State hadn't been garbage the whole time he was there. He had Heisman caliber talent. The Rams got a steal with that pick.

sebby

Post by sebby » April 25th, 2020, 2:37 am

I was hoping the Bears would have a Jalen/Jaylon second round. We need young QB to stash a heckuva lot more than most teams, including the iggles. No Hurts, but nice to get Jaylon Johnson.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » April 25th, 2020, 4:56 am

I could go on and on about what the Packers have done in the draft.

I could talk about a draft in which 13 receivers went in the first two rounds, and about a team that desperately needs receivers that looked at those 13 players and shrugged.

I could talk about a team that has a solid history of getting decent running back in the late rounds (James Starks, Dorsey Levens, Edgar Bennett) or trading peanuts for them (Ahman Green, Ryan Grant) and a bad history of getting running backs in the early rounds (Brandon Jackson, Eddie Lacy, Alex Green) that decided to take a running back in the second round.

I could talk about a team that seems determined to ruin its relationship with its star player, a player known for petulance.

I could talk about the foolishness of taking any running back in the first two rounds, especially one who never catches the ball. Or taking a quarterback who threw 17 picks last season against shit competition and won't contribute for at least three years. Or about how even if that quarterback then becomes good, he'll be nearing the end of his rookie deal, meaning an expensive contract will be necessary and the salary advantage of cheap young players will be lost.

But what it comes down to is this -- the Packers' choices will be good choices only if they're smarter than everyone else in the NFL. If that's the case, then this works out. And I think it's really important to try to be smarter than any other team in the league. But I think it's very dangerous when you're convinced that you are.

The only solace right now is that the Packers have a history of messing up the early rounds and finding gold in the later ones.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » April 25th, 2020, 5:36 am

blocho wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 4:56 am
And I think it's really important to try to be smarter than any other team in the league. But I think it's very dangerous when you're convinced that you are.
Perfectly describes my feelings about Howie Roseman right now.

After the 2018 season, the Eagles wisely prevented any further unnecessary QB controversy between Carson Wentz and Nick Foles by letting Foles go sign with the Jaguars, and locked up Wentz as the no-doubt QB of the present and future with a huge deal. And then now...they go and draft Jalen Hurts in round 2, and right afterward Roseman says he wants the Eagles to be, and I quote, a “QB factory.” M’kay.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd