Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

American Football lounge

blocho
Donator

American Football lounge

Post by blocho » September 10th, 2019, 4:09 am

I am hereby splitting off American football (also known as gridiron football) from the sports lounge. This is a lounge for discussion of all matters pertaining to American football, including the NFL, CFL, other professional leagues, college football, high school football, etc.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » September 10th, 2019, 4:11 am

In case anyone missed it, the Monday night game between the Saints and the Texans was bonkers. I've watched a lot of football in my life, and that probably fits into my list of top 10 wildest finishes.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » September 10th, 2019, 4:34 am

Good idea - we needed to carve out a handegg section of this forum.

But after the Thursday game, I just didn't have the oomph to watch more games this week. I did hear that was a crazy game, though.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » September 10th, 2019, 5:22 am

I was happy to see my Eagles start the season off with a win. It was a little scary when the Redskins started out with a 17-0 lead, but the Birds finally got their act together and looked great (on offense, primarily) once they mounted their comeback. Really encouraging to see Carson Wentz have a very good game. Just stay healthy! Meanwhile, sad to see Nick Foles get injured right away for the Jags.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

tirefeet

Post by tirefeet » September 11th, 2019, 8:21 pm

I cheer for the Chargers since I have a knack for supporting roguish outfits that have an underdog feel to them. And I absolutely adore 'philty' Philip Rivers.

Too bad the team continues to suffer from injury bug besides their primary RB holding out. Now revealed is that the star TE Hunter Henry suffered an injury on the winning play against Colts last Sunday and is out for 4 to 6 weeks. There might be a silver lining to this though if the legendary Antonio Gates decides to come back.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » September 11th, 2019, 8:59 pm

That's a tough break with Henry. I think I remember him missing most or all of last season. Has it been tough remaining a Chargers fan as they abandoned their fan base?

tirefeet

Post by tirefeet » September 11th, 2019, 9:27 pm

I was following Nfl since around 2012 but I wasn't sticking with one team. I was generally catching up during playoff time and started to watch from around wild card phase though I stopped paying attention to postseason and the league in general around 2015. That was until last November when I decided to open a game online and watched Rivers breaking the record for most consecutive completions to start a game. I remembered him from years ago as the guy that has lots of kids (he now has enough nuclear family to line a football team :woot: ). After that I kept watching Chargers and those tenacious comeback wins against Steelers and Chiefs made me a staunch follower of them.

sebby

Post by sebby » September 11th, 2019, 9:45 pm

Bears fan here.

Heavy sigh.

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » September 11th, 2019, 10:03 pm

Bengals (pro) and Buckeyes (college). One team probably isn't going to do anything this year while the other very well might.

While Sunday's score was disappointing, Cincy really outplayed Seattle. A few poor decisions from a rookie coach probably costed them the game. Hopefully he learns from it, and improves, if not, this is going to be a long season...

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » September 16th, 2019, 5:23 pm

I wasn't feeling well yesterday and only saw a little game action (about half of Eagles-Falcons and half of Saints-Rams). I usually catch up by watching the NFL's highlight videos, but I've only gone through two so far. Still, here are a few reactions.

- I was very surprised by the Falcons defense, which was bad last year and atrocious in week 1 (far worse than the score indicated). Maybe there's hope yet in Atlanta, although both quarterbacks last night were unusually bad. Wentz seemed to be playing hurt.

- Very pleased by my Packers winning. Two wins in two games, and both in the division. I couldn't get a good feel for the defense from the highlights. Cousins put up a crap day, which is a credit to the D (Cousins has problems, but he's not that bad), but they also gave up three big plays. The offensive line was legitimately impressive in run blocking. I saw maybe six or seven plays were they pushed the Vikings five years off the ball. It feels like a game where the Packers got a bit lucky. They didn't score in the second half, had far fewer yards than the Vikings, but benefited from three Vikings turnovers, a missed field goal, and that touchdown-negating pass interference.

- Watching the Pats-Dolphins highlights was a bit depressing. I don't have any affection for the Dolphins, but it was just painful to watch them. I certainly hope for better for my favorite 2018 style icon Ryan Fitzpatrick. The Dolphins are on pace to break a large number of records for ineptitude. I was also surprised to see the Patriots playing starters, including Brady, deep into the fourth quarter. Seems a little stupid of them.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » September 16th, 2019, 5:54 pm

That Eagles-Falcons game last night was crazy, namely all of the injuries, mostly on the Eagles side. Their top 2 receivers (DeSean Jackson and Alshon Jeffery) leaving the game was particularly devastating, and really limited the Eagles offense for much of the game. And yeah, as an Eagles fan it was scary to see Wentz once again have to leave the field, but thankfully he came back and eventually did play better. How the game was going, the Eagles really had no business winning, but if Agholor doesn’t drop that easy deep ball late in the 4th, they probably would have won. Ugh...tough one.

As for the Dolphins, I think they’re just tanking this year for the #1 overall pick, to get a franchise QB or something.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » September 16th, 2019, 6:08 pm

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 5:54 pm
As for the Dolphins, I think they’re just tanking this year for the #1 overall pick, to get a franchise QB or something.
Yeah, the Dolphins are clearly "Tanking for Tua." Teams have tanked before for top draft picks, but usually they don't stop until the second half of the season when it's clear they're out of the playoffs (think of the Colts in 2011 and their "Suck for Luck campaign). The Dolphins are more clearly following the path of the Browns, who supposedly tanked during their Sashi Brown era (2015-2017). Although with the Browns, I don't think you can say you're purposefully tanking if you've sucked for the last 20 years. At that point, you're just a bad organization.

There are some big risks with tanking. Although everybody was ready to crown the Browns in the off-season, they still haven't had a winning season since 2007 and week 1 didn't exactly look good. Moreover, there's never been a successful example of a team purposefully tanking in the NFL for an entire season or longer. Of course, just because something hasn't been done before doesn't mean it's not possible. But there are some ancillary costs, including alienating all of your current players, coaches, executives, and fans.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » September 16th, 2019, 6:29 pm

Well, with Big Ben out in Pittsburg, the Dolphins may have some competition...

Russell Wilson FTW.

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » September 16th, 2019, 9:30 pm

I'd rather not talk about yesterday. :(

tirefeet

Post by tirefeet » September 16th, 2019, 10:04 pm

Nathan Treadway wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 9:30 pm
I'd rather not talk about yesterday. :(
:hug:

It sucked my excitement so much that I hardly paid attention to what went around the league, and there were plenty. Losing by three while missing two ~40 yard FG's in a domed stadium, having two TD's called back and fumbling the ball at one yard line is what I would call a crushing defeat. Props to Lions and Stafford and their fans were great.

The injuries keep piling up though :/ Hope GM Telesco addresses the corner and safety issues somehow some way; Jalen Ramsey from Jags would be a very good fit for example :ermm: :shifty:

sebby

Post by sebby » Yesterday, 12:36 am

Bears drafting Trubisky over either Watson or Mahomes is going to ensure they're just good enough to make the playoffs every year and never good enough to win the Super Bowl. Wasting a potential generational defense is sure going to be fun to watch for the next few years.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » Yesterday, 3:47 am

sebby wrote:
Yesterday, 12:36 am
Bears drafting Trubisky over either Watson or Mahomes is going to ensure they're just good enough to make the playoffs every year and never good enough to win the Super Bowl. Wasting a potential generational defense is sure going to be fun to watch for the next few years.
Not to mention the Bears gave up two third-rounders and a fourth-rounder to move up one spot to draft Trubisky. That 2017 draft is gonna be like the 2004 draft in defining three franchises for the next two decades.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » Yesterday, 5:03 am

It seems like the Bears pretty much always have a great defense and an ugly-as-fuck offense (run-heavy, shoddy QB play) no matter the era, lol. They might be the Super Bowl favorite if it was 1967. 😁

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » Yesterday, 5:11 am

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
Yesterday, 5:03 am
It seems like the Bears pretty much always have a great defense and an ugly-as-fuck offense (run-heavy, shoddy QB play) no matter the era, lol. They might be the Super Bowl favorite if it was 1967. 😁
Well, that definitely describes the Grossman Bears of the mid-2000s. But it also kind of describes the Cutler Bears. The beauty of Cutler, for a Packers fan like me, was that he was good enough that the Bears got suckered into handing him a huge contract, but he was bad enough that he could always be counted on to throw killer interceptions. Someone once described him to me as the fourth best quarterback in Packers history (after Starr, Favre, Rodgers), and that seems pretty apt. The Bears haven't had a great QB since Sid Luckman.

sebby

Post by sebby » Yesterday, 7:41 am

blocho wrote:
Yesterday, 5:11 am
GruesomeTwosome wrote:
Yesterday, 5:03 am
Well, that definitely describes the Grossman Bears of the mid-2000s. But it also kind of describes the Cutler Bears. The beauty of Cutler, for a Packers fan like me, was that he was good enough that the Bears got suckered into handing him a huge contract, but he was bad enough that he could always be counted on to throw killer interceptions. Someone once described him to me as the fourth best quarterback in Packers history (after Starr, Favre, Rodgers), and that seems pretty apt. The Bears haven't had a great QB since Sid Luckman.
You could argue they haven't had better than an above-average QB since Luckman. It defies all odds.