Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

TeamViewer Alternative?

blueboybob
Donator

TeamViewer Alternative?

Post by blueboybob » August 2nd, 2019, 7:31 pm

So normally I use teamviewer to watch movies on my home PC from my work PC. It is nice because it is "plug and play" and pushes sound through. However, recently TeamViewer flagged me as "commercial" and so I can no longer use it. Anyone have a good alternative?

TightVNC -- No Sound
NoMachine -- Couldn't get setup working. Required me to create a user (not good on a work computer)
Chrome Remote Desktop -- Sound distorted (https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/2456666?hl=en)

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 2nd, 2019, 7:47 pm

Why don't you put the files somewhere so you can watch them at home? Seems like a hassle to have your files at work and watch at home.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » August 2nd, 2019, 10:58 pm

Otherway. The files are on my home PC. Can't put "foreign" files on work PC.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » August 2nd, 2019, 11:17 pm

Boy, I hope I don't have to do this - I love TeamViewer and everything it does. Here's an article with more suggestions: https://beebom.com/teamviewer-alternatives/

Out of curiosity, how'd you get flagged commercial?

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » August 3rd, 2019, 12:38 am

I was on a company VPN at work. I'm pretty sure htat is what happend. Apparently "all vpn traffic is flagged commercial" I've asked for a review so it may be reversed, but I am doing my homework to find another option

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » August 3rd, 2019, 12:40 am

Ah yeah - that'd do it. Stupid question, but have you tried setting up a new TV account? I know it's a hassle, but maybe that would "reset" you?

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » August 3rd, 2019, 2:23 am

Whoa whoa whoa, you have the time to watch movies at work?
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 3rd, 2019, 7:51 am

blueboybob wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 10:58 pm
Otherway. The files are on my home PC. Can't put "foreign" files on work PC.
I read "on" and "from" as something else. I always have trouble with the exact meaning of these words.
GruesomeTwosome wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 2:23 am
Whoa whoa whoa, you have the time to watch movies at work?
And this was my next thought when you explained it. But I guess you don't want to get into that discussion.

Anyway, can't you use remote desktop connection? Are both PC's Windows? Then it should be possible.
ICM-profile

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » August 3rd, 2019, 8:18 am

What about Mikogo?
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » August 3rd, 2019, 12:10 pm

Mikogo looks to cost money

I get paid not to work but to be available to work. The better I do my job the less i am needed. Some days I watcch no movies at work, other days I can watch 4 or 5.

ill try remote desktop. dont know why i didnt think of that. i use it all the time

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » August 5th, 2019, 3:48 pm

RDP doesnt seem to be working. I opened and forwarde the ports, but work network can't connect to home network it seams.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 5th, 2019, 6:22 pm

blueboybob wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 3:48 pm
RDP doesnt seem to be working. I opened and forwarde the ports, but work network can't connect to home network it seams.
Maybe they don’t want people to watch movies during work. :whistling:
ICM-profile

Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 » August 6th, 2019, 6:43 am

From my own experience :

I used teamviewer a lot for familly administration (enought of the sunday "lost" visiting grandma that has lost her printer... icon)
Also used it to take control from home PC from work. At work, on another site they started to use it unlicensed between PC of my domain. I guess that's what caused an Domain Ban as i couldn't no more take control of both ways Home-Work and Work-Home.
As you i emailed the TV team to explain but using an work PC on a domain is hard to justify i guess. So i got kicked for a quite long time (at least a month for them to review my email i guess) but the last 2 or 3 times i tried i was no more flagged as commercial use.
Now .... using an VPN on a domain PC could be even more difficult to believe isn't commercial... Special touch would be for you to explain you need to have access to hoem pc to watch movies from home hehe.
TV alternatives are no good... i tried remote PC witch is also free but let's be honest it really su***d compared to TV ;(

For RDP, on last jobs, i have always succeedeed in gaining control of my main Work PC from home, but i was managing the work main firewalls to dig specific routes from my Home ip adress throught the FW. Was excellent and relly like being @ work but i kinda never used sound... not sure about the quality.

Next is ... watching from Big phone directly from an Nas Share or even bringing another "small" PC if that's even allowed on a production environement.

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » August 6th, 2019, 1:37 pm

Looks like PLEX isnt blocked at work. So I can us plex in my browser. Its a manageable work around.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » August 7th, 2019, 3:59 am

ssh -X blueboybob@homepc. But I don't know if that does sound as well, which is an obvious requirement.
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 » August 7th, 2019, 7:09 am

bbb has to improve is silents list ratings anyway : what are you waiting for : watch silent movies.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » September 8th, 2019, 6:47 pm

BBB - did you settle on a TV alternative? I just got flagged commercial (damned wife)

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » September 9th, 2019, 12:40 am

I just stream plex for watching videos and use "chrome remote desktop" for general things