Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

Bubble Tea

fori

Bubble Tea

Post by fori » July 31st, 2019, 1:13 am

Do you drink bubble tea?

I just made myself a pot of soy milk bubble tea with roasted green tea, wintermelon syrup & soy milk topped with Taiwan style pearls and herbal jelly. It’s amazing.

Discussion of bubble tea, bubble tea stores, and anything else of relevance (eg dessert stores that use pearls etc).

Greamone

Post by Greamone » July 31st, 2019, 9:23 am

Are you talking about this one?

Never tried to be honest but there is a cafe next to my property in Athens where I can go and try. Any flavour suggestions?

fori

Post by fori » July 31st, 2019, 9:34 am

Greamone wrote:
July 31st, 2019, 9:23 am

Never tried to be honest but there is a cafe next to my property in Athens where I can go and try. Any flavour suggestions?
Yeah this is the stuff! I recommend trying a three toppings drink, or to start with Earl Grey (the regular). If it’s Gong Cha see if you can get a roasted lemon w/ white pearl & aiyu special. I recommend you get half sugar for the first one as well, I usually get no sugar if I get it from a store these days.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » July 31st, 2019, 2:13 pm

Freshman year of college. A bunch of us from the same dorm met up in New York during winter break. We grabbed dinner, and afterwards one person suggested we get some sweet tea for desert at a place nearby. Imagine my surprise when I discovered weird globules floating in my cup of tea. I quickly discovered that I don't enjoy eating chewy tapioca spheres, so instead I used my straw as a blow pipe to shoot them at passing taxis. Probably not my most mature moment.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 31st, 2019, 6:26 pm

Ya don't say, @blocho! :P

I've never been that big on bubble tea myself as I'm an avid drinker of all sorts of 'plain' teas, most of which I don't sweeten or use very little - like less than 2 teaspoons of sugar in 2 liters of ice tea. So the first problem with bubble tea is it's just so darn sweet. I have a Taiwanese bubble tea shop about three blocks from me but don't go there all that often. I look at that picture above and my first thought is, that's not tea and second, it's just not that appealing to me.

I think this shop does other things than the tapioca pearls (and by the way, I've have a few similar drinks from SE Asian markets over the years). It's been so long since I've been in there, I forget what I ordered, but I know I kept it quite simple. It might have just been a warm oolong to go, but I remember it still was way too sweet.

Will drink just about any tea straight other than the smoked teas (Russian caravan) and while I like a jasmine green, osmanthus, and I especially enjoy a rose black for iced tea in summer, I don't even do Earl Grey all that often any more, so I tend to avoid 'flavored' teas other than chai (and even that I mix my own in the pot these days).

Who knows, maybe I'll stop by the bubble tea shop on my way home from work on Friday and see what I can contribute to the conversation. ;)

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Greamone

Post by Greamone » July 31st, 2019, 7:13 pm

fori wrote:
July 31st, 2019, 9:34 am
Greamone wrote:
July 31st, 2019, 9:23 am

Yeah this is the stuff! I recommend trying a three toppings drink, or to start with Earl Grey (the regular). If it’s Gong Cha see if you can get a roasted lemon w/ white pearl & aiyu special. I recommend you get half sugar for the first one as well, I usually get no sugar if I get it from a store these days.
Thanx a lot! Will give it a try

fori

Post by fori » July 31st, 2019, 10:45 pm

xianjiro wrote:
July 31st, 2019, 6:26 pm
Ya don't say, @blocho! :P

I've never been that big on bubble tea myself as I'm an avid drinker of all sorts of 'plain' teas, most of which I don't sweeten or use very little - like less than 2 teaspoons of sugar in 2 liters of ice tea. So the first problem with bubble tea is it's just so darn sweet. I have a Taiwanese bubble tea shop about three blocks from me but don't go there all that often. I look at that picture above and my first thought is, that's not tea and second, it's just not that appealing to me.

I think this shop does other things than the tapioca pearls (and by the way, I've have a few similar drinks from SE Asian markets over the years). It's been so long since I've been in there, I forget what I ordered, but I know I kept it quite simple. It might have just been a warm oolong to go, but I remember it still was way too sweet.

Will drink just about any tea straight other than the smoked teas (Russian caravan) and while I like a jasmine green, osmanthus, and I especially enjoy a rose black for iced tea in summer, I don't even do Earl Grey all that often any more, so I tend to avoid 'flavored' teas other than chai (and even that I mix my own in the pot these days).

Who knows, maybe I'll stop by the bubble tea shop on my way home from work on Friday and see what I can contribute to the conversation. ;)
Funny, I actually agree with you on a lot of things here. If I buy bubble tea I usually get it from a store in Sydney called Tea Shop Express, where I will get Jasmine green with no sugar & one that the call “Gunpowder Green” with 1/4 sugar because it is so strong. I find most of the drink way too sweet, and don’t really like the fluorescent fakes in the picture posted. Perhaps I can post pictures of how I’d make it myself.
In terms of other toppings, I usually go with herbal jelly, but coconut jelly is also great, as are aiyu jelly and occasionally red beans. Massive bonus if you can find good quality flavoured pearls (the ones that use tapioca, NOT the impostors).

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » August 1st, 2019, 2:17 am

I love bubble tea. First discovered it in university, when a tea shop a few doors down from the store I worked in opened and they also sold bubble tea. Had to limit myself to going there once a week before my Saturday shift otherwise I would have had it every day. Also discovered great places in Chinatown in Toronto a few years later.

In Malaysia, there's a bubble tea franchise that is definitely sweeter (even though I order it "without sugar"... Malaysians (stereo)typically but sugar syrup/condensed milk in any drink they can, but it's grown on me so much that I've developed a bad habit (my coworkers know my order and use it to bribe/thank me sometimes). I've consciously cut down on how much I drink and I'm down to ~3/week.

Travelling right now for 2.5 months, and I don't crave it at all, but I'm sure the cravings will come back when it's so easily accessible (in the LRT station right next to the building where I work).

In Malaysia, I always got the grapefruit flavour (less sweet) until they discontinued it; now I get the lemonade one. I rarely venture beyond that. Back in Canada, though, I would regularly get mango or taro flavoured milk tea, or occasionally another fruit or chocolate one. And I always get the tapioca pearls.

After writing this, I'm tempted to go to Chinatown just for bubble tea next week while I'm home for a visit.

Edit: Oh, and I visited Taiwan for the first time in April, and almost forgot to have bubble tea there. Went to the place that's purported to have "invented" it, but didn't like it too much. Must be too used to the Malaysian version. Will give it another go if I ever go back.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 1st, 2019, 3:18 am

I work with a lot of Asians who are obsessed with the stuff. My boyfriend got into iced tea recently and got some bubble tea and liked it and I had a taste but it was gross. I just don’t like the taste of any drink that isn’t water (aside from 100% orange juice and the occasional choc milk). Idk if there are flavours that are less tea tasting though. The ball things in it were weird too.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » August 2nd, 2019, 12:44 am

xianjiro wrote:
I look at that picture above and my first thought is, that's not tea and second, it's just not that appealing to me.
It's tea the same way a mocha frappucino is coffee.
xianjiro wrote:
Genmaicha for when it's cold and Lu Shan Yun Wu tea for when I need a treat. Daily driver is English Breakfast Tea with milk and sugar, but I drink green tea straight. I like a nice Wihte Peony cup for relaxing.
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » August 2nd, 2019, 9:01 am

I find bubble teas vile, in my experience they have ranged from drinkable if you're thirsty to undrinkable. The one that I had that was undrinkable had wintermelon in, that stuff made me gag. I would never have any sort of milk with a tea drink as I enjoy the tea flavour and the binding proteins in bovine and soy milk sequester the polyphenols in tea.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » August 2nd, 2019, 1:46 pm

Personally, I find it rather disgusting.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » August 2nd, 2019, 9:42 pm

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 1:46 pm
why?

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » August 2nd, 2019, 10:33 pm

xianjiro wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 9:42 pm
GruesomeTwosome wrote:
why?
For many of the same reasons you cited earlier - too sweet, too much shit floating around in it, etc. I like only plain, hot tea.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » August 3rd, 2019, 3:19 am

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 10:33 pm
xianjiro wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 9:42 pm
GruesomeTwosome wrote:
why?
For many of the same reasons you cited earlier - too sweet, too much shit floating around in it, etc. I like only plain, hot tea.
cool. As that photo above stuck with me, I kept thinking those drinks look like they belong in and episode of Powderpuff Girls or something.

sol can find me here

wasabi

Post by wasabi » August 13th, 2019, 1:20 am

I liked bubble tea from Coco, Kung Fu Tea. You can choose how much sugar you want in their store from regular, 50%, 30% or non added sugar. I particular liked Green Tea Milk, which I sometimes made at home -- I used only milk and matcha powder. I'm trying vegan diet recently, so I used soy milk to replace milk.

fori

Post by fori » August 13th, 2019, 2:19 am

wasabi wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 1:20 am
I liked bubble tea from Coco, Kung Fu Tea. You can choose how much sugar you want in their store from regular, 50%, 30% or non added sugar. I particular liked Green Tea Milk, which I sometimes made at home -- I used only milk and matcha powder. I'm trying vegan diet recently, so I used soy milk to replace milk.
Yeah I occasionally used to go to Coco, one of the better ones. Which pearls did you get when you made it at home? I’d be interested if you could post a photo or share a similar product photo found online. I used to get one type of dry pearls that are black with white powder coating them and are very hard, but have now switched to ones that are brown all the way through and are very soft. In terms of the ethics of milk, my store of preference over here has soy milk as an option, and I have a soy milk machine at home so it’s easy there too.
Recently I’ve been switching between brown rice green and a cheaper tea I got a while back called restaurant green. When I’m at the store I’ve been getting a jasmine green, extra dry green or one explosively strong special called “gunpowder green”. This morning I actually went to Gong Cha for the first time in ages and got my old favourite “Roasted Lemon, White Pearl & Aiyu special” with quarter sugar and no ice. Usually I get no sugar no ice though.

wasabi

Post by wasabi » August 13th, 2019, 3:16 pm

Which pearls did you get when you made it at home? I’d be interested if you could post a photo or share a similar product photo found online.
I also had “Roasted Lemon, White Pearl & Aiyu special” from Gong Cha once. It's just OK for me, then I never had it again.
Sorry, I personally don't really like the taste of pearls, usually I don't order pearls at the store. I always order grass jelly or red beans. I recently started to use lentils to replace red beans at home, because I found the two taste very similar. I heard Taiwan pearls is good, but I never tried before. Might be easier to find perals at the Chinese supermarket.

fori

Post by fori » August 13th, 2019, 9:50 pm

Haha, Taiwan pearls are the ones I changed to. I will often get grass jelly (or herbal jelly as I think I called it earlier) and even make it at home when I can. I usually don’t get red beans though, tend to think it’s the wrong kind of topping. Red beans will disintegrate and make a sediment, so I prefer jelly-like solids such as grass jelly, pearls, aiyu, coconut jelly, etc.

wasabi

Post by wasabi » August 14th, 2019, 3:26 pm

I was watching "Day Day Up" the bubble tea ep, they have Chun Shui Tang as their guest: "the best and original taste of traditional tea, where the bubble tea first made".
Their pearls are only 8mm, which are smaller than usual pearls. The cost is about 3$.
They also mentioned good dry pearls can be easily smashed into powder.
Their recipe:
Add ice cubes in boiled hot tea(They use Sri Lanka tea leaves)
Add Tapioca Pearls
Add natural made fresh sugarcane syrup

Day Day Up link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQmY8yWGY9Y
At 23'50 they tasted Chun Shui Tang's bubble tea and said: "it's amazing, pearls taste very different than the other ones".
Chun Shui Tang's yelp page:
https://www.yelp.com/biz/%E6%98%A5%E6%B ... A9%E5%8D%8

fori

Post by fori » August 15th, 2019, 2:00 am

The pride of Hunan! I occasionally watch this channel with my wife, it’s a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing this wasabi, I’ll watch it tonight.