Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

Moving to the Netherlands

SkilledLunatic

Moving to the Netherlands

Post by SkilledLunatic » June 27th, 2019, 4:24 pm

Hey guys, I know it's been QUITE A WHILE since I visit the forum and I don't even know if the regulars still remember me but I came back because I remembered many of you guys happened to be dutch.

If you don't know/remember me, here's some backstory:

I was born in Ceará, in the Northeastern region of Brazil. When I was 7, my stepfather (which I consider my father) got an excellent job offer in Lisbon. So we migrated to Portugal and actually spent 11 years living there. We actually got a pretty good life in Portugal and got portuguese nationality B) for our time living there. However, my parents missed their families and back home my grandmother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. My mother terrified her mother would forget everything about us while she wasn't even there for her was the last straw that broke the camel's back and we moved back to Brazil.

I personally always wanted to comeback to Europe. However, I wanted to be there for my family. So, I enrolled in a public university and gave english classes for some extra money. I finished my Bachelor degree late last year and while giving English classes met the woman of my dreams, who also had a similar dream as mine THANK GOD!

So I spent this last semester, organizing my application to several european masters in my area. In late May, I FOUND OUT I WAS SELECTED FOR A MASTERS DEGREE AT THE UNIVERSITY OF AMSTERDAM :circle: :circle: :banana:
So me and my now wife are currently planning our move to Amsterdam and we have so many questions! For example, health insurance. Should we get the basic 100 euros plan or is it better to pay a little extra?
I've also learned that I might not even be able to take basic dutch health insurance because I'm only going as a student???

This is taking way too long to write so I will just add that ANY kind of assistance would be greatly appreciated and I hope I can participate in group meeting someday :wub:

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » June 27th, 2019, 5:26 pm

Though I have nothing useful to contribute, I rejoice for you and your wife! :banana:

Please be assured that you aren't forgotten on this forum.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

SkilledLunatic

Post by SkilledLunatic » June 27th, 2019, 6:11 pm

Awn 3eyes, thank you for the sweet message, it feels really good to know that <3

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » June 27th, 2019, 6:21 pm

Nice to see you again Skilled.

SkilledLunatic

Post by SkilledLunatic » June 27th, 2019, 6:23 pm

It's nice to come back here, I will def hang around :p

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » June 27th, 2019, 7:44 pm

Great to have you back!

As for your question about health insurance. I always stuck with basic plan, which is alright for all the regular stuff if you are basically healthy. Some people take extra dental coverage. I don't know the rules about immigrants though. Not sure when you can actually apply for Dutch health insurance, so best thing to do is to get informed by someone actually knows about this stuff.

And congratulations on finding the woman of your dreams!! :banana:

Once you're here, I'd be happy to meet up and I'm sure other Dutchies would be as well.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

SkilledLunatic

Post by SkilledLunatic » June 27th, 2019, 7:52 pm

Of course I’m asking all this stuff to the University, to the IND and dutch comsulates. But I did wonder if you guys have any tips about living there?
I’m very impressed that most dutch people I hear talking about insurance seem to have the most basic insurance!

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » June 27th, 2019, 8:12 pm

Basic insurance already covers a lot, so it's not that surprising.

Other tips about living here? Don't live in Amsterdam. Waaay too expensive to rent an apartment there. :P
ICM-profile

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » June 27th, 2019, 8:18 pm

Welcome back to the forum, Skilled! Of course I remember you. :cheers: Great to hear you found your dreamgirl. The Netherlands suck though, so good luck with that. tehe

May I request you to add an avatar?
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

SkilledLunatic

Post by SkilledLunatic » June 27th, 2019, 10:36 pm

I have no ideia why I don’t have an avatar! As soon as I get home, I will change it

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » June 28th, 2019, 10:06 am

Welcome back SkilledLunatic. And cool that you are moving to the Netherlands. Like Joachim said, after you settled here, we should do a meet with you.

About the health Insurance, like Joachim also said, a basic Insurance covers is probably enough for you. Especially when you are young and healthy. You could think about extra coverage for dental care or fysiotherapy (or any other care you really need but isn't covered (enough) by the basic plan). The more important question is how high you want to your own risk coverage to be, which will influence your monthly Insurance fee. Also which agency you chose is important, cause the fee and options vary. As a MA-student, you probably won't earn much I guess. So you could also look into the rules about getting a health care allowance.

Next important question indeed is where to live. Amsterdam is very expensive and probably impossible to get an apartment anyhow. (Unless there are special options for international students). I would advise to look into neighboring towns, like Haarlem. Also look into the rules about rental allowance.

Other tip: learn to ride a bike :lol:

SkilledLunatic

Post by SkilledLunatic » June 28th, 2019, 2:17 pm

Wow Lonewolf thanks a lot for the in-depth answer, I really appreciate it!
It’s good to know the basic insurance doesn’t cover dental plan, I won’t earn a lot as MA and the money I have saved is in BRL (4,6 Brazilian Reais = 1 Euro) so I want to be saving every penny. Dental expenses can be quite costly.
Fortunately, I *might* be getting an apartment in Amsterdam for only 800 euros through the UvA. If not I will definitely check out places like Haarlem and Almere.

Btw my wife has a degree similar to an Rbo (I think that’s the name) basically a 2 year degree in Culinary arts/Gastronomy. She is fluent in English and Portuguese, knows basic French but doesn’t know any Dutch. How hard do you guys think it will be for her to get some work?

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » June 28th, 2019, 2:34 pm

Great to see you on here again! You're definitely not forgotten!

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » June 28th, 2019, 2:49 pm

SkilledLunatic wrote:
June 27th, 2019, 6:23 pm
It's nice to come back here, I will def hang around :p
Hey, man, long time no hear! I think you're moving to the right place :lol:

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » June 28th, 2019, 3:58 pm

SkilledLunatic wrote:
June 28th, 2019, 2:17 pm
Wow Lonewolf thanks a lot for the in-depth answer, I really appreciate it!
It’s good to know the basic insurance doesn’t cover dental plan, I won’t earn a lot as MA and the money I have saved is in BRL (4,6 Brazilian Reais = 1 Euro) so I want to be saving every penny. Dental expenses can be quite costly.
Fortunately, I *might* be getting an apartment in Amsterdam for only 800 euros through the UvA. If not I will definitely check out places like Haarlem and Almere.

Btw my wife has a degree similar to an Rbo (I think that’s the name) basically a 2 year degree in Culinary arts/Gastronomy. She is fluent in English and Portuguese, knows basic French but doesn’t know any Dutch. How hard do you guys think it will be for her to get some work?
I don't know what an RBO grade is. But if your wife is looking for a job in the restaurant-catering-hotel business not speaking Dutch probably isn't a problem at all, especially not in Amsterdam. I guess everybody in that field communicates in English.

SkilledLunatic

Post by SkilledLunatic » June 28th, 2019, 4:36 pm

Lonewolf, it’s an MBO I meant lol

Btw love being here again Bal3x and Adam ^.^

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » June 28th, 2019, 8:21 pm

SkilledLunatic wrote:
June 27th, 2019, 10:36 pm
I have no ideia why I don’t have an avatar! As soon as I get home, I will change it
I suggest you pick an avatar RIGHT NOW, or the mods will IP ban yo' ass! :guns:
SpoilerShow
Hmm, Adam doesn't have one either. :o
Anywho, one good thing about the Netherlands is that they don't ruin movies on TV with dubbing and narrators and shit. So if your English is good enough and you're not bothered by Dutch subs, you're in the right place. :)
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

SkilledLunatic

Post by SkilledLunatic » June 28th, 2019, 10:08 pm

Thanks Adam for supporting my no avatar cause :cowbow:

I haven’t even thought about being able to watch every movie in their original language (in Brazil dubbing is a pretty big industry). Lammetje, Do Dutch cinemas have a intermission like in Portugal?

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » June 28th, 2019, 10:48 pm

Sorry Skilled!

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » June 29th, 2019, 6:59 am

SkilledLunatic wrote:
June 28th, 2019, 10:08 pm
Do Dutch cinemas have a intermission like in Portugal?
Pathé cinema doesn't do intermissions as far as I know.
ICM-profile

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » June 29th, 2019, 9:50 am

SkilledLunatic wrote:
June 28th, 2019, 10:08 pm
Thanks Adam for supporting my no avatar cause :cowbow:

I haven’t even thought about being able to watch every movie in their original language (in Brazil dubbing is a pretty big industry). Lammetje, Do Dutch cinemas have a intermission like in Portugal?
Most don’t anymore. (Luckily]. I only know one in Leiden that still does, maybe some other small one still do too.

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » June 29th, 2019, 7:32 pm

Good to have you back, Skilled, though I have to admit I haven’t been very active around these parts myself lately.
Let’s have a meetup once you’ve settled!
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM