Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

What happened to your previous mobile phone?

Where's your old phone?

kept it
49%
lost it
9%
gifted it
11%
sold it
9%
recycled it - it died
9%
trashed it - it died
6%
recycled it - too old
3%
trashed it - too old
No votes
Which previous phone? Still using my first!
3%
Never had one
3%

Total votes: 35

tazz_85

Re: What happened to your previous mobile phone?

Post by tazz_85 » August 11th, 2019, 8:35 pm

I have a Oneplus 5 since june 2017, and before i had a Oneplus One since 2015, i sold the 1+1 to a colleague at work who still used it untill last month. Don't know what he with the 1+1. It wasn't broken, he just wanted a new phone.
The 1+5 is still as good as new. Still fast, and getting monthly (security) updates. So i'm planning to use it for at least another year or so.

But i still have a backup phone, i still have my phone i had before the 1+1, which is a Sony Xperia S. I still love the design of that one :)

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » August 12th, 2019, 7:59 am

It's important to start recycling any devices not used as there's a lot of rare earth metals in phones that are very damaging to extract from the earth. Mostly rare earths are found in radioactive clays and the miners retrieving them get real sick. Here ends my sermon.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 16th, 2019, 12:16 pm

currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 17th, 2019, 8:45 am

My previous mobile phone got a second life starting today as the first phone of my oldest daughter.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 17th, 2019, 9:07 am

joachimt wrote:
August 17th, 2019, 8:45 am
My previous mobile phone got a second life starting today as the first phone of my oldest daughter.
:thumbsup: I hope she dont complain about it being an ancient artifact tehe
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 17th, 2019, 10:59 am

Armoreska wrote:
August 17th, 2019, 9:07 am
joachimt wrote:
No, she's extremely happy. We just bought a new wallet for it (what's the English word for such a thing?) and the shop only had one left for an iPhone 5c. Luckily for my daughter it was pink. ^_^
So now it looks like new again.
ICM-profile

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 17th, 2019, 8:00 pm

joachimt wrote:
August 17th, 2019, 10:59 am
Armoreska wrote:
joachimt wrote:
No, she's extremely happy. We just bought a new wallet for it (what's the English word for such a thing?) and the shop only had one left for an iPhone 5c. Luckily for my daughter it was pink. ^_^
You must mean a case.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 17th, 2019, 8:17 pm

Armoreska wrote:
August 17th, 2019, 8:00 pm
joachimt wrote:
August 17th, 2019, 10:59 am
Armoreska wrote:

You must mean a case.
I thought case is the word for the thing that only covers the back and the side.
ICM-profile

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 18th, 2019, 12:28 am

Well it's still a case.
https://www.google.com/search?q=wallet+ ... 66&bih=625
Mind, this is the first time I've heard this phrase or seen such a case. Now I'll know they're the wallet kind too. Tablets have similar full-cover/fold cases, but without the extra compartments. That probably disqualifies them as a wallet. Looks like those are called folio cases.
There are also pouch cases and sleeve cases for tablets.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 18th, 2019, 5:45 am

Armoreska wrote:
August 18th, 2019, 12:28 am
this is the first time I've ... seen such a case.
Seriously? I have always used such cases, because it also covers the screen. So many people with just a case on the back and side...... I don't get it. It protects against a lot of bumps, but if the phone falls the wrong way, the screen is broken. I don't get all those people as well who put their phone in their back pocket of their trousers without a decent case. And the result is clear. Many people have cracks in the screen, especially phones of kids are full of them. And then they expect their parents to buy a new one. I try to teach my kids to be cautious with property, not only expensive property but all property. Be grateful for what you've got and take good care of it. I hate to see how careless a lot of people are with material belongings.
ICM-profile

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » August 18th, 2019, 6:19 am

bal3x wrote:
June 25th, 2019, 12:46 pm
To be fair, it's not Apple who invented such "business model", it's been there for a long time already. All the others do exactly the same... I've read "conspiracy" theories claiming modern TVs are "pre-programmed" to last not more than 5 years.

I also heard a story about this guy who wanted to test the running shoes under warranty (don't remember the brand, probably Adidas or Nike), he basically wore them out completely, but they held up and disintegrated on the next day after the warranty expired :lol:

But this is all part of the bigger problem whereby the corporations don't want us to repair anything at all... just throw the old one in the bin and buy the new one... need to keep that business growing and shareholders happy...
That's not a conspiracy theory... Planned obsolescence is an economic theory first proposed in the 1930s and is very much the status quo today. It's not even a hidden thing, but it's definitely not advertised.