Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

Google Data Studio

blueboybob
Donator

Google Data Studio

Post by blueboybob » May 15th, 2019, 8:17 pm

So I am in the process of learning Google Data Studio. And to entice myself to learn it, I'm making it fun.

I've imported my IMDB ratings as my data subset and trying to make some charts/tables

Thought others may be interested in trying with their IMDB ratings. Maybe we can share some tips/tricks.

Anyway here is my very early start - https://datastudio.google.com/u/0/repor ... RTTD5Mbnz4

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » May 15th, 2019, 9:05 pm

I've used this for work a couple of times, but it's a real shit show imo. Random limitations, hacky solutions, unfinished functionality - it's very, very Google. It's okay for smaller projects, I guess it could work if it's just for analysing something like your own ratings, but within a work context I'd think twice about building anything sustainable on top of it.

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » May 15th, 2019, 10:26 pm

Good to know. Guess its back to pivot tables and Tableu.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » May 15th, 2019, 11:03 pm

I play around in R a lot more for stuff like this.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » May 16th, 2019, 2:29 am

Onderhond wrote:
May 15th, 2019, 9:05 pm
Random limitations, hacky solutions, unfinished functionality - it's very, very Google.
System error

Data Studio has encountered a system error.

Sorry, we encountered an error and were unable to complete your request.

Error ID: df777c21
Sounds about right. I also don't understand why all of google's cloud stuff (including the new gmail) is so fucking slow.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » May 16th, 2019, 8:28 am

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 2:29 am
Sounds about right. I also don't understand why all of google's cloud stuff (including the new gmail) is so fucking slow.
These are just complex apps that have to run in an environment that was never really built for it (=browsers). JavaScript is fickle, networks are fickle, browsers are fickle. In a way it's quite the accomplishment that they make what they make, but from a user's perspective it's just not all that great.

I'm not sure which browser you use, if you plan to work with Google Apps for a long time it's smart to move to Chrome, even if it's just when working with these Google apps.

The problem with GDS is that there's tons of potential and it's one of the richest suits out there (apart from things like Tableau of course), but where some features run very deep and powerful, other basic things are completely missing.