Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

Meditation

nimimerkillinen

Meditation

Post by nimimerkillinen » March 25th, 2019, 3:22 pm

do you meditate? prefer non-guided or guided or mix of both? any mantras or mundras etc?
was easy to get started with 10 day introduction thing with headspace then been using insight timer. seems like non-guided is the way to go for me atm, at least mostly
been meditating in the evening but ill try to start morning routine too
would like to make it at least 45 min daily, now ive been couple of days at 30ish

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » March 25th, 2019, 4:13 pm

Kind of. I've done week-long morning guided group meditation sessions a few times over the last 5 years, and sometimes in the months after those I'd carry the discipline of meditating on my own in silence, which I'd obviously never stick to because I'm not very conscientious or dutiful. Besides I have near constant rushes of intrusive thoughts and sometimes meditating I don't like what floats past.

But internalising pieces of the mindset and some of the techniques I found exceptionally valuable, and I do nowadays on the spur of the moment decide "OK, now just meditate for about 20-30 minutes", not even preparing to sit in the recommended posture or anything, just remaining still and aware wherever I am at the time. Besides I have frequent bouts of derealisation/depersonalisation and those do overlap or have a similar flavour to the moments 'bringing attention back to the present' at any point in the day. Like the protagonist of 'Memento' asking "Now, where was I?", those time intervals which function like liminal breaks in the story. Which Beckett or 'un homme qui dort' or 'Thomas l'obscur' (which I just started reading yesterday) I feel capture with unmatched intensity. Idk, maybe I'm just perpetually out of it and none of this has any relation to meditation whatsoever.

"Headspace' - That's an app, right? I'll try it out.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » March 25th, 2019, 4:53 pm

yea ive got horrible stuff floating aroud but allowing it to come and go seems to work a lot better than distracting myself and mostly lessens the power and intensity of those after the initial terror

dunno whats recommended posture. i might try some cushion thing but im doing relaxed crossed legs where other is on top. sometimes hads on feet sometimes upwards with the thumb and index finger mundra switching when feel like

ive got those kinds of problems too but not to that extreme memento degree but things dont seem real, cant recognize myself really in the mirror, wouldnt be surprised if everything dissapears. in my case maybe its the other side of coin of everything matters (too much)
just seen/read un homme qui dort out of those three

imo it definitely relates to meditation and being in the present but idk does it depend on the situation. if im caffeinated it can get very sour

yea, its an app, silly name because it indicated only the head side of it when its more about consciousness, heart and such. after introduction, insight timer has more free guided meditations if you are not up to paying (havent bought eithers subscription yet)

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » March 26th, 2019, 12:53 am

posture - At those group session it was the lotus position with a hard cushion to sit on. Some people sat on chairs though, and you could obviously just sit in some easier cross-legged position. Maintaining a correct posture is merely one of the things to possibly focus upon, a point of reference to always come back to whenever you start losing track / pursuing some line of thought. Breathing is the other big point of reference of course.

I'll report back when I try the two apps tomorrow morning.

So how long ago have you started, when did you get involved with meditation?
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » March 26th, 2019, 1:30 pm

Insight Timer is great, thanks for mentioning it. I'll start doing about 20-30mins each morning and evening, having the app on ones phone is a good reminder.

One thing I despise and try to avoid is "New Age" ideology and rhetoric of "personal growth", etc. If they seep into guided meditation, then my compounded scepticism if not gag reflexes immediately take me out and refuse to comply.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » June 30th, 2019, 6:24 am

Carmel1379 wrote:
March 26th, 2019, 12:53 am
So how long ago have you started, when did you get involved with meditation?
well, tried it few times when was on drugs but was so ungrounded and didnt know even quasi properly what it was about really so properly last year. had a couple of month break but started again now

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » June 30th, 2019, 6:25 am

Carmel1379 wrote:
March 26th, 2019, 1:30 pm
Insight Timer is great, thanks for mentioning it. I'll start doing about 20-30mins each morning and evening, having the app on ones phone is a good reminder.

One thing I despise and try to avoid is "New Age" ideology and rhetoric of "personal growth", etc. If they seep into guided meditation, then my compounded scepticism if not gag reflexes immediately take me out and refuse to comply.
cheers, yea, guided meditations can be very problematic for me. pretty much every visualization involved too since i got a lot of negative stuff going on and the visualizations would turn against themselves

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » June 30th, 2019, 6:25 am

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » June 30th, 2019, 6:26 am