Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 1968 awards (Jan 21st), Documentaries (Jan 26th), 2018 (Feb 17th)
Challenges: Russia, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Rosenbaum
World Cup: Quarter Finals schedule, QF-A (Jan 16th), QF-B (Jan 27th)
Film of the Week: Pisma myortvogo cheloveka

Style issues

PeacefulAnarchy

Style issues

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » July 9th, 2018, 4:41 am

There are multiple styles available, so hopefully there's something there that you like or can live with. That said, there are probably some small issues that may need fixing. I do plan on adding a basic layout which was requested by a couple of people in the next day or so, and later (in a few months) perhaps another style.

This is the thread to discuss anything that doesn't quite look or work right or make requests. I know some people don't like the icons. I don't know that I have the time to change them at the moment but I'll look. If someone designs something others like I'd be happy to replace them on some or all the styles. I can, and probably will, tweak the colours a bit.

So yeah any comments or requests of that sort go here.
Anything related to functionality can go in the FAQ thread

To Do list (shortish term):
Make stickies stand out more.
Next page button?

To Do list (longish term):
Toggle to dismiss preview post?
Toggle for smileys?

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » July 9th, 2018, 4:50 am

[prosilver, the default] I don't know exactly what is causing it but with a line that goes to the edge of the screen, the text is partially hidden behind the ! and " buttons, but oddly, not on your post, so it only happens some of the time?

here's a picture.

extremely minor, probably not something worth fixing, but, there it is.

oh and it did it to my post [attached photograph]

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » July 9th, 2018, 5:00 am

Yeah that was bothering me too, it's not on my post because mine is the first post and the thread title pushes everything down. It may or may not be tricky to fix this but I'll try.

Edit: Should be an easy fix, give me a few minutes.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » July 9th, 2018, 5:09 am

Done, it should be fixed.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » July 9th, 2018, 5:10 am

yup :thumbsup:

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 9th, 2018, 2:59 pm

I have the same problem on flat style if you could fix it pls.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » July 9th, 2018, 3:04 pm

Yup give me a bit.

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » July 9th, 2018, 3:07 pm

Can we get a favicon for the forum? Would make bookmarks look better.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » July 9th, 2018, 3:12 pm

Yes, I just don't know what it should be.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » July 9th, 2018, 3:17 pm

I'm liking SquareDark so far, except for the text in tables. Look at the difference:

prosilver:

SquareDark:

Pretty hard to read the normal text, because the background of a table is white. Either make default-color in tables black or change the background of a table to the color of a regular post.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » July 9th, 2018, 3:19 pm

Yes, I'll see about the best way to change that.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » July 9th, 2018, 3:46 pm

mightysparks wrote:
July 9th, 2018, 2:59 pm
I have the same problem on flat style if you could fix it pls.
This is fixed on flat. I'll double check the others.
Edit: Fixed on others

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » July 9th, 2018, 5:02 pm

blueboybob wrote:
July 9th, 2018, 3:07 pm
There's now a favicon in all the styles.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » July 9th, 2018, 5:20 pm

Some early stats:
Prosilver, the one with the most users is the default, so that doesn't tell us much.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » July 9th, 2018, 6:24 pm

joachimt wrote:
July 9th, 2018, 3:17 pm
I'm liking SquareDark so far, except for the text in tables. Look at the difference:

Pretty hard to read the normal text, because the background of a table is white. Either make default-color in tables black or change the background of a table to the color of a regular post.
I've changed this.

Test table:
This is a table Header
Thisis atable
withmultiple
rows

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » July 9th, 2018, 7:15 pm

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
July 9th, 2018, 5:02 pm
blueboybob wrote:
July 9th, 2018, 3:07 pm
There's now a favicon in all the styles.
And it is pretty sexy

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » July 9th, 2018, 7:18 pm

I wish it had a transparent background, I'll get around to that eventually.

Currently trying to find the best smiley box layout.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » July 9th, 2018, 8:32 pm

Smiley box fixed. You may need to refresh your browser a couple of times to make it look right

Should look something like this:

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » July 10th, 2018, 4:39 am

Doesn't look like that to me. I just logged in again and it still looks like yesterday (vertical, scrolling down a lot to get to the submit-button).
ICM-profile

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » July 10th, 2018, 4:52 am

joachimt wrote:
July 10th, 2018, 4:39 am
Doesn't look like that to me. I just logged in again and it still looks like yesterday (vertical, scrolling down a lot to get to the submit-button).
Press F5 and refresh. If that doesn't work try clearing cache (not cookies). What theme are you using? It should look like that in all themes.

72allinncallme
Donator

Post by 72allinncallme » July 10th, 2018, 9:53 am

The smiley box looks better now, but still huge/takes up a lot of space. Any chance of a hide/show box thingy that you can check/uncheck as you want?

Edit: Nvm, looks pretty sexy on PC.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » July 10th, 2018, 11:18 am

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
July 10th, 2018, 4:52 am
joachimt wrote:
July 10th, 2018, 4:39 am
Press F5 and refresh. If that doesn't work try clearing cache (not cookies). What theme are you using? It should look like that in all themes.
F5 didn't work, but clearing cache did.
ICM-profile

insomnius

Post by insomnius » July 10th, 2018, 11:54 am

Any chance you could separate the pinned threads from the ones with the latest posts? Always takes me a few extra seconds to find the most recent active thread while browsing the subforums, and the different icons are too similar to be of any help.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » July 10th, 2018, 1:18 pm

PdA's default blue color hurts the eyes if you're on SquareDark. I don't expect you to do anything about it, PA, I just hope PdA just uses a normal color for a change. <_<
ICM-profile

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » July 10th, 2018, 2:46 pm

72allinncallme wrote:
July 10th, 2018, 9:53 am
The smiley box looks better now, but still huge/takes up a lot of space. Any chance of a hide/show box thingy that you can check/uncheck as you want?

Edit: Nvm, looks pretty sexy on PC.
Maybe long term. Options are good but it's not something I can do easily. I'll probably move a few more smilies into the "more smileys" section, though

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » July 10th, 2018, 2:58 pm

insomnius wrote:
July 10th, 2018, 11:54 am
Any chance you could separate the pinned threads from the ones with the latest posts? Always takes me a few extra seconds to find the most recent active thread while browsing the subforums, and the different icons are too similar to be of any help.
It's certainly possible, I don't have time right now, but perhaps later today I'll do something. What I plan on doing (if it works) is changing the background on sticky threads in the index to be darker (or lighter in squaredark I suppose).

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » July 10th, 2018, 2:58 pm

joachimt wrote:
July 10th, 2018, 1:18 pm
PdA's default blue color hurts the eyes if you're on SquareDark. I don't expect you to do anything about it, PA, I just hope PdA just uses a normal color for a change. <_<
Not sure how you can stand that SquareDark setting, I think it's awful. :pinch: I'm liking the Flat Style one the most so far, the default ProSilver was OK, as was SquareGray but I'll probably stick with Flat.
Last edited by GruesomeTwosome on July 10th, 2018, 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I thrive best hermit-style.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » July 10th, 2018, 3:07 pm

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
July 10th, 2018, 2:58 pm
joachimt wrote:
Not sure how you can stand that SquareDark setting, I think it's awful. :pinch: I'm liking the Flat Style one the most so far, the default ProSilver was OK, as was SquareGray but I'll probably stick with Flat.
When I try squaredark I like it for a bit but then it's too dark. I think my issue is I always turn the brightness down really low on my monitor/phone and that doesn't mesh well with an already dark theme. On a brighter screen it looks ok to me. I don't like flat, everything it changes is for the worse. I guess that's why we have options, though.

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
insomnius wrote:
It's certainly possible, I don't have time right now, but perhaps later today I'll do something. What I plan on doing (if it works) is changing the background on sticky threads in the index to be darker (or lighter in squaredark I suppose).
Something like this is the plan:
Shouldn't be too hard to do.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » July 10th, 2018, 8:06 pm

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
joachimt wrote:
I tried SquareDark for two days. I just switched to Flat and I'll use that for two days as well. Maybe some others after that. It's just not something I can decide by browsing a few minutes.
The biggest advantage so far of Flat compared to SquareDark is that the difference between a thread with unread posts and a thread without is much clearer. In SquareDark I had to focus to see which thread I had and hadn't completed yet. In Flat I can scroll faster and still notice.
ICM-profile

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » July 10th, 2018, 9:48 pm

Yeah the iconsdon't really work in square dark. I know some don't like them on any theme but they just blend in too much in square dark.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 10th, 2018, 10:07 pm

Flat is my favourite, I just think it’s more visually appealing and the larger font makes it a lot easier on my terrible eyes.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

insomnius

Post by insomnius » July 10th, 2018, 10:39 pm

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
July 10th, 2018, 3:07 pm
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
insomnius wrote:
Yeah, that would work. Thanks.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 11th, 2018, 1:58 am

I think you fixed in this during one of the tests but clicking on a read thread takes you to the last page, but not directly to the latest post. Or did it previously take you to the first page and is this the fix?

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » July 11th, 2018, 2:09 am

mightysparks wrote:
July 11th, 2018, 1:58 am
I think you fixed in this during one of the tests but clicking on a read thread takes you to the last page, but not directly to the latest post. Or did it previously take you to the first page and is this the fix?
Yes, this is the fix, doing what you want is too complex for now. Maybe I'll surprise you with in 4 months when everyone has gotten used to this way.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » July 11th, 2018, 4:33 am

insomnius wrote:
July 10th, 2018, 10:39 pm
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
July 10th, 2018, 3:07 pm
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
Yeah, that would work. Thanks.
I went less dark and didn't do alternating colours (though I may fix that later) but it should be up on prosilver and on the others soon

Done in all except prosilver SE, there's something preventing the change and I'm not up to finding it at the moment.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » July 11th, 2018, 4:57 am

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
July 11th, 2018, 2:09 am
mightysparks wrote:
Yes, this is the fix, doing what you want is too complex for now. Maybe I'll surprise you with in 4 months when everyone has gotten used to this way.
If you click on the icon to the right of the username in the "Last Post" column, it'll take you to the last post.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 11th, 2018, 5:44 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
July 11th, 2018, 4:57 am
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
mightysparks wrote:
If you click on the icon to the right of the username in the "Last Post" column, it'll take you to the last post.
Awesome :thumbsup:

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » July 11th, 2018, 5:46 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
July 11th, 2018, 4:57 am
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
mightysparks wrote:
Cheers Maxwell! Hadn't noticed that and I was finding it a tad cumbersome scrolling down the last page of a thread.
That's all, folks!

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » July 11th, 2018, 11:38 am

Sorry for asking this again, but I cannot find the earlier thread I asked this on, probably got deleted on the test forum - can anyone point to the help section which explains the meaning of these symbols - I understand the basics, but what's the difference between fire, bulb and line symbols? The star as I figure means you have posted in the thread?

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » July 11th, 2018, 12:23 pm

I think the line symbols represent a normal thread, whereas the fire means "normal thread with more than x (30?) replies" and the "!" (that's what you call the bulb, right?) means it's a sticky.
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM