Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 8 released June 27th)
Polls: 1950s (Results), 1974 (Jun 28th), 2010s (Jun 30th), 2019 awards (Jul 11th)
Challenges: TSPDT, 1960s, China/Hong Kong/Taiwan
Film of the Week: Il ferroviere, August nominations (Jul 31st)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2D: Estonia vs Spain (Jul 5th)

Announcement of absence

funkybusiness
Donator

Re: Announcement of absence

Post by funkybusiness » August 20th, 2019, 1:41 am

enjoy the business, maxwell.

Mate_cosido

Post by Mate_cosido » August 21st, 2019, 1:13 pm

I don't think i'll be participating here much anymore, i only posted on the challenges anyways and didn't even rate the movies so i don't think i contribute much, i'll try to keep participating in some polls though, speccially the 500<400 and the DtC

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » August 21st, 2019, 9:12 pm

Mate_cosido wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 1:13 pm
I don't think i'll be participating here much anymore, i only posted on the challenges anyways and didn't even rate the movies so i don't think i contribute much, i'll try to keep participating in some polls though, speccially the 500<400 and the DtC
I love your taste in films and have enjoyed reading your posts in the challenges (although ratings would always be interesting!!). Hope you don't go dark completely, Mate_cosido.
That's all, folks!

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » August 21st, 2019, 11:31 pm

Mate_cosido wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 1:13 pm
Boo! I've been missing you in the challenges, though I understand if you need a break. Still feel free to come play and hang out any time, though!

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » October 3rd, 2019, 10:35 am

I haven't been super active posting in a while, but I still want to say that I'll be gone for a month from Oct 18 to Nov 17.

I'll be hiking the Annapurna Circuit in Nepal during that time. I might have some wifi here or there, but I think I won't use it much. I plan to not stare at my phone, but rather stare at the mountains.

Anyway, if I use my phone, I intend to update my friends and family via a blog. You can have a look then, although I likely just post in German: http://mountains-and-me.com/ (It's still in development).

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » October 3rd, 2019, 1:16 pm

metaller wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 10:35 am
I haven't been super active posting in a while, but I still want to say that I'll be gone for a month from Oct 18 to Nov 17.

I'll be hiking the Annapurna Circuit in Nepal during that time. I might have some wifi here or there, but I think I won't use it much. I plan to not stare at my phone, but rather stare at the mountains.

Anyway, if I use my phone, I intend to update my friends and family via a blog. You can have a look then, although I likely just post in German: http://mountains-and-me.com/ (It's still in development).
Wow, that's pretty cool, metaller. Enjoy Nepal! :thumbsup:

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » October 3rd, 2019, 1:33 pm

metaller wrote:

Wow, indeed. Good luck with your travels, bro! :thumbsup:

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » October 5th, 2019, 2:51 am

I'm back, sort of - commented on what's been going on a bit elsewhere. But I didn't mention that I really haven't been watching movies much, in addition to other, "life" issues. I dunno how some people do it year after year decade after decade, I always need a break and I've had one for the most part. Probably only 50-60 movies seen in the last 3 months and many of those were old favorites. A bit more TV than usual, and reading and listening to a lot more music than I had been. But now, and probably for the next...I don't know how long, several weeks at least, I probably won't be doing much at all other than family and finance stuff, uggh. But I'll try to post here at least occasionally, I do think I'm likely to get back on the movie horse again at some point, and I don't want to lose track of people here as I've lost track of everybody in my past.

flaiky

Post by flaiky » October 6th, 2019, 10:30 am

metaller wrote:
Aagh I'm jealous! I spent a week in Nepal as part of my big trip earlier this year, and really wished I had longer. We did a three-day hike in the Annapurna region and it was stunning. Pokhara is a fun place to spend a few days, too, we happened to be there for Holi and it was buzzing. Also did a rafting trip nearby, which I highly recommend if you can fit it in. Kathmandu has several great historical sites (do go to Bhaktapur, even stay a night there if you haven't booked everything yet) but unfortunately the hassling is even worse than in India. You can still see rubble from the earthquake in places and the air is horribly dusty and polluted in the city.

We didn't have much trouble with wifi - even all the tea-houses seem to have a modem which is quite insane. It might be harder when you're right in the mountains though, we didn't get higher than about 5,000 feet.

I'd love to hear about it when you're home. You're really making me want to go back.
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » October 9th, 2019, 1:30 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 2:51 am
I'm back, sort of - commented on what's been going on a bit elsewhere. But I didn't mention that I really haven't been watching movies much, in addition to other, "life" issues. I dunno how some people do it year after year decade after decade, I always need a break and I've had one for the most part. Probably only 50-60 movies seen in the last 3 months and many of those were old favorites. A bit more TV than usual, and reading and listening to a lot more music than I had been. But now, and probably for the next...I don't know how long, several weeks at least, I probably won't be doing much at all other than family and finance stuff, uggh. But I'll try to post here at least occasionally, I do think I'm likely to get back on the movie horse again at some point, and I don't want to lose track of people here as I've lost track of everybody in my past.
welcome back, OldAle... I did notice you were gone for awhile; good to see you again.

kingink

Post by kingink » October 27th, 2019, 7:14 pm

Hello! If this was 2017 I should have posted that I would probably be absent for a couple of years... hehe.
Sorry for the long absence...
How are you guys? Curious to see how many people that I know are still active.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 27th, 2019, 7:45 pm

kingink wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 7:14 pm
Hello! If this was 2017 I should have posted that I would probably be absent for a couple of years... hehe.
Sorry for the long absence...
Hey, that's been a long time! Great to see you back. Everything well in Greece?
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

kingink

Post by kingink » October 27th, 2019, 7:52 pm

Hello Joachim! Glad to see you still active. Everything good! You? Your girls? Hope everything is fine.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » October 27th, 2019, 7:56 pm

Always glad to see a regular return.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 27th, 2019, 7:58 pm

kingink wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 7:52 pm
Hello Joachim! Glad to see you still active. Everything good! You? Your girls? Hope everything is fine.
Of course I'm still active. Would be weird if I wasn't. :rolleyes:
I'm hosting the 4th (!) season of the World Cup. We just started it. Too late to become a manager, but from December the 1st we'll start watching movies, so stick around!
In real life things are fine. Girls are doing well, growing up, 6 and 9 already.
ICM-profile

kingink

Post by kingink » October 27th, 2019, 8:00 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 7:56 pm
Hi!!! How are you? Good to be back :)

kingink

Post by kingink » October 27th, 2019, 8:03 pm

joachimt wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 7:58 pm
kingink wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 7:52 pm
Of course I'm still active. Would be weird if I wasn't. :rolleyes:
I'm hosting the 4th (!) season of the World Cup. We just started it. Too late to become a manager, but from December the 1st we'll start watching movies, so stick around!
In real life things are fine. Girls are doing well, growing up, 6 and 9 already.
I knew you would be here :lol:
Good to hear everything is good. :thumbsup:
I am willing to stick around so I can watch some films for the World Cup .
I haven't given up on film-watching... Some things can't change.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » October 27th, 2019, 8:04 pm

kingink wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 8:00 pm
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
Doing fine. Lots of terrible things happened in 2017 (which you can see in some threads), but I'm doing much better now.

kingink

Post by kingink » October 27th, 2019, 8:07 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 8:04 pm
kingink wrote:
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
Doing fine. Lots of terrible things happened in 2017 (which you can see in some threads), but I'm doing much better now.
Oh... Well that's life. It sucks sometimes, but I am really glad you are doing better now!

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » October 27th, 2019, 8:16 pm

kingink wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 8:07 pm
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 8:04 pm
kingink wrote:

Oh... Well that's life. It sucks sometimes, but I am really glad you are doing better now!
Indeed. If you're curious you can pm me, and I think we're friends on facebook so you could message me there too.

I actually been playing more video games rather than movies now actually. I feel like I have a lot of catching up to do for that medium, and feel like I mastered the hobby of seeing films. I pretty much just try to see the new releases that look interesting (new meaning they just got online as opposed to just new movies).

Angel Glez

Post by Angel Glez » October 27th, 2019, 8:56 pm

Welcome back, kingink!

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » October 27th, 2019, 10:15 pm

kingink wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 7:14 pm
All is great, and honestly, I think everyone who was there in '17 are still here. We even had another meet up in Malta (back in May).

You witnessed the massive FG exodus to ICMtoo I believe, happy to report most stuck around.

Obviously not all are as active as they/we once were, but that always happens.

We are also gearing up for the 3rd edition of the ICM Film Festival, which you actually have entirely missed (continuation of the FG Film Festival). Starting in less than two weeks and the line-up is out. Usually one of the highlights of the year.

frbrown

Post by frbrown » October 27th, 2019, 11:00 pm

Great to have you back, kingink :cheers:

kingink

Post by kingink » October 28th, 2019, 6:46 am

Good to be bak here with you guys, frbrown!

And what? You have film festivals now? Ohhh... fancy stuff! I will check that out gloede because I have no idea how this festival idea works in a forum.

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » October 28th, 2019, 6:59 am

Welcome back, kingink. :thumbsup:

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » October 28th, 2019, 7:46 am

kingink wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 6:46 am
And what? You have film festivals now? Ohhh... fancy stuff! I will check that out gloede because I have no idea how this festival idea works in a forum.
Slightly more solitaire, but it essentially goes like this:

Base idea
Every November we sit down and watch + discuss underseen recent films together. Programmers work for months in advance to give us a great line-up, and a jury is selected to vote on the films. There is also an audience vote.

Stage 1: Programming
- There is a call for programmers, they pledge to see at least 3 recommendations from each other programmer.
- Films have to have less than 20k votes on iMDb and be from the last 4 years to be eligible (cut off date this time '16)
- A thread and they share films for about 8-9 months. Non-programmers can also comment and make recommendations.
- Films with a certain degree of support become eligible for the festival
- A shortlist is made for the main slate
- A centrepiece is chosen

(Programmer's thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4213&hilit=programmer)

Stage 2: Jury Selection and Line-up
- Jurors are invited to volunteer, they commit to see all of the main slate + at least one of the smaller categories
- The jurors have a big say on the final main slate, trimming down the shortlist based on what they are interested in
- Once the main slate is set, the programmers create the line up for each category
- A start and end date are set
- Jurors decide between themselves who judges each category, there should be at least 3 per grouping

(This is the point we are at currently: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4571&view=unread#unread)

Stage 3: The Actual festival
- Threads are created for each category, including the main slate
- The Jury leaves reviews for each film and discuss
- Everyone can watch and/or comment
- If someone watches every film in a category/slate they can become jurors as well
- Once the festival closes jurors vote/negotiate for each slate, and the audience can chime in as we deal out awards

-

Hope you stop by. (Or join in) ;)

kingink

Post by kingink » October 28th, 2019, 12:58 pm

oh my freaking god... what?
I will check to see how many films do you have to see to participate. You guys are freaks! This is what brought me back here though :P B) :D

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » October 28th, 2019, 1:25 pm

kingink wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 12:58 pm
I will check to see how many films do you have to see to participate. You guys are freaks! This is what brought me back here though :P B) :D
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

The programmers are the heroes.

I'm just a juror.

Essentially the jurors commit to see 14+ films over 3 weeks (minus anything already seen). So not too bad.

I don't have the free time I used to, but I still aim for about 20+ films whenever the FGFF/ICMFF comes around, it's really worth it. Of course you can just join the festivities as an audience member, with no commitments, and claim the juror role if you see enough.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » October 28th, 2019, 2:54 pm

@kingink nice to see you back in here! :) I've not been too active on here lately, but I'm trying to follow things.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » October 28th, 2019, 2:58 pm

bal3x wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 2:54 pm
@kingink nice to see you back in here! :) I've not been too active on here lately, but I'm trying to follow things.
I assume the political thread was too much? Hope it wasn't cause of me.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » October 28th, 2019, 3:17 pm

I have a bug that's proving very stubborn (everyone in our orbit has it but they're more resilient than us old folks) and have just been feeling too weak to watch anything but escapist stuff.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 28th, 2019, 5:42 pm

kingink wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 12:58 pm
Nah, that's nothing, check the horror challenge, those are the freaks around here. tehe
ICM-profile

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » October 28th, 2019, 6:12 pm

3eyes wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 3:17 pm
I have a bug that's proving very stubborn (everyone in our orbit has it but they're more resilient than us old folks) and have just been feeling too weak to watch anything but escapist stuff.
Not the worst mode to be in. What have you been watching?

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » October 28th, 2019, 6:30 pm

Great to see you back on here kingink!

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » October 28th, 2019, 7:09 pm

St. Gloede wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 6:12 pm
3eyes wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 3:17 pm
Not the worst mode to be in. What have you been watching?
Bingeing on British whodunit series - my escapist go-to.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » October 28th, 2019, 7:11 pm

Definitely enjoyable, never really thought about what my "sick daze" films are, will pay attention next time.

Coryn

Post by Coryn » October 28th, 2019, 7:21 pm

For me it's documentaries and coming of age movies.

Hope you feel better soon
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » October 28th, 2019, 7:59 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 2:58 pm
bal3x wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 2:54 pm
I assume the political thread was too much? Hope it wasn't cause of me.
Not at all, man :) I've just been quite busy with other stuff, but politics is something I understood I better avoid in order not to get into unnecessary arguments with people.. I've learned my lessons.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 28th, 2019, 8:38 pm

Hey Kingie, welcome back! :)
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

kingink

Post by kingink » October 29th, 2019, 2:33 pm

Hi lammetje and Adam! Good to be back