Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

Announcement of absence

Carmel1379
Donator

Announcement of absence

Post by Carmel1379 » May 2nd, 2018, 1:42 am

I had the cheapest brick Nokia my whole life until I got the iPhone SE two years ago. And now we're inseparable.

I think we need a new thread...
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

sebby

Post by sebby » May 2nd, 2018, 2:13 am

Carmel1379 on May 1 2018, 07:42:06 PM wrote:I had the cheapest brick Nokia my whole life until I got the iPhone SE two years ago. And now we're inseparable.

That's the one I have. You can one-hand this baby. It's not one of those giant multiplex screens that only fit in an XL fanny pack or briefcase. (l) (l) (l)

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 2nd, 2018, 3:47 am

sebby on May 1 2018, 08:13:24 PM wrote:
Carmel1379 on May 1 2018, 07:42:06 PM wrote:I had the cheapest brick Nokia my whole life until I got the iPhone SE two years ago. And now we're inseparable.

That's the one I have. You can one-hand this baby. It's not one of those giant multiplex screens that only fit in an XL fanny pack or briefcase. (l) (l) (l)
:lol: he wrote "fanny" :lol:

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 2nd, 2018, 8:00 am

joachimt on Apr 30 2018, 04:29:27 AM wrote:I'll be off on vacation in an hour. I'll bring my laptop, but I have no idea about wifi-quality etc... I hope I'll be online to start WC Match 1H in a few days......
Seems I'm online more than I thought...... :whistling:
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » May 2nd, 2018, 9:27 am

I resisted getting a mobile until I was 27, kept a brick for many years after that.

Thing is when you then get your hands on a smartphone, you become an addict.

WalterNeff
Donator

Post by WalterNeff » May 14th, 2018, 5:36 pm

Traveling this week, won't be posting much. Back in action Sunday 20 May

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » May 14th, 2018, 7:10 pm

Enjoy your travels!
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » May 25th, 2018, 6:34 am

Will be going camping with the family over the weekend. No 'net.
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » May 25th, 2018, 6:55 am

enjoy the out-of-doors! (assumption.)

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » May 25th, 2018, 8:28 pm

Enjoy!

I'll be on holidays for one week with friends, in a presumably beautiful house near the beach. :thumbsup:
Leaving tomorrow, returning next Saturday. Not sure if I'll be here during those days.
RokP 250

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » May 29th, 2018, 5:22 am

Aaaand we're back. Spent the weekend underground in the Carlsbad Caverns National Park in Southeastern New Mexico, right on the border with Texas. We walked 775 feet down into a cathedral-like stalactite cavern. Absolutely stunningly beautiful (the pictures on Wikipedia do not even come close to doing it justice)! And then at dusk we saw the bats (primarily Mexican Free-tailed Bats) that inhabit part of the caverns leave for their breakfast run. I'm guessing we saw between 50-100,000 bats leave. From beginning to end it took about 30 minutes. It was amazing!

We spent the nights in a tent in an RV campground near the Park. We managed to avoid the worst of the heat (102F), but it was still pretty darn hot. Lotsa sunscreen.

ImageImageImageImage

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » May 29th, 2018, 5:24 am

well, you enjoyed the underground, so I was incorrect in my assumption. apologies.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 29th, 2018, 5:35 am

Why are the cool places not in Australia :(
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » May 29th, 2018, 5:45 am

mightysparks on May 28 2018, 11:35:33 PM wrote:Why are the cool places not in Australia :(
because Australia is very hot.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » May 29th, 2018, 6:19 am

mightysparks on May 28 2018, 11:35:33 PM wrote:Why are the cool places not in Australia :(
I know people who travel to Australia to see things like Ayer's Rock (apologies, I've forgotten the newly reinstated Aboriginal name for it) and Coober Pedy. The Sydney Opera House and Bondi Beach. There's lots to see in Australia.
ImageImageImageImage

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » May 29th, 2018, 6:50 am

Uluru, and if you wanna climb it, better go now, they're closing it down (?... yeah.) next year.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 29th, 2018, 7:13 am

Knaldskalle on May 29 2018, 12:19:39 AM wrote:
I know people who travel to Australia to see things like Ayer's Rock (apologies, I've forgotten the newly reinstated Aboriginal name for it) and Coober Pedy. The Sydney Opera House and Bondi Beach. There's lots to see in Australia.
A rock, a random opera building and a beach aren't cool places :'(

I want jungles and caves.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » May 29th, 2018, 4:31 pm

mightysparks on May 29 2018, 01:13:52 AM wrote:
Knaldskalle on May 29 2018, 12:19:39 AM wrote:
A rock, a random opera building and a beach aren't cool places :'(

I want jungles and caves.
Isn't that what you have in Queensland? Gondwana Rainforests (numerous National Parks), Wet Tropics of Queensland, Naracoorte Caves National Park, Hastings Caves State Reserve, Jenolan Caves and Mammoth Cave:

Mammoth Cave, Western Australia, about 300 km South of Perth. That's relatively close to you.
ImageImageImageImage

WalterNeff
Donator

Post by WalterNeff » July 11th, 2018, 12:35 am

Traveling through July 17. Will have intermittent internet access.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » July 25th, 2018, 9:46 am

My laptop isn't working so won't be posting much but will still have access on my phone. Thankfully we have a mobile version of the site now at least.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » July 28th, 2018, 3:28 am

I'll be traveling from Monday through Wednesday of the following week(7/30-8/8) and probably won't have Internet access during that time.
ImageImageImageImage

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » July 28th, 2018, 6:09 am

I'll be on vacation from Monday the 30th of July. I won't be online at all and will probably be back at August the 14th.

I'll start the next FotW on Sunday evening as usual. After that the first two FotWs of August will be started by Armoreska. I sent him the code for the posts.

The deadline for WC 1L is August the 8th while I'm away. Mario will count the scores and declare the winners after the deadline.

The deadline for submission of movies for round 2 of the WC is August the 17th. I'll be back by then. You can keep sending me your PMs. I'll read them when I'm home.

If anything in the header needs updating (August challenges......), ask a mod to do so.
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » April 20th, 2019, 7:02 am

I'll be on vacation 22-29 April. I don't expect to be online at all.
ICM-profile

Coryn

Post by Coryn » April 20th, 2019, 8:16 am

joachimt wrote:
April 20th, 2019, 7:02 am
I'll be on vacation 22-29 April. I don't expect to be online at all.
What's your destination?
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » April 20th, 2019, 8:27 am

Kos, Greece
ICM-profile

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » April 20th, 2019, 4:03 pm

joachimt wrote:
April 20th, 2019, 8:27 am
Kos, Greece
Enjoy!

*checks weather in Kos*
*checks weather in New Mexico*

Ooh, looks like we'll have slightly warmer weather than Kos. B)
Of course, we don't have the ocean anywhere near here...
ImageImageImageImage

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » April 21st, 2019, 8:21 pm

Enjoy your holidays, JT!
RokP 250

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 5th, 2019, 7:46 am

Going on vacation in a few hours. This time not so far, just a little over an hour drive to the north of The Netherlands (Slotermeer in Friesland). Will be back in two weeks.

I will read the forum, but won't be very active. Info updates and stuff like that might take a while.
ICM-profile

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » August 5th, 2019, 7:53 am

Enjoy your vacation!

Kowry

Post by Kowry » August 7th, 2019, 8:13 pm

Well I haven't been very active on this forum for years - my last post was what, a year ago - and I have pretty much stopped watching movies. I'm probably not going to return to them anytime soon either, so I don't think I will be posting here anymore.

But now that I decided to login for some reason, I was reminded what a good community this was. Thanks for the fun times, guys.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 7th, 2019, 8:47 pm

Kowry wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 8:13 pm
Well I haven't been very active on this forum for years - my last post was what, a year ago - and I have pretty much stopped watching movies. I'm probably not going to return to them anytime soon either, so I don't think I will be posting here anymore.

But now that I decided to login for some reason, I was reminded what a good community this was. Thanks for the fun times, guys.
:mw_confused: what happened?
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Kowry

Post by Kowry » August 8th, 2019, 5:38 am

Armoreska wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 8:47 pm
Kowry wrote:

In short, I found other things to do. Have become more active socially, found new activities to spend time on that feel more fulfilling than watching movies.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » August 8th, 2019, 3:15 pm

Kowry wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 5:38 am
Armoreska wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 8:47 pm
Kowry wrote:

In short, I found other things to do. Have become more active socially, found new activities to spend time on that feel more fulfilling than watching movies.
Good to hear! You're always welcome back - and you don't need to be much of a movie watcher either.
ImageImageImageImage

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » August 10th, 2019, 7:17 am

I found myself mostly lurking a few times a week since my movie watching drastically dropped to maybe one film a week. Won't be completely leaving though.
RokP 250

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 14th, 2019, 7:04 pm

joachimt wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 7:46 am
Going on vacation in a few hours. This time not so far, just a little over an hour drive to the north of The Netherlands (Slotermeer in Friesland). Will be back in two weeks.

I will read the forum, but won't be very active. Info updates and stuff like that might take a while.
Just got back home. We decided to go home a few days earlier. Too cold, too much rain, too much wind. There was a little beach at a lake near the campsite, but not even once was the weather good enough to go swimming there. There are lots of lakes and rivers connecting them in that neighborhood, but not once was the weather good enough to rent a boat (well, maybe without kids I would have, but not with my 6 and 8 year olds). We had lovely trips though: a few times cycling, several museums, visiting villages, stuff like that. But camping wasn't fun enough to continue. The wind even broke our tent. We weren't there when it happened. The neighbors actually saved the tent by fixing it and making some adjustments. Otherwise it would have been blown away. Several caravans on that campsite lost their tent that day. After the windy day, it got colder. The last two nights my wife slept with extra sweaters on top of the sleeping bag. I often couldn't sleep because of the heavy rain. Then in the morning the first thing you see when you step out your tent, is mud. Normally I really enjoy camping and don't mind a little rain now and then, but this time I really wondered what the hell we were doing there. We have a nice warm big house. What's the point of staying on the campsite then?
ICM-profile

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » August 14th, 2019, 7:13 pm

joachimt wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 7:04 pm
joachimt wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 7:46 am

Just got back home. We decided to go home a few days earlier. Too cold, too much rain, too much wind. There was a little beach at a lake near the campsite, but not even once was the weather good enough to go swimming there. There are lots of lakes and rivers connecting them in that neighborhood, but not once was the weather good enough to rent a boat (well, maybe without kids I would have, but not with my 6 and 8 year olds). We had lovely trips though: a few times cycling, several museums, visiting villages, stuff like that. But camping wasn't fun enough to continue. The wind even broke our tent. We weren't there when it happened. The neighbors actually saved the tent by fixing it and making some adjustments. Otherwise it would have been blown away. Several caravans on that campsite lost their tent that day. After the windy day, it got colder. The last two nights my wife slept with extra sweaters on top of the sleeping bag. I often couldn't sleep because of the heavy rain. Then in the morning the first thing you see when you step out your tent, is mud. Normally I really enjoy camping and don't mind a little rain now and then, but this time I really wondered what the hell we were doing there. We have a nice warm big house. What's the point of staying on the campsite then?
Ugh -- sounds like a really disappointing vacation. My mindset for camping has always been "if necessary." I'm happy to camp if necessary to experience something cool, but if I can easily retreat to a motel then I far prefer a bed and a shower. Example: I camped at Mojave National Preserve because the nearest accommodations was a two hour drive from where I wanted to hike, but I stayed in a motel when visiting Joshua Tree.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 14th, 2019, 7:17 pm

This is the current weather in The Netherlands. I'm glad I'm home.

ICM-profile

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » August 14th, 2019, 7:50 pm

My father lived in Den Haag for four years. He told me that one time it rained for 26 days in a row. Reminds me of Scotland, actually.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » August 19th, 2019, 10:52 pm

I posted in the challenge thread, but I'll post here too: I'm on a business trip the next three days, and have no idea when/if I'll be able to check in here. But I'll be back Friday...