Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 2019 (Feb 16th), Mini-series (Feb 29th), 2009 awards (Mar 3rd), Favorite Movies (Mar 21st), Doubling the Canon (Mar ??)
Challenges: Academy Awards, Africa, African American/Blaxploitation
Film of the Week: Doa al karawan, March nominations (Feb 28th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1D: Australia vs Hungary vs Portugal vs Tajikistan (Mar 1st), 1E: Czechia vs France vs Georgia vs Mexico (Mar 18th)

Announcement of absence

metaller
Donator

Re: Announcement of absence

Post by metaller » November 19th, 2019, 4:52 pm

metaller wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 10:35 am
I haven't been super active posting in a while, but I still want to say that I'll be gone for a month from Oct 18 to Nov 17.

I'll be hiking the Annapurna Circuit in Nepal during that time. I might have some wifi here or there, but I think I won't use it much. I plan to not stare at my phone, but rather stare at the mountains.

Anyway, if I use my phone, I intend to update my friends and family via a blog. You can have a look then, although I likely just post in German: http://mountains-and-me.com/ (It's still in development).
Hey guys. I'm back from Nepal. It was a blast. Hands down the best vacation 've ever gone on. Everything was even better than I imagined it to be.
If you love the outdoors and hiking, it is one of the best destinations you can chose.

Coryn

Post by Coryn » November 19th, 2019, 5:00 pm

Welkome back and thanks for the tip !
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

Good_Will_Harding

Post by Good_Will_Harding » November 23rd, 2019, 6:48 pm

Back on after a mostly unplanned, months-long hiatus. I went into detail in another thread, but can copy and paste the text here, since it's largely relevant to the content of this thread as well:
For the majority of the summer and going into the fall, I was feeling extremely similar. As many have observed, it happens periodically from time to time, but I'm usually able to shake myself out of the funk and can come back from the fog after a short period of time. But somehow, the disillusionment and disinterest in my biggest hobby wound up lasting for much longer than I'm used to - practically through the entire summer and headed into the fall as well. Looking back it could be attributed to any number of things;

I.) Being burnt-out or overtired from work. Don't get me wrong, I still very much enjoy my line of work and find my job generally fulfilling. But as of late, we've been short staffed (which requires those of us still here to pull double, sometimes triple the work) and the caseload of patients for most of this year has been particularly difficult, moreso than what's generally expected of this workplace.

II.) The lack of any seriously interesting viewings options on most of the major streaming services (mainly Netflix, but I haven't found Amazon Prime or Hulu to have an especially interesting selection this year either).

III.) The crop of new releases from 2019 haven't exactly been the most interesting or memorable. And I'm normally the last person to write off an entire year so early on, but apart from a select few (off the top of my head, Us, The Farewell, & Once Upon a Time in Hollywood are the only really noteworthy films released before September), almost everything I've seen from January til August of this year has largely been forgettable, if not momentarily entertaining while watching. And that's without comparing the state of things to the outstanding spring / summer crop from 2018.

One rare upside during this whole funk was that around the middle of summer (late July/early August), I connected with a coworker of mine that's also very much into film, and with nearly the same tastes as me. I've had friends before that were into film as a hobby, but never to this degree (heavily knowledgeable with classics & also a strong interest in non-English language fare). Needless to say that we got into a routine of going out for dinner & a movie meetups on at least a weekly basis for just about a two month period and have obviously become very good friends in the process.

Can't really get into this next part with much detail (HIPAA is a helluva law), but to sum up; I received an injury at the workplace during the first week of October, which involved having my jaw broken by one of the patients at the facility I work in. Following this, I had my jaw wired shut for two weeks and was out of work this whole time, with hardly the strength or energy to get out of bed, let alone pick and choose anything I wanted to watch. Since returning to work and regaining my health, my disillusionment towards film has returned with triple the resolve (largely attributable to the lingering trauma from the incident and the increasingly uncertain mood at the workplace since then). I still see newer releases at my previous rate and the films overall have gotten a bit better, but I don't feel as emotionally connected towards anything I've watched in the past month, even while noting the general increase in quality.

And lastly, on a more personal note, my relationship with the coworker who I previously mentioned has been strained a bit since my return. Again I won't get into many specifics here, but we've sort of fallen out of the routine lately and, despite my best efforts, haven't really gotten back into it just yet. There's plenty of possibilities for potential future screenings with the both of us, but this sudden stalemate of both a regular viewing habit and a close friendship has also no doubt contributed to putting a damper on my interest in film, let alone my spirits as a whole.

To end things on a positive note, I've recently sought professional help to help me cope and process my recovery, and I'm hopeful that my friendship with the coworker will be mended in time. At least I hope so. :unsure:
Last edited by Good_Will_Harding on November 23rd, 2019, 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » November 23rd, 2019, 6:52 pm

Sounds like a rough time GWH - I can certainly empathize, especially lately, though my problems have been pretty different.

I have gotten somewhat back into film but I don't necessarily see that lasting, I dunno - also pretty down on this year's films so far but I'm way behind and have seen little non-American stuff so perhaps that will change.

I'll be going on the road tomorrow to visit my brother and family over Thanksgiving, be gone probably 10-12 days, and don't know how much I'll be posting during that time. Could be a lot if bro is spending all his time trying to get laid as he has been for the past couple of months but we'll see.

Good_Will_Harding

Post by Good_Will_Harding » November 23rd, 2019, 7:01 pm

Thanks. I've read here about your recent struggles as well and also want to offer my condolences. One of my great uncles passed during the period of time while I was offline, but the impact and emotional toil is surely smaller than losing a parent. I too hope to get away and spend time with my family during the holidays. More than most previous years, I've decided to really bury my head in all the obviously commercialized Thanksgiving / Christmas / New Years trappings and traditions, in the hopes of at least keeping my head above water during this time. On the positive end, my sister recently got married, so that should occupy a decent amount of attention, while also keeping the mood mostly elevated. Which reminds me, I should also make a post in the 'holiday movies' thread at some point too, since I've been finding myself watching a decent chunk of yuletide schmaltz lately. :think:

sol
Donator

Post by sol » February 3rd, 2020, 12:37 pm

Does anyone know if Peaceful Anarchy is okay?
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 600 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » February 3rd, 2020, 2:18 pm

sol wrote:
February 3rd, 2020, 12:37 pm
He's been online yesterday, so not absent, but he's quiet indeed. He keeps postponing things lately.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

sol
Donator

Post by sol » February 3rd, 2020, 2:49 pm

joachimt wrote:
February 3rd, 2020, 2:18 pm
sol wrote:
He's been online yesterday, so not absent, but he's quiet indeed. He keeps postponing things lately.
Yeah, I noticed. I got worried when I saw that he hadn't checked any films on iCM for three weeks, but when I saw that he had been active here I was like "ah, okay", but now I'm wondering if there is something else going on. I just hope he isn't put off by some of the snarky comments on the Favourite Directors thread. I appreciate everything that he does for our forum.... even if he refuses to budge on making Oscar Best Documentary Official, lol.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 600 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » February 3rd, 2020, 5:26 pm

sol wrote:
This is not the thread to ask such questions! You should ask here! :angry:
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
More memorable quotesShow
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » February 10th, 2020, 4:17 am

Just a heads up, I'm traveling for work and may not be around much, if at all this week.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » February 10th, 2020, 4:57 am

enjoy workin', max.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » February 10th, 2020, 2:24 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 4:17 am
Just a heads up, I'm traveling for work and may not be around much, if at all this week.
Have fun traveling... hopefully they don't stick you in MA again since the weather isn't so great right now (though it could be a billion times worse, so I shouldn't complain). :whistling:

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » February 22nd, 2020, 11:14 am

Hey.. I'm moving to my sister's, and she doesn't have internet, so, there's a hit or miss chance my posting will be rather rare in the coming few months. (Hopefully it won't, but, if it is, that's the reason why.)

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » February 22nd, 2020, 12:24 pm

Nathan Treadway wrote:
February 22nd, 2020, 11:14 am
Hey.. I'm moving to my sister's, and she doesn't have internet, so, there's a hit or miss chance my posting will be rather rare in the coming few months. (Hopefully it won't, but, if it is, that's the reason why.)
Best of luck with your move, Nathan. You'll be missed!

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » February 22nd, 2020, 6:31 pm

Wow, didn't even know there still existed any places without internet. :)

But I hope you'll enjoy moving in there and hopefully you'll keep the chance of getting here!
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM